Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Wow, the main twist or whatever you wanna call it has actually made me think I might not like this. It's real hard to imagine it done well..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Also a hearty lol to anyone unironically saying Abby is unrealistically buff

Just lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lmao I knew exactly what this was gonna be before I clicked it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yardbomb posted:

Man, The Evil Within 2 was a lot of fun, replayed it not that long ago because I remembered they put the FPS mode into the game, which was a really cool shtick for a return playthrough.

I desperately hope there's a 3vil Within someday, Sebastian is a great character and both games were super fun to play. They're seriously almost as good as RE4 imo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Terminal autist posted:

Did anyone confirm if abby is trans or was that just a rumor

I think it's insanely unlikely and just gamers being gamers

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I will say this, if - and it's a giant if - the game pulls off the protagonist switch, I'll be seriously impressed. It just seems suuuuuper unlikely.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

JustaDamnFool posted:

Having that one collectable mentioning the past subjects was a huge mistake because it turned the finale into a dumb numbers game when that poo poo clearly didn't factor into Joel's decision at all.

The point of the ending isn't that decision anyway. It's the decision to lie to Ellie, and her decision to believe it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Telephone spoiler summaries are always gonna be extremely suspect, and doing a switch to Abby is so drastic that I feel like it kind of has to be done fairly well.

What I mean is, this game has had a lot of time, oversight, and a hefty legacy to live up to. If people haven't been playing and giving the feedback "yes, I like this story" then I feel like it would have been changed.

This isn't an indie studio that can afford to say "gently caress you, this is our ~vision~", if they haven't extensively tested this poo poo out then that'd be an uncharacteristically big whoopsie.

Hell, Uncharted 4 sounds dumb as gently caress on paper: Nate has a brother and a nemesis he's conveniently never mentioned at all and now he's back and you're expected to care about him (and even play as him briefly)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A valid opinion but most uncharted fans liked 4 a lot.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Amy Hennig's version would have been better.

If not better, at least "more interesting", but I'm still pretty drat happy with how well Sam turned out as a character. It definitely wasn't a Poochie sitch

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zeta Acosta posted:

also lol if cyberpunk 2077 comes out and manages to tell a mature story with engaging gameplay after naughty dog no fun allowed magnus opus

"Mature" is not the first word that springs to mind when describing a game that is basically gonna be a Trapper Keeper come to life (to be clear, in an awesome way)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yardbomb posted:

The fireflies sucked and killing them was pretty cool and good :shrug:

:yeah:

But joel was also still a mostly bad person. I mean from the beginning you know he and Tess were all Bonnie and Clyde.

Learning to love Ellie didn't make him a good person and it' not even hinted at so there's not much evidence for the Good Joel theory

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cuntellectual posted:

Even if this is a joke, which I doubt it is

Not very bright are ya

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

i must compose posted:

I really don't get why people like spec ops so much. I mean it's a cool idea and it's a good story but the gameplay is trash. If you took away the story and just played the game it would be like a forgotten bargain bin game.

I wouldn't say that. The gameplay is completely competent and functional, most "bargain bin" games aren't even that.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

i must compose posted:

I don't mean to poo poo on it, I just don't think it's like immensely better than last of us or the metro series or even as good.

Oh it's nowhere near as good as TLOU on a gameplay level. Anyone saying TLOU wasn't a well made game definitely never played on Hard, Survivor or Grounded difficulty.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
TLOU also doesn't tell you massive amounts of stuff, like that bottles make more noise than bricks, that having a brick in hand can let you stealth kill a Clicker, etc. Most modern games would have a popup about every single one of those things

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I could have sworn that Bear McReary did the music, since TLOU came out during that period of time when he did the soundtrack for literally everything (not that he isn't great at it!)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cuntellectual posted:

I know it's a big Gamer things to take critique of something people like as a personal attack, but it's really not.

I feel like you're doing that way more than anyone else though sooooooooo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lt Jon Kavanaugh posted:

a bit pretentious

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Look guys, it has nothing to do with Abby being female, now read these six paragraphs about how unrealistic Abby is

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

exquisite tea posted:

I have to believe this is due in part to the controversial nature of the leaked gameplay. Like if some cutscenes from FF7R got spoilered a couple months beforehand some people might be pissed, but a lot would be saying "this looks awesome can't wait."

Mods are just trying to delay the incredible shitshow as long as possible and who can blame them

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Naughty Dog, if you act like giant babies I definitely will not be more motivated to buy your games thanks

Signed,
Someone who beat tlou 7 times lmao

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Here are my thoughts on the ending:

:five:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lmao I didn't even think of doing that

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Phobophilia posted:

I can’t even get mad at Baker getting mad at criticism, even if he was misguided, because of how god drat stupid so much of the discourse had become.

It seemed to me like part of his reaction was due to people criticizing the game without even playing it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Troy Baker is a doofus but the constant deification of Jason Schreier is just weird

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Necrothatcher posted:

He's like the single not-poo poo games journalist who actually does his job.

He's really not. He's just the only one people talk about.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
How quickly we forget the perfect VideoGames rating scale

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

gyrobot posted:

I still remember how people bitched and moaned about Nadine Ross, another character voiced by her.

I mean, that's a completely different crowd of people, and also an actual valid complaint

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ohhh yeah I had forgotten that fight scene was so controversial

Like even if you're gonna go down that road, Drake is characterized as being barely athletic and Nadine is a drat soldier. The fact that Drake can easily punch out all those other soldiers doesn't matter because they're not characters. They're just... gameplay pinatas

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Joel let his guard down because he's had 4 years of peace

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cardiovorax posted:

It's probably not an honest argument considering the kind of people it's coming from, though.

gamers2020.txt lol

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

a primate posted:

I want a game where I’m not on a revenge mission, and just stay in Jackson for most of the game getting to know people, going on hunts for supplies, making some conversation choices, with demon hordes occasionally at the gates.

Play Days Gone. Seriously, it's great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One thing that struck me about Days Gone is how not janky it is. The studio clearly spent a TON of time making sure everything works smoothly, aside from a couple moments where they clearly cut some early content (but the game is incredibly long anyway)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
You start playing Days Gone and you're like "huh, pretty good size map"

Then there's another map

Then another map

It's pretty big and by end it's definitely chill to just ride your motorcycle around it

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bust Rodd posted:

Days Gone was universally panned before it came out because on paper it did not have a single original idea to its credit.

To be fair, the execution isn't original either, it's just very well done

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Necrothatcher posted:

Days Gone sits nearly perfectly at the nexus between looks generic and sounds too long. Is it really worth spending 40 hours playing?

I mean, I really liked TLOU2 but even that was starting to feel a bit much by hour 25.

You can skip most or all the side stuff, it's not a super hard game. Probably beat it in 20 if you wanted.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well, the east coast is a lot more densely populated than Colorado or Washington, that partially explains it.

Plus all those Walmart warehouses and military bases

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah, Jackson would definitely have plenty of farm food. If nothing else they'd have all the potatoes and steak they could eat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
And really, is it a stretch to imagine Dina taking Ellie back? Their relationship seemed pretty durable.