Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

SlothfulCobra posted:

So I guess this was written before any of the stuff about the new eldar god of death was written.

I feel like most of the changes that have come from progressing the story have wound up making the setting more hopeful.

I admittedly skimmed because it's not my biggest interest but I think he had been summoned but was trapped inside a Craftworld, and that there were still Eldar but they were effectively extinct as a force.

I dunno. Now I'm skimming their stuff for 60k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Also the Void Dragon is back, in model form.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
It's International Men's Day so I'm cross posting this from the GBS schadenfreude thread.

Lodin posted:

It's one of these massive bastards. Forge World sells the complete unpainted model kit for 1930 bucks.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-US/Warlord-Titan-Bundle-2019

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

SlothfulCobra posted:

So I guess this was written before any of the stuff about the new eldar god of death was written.

I feel like most of the changes that have come from progressing the story have wound up making the setting more hopeful.

I dunno, the Eldar all being dead sounds pretty good.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Yeah any kind of C'tan resurgence is going to bring down the Silent King (who is back) and his death fleets to shut that poo poo down.

Which is probably a different kind of grimdark as you get butchered by robots with molecular disintegrators, but at least you don't have to go to Imperial Church.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Just read the necrons history on the fandom wiki and my new hot take is that they're the only hope for the galaxy because they might just seal off the warp and that they're the ultimate antihero, basically nothing likable on a personal level and an unspeakable soulless horror, but the ultimate savior of everyone.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
drat warhammer 40k owns and i wish the video games were better

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
These days the fantasy games are on a roll.

Is this because GW gives the licenses to better companies bc they aren’t afraid of losing toy sales for that setting? Maybe. Maybe.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is this because GW gives the licenses to better companies bc they aren’t afraid of losing toy sales for that setting? Maybe. Maybe.

i have Total War: Warhammer all of the War but i gotta wait till i get the new laptop to play again

give me Total War: 40K!! why the gently caress not?!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Thr closest thing is Gladius which isn't terrible. I played a bit last night and enjoyed it enough.though honestly the best 40k game is Mechanicus.

I do wish there was a 40k mod for sins of a solar empire that worked. Or Stellaris that didn't try to do everything.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

twistedmentat posted:

Thr closest thing is Gladius which isn't terrible. I played a bit last night and enjoyed it enough.though honestly the best 40k game is Mechanicus.

I do wish there was a 40k mod for sins of a solar empire that worked. Or Stellaris that didn't try to do everything.

holy gently caress 40k Sins of a Solar Empire would whip rear end!!!

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

verbal enema posted:

I would play it. BFG: Armada is good, but it's kind of clunky. Much like the tabletop game it spawned from.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

verbal enema posted:

i have Total War: Warhammer all of the War but i gotta wait till i get the new laptop to play again

I feel like that'd be harder to adopt the total war engine to. They've done age of gunpowder games, but that was a decade ago.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

verbal enema posted:

Yea, from the Star Trek Armada III Mod it shows you could make each faction unique enough.

Hunter Noventa posted:

I would play it. BFG: Armada is good, but it's kind of clunky. Much like the tabletop game it spawned from.

That was because it was more based on old sailing ship games than space games.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

SlothfulCobra posted:

I feel like that'd be harder to adopt the total war engine to. They've done age of gunpowder games, but that was a decade ago.

bah all factions in 40k love to bash poo poo with hunks of metal as much as they love shootin' too there's a way to make it work

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

verbal enema posted:

bah all factions in 40k love to bash poo poo with hunks of metal as much as they love shootin' too there's a way to make it work

Cept the Tau

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Yeah well the Tau suck so fukkem

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
You could make a good 40k game on the wargame engine. That’s for Cold War poo poo so the scale is such that you can fit fliers and artillery and skimmers and all that poo poo as well as infantry in fisticuffs.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The vermintide with IG game that got a trailer over the summer looks like it's going to be pretty cool

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

The vermintide with IG game that got a trailer over the summer looks like it's going to be pretty cool

it's going to be against zombies, so meh

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cease to Hope posted:

it's going to be against zombies, so meh

Well yeah, that's kinda the gimmick of the games.

