Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Their eyes locked and suddenly there was the sound of breaking glass.
\
Those arent terrorists. Those are freedom fighters struggling against the tyranny of government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Steezo posted:

They're treasonous little shits who are mad they have to pay taxes or otherwise abide the social contract. Hang them all.

Edit: If you want founders intent precedence for this, George Washington would have sent the army after them.
The corona idiots are mad they have to stay home and watch TV. Blows my loving mind. All we have to do to save the world is sit on our rear end, and these idiots can't even get that right.

They're so high on their own sheepdog farts that when a crisis does come and they can't shoot at it, this is what we get.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

BigDave posted:

"Senator McConnell, we have video surveillance of you strangling a topless dancer in the company of Chinese officials who later bribed you with $100,000 in cash and a kilogram of cocaine, how do you respond?"

"Well, really it's Obama's fault."

"Can you elaborate on that?"

"FAKE NEWS!"

This. And it will work.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Maybe it's not terrible that the planet seems to be curing itself of humanity.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Milo and POTUS posted:

The human race deserves global warming. There, I said it.
Pretty much meant this, but I see how it could be read way wrong.

Humanity has the capacity to be not awful, but appears to not care.

Kazinsal posted:

The uncontacted tribes in the jungles of the southern hemisphere are going to outlive all of modern civilization handily and won't even notice.
I hope they evolve into something better.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on May 14, 2020

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Milo and POTUS posted:

I dread this thread
I can't be the only one that wakes up at 3AM and looks at the number of new posts to make sure the world is still ok-ish before rolling over and going back to sleep, right?

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Is FTGE still ok, despite potential to be construed as homophobic? Because my brain has reached the limit of stupid it can take and would be ok with an asteroid strike.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
I miss this cold war "my town will get nuked first" pissing match. I grew up halfway between Buffalo and Niagara Falls and figured between factories and the hydroelectric plant that powered a lot of the east coast, we would all be dead quick.

Now I live rural enough that I'd probably survive. It's a bad feeling.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
I thought the military is America's social welfare system.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Arven posted:

Claim that they had the vaccine the whole time because they created the virus just to look like heroes when they came up with the vaccine.
Its gunna be this. Goddammit.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
I may be remembering it wrong, but I think almost exactly this was the fuse lighting event that sparked off Civil War II in the It Can Happen Here podcast.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

MrMojok posted:

I really think a lot of the "elite" in this country have lived for a long time believing a number of false suppositions. And by "elite" I don't mean the people who make a lot of money and have nice homes. I mean the ones who make laws, and others who don't but whose whose wealth is nearly incomprehensible; some of whom who make policy directly, and some who greatly influence policy.

One of those false suppositions is that America is different, we don't have mass riots or revolutions here. "Can't happen here" is a good way to sum it up. It cannot happen in America! We are the best!!!

But we have been edging closer and closer to it for a while now. A couple of heinous crimes perpetrated by police (and civilians in one case) against people of color has touched off what happened tonight, only a couple that were videoed, out of all the ones that happen constantly every day, for decades, most of them without any media coverage or nationwide awareness at all.

The president of the United States isn't at all worried about this, or about the 100,000 dead due to Covid-19 (and I predict very soon to be 200,000 dead, and there really is no predictable ceiling). He is more worried about his Twitter account getting fact-checked, to the point that tomorrow he will issue an impotent Executive Order, designed to combat being "censored". I predict he will also step on his own cock on Twitter tomorrow, regarding the riots, and many of his GOP enablers will march in lockstep with him.

How did we get here? With this particular smegma that currently holds the office? Well, he had no legislative history, he was never a senator or congressman or governor or mayor. He was always just a giant mouth that constantly talked about what a great mouth it was, and because of this, he was a blank slate that people could see anything they wanted to see in.

When he said something they liked, they could say HELL YEAH and if he then said something they thought was insane, they could say well, Trump is not a politician, but THAT'S WHY WE NEED HIM IN THERE! BECAUSE HE WILL CLEAN IT UP AND DRAIN THE SWAMP!

Nobody ever even thought about what "drain the swamp" even meant.

And one of the positions/attitudes that a LOT of Americans saw, that they liked, was the blatant, unapologetic racism. He has proven this over and over and a large part of the GOP has gone along for the ride, terrified to defy him, terrified that he might say mean things about them on Twitter and unleash his "base" on them. And a smaller part of the GOP is all-in with it. Really, it doesn't matter which is which, they are all complicit.

As it turns out, "drain the swamp" in practice has consisted of grift, thievery, yet more tax cuts for the rich, environmental destruction, loss of even more ground and time vs climate change, denigration of the concept and practitioners of science, denigration of those whose job it is to report what is going on in the world and in the country, completely inept response to a global pandemic, and insistence that "human capital stock" get back to work to make NUMBER GO UP SO ME GET REELECTED.

A good friend of mine said to me a long time ago, "I think America is on its way to being a third-world country", and at the time, I thought this was completely insane. How could it be?!?

Well, I think I know now, I think she was right. Anybody that thinks the USA can't experience mass riots, far beyond the control of all police forces, cars turned over in the streets and poo poo on fire, and "elites" being strung up from loving lampposts, better think again. It absolutely can happen here. And it draws closer and closer every day. Wait and see, motherfuckers.
One could argue we have been a very rich third world country for a while. Massive inequality with a huge amount of people living in poverty, an increasingly kleptocratic ruling class, lack of investment in public goods...

