Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
At diamond 4-5 today, I ran into a lot of priest, mostly the Galakrond Thief spell version but a couple resurrects as well. It pushed me back with my Highland Hunter and Albatross still seems to be played enough to sabotage spell mage. Looking at the highland quest Shaman for my next attempt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

I'm at a conundrum. I've always enjoyed this game, and was contented to reach "Dad Legend". Now that the gates are opened up for easier LEgend, I tried to make it but got stuck at Diamond 1, 2 stars three times and have currently slipped back to Diamond 5. At this point I'm not having much fun and only want to get Legend since they may make it harder again next month. I'm feeling pretty bummed, guess I always did suck at the game beyond an amateur armchair level.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Good points. I'm just going to continue playing decks I like at a reasonable pace and not worry about Legend, unless it happens to come naturally.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

From a flavor point of view, I'm glad Augmented Porcupine found a home, as well as its cousin spell Scavenger's Ingenuity.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

What is the optimal deck against Demon Hunter? It's been a lot more fun just hovering around D5 and playing Spell Mage, but it loses hard to DH and they seem to enjoy BMing me. Looking to gatekeep for the last day to keep them out of Legend.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Julio Cruz posted:

depends

do you rope on t1 before making the extremely difficult decision to use your hero power

If you don't do this and don't emote, you get a pass.

AnacondaHL posted:

Warrior.

You have to get an extremely unlucky draw paired with the most aggressive DH opener to lose, otherwise you crush them with minimal decision points.

Cheap deck too, assuming you got the Galakrond's Awakening adventure already.

Thanks for the info.. I need to get my Warrior win rate up. Would you recommend the Quest version or Egg version?

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

Can anyone recommend a good base Wild Spellmage I can waste some dust on?

I played a few last month with this one, it might be worth a shot:

### Wild Burn
# Class: Mage
# Format: Wild
#
# 2x (1) Arcane Missiles
# 1x (1) Evocation
# 1x (1) Ice Lance
# 2x (1) Learn Draconic
# 1x (1) Magic Trick
# 2x (2) Ancient Mysteries
# 2x (2) Frostbolt
# 2x (2) Incanter's Flow
# 2x (2) Primordial Glyph
# 2x (2) Research Project
# 2x (3) Arcane Intellect
# 1x (3) Explosive Runes
# 2x (3) Forgotten Torch
# 1x (3) Ice Block
# 2x (3) Netherwind Portal
# 2x (4) Fireball
# 2x (5) Apexis Blast
# 1x (6) Aluneth
#
AAEBAf0EBqwBwAGP0wKi0wL/nQPFuAMMuwKrBLQElgW6FpjEArT8AvSrA/GvA8G4A8K4A4G/AwA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

I piloted Quest Druid for about 10-6 to Diamond last night and this morning (forgot to turn on deck tracker the first few games). It took a hit without Loti and Mr. Floop, but while Bog Beam is the only AoO card in it, it pulls its weight heavily, as do Steel Beetle and Rising Winds from Galakrond's Awakening.

It also has the advantage of the opponent expecting to play against Spell Druid or Big Druid and mulliganing according to that.

The Druid quest is one of my favorite cards ever as it supports my preferred play style of prepare at the beginning then hit hard mid-to-late game (plus the nature theme), so if anyone else likes it, I'd at least recommend playing around with it.

### Quest Druid
# Class: Druid
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (0) Innervate
# 1x (1) Untapped Potential
# 1x (1) Worthy Expedition
# 2x (2) Crystal Merchant
# 1x (2) Power of the Wild
# 2x (2) Rising Winds
# 2x (2) Steel Beetle
# 2x (2) Wrath
# 1x (2) Zephrys the Great
# 2x (3) Bogbeam
# 2x (4) Swipe
# 2x (5) Anubisath Defender
# 2x (5) Oasis Surger
# 2x (5) Starfall
# 2x (6) Hidden Oasis
# 2x (6) Nourish
# 1x (9) Cenarius
# 1x (9) Ysera, Unleashed
#
AAECAZICBiT3A/ihA9yiA/yjA/atAwxAVl/+AcQGqaIDyKID76ID2akD+bUDxrcD7roDAA==
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Find this deck on https://hsreplay.net/decks/ayLRCfqvc4O66TpjMrhm2e/

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

No Wave posted:

The thing about old yogg is that the power level is waaaay higher now in general. Clearing a board and summoning a few minions and drawing a card was absolutely devastating back then, you actually couldn't do it on 10 mana without yogg.