But I heard vermintide was cool and had a decent bit of enemy variety. So I hope it's not just against nurgle cultists/death guard marines.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You could make a good 40k game on the wargame engine. That’s for Cold War poo poo so the scale is such that you can fit fliers and artillery and skimmers and all that poo poo as well as infantry in fisticuffs.

I thought about doing this as a modding idea but turns out modding is hard when you have no idea how to write code or make models so it died at a very early conceptualization stage. Mostly I just thought it was cool that, because of the way that Wargame's infantry works, making units that are infantry but have certain vehicle-esque characteristics and can be more easily countered by anti-vehicle weapons (Space Marines/Terminators/Wraithlords etc) is not actually done in the game but can be done with just moving around a couple of numbers.

There is a tension between the two game's designs that I'd be kind of interested in seeing what people would want. Wargame's mostly a game of scouting and deception - the players all have very limited vision, and a weaker force can defeat a stronger force if they can get the drop on the stronger force, often by ridiculous margins. Tabletop Warhammer is much more built around the idea that you know your enemy's composition and know where all their units are. I don't think there's much of a way to actually resolve that other than just choosing one or the other and doing that.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Well yeah, that's kinda the gimmick of the games.

But I heard vermintide was cool and had a decent bit of enemy variety. So I hope it's not just against nurgle cultists/death guard marines.

Vermintide's mostly noteworthy for being L4D with extreme grinding. If you like watching bars go up between missions it's got a lot of bars, and that's the best thing I can say about it.

Insert a Name Here
Nov 1, 2020

]Heres comes a wild chalen-gerlrllr~

verbal enema posted:

The idea of fighting for actual reasons militaries fight is brand new to 40k(seriously)

Luckily all real world elements in the lore are actually a psionic hallucination created by the Psyker Adaptus of false Cubix and it's still confusing bullshit about nightmare gates and dinosaur zombies and phaser bolt guns to me.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

What in the gently caress are you talking about? I can’t parse any of that.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Tulip posted:

There is a tension between the two game's designs that I'd be kind of interested in seeing what people would want. Wargame's mostly a game of scouting and deception - the players all have very limited vision, and a weaker force can defeat a stronger force if they can get the drop on the stronger force, often by ridiculous margins. Tabletop Warhammer is much more built around the idea that you know your enemy's composition and know where all their units are. I don't think there's much of a way to actually resolve that other than just choosing one or the other and doing that.

You'd have to juggle the points costs or whatever, but IMO what you're describing would actually be cooler than tabletop because it would show how small mobile elite forces like Space Marines are supposed to be can actually smash larger traditionally organized militaries. It would make the Eldar and the Marines play much more like the fluff, and there might be ways to do really cool things with the commando legions like the Raven Guard.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

hosed-up if true!

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

twistedmentat posted:

Weirdly there is a Hoi4 40k mod. It's kinda a one-shot novelty but neat.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
noise marines kick rear end but goddamn is all the music on youtube rear end

its just hosed up metal

real slaneesh music would be like loffciamcore or some extratone

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012

verbal enema posted:

noise marines kick rear end but goddamn is all the music on youtube rear end

its just hosed up metal

real slaneesh music would be like loffciamcore or some extratone

Real Slaaneshi music is just the Drakengard OST

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
it's loving bolt thrower and you all know it stop playing dumb

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Eau de MacGowan posted:

it's loving bolt thrower and you all know it stop playing dumb

What else would it be?

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Honestly I feel like Slaaneshi music should be stuff that's actually good for a party, like Lady GaGa or anything "featuring Pitbull."

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Tulip posted:

Honestly I feel like Slaaneshi music should be stuff that's actually good for a party, like Lady GaGa or anything "featuring Pitbull."

your parties suck

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
One of those EDM mixes that's like five different genres at once.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Literal earworms

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Tulip posted:

or anything "featuring Pitbull."

This is violence.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Schadenboner posted:

This is violence.

So it's on-brand for 40k, then.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
I mean it would be pop music right? Something so catchy you can't get it out of your head and slowly go insane

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy
oh its lofi hiphop