We are a nicer Mexico, not a crappier Sweeden.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Stultus Maximus posted:

And don't tell me that grocery stores are all like that because they aren't. I go to the other stores near where I work all the time and they're just fine.
There's a small locally owned chain in the city where I live that has stores in the "bad" neighborhoods and it prides itself on not being lovely. It's never explicit, but the secret to its success is not being dingy and awful, but that's largely because it's family owned with a patriarch who gives a poo poo. The corporate chain has pulled out most of its "urban" stores in the past decade leaving behind lovely Aldis and savealots.

Someone else with a better degree than mine can probably spend hours discussing the vicious cycle of treating people like they are garbage leading to people who internalize that they are garbage leading to a hosed up society.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
loving KILLS me that the only decent union left in the US exists for the benefit of cops.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

GoGoGadget posted:

Completely agree. I hope it continues to spread. Drastic measures are required to turn this shithole country around.
Yes, but what if we alienate the moderate republicans and furthermore shitpissfart...

Taking the leap from "why are these THUGS burning down their own neighborhood?" to "man, there's a lot of anger there, what can we fix so that a huge portion of our fellow Americans don't have to live this way?" requires an empathy that does not seem to exist in 2020 America.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
This is a pretty decent set of answers to "rioting never solved anything": https://soletstalkabout.com/2020/05/28/how-to-respond-to-riots-never-solve-anything

the article posted:

1) “Rioting never solves anything!”
This country was founded on rioting (and looting). The colonists didn’t politely ask to be independent — they started a war. Gays threw a brick. Black people rioted all over this country. Please let go of that falsehood and pick up a history book.

2) “Rioting just gives people a reason not to support your cause.”
Only if you equate property damage to human lives, and in that case, were you really supporting our cause anyway? If all it takes is people stealing from Target for you to say “well…now I don’t care about dead Black people” then why are we even speaking?
6) “There are better ways…”
Keep working on those better ways. Don’t let the riots stop you. Fight for criminal justice reform, fight for income inequality, fight for universal healthcare, fight for free education, fight for higher taxes on the 1% — fight for all those things that would make rioting less likely. And while you’re fighting the long, slow war toward Black people having a fair shot in this country, the same war we’ve been fighting for hundreds of years, there will be times when some people directly affected by the war see your actions as futile and they just wanna break some stuff. Clutch your pearls less and speed up the war if you’re so offended by property damage.

And my favorite (and I have NO idea if it's true)

the article posted:

5) “Attacking an elderly disabled woman is a step too far!”
That woman is 30, she can walk just fine, and she went to Target armed with a knife to stab Black people. That’s why WHITE PEOPLE unloaded a fire extinguiser at her — because she was a violent maniac. On one side, people stole stuff from a big box retailer. On the other, someone STABBED PEOPLE UNPROVOKED, and yet your concern is whether anybody successfully stole a TV?

Edit: added one more with emphasis.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
The other cops couldn't be hosed to even stop Officer Shithead (not saying his name) from murdering George Floyd so. . . good cops indeed.

It didn't need to be from a "you are morally wrong, stop it" standpoint. It could have just been "hey Officer Shithead, this doesn't look good, and there's cameras on us. I don't want to deal with paperwork, let's get this guy in the cruiser." But from what has been released so far, they didn't. So gently caress them all.

I have no doubt that there are people that become cops for good reasons. I don't think it's possible to STAY a cop and hold onto those good reasons, because you either turn into a piece of poo poo, or the other pieces of poo poo keep you from being a "good cop."

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Whelp, MN governor is talking about foreign influence on the protests, calling in more Guard, and "this is no longer about protesting George Floyd's murder." Awesome.

In a way he doesn't mean, he is correct. A lot of this is about wrecking poo poo.

But people are wrecking poo poo because they have no voice otherwise. Vote? Yeah, ok. MN, and Minneapolis in particular is blue as gently caress. And this still happens. Repeatedly.

Now the Dem gov is bitching about "these people" and talking about an overwhelming show of force.

Tldr, burn it all down. gently caress.

Edit: "they are coming in from outside". gently caress. You.

stealie72 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on May 30, 2020

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

PookBear posted:

the cops have already loving blinded a reporter
Not to mention killed a bunch of black guys...

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Bill Deblasio sounding like a Republican on tv. I wonder why people are feeling the need to take to the streets.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Bored As gently caress posted:

"The Republic" - these loving assholes would love to protect Emperor Trump as his literal "Republican Guard", and be completely okay with doing away with all of the rest of the auspices of small r republicanism and democracy left in this hosed up country.
SPQT

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Doc Hawkins posted:

ask the panthers or the person next to you in the riot for a better answer, but in brief racism exists to keep the working class divided against itself and black people were imported as private property and retained as a laborer underclass ever since to create the wealth of the ruling class and destroy labor power. people who tell you that the issues are separate are either fooled or trying to fool you.

A clumsy analogy, but at this point the protests are about George Floyd the same way WWI was about Franz Ferdinand.

And I mean that as a positive. This is an outpouring of rage about a system that fucks anyone not in the top 10% and white. I've said it before, but even the most woke white person doesn't care about a black guy being killed this much.

So "stop killing minorities, you pig fucks" is the top note, but there is a massive pile of stuff under it.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\
Not that it diminishes your point, but worth pointing out those were all stations owned by Sinclair, a notorious conservative shitbag trump-backing company. It was mildly controversial when it happened and a bunch of people quit. Though to no avail.

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/policy-and-politics/2018/4/2/17189302/sinclair-broadcast-fake-news-biased-trump-viral-video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

\

Waroduce posted:

MSNBC reporting CAT team are on the roof of the white house with snipers holy lol

Protocols may have changed since I lived in DC two decades ago, but I dont think that's terribly unusual.