Your avatar betrays that you're just a Yogg Saron cultist disseminating his propaganda.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Goons Are Great posted:

Is there any deck in existence that uses Bulwark of Azzinoth?
I feel so sad that it's my first golden legendary draw in like, two expansions and no one ever uses it ever in any deck. :smith:

I like shields and am a huge fan of it, but as this DH and lackey-heavy meta goes, there's too much pinging damage for it to be useful. I'd hold on to it though, it may end up being useful some day. I hope.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

Also, MeatiHS has an infographic on how to play Risky Skipper in Engrage Warrior :

https://twitter.com/MeatiHS/status/1258370573589192704

That's a great writeup.

I started playing HS a little while after the Grim Patron decks, but it seems like Warrior has had a lot of the "tough to pilot" decks now and in the past. Which is odd since, from a lore standpoint, it's probably the class with the least brains.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

One person brought up Arena, it would be hard to use Zephrys or DQ Alex or any Highlander card there. If you get it early you can avoid doubles, but if you get it late it may be unplayable if the condition were based on starting deck criteria instead of current deck state. Unplayable except as a vanilla minion that is.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Made it to Diamond 5 with Secret Gala Rogue, the version with two spy mistresses, two ambushes and one of each of the other secrets.

I almost made it there a few days ago with Warrior, but had a few bad games against supposedly good matchups. Kudos to those who can really play it well.

My final "boss" was a warrior who seemed to have no idea what he was doing, playing Risky Skipper on turn 1, etc. My guess is it was someone at the D5 gateway experimenting?

I agree with the Priestess of Fury nerf, but think the crimson nerf was too harsh. Normally D5 will be my stopping point but I'd like to reach Legend once especially after narrowly missing it last month. Any recommendations?

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Turncoat Mommy posted:

Legend is the new dad legend. I went from never bothering to hit legend to hitting it while at work. I managed to climb with this fun mess of cards, beating a sea of demon hunters and other non-warriors who did not respect my damage from hand:

### Burn
# Class: Warlock
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (1) Elven Archer
# 2x (1) Leper Gnome
# 2x (1) Plague of Flames
# 2x (1) Sinister Deal
# 2x (1) Soulfire
# 1x (2) Bloodmage Thalnos
# 2x (2) EVIL Cable Rat
# 2x (2) EVIL Genius
# 2x (2) Expired Merchant
# 2x (2) Kobold Sandtrooper
# 2x (2) Nether Breath
# 2x (4) Nightshade Matron
# 2x (4) Twilight Drake
# 2x (5) Crazed Netherwing
# 1x (5) Dark Pharaoh Tekahn
# 2x (6) Hand of Gul'dan
#
AAECAcn1AgLtBYKlAw6FA5IFzgeNCLSRA4idA/qkA/2kA/OnA52pA+WsA+ysA7W5A7a5AwA=
#

Stole your deck and played a few games in casual, and it's pretty powerful. What are your optimum mulligans? Do you go hard for Hand of Gul'dan in most matchups or do you look more for Leper Gnome / Sandtroopers with Plague of Flames? Just wondering how you optimized it in getting to Legend.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Made it to Diamond 2 with Pirate Warrior yesterday (thanks Anaconda for the guide), going to try climbing some more today after some work meetings.

I played with my wild Galvadon deck last night, and it almost seems like the buff to Aldor Attendant has rendered the quest obsolete. It's [edit: the Attendant] a better one drop in many cases and enables rapid buffing of minions while the quest seems clunky and, while easy to complete, I never really used Galvadon and would have done better with something else in my opening hand. Maybe it would work better only keeping the quest against slower decks and mulliganing it against faster ones? Just treat that quest as a mid-late game one-off Learn Draconic.

Jolly Jumbuck fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 21, 2020

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Made it to Diamond 1, 3 stars, had a great opening hand, now back to diamond 2. I should probably just quit the game, it's more stressful than fun now.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Is the meta just rapidly shifting? When I was going through Diamond 2-1 as a highlander hunter, I found tons of face hunters and demon hunters. Now, in the same ranks, I haven't gone against a single one of those and got kicked back down to Diamond 3 after fighting tons of Rogue and Warrior. If it's a shifting meta, I don't mind, otherwise this is adding to my frustration. I normally play casually and for fun, but if there's selectivity of opponents at higher ranks to work against, that's pretty discouraging.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

My first ever Top 1k Legend finish, and back into Top 200 Americas in BGs (after three months).

