Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Woofer posted:

I’m admittedly stupid and didn’t know what work sets you free was referencing so I’m here to say the history curriculum in this country sucks

If anyone else is curious: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arbeit_macht_frei

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bulletsponge13 posted:

Not being an rear end when I ask this, where did you go to school? I'm yet to find a textbook that doesn't have the picture and explanation for the phrase. I've seen school texts from a half dozen different states, and not a single one didn't have it and cover it. I'm asking, because I'm legit shocked. I know there are half rear end schools, and half rear end teachers, but this surprised the poo poo out of me.

Again, legit, not intending to be an rear end in a top hat.

In elementary, middle, and high school in rural Tennessee we never made it to World War 2 in any history class. We always started at the beginning and the lesson plan had us getting through the 70s but we always fell behind. I was lucky to have supportive family who would answer questions and generally fill in blanks, but even stuff like the Vietnam War was a black hole for me until I took a class on it in college.

We would really be better off starting history classes with world war 2 and running to present day because that does more to help kids make sense of the current world than going over the Fertile Crescent and Pharaohs for the tenth time.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I dont think we really covered Vietnam or the civil rights era at all but we always had time to skip ahead and marvel at how Ronald Reagan saved the world

We didn’t do that, but then again he was still in office when I was in elementary school.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

BUG JUG posted:

Professional historian take: best practice for HS history -- if it's general US, and students are getting an hour a day -- should start in 1609 and get to the American Revolution in 2 weeks, 3 if you want to do a unit on colonial slavery (which I think you can usually push off to the Antebellum with minimal loss of understanding). From there 4 weeks to the Civil War. Another 3-4 weeks to get to 1900, and then the rest of the class should essentially be the American Century up until 2001. I.e.: you should get to 1900 by Christmas break at the latest.

You need all that early poo poo to help understand how the system we live in functions (and why it does things the way it does) but really, yeah if you're trying to get kids to understand the US, the more recent the better. Problem is a LOT of history teachers have a hard on for the Revolution/Civil War/World War II and spend too much time gearing up to get to those events which they then spend far too much time on in class.

I've often thought about teaching a course where the history is told in reverse. Start at the present day and work backwards but I've never figured out a good way to do it.

I think starting in the 1600s would be good to do for world history classes too because again, the Code of Hamurabi doesn’t do a lot to explain why Israel and their neighbors don’t get along. The Memento approach to a history class is something I kicked around too but like you could never come up with a way to present it that wouldn’t lose half the students.

hobbesmaster posted:

I’m glad I took the AP history classes in high school because you had to be dragged through the entire thing come hell or high water.

I wish we’d had AP. My school system was garbage.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Discussion Quorum posted:

The punch line is gonna be when he gets another visit from the SEC lmao

The SEC didn’t do poo poo to him last time, hasn’t done anything to him for all his loving around since then, and won’t do anything to him this time either under the fig leaf of “protecting stockholders.” They’ve basically been ordered not to go after anyone of high net worth for the last several years.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Syrian Lannister posted:

I hate what this country has become.

I'm coming up on two decades of federal service and in that time have developed a lot of contempt for both the government that pays me and the people I nominally serve.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nice glory hole.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Laughing Zealot posted:

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot/status/1256958021441327111?s=20

Something about the biblical nature of his ramblings just tickles me.

These are real? I thought press sec bot was an Onion kind of thing.

Edit: ok, it’s a reformat thing that takes his tweets.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hot Karl Marx posted:

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1256...number%3D75pti1

so is this an attempt to blame the entire thing on china rather than the white houses terrible response to the virus right

Nobody would blame China for cutting off shipments of PPE and pharmaceutical precursors to the US, citing domestic need and pointing to our own federal PPE bullshit if we whined about it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

sharknado slashfic posted:

You mean outside of anyone who still identifies as a republican? They still think the government was completely taken by surprise by it in mid march when I knew about it in late january or so from reading a dead comedy forum.

I feel like you just have to tell them that Chinese origin goods are an attempt to sneak pathogen into the US and they’d support it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

This man was the head of the CIA not so long ago.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Yep. I'd argue that the protests would be even worse, as the protestors would be raging against a Democratic Antichrist president. Which is all the more reason I'm pissed off at Trump, as he could contain a lot of this bullshit if he would yell at his supporters to stay the gently caress home. But alas, cheddarbrain.

Also, y'all should go look at those CDC documents that just leaked to the NYT - they basically know poo poo's getting worse and is probably close to an explosion. I can't link it here for reasons, but someone else here could!

9/11/01 death tolls every day indefinitely. Fabulous.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edir: nope

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

It’s always weird to me how people like Musk think that they will be able to withstand life in some inhospitable environment. The dude grew up rich and has never truly struggled in his life. He melts down when people contradict him on twitter. How does his thin skinned self think he’s surviving in the barren wastes of Mars? I know he over hypes his intellect and his actual parts in his company, but I’d think he’s smart enough to know that colonizing another planet would be pure agony.

