Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brut posted:

One of the things that make me not really that mad at Dana for running these events (If I try to set aside me wanting to see some loving fights) is that all around the country people are ignoring basically all the rules everywhere, so I don't think these few events are gonna have that much impact. If everyone was being super obedient with the lockdown this would look a lot worse.

Meanwhile here in Korea, we've had zero new cases. The only new cases they've identified were people who have traveled into the country recently and are under a mandatory 2 week quarantine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I mean gathering your fanbase to all get sick and die together even at 25% capacity seems like a long term business plan that isn't really sustainable

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I mean gathering your fanbase to all get sick and die together even at 25% capacity seems like a long term business plan that isn't really sustainable

I don't think they care about attendance. The plan is empty arenas for the near future. They are ~$2B in debt and desperately want to meet their ESPN contract obligations. Other sports leagues/promotions don't really have the same financial pressure they have put themselves in.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I haven't seen anything even implying they wanna have any kind of crowd attendance, fighters weren't even sure they were gonna be allowed the usual 3 people in their corner until like yesterday or something.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Rigel posted:

I don't think they care about attendance. The plan is empty arenas for the near future. They are ~$2B in debt and desperately want to meet their ESPN contract obligations. Other sports leagues/promotions don't really have the same financial pressure they have put themselves in.
I would almost lay this at the feet of Disney for not relaxing said contract. You own some obscene amount of global media and underlying IP; maybe draw down some of those billions in cash.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Brut posted:

I haven't seen anything even implying they wanna have any kind of crowd attendance, fighters weren't even sure they were gonna be allowed the usual 3 people in their corner until like yesterday or something.

I was just going off of the news reports that the plan for most sporting events UFC and otherwise is to start with limited capacity and scale upward once they let fans in

Hopefully that's at least a few months away

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I was just going off of the news reports that the plan for most sporting events UFC and otherwise is to start with limited capacity and scale upward once they let fans in

They're gonna let fans on to FIGHT ISLAND, those who can afford it.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I hope we get another fyre festival style documentary disaster out of it

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I hope we get another fyre festival style documentary disaster out of it

Super-Coronavirus is detected on fight island. Everyone in the UFC is marooned there permanently and must build a new fight-based society.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Vengarr posted:

Super-Coronavirus is detected on fight island. Everyone in the UFC is marooned there permanently and must build a new fight-based society.
War Machine would be so pissed.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
It took a global pandemic for the UFC to finally make some good shirts.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Hollandia posted:

It took a global pandemic for the UFC to finally make some good shirts.

For real, they actually dont suck :catstare:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
At a glance, the light-blue one kinda looks like it says "FIGHT ISLAM." :cripes:

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Are all of those designs stolen? lmao

Like maybe you can classify it under "parody" or something but I'm like 99% sure I've seen that triangle somewhere, without the octagon on it, and same goes for that island map with the compass, again minus the octagon and the UFC flag. I don't personally recognize the others but I wouldn't be surprised...

Shine posted:

At a glance, the light-blue one kinda looks like it says "FIGHT ISLAM." :cripes:

Whoops!

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
The Hotline shirt might replace my fading Pride FC gear, with an extra for framing in the disaster memorial museum erected some twenty years from now.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Shine posted:

Haha. It really does. When I first saw it with other Fight Island merch, my brain filled in the gap.

But just being seen on it's own, it's totally Fight Islam.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Next TUF is gonna be a be a Survivor mashup on the island. Hope you can cut weight between spear fishing and sleeping in a lovely bamboo shed, fucko.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
So Season 1 re-runs, then?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Brut posted:

Like maybe you can classify it under "parody" or something but I'm like 99% sure I've seen that triangle somewhere, without the octagon on it, and same goes for that island map with the compass, again minus the octagon and the UFC flag. I don't personally recognize the others but I wouldn't be surprised...

Whoops!

Everyone is doing that 80's neon aesthetic one right now. I've even seen one with the Tiger King guy on it just yesterday. It's like a copy paste shirt template at this point.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brut posted:

Whoops!

It reminds me of Don Jonaher's ultimate rash guard

Speaking of which the UFC would probably sell way more of this poo poo if they sold it as spats and rash guards instead of as fat guy tshirts

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I read an article that said that is basically the plan but not happening immediately.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Set up oildome in the parking lot and only the strong gain entrance

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Set up oildome in the parking lot and only the strong gain entrance

*strips clothes off* well come on, bitch.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I can't remember from the original stories but is everything legal in the oildome or was there a prison code about nutshots and oil checks

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

CRISPYBABY posted:

Next TUF is gonna be a be a Survivor mashup on the island. Hope you can cut weight between spear fishing and sleeping in a lovely bamboo shed, fucko.

With as scrawny as the Survivor contestants tend to get, it’d be more like trying to keep weight on for the whole shoot. Instead of everyone fighting a weight class higher than normal, they’ll all be phantomweights by the end of it.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Oildome: Two men enter, one man...

... whoops no comma

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Also were socks with a bar of soap in it used in the original oildome this is an important detail

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Shumagorath posted:

Oildome: Two men enter, one man...

... whoops no comma

:hmmyes:

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I can't remember from the original stories but is everything legal in the oildome or was there a prison code about nutshots and oil checks

No rules in the Oildome except the unspoken rule that it you didn't enter, you were a punk bitch.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dana said TUF is coming back and honestly, I'm down for a Survivor/TUF merger.

The Ultimate Fighter: Fight Island

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Untrustable posted:

No rules in the Oildome except the unspoken rule that it you didn't enter, you were a punk bitch.

Surely the rules were just to gently caress someone up and make it obvious who won rather than like actually loving someone up?

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

CommonShore posted:

It reminds me of Don Jonaher's ultimate rash guard

Speaking of which the UFC would probably sell way more of this poo poo if they sold it as spats and rash guards instead of as fat guy tshirts

Lmao no, who do you think is a bigger percentage of their fanbase, people who actually train and excercise or fat tapout shirt wearers?

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

the fortunate thing about the floor covered in baby oil is it gives you proper slip and glide to get straight up in the air for a mobn sprawl

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Lmao no, who do you think is a bigger percentage of their fanbase, people who actually train and excercise or fat tapout shirt wearers?

I think you underestimate how often fat out of shape people will buy athletic clothing to make themselves feel sporty

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

i love tuf and am glad it is coming back and i hope it isn't as messy the last seasons were

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

CommonShore posted:

I think you underestimate how often fat out of shape people will buy athletic clothing to make themselves feel sporty

Overweight white rural men in Under Armor and Nike are all over Oregon...

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

CommonShore posted:

I feel personally attacked

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

For real though you can still be sporty in beat up jeans, a flannel shirt with the sleeves cut off and a mullet

Top it off with a cowboy hat and you've got the regulation uniform for the oildome, bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Let's let oil dome rest so it gets funny again