May was a Good Month :toot:

Congrats!

I got to my highest rank, Diamond 1 3 stars and took a little break after sliding. I don't really enjoy trying hard to climb, but want to do it at least once. Per Blasmeister, I may hold off on that until aggro is more viable and just enjoy playing around with fun decks at D5 for now.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Iain Banks, The Player of Games posted:

All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance; the same description may be applied to the best, most elegant and both intellectually and aesthetically satisfying games. By being unknowable, by resulting from events which, at the sub-atomic level, cannot be fully predicted, the future remains malleable, and retains the possibility of change, the hope of coming to prevail; victory, to use an unfashionable word. In this, the future is a game; time is one of the rules. Generally, all the best mechanistic games - those which can be played in any sense "perfectly", such as a grid, Prallian scope, 'nkraytle, chess, Farnic dimensions - can be traced to civilisations lacking a realistic view of the universe (let alone the reality). They are also, I might add, invariably pre-machine-sentience societies.

The very first-rank games acknowledge the element of chance, even if they rightly restrict raw luck. To attempt to construct a game on any other lines, no matter how complicated and subtle the rules are, and regardless of the scale and differentiation of the playing volume and the variety of the powers and attributes of the pieces, is inevitably to schackle oneself to a conspectus which is not merely socially but techno-philosophically lagging several ages behind our own. As a historical exercise it might have some value, As a work of the intellect, it's just a waste of time. If you want to make something old-fashioned, why not build a wooden sailing boat, or a steam engine? They're just as complicated and demanding as a mechanistic game, and you'll keep fit at the same time.

An interesting take from a sci-fi book I read recently.

I do enjoy the randomness of Hearthstone, though I can't play it too much or too hard or its enjoyment will wane for awhile. It is a mix of skill and luck, like Poker. Am I better than world-class poker players? Not even close. Could I beat or tie one in a single, fixed betting round? With over 50% probability yes, without even looking at my hand. With a pot and defined betting structure, they'll murder me over many hands, but anyone can win a single round. Same with HS, lesser skilled players can beat higher-skill players, but that doesn't happen as often over many games.

It's possible that HS may have some cards that push RNG too much. Nobody would want a card printed that was, say, a 10-cost spell that's effect was "You have a 40% chance of destroying the hero, otherwise destroy your hero". It wouldn't be fun or interactive to lose to, even if your opponent playing it gave you a win exactly 60% of the time. This was sort of the issue with the original Rogue Quest from Un'Goro, it wasn't OP, just a potential for a quick win with almost no counterplay. There are some games where the opponent gets a nut draw or you get a poor draw where it might seem that way. If your opponent is playing Murloc Paladin and you don't have any taunts or AoE clears in your hand, then the game kind of resolves itself to a "probability you draw a taunt or AoE in the next few turns" equals winning, one minus this probability of losing, so it almost feels like it can be random. Ultimately, it was due to strategic play of small fish monsters at a high risk of knowing an AoE could kill them that caused the loss, not just a roulette roll at the beginning. A risky strategy rewarded with a win under your drawing conditions, not a roulette wheel.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Shockeh posted:

Merrily bouncing around in Gold 1-3 because of the sea of no-intent-to-win Priests.

I've just gone against 3 in a row at D5, and even though I went 2-1, it's killing my desire to play.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

I guess introducing a new class was a good way to drum up hype, and DH isn't so bad in Standard anymore, but those first couple weeks were a little painful and I got burned a couple times today playing Wild after resting from those Priest matches in Standard. At least DH players aren't BMing me almost every match like they used to.

I maintain my position that if a new class was to be added, it should have been Monk. It could take on the role of tempo Priest that never really got off the ground instead of hyper-aggro.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

I get that ranked is play to win, but when my win rate trying to use a janky rogue deck to push up to 500 is 0 due to Cubelock and Odd DH, it just seems... unfun. Does a 1000 win warlock really have fun mucking around Diamond in wild playing that deck?