He’s not going to live long enough to see a human on Mars anyway so he can say whatever he wants. Even if we were closer to doing it he wouldn’t be the first person there, someone like him would wait a generation or two until the really nasty stuff was behind us before he got on a rocket. Even then it’s unlikely someone like him would go because Earth to Mars will be a one-way trip for decades if not centuries after the first person is there, and he’s not going to give up what he has here - money won’t buy food, water, or oxygen in an environment where it simply doesn’t exist, let alone self-driving cars and flamethrowers.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kinda surprised Erik Prince didn't get a piece of this one.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mustang posted:

18X goes through infantry basic before eventually making it to selection and the Q course.

Same goes for NG SF groups, if they're trying to enlist straight into SF.

National Guard SF as a thing that exists always makes me lol.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

If literally surrounded by cameras, maybe.

They’d still get arrested. The shooting would happen on the way from the capital to the police station.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

WaPo is just as bad and next on my ban list.

For a while it seemed like they were giving away their opinion stuff for free but everything else was paywalled, which didn’t exactly entice me to subscribe.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dong Quixote posted:

That dude is 100% eating a bullet. There's no spinning "I'm an American mercenary hired to violently overthrow Maduro." I wonder if he'll just disappear or if his body will be dragged through the streets.

I would like to be wrong about this: their lives are forfeit, but it will be because the Venezuelan government tries to get concessions from the US government. Pompey and/or the president wipes their rear end on a Venezuelan flag on Fox News as part of their gemius negotiating strategy, and subsequently everyone captured in Venezuela is hanged in the Plaza Bolivar.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

A bit more information:

https://twitter.com/PeterAlexander/status/1258424817486901249?s=19

So Donnie immediately got tested, but it came back negative - as it likely would if Donnie got dosed only in the previous few days. It should be a fun week or two tracking his public appearances.

I hope the valet and other White House service staff come out ok.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

There’s more to the Golden Corral saga, click here for the whole thing: http://www.pjwnex.us/media/text/Golden_Corral.txt

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I wish the White House domestic and service staff well.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/baraGodzilla/status/1258682943716782080

There is an absolute zero percent chance anyone who hasn’t already seem this will guess the reveal.

Hahahahahaha yeah that was a sharp turn.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Basticle posted:

tangentally related have you guys seen this absolutely amazing thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wo2-fbBPWsc

My bootstraps grabbed themselves just listening to it.

The currently out game by the same people Mudrunner is the Dark Souls of driving games and this one seems to be riffing on Death Stranding a little bit as well.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

shame on an IGA posted:

Oh poo poo you'll appreciate that one of my HS teachers who was an early twitter adopter owns @kenbuck and is frequently confused for this rear end in a top hat and leans into it whenever possible

This guy is a hero.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

He's going to hold onto life until society breaks down sufficient that no one left will have the means to ever watch The Day the Clown Cried?

:shrug:

Wrong Jerry Lewis, or was that the joke?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Doc Hawkins posted:

they'd have to die first

Give us a few weeks here.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edit: nah that's a dumb thing to say.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I like how they have name tents like they don't all know each other, though maybe the rate of attrition is high enough that there are new people in the room every one of these.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Now the GOP pretends to worry about aides

lol

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

McNally posted:

Those are there for Trump

Good point.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

PeterCat posted:

Sioux tribes set up roadblocks in South Dakota to keep Covid-19 out of the reservation.

The Republican governor surprisingly doesn't support this particular group of people acting against the government.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52615311

The tribes told the state to gently caress off, since they don’t have the resources to handle an outbreak of any size this is their best way to stay safe. The state currently plans to sue the tribes in federal court.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Are they blocking interstate commerce or just the roads to their lands?

As I understand it they’re set up on the highways that pass through their lands. I don’t know enough about the roads there to say if that’s the least restrictive way to block access to their lands but I don’t think they’d block highways just to gently caress with people right now.

RFC2324 posted:

This is an usually good way of handling it tbh. usually we would have stormed the barricades with nat guard

I figure about a week before that happens or a bunch of white supremacists roll in and start poo poo on their own.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mlmp08 posted:

IS in Afghanistan (probably) dialing up the evil to 11 with a gunman attack on a maternity ward. “What if school shooting but somehow worse,” seems like where that kind of brainstorming starts.

loving spawn campers, kick and ban from server.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

quote:

"It's absolutely essential that businesses treat this information exclusively for pandemic management," says Privacy Commissioner John Edwards.

And marketing, of course. No business on earth is going to discard all that contact information unadvertised-to.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

God drat it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Am I high or Feinstein... good?

She voted in support of expanding warrantless surveillance. She's been on the Senate Intelligence committee for a million years so she's definitely been captured by them and it's not a surprise but how is it good?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

It looks like the discussions are officially starting on the idea of a challenge vaccine program - vaccinating people against, then literally exposing people to COVID. And it sure sounds like there are plenty of volunteers for it.

https://twitter.com/TheLeadCNN/status/1260686362778402819?s=19

18th century medicine, today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, we got him.

We ain’t got poo poo. The president or attorney general is going to wake up tomorrow, realize he’s a republican senator, and close the investigation.