I guess so, but between tons of priests in standard and a few cookie cutter decks in wild, the meta is becoming pretty punishing to those who just want a 40% win rate or less to farm golden heroes. I don't mind losing, but these losses aren't fun. I really preferred Year of the Dragon, minus the latter part of the Doom in the Tomb event.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

My favorite decks in Standard are definitely Spell Dragon and Enrage Warrior, along with Spell Mage as a lower tier but fun one. Standard had mostly been fun since DH's third or so nerf (not counting Twin Slice), but playing against Priest is painful, especially the glut I faced last week. I almost wish there were a way to block one class from being your opponent, but I guess that could make things too predictable or remove key weaknesses from some decks.

Wild is fun to farm hero wins at lower ranks, but at higher ranks (D10 or above) it was all Odd DH, Cubelock and Secret Mage and really a slog.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Goons Are Great posted:

Having an absolute blast getting back to legend via elemental quest mage. It's so refreshing to play something almost not random but not without the fun of Solarian screwing the board entirely anyways.

Is this a standard or wild deck?

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Given the mage and rogue nerfs out of nowhere, I'm wondering if there are cards coming up in the new expansion that would render them excessively powerful, kind of like Divine Favor got nerfed for the RoS secret synergy.

Fan of the nerfs though.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

PneumonicBook posted:

Things like mana cheating and Zephyrs dont lead to interesting interactions, just frustration when your opponent high rolls (or really any time Zephyrs gets played). It seems like awful game design but Im just a dad legend guy so maybe Im wrong.

Zephrys isn't too bad IMO. He can act to close out close games, but that's where Highland restrictions matter in terms of limited card availability. Otherwise, you have to use him carefully around your mana crystals and board state to keep him useful. DQ Alex, while I do like her, was more high-rolling and less skillful in my opinion.

I'm a little biased against DH for a few reasons. First, they seem to BM at a high rate than any other class I've played against, but that seems to have dropped as the nerfs hit and the meta settled. Second, a DH with a 1'cost Altruis cleared my vastly superior board and hit me hard in the face at the time I made D1 3 stars and I couldn't make it back after that. Third, I'd have preferred the monk if they were dead set on adding a new class. It could fill kind of a tempo priest role, healing minions and using them on curve with moderate card draw but instead we got hyper aggro. Not the worst thing and still fun most of the time, but definitely a step down from Year of the Dragon. Looking forward to the next expansion now.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Did some streamer play a Dragon Hunter that utilizes Scavenger's ingenuity, Scrapshot, Ramkahen Wildtamer and King Krush with Leoroxx? I just went up against it twice and they both got Leorexx by turn 10 and BMed me before killing me. It was serious deja vu.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Color Printer posted:

They're changing weapon cards to look more like the other cards rather than metallic gray with colored borders around the art (which got a little hard to distinguish) so we'll probably see at least one dual-class weapon.

Good thinking. They could do Paladin/Warrior, Warrior/Rogue or Demon Hunter/Hunter. They could also surprise implement a 0/3 Warlock/Priest 'weapon' as well. EDIT: Looks like the dual-class legendaries are all professors, so it's highly unlikely for a 0/3 weapon now that I think about it.

At first I couldn't wrap my head around Transfer Student, but then realized it's similar to the "Unidentified" spells of KnC and RoS, but the effect for this, and any similar card they may print in the set, is known for both players once the match begins.

The warrior legendary looked too slow at first, but could be insane to cheat out with Boom Reaver or Dimensional Ripper. Guess it depends on the meta, but it certainly can't hurt the 'Big Warrior' build.

Jolly Jumbuck fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jul 14, 2020

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Is Transfer Student just banned in the upcoming tournament since it's new, or is it banned in all future tournaments for its reliance on board state? I'd assume the former since it's similar to the "Unidentified" spells, but I could seeing it completely banned for being too board swingy.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Devo posted:

That DH card rules. They should have made DH the “gently caress with your opponent” class with cards like that and Mana Burn, instead of the “better than you at everything” class.

That's not a bad identity, but if the remaining DH cards are similar in power to pre-nerf DH cards from AoO, this could be problematic. I'm not getting good vibes from this, unless it proves to be an effective priest disruptor.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

The more I think about it, Glide might not be so bad. It'll help encourage an aggro/tempo meta. This is still with my earlier caveat that DH doesn't get excessively good cards in addition, like some of the pre-nerf cards, or DH will steamroll again and excessive nerfs aren't fun.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Think this is just a worse Spirit Of The Tiger, which was incredibly niche.

I don't think this is quite a fair comparison because with SotT, you had to pay 4 mana for a 0/3 minion to get the effect. This is a one mana over costed 2/2 weapon that can persist for a turn (barring weapon removal) and use the effect well the next turn if needed, not a grossly over costed 0/3.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

gandlethorpe posted:

The power level this expansion seems off the charts, yet not broken (for the most part). And they're not shying away from combo pieces. Nothing's even felt like pack filler yet in the ~65 cards they've revealed.

That's a good point. If they want to keep the game fresh, they'll have to do some changes over time. This is a good start - making tons of different effects, including hand and deck mixing, all at once. It doesn't seem like they're trying to even push a specific archetype or cards to build decks around for any class outside of soul shards, just a bunch of interesting mini combo pieces.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

WHY do they keep giving Kripp reveal streams?

Kibler and Allie are much more ~bubbly~ and enthusiastic. Someone must really have a fetish for flat-affect delivery and 'surprise' that only causes his voice to rise a quarter-octave.

Agreed, for this first time since... whenever I started playing or they started doing reveal streams, I didn't watch. Not because the set doesn't look interesting (it's super exciting looking) but I wanted to wait and read them later instead of watch Kripp.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Got Gandling (golden), Gidra, Janice Barov, Slate and Alura from 85 packs. I wonder if anyone else gets higher ratios of dual legendaries to single class or neutral.

Not bad, but none in the top tier of what I'd hoped for. Still got plenty of gold and dust for more.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Chernabog posted:

How did you open them? Was there a fireside thing?

Yeah, you can make your own event today or this weekend and open any packs you preordered.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

orangelex44 posted:

I think Gandling and Alura are really good. Barov and Slate are going to end up in something, Highlander if nothing else. Gidra... I honestly don't know. I don't play a lot of either Druid or Shaman. I feel like she definitely fits in Shaman but who knows if that class as a whole will still be relegated to dumpster tier. I don't know if she makes the cut in the current Druid ramp meta either.

I probably misspoke. What I meant was not the top based on my preferred play style, but I agree with you that Gandling, Alura and likely Gidra are solid cards.

Fireheart was the #1 I was/am hoping for and still have a lot of epics to round off, especially Secret Passage.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

I too got a legendary from this Tavern Brawl pack. Interestingly, I knew it before looking at card glow colors because it gave me 100 coins for the "one of everything" achievement. Since I was only missing one card, Natalie Seline, I knew it had to be her.

Follow up question - I now have all classic legendaries plus Sylvanas and Prophet Velen. Does Ragnaros need to be crafted or is it obtainable from a classic pack after all standard classics have been purchased? If he can't be obtained from a pack, I guess my next classic legendary will have to be a non-golden Tinkmaster Overspark.

Regalingualius posted:

So what are you all expecting to be the “oh poo poo we hosed up” cards that are going to need an emergency nerf this time around?

My money’s on Glide.

Secret Passage seems like one of the strongest cards ever printed to me. I can't see it staying like that unless I'm missing something big.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

First off: Flavor text has officially peaked with Loremaster Polkelt

Wow, this was a good haul. From preorder I'd gotten 5 legendaries, including a golden Gandling from the 5 golden packs.

Today, for the mega bundle reward got Golden Vectus, with Soulciologist Malicia as the freebie. I got several of the legendaries I was hoping for, including Fireheart, Omu, Polkelt (golden) and Krastinov. Also got a bunch of epics plus Alabaster, and the griefing cards Stelina and Illucia.

Flayer posted:

How weird! I had the exact same thing just happen except my legendary was Nozdurmu (which I had previously dusted a golden version of...).

Spooky that it happened like 5 minutes after reading your post!

Haha, nice real life RNG there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Tried a Quest Druid deck with Runic Carvings, and it worked surprisingly well in the one game I played where I outvalued a priest. It turns out that if you play Runic Carvings on an empty board after you've activated the Osiran Tear, then you'll summon 4 regular treant totems and then 3 treant totems with rush. I thought it would be just 4 treant totems with rush based on the wording, but it's two separate effects. You get overloaded 2, I presume even if you have 3 or more minions on the board and can't summon any with rush... they should, in keeping with the spirit of optimizing Choose One cards to give you the effects in the best order, reverse this unless they remove overload if you don't put any rush ones on the board.