Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I love astoria Oregon.

I hate sector columbia river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

piL posted:

What's bad about the Columbia River?

I seriously dont know how to formulate an answer to this. San Francisco was leaps and bounds better, Columbia River is good but it feels... Off i guess?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Melthir posted:

D13 is home to a large group of adrenalin junkies called surfmen. It feeds back into the other CG units in the area and it creates a culture of stupidity and stress for no reasons. It should be one of the coolest places in the CG but it somehow ends up sucking for a large amount of people.

Forgot the fact that we are also a Jayhawk airstation....

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Currently on Night watch #3, Juniper decided to wake me up earlier than i wanted but i still managed to get some hours of light sleep.

You know those pictures of Ben Affleck smoking, tho one he looks old as gently caress, tired and dejected? Yeah, i feel like that.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Melthir posted:

Ashton Kutcher wannabes are a CG wide phenomenon, donut havers are not.

Rescue swimmers are chill dudes

Pilots and officers have a high potential of being baaaaad

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 15, 2020

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Things are better at work, who knew that doing a 2 month rotation of day/night watches instead of doing them monthly AND working days would make me for a better worker.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Melthir posted:

Wait what?

For a period of like 8 months we moved from doing 2 months of day or nights (as in you work 2 months of days, then switch to 2 months of nights) to doing it monthly (as in 1 month of days then 1 month of nights).

it loving sucked and only changed because people brought it up at our last all hands.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nwin posted:

Wouldn’t you rather do something the same way for 2 months so your body can adjust to it rather than flipping every month?

I guess if you really loving hate one of them that could be bad though.

I think you misread me, i hate flipping watches every month. My wife can attest i was a miserable motherfucker

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Boy i am working this 4th of july and its barely been an hour and we already had a case

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nwin posted:

Well poo poo-that’s one positive to this payback tour. Zero fucks given about it being the fourth.

Got two cases now, went had my poop break before all hell breaks loose.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Up to 4 cases. Two which where a stealth cases, one insofar as station just straight up towed a disabled vsl and only told us after the fact and the other one because they told their small boat about it... but they never told us.

Melthir posted:

Mother fuckers, we had a really high tide and alot of people here have rigged up a system that allows you to push your boat off the shore let it drift off the pull a rope and release your anchor. When you pull the rope again it will lift your anchor and allow you to pull the boat in by hand. Tide was like 17. Bunch of guys didn't have enough line out on there anchor so their boats floated off. They are now calling the Cg asking to be picked up then throwing a Karen fit when they are told bm at the station it's going to be a bit cause they are working a legit search and rescue case.

So they call call the base and start yelling at me cause BM2 fuckstick told them that they would not be picked up instantly and want a helo launched. I told them that's the stations call and get yelled at some more and told that they dont have enough food to make it through lunch....I pull the phone away and start laughing. Lady is straight furious at this point.This lady is legit trying to convince me she may die if she misses a lunch after already stating that she had no medical conditions that would need emergency treatment.

Would I be a dick if I called station and arranged for them to pick her up after dinner?

*Ben affleck smoking tired*

not a dick move if you do it as a joke.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Up to 4 cases, a flare report/fire and a dead whale

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

BUG JUG posted:

... Milwaukee?

Coastal oregon

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

4 cases, a flare report/fire, a dead whale and a boat with two old guys aground

In more light news, this boat is Coast Guard Certified.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

4 cases, a flare report/fire, a dead whale, a boat with an old couple aground, one surfer actually surfing and one surfer in distress.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Been on a self-hating roll by making a VMS/Declaration codes power point presentation and reading the NTSB report of SS EL FARO accident.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

piL posted:

Only about the tides part!

I felt like people would be held accountable for accidently getting a vessel underway without the ability to maneuver as required by the rules, but I guess not.

*Stares at the spike in the number of vessel casualties after months after of covid closures*

sure wish that would happened

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

After a poor performance review on my last set of marks, just been getting a few attaboys from the command.

Oh golly i wonder if it is because its not winter and i am working on the day shift??? Probably unrelated.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Happy Coast Guard Day.
You have double 4-8s

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Eason the Fifth posted:

The gist of the emails the CO sent yesterday:

Email 1: "Happy Coast Guard Day! You will be allowed 4 hours early liberty."

Email 2, 10 minutes later: "Correction: 4 hours was actually 59 minutes."

nwin posted:

I think ours was better.

We just went through a reorganization which tied a bunch of units together under one unit. However, if you’re in the Portsmouth VA area-you got 4 hours early liberty, but if you’re in the DC area-sorry-only 59 minutes.

*STARES IN OS*

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/missing-fishermen-washington-1.5682151

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Hearing fisherman going from "we are taking on water" to "we are abandoning ship" in minutes is absolutely brutal

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I forgot it is labor day weekend and i showed up to my watch and its a mess.

Also quick update on this, we found a life-raft in our AOR at the beginning of September and we correlated that it came from that FV

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Currently working on hour number 6 on a case and it seems it will go for 6 more hours.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Jesus christ this case

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Imagine if you will you are a small boat crew that has been working for 6 hours straight because its labor day weekend and people are hosed up and bullshit. You finally get on scene to a case that will take at least 4-6 more hours to finish because its more than 30 NM away AND its a complicated tow because the Vessel rudder is stuck hard to one side.

Also imagine the owner of said vessel acting like a petulant spoiled child, constantly tells you how to do your job, screams at you on channel 16 and screams expletives, slurs and falsehoods at you.

By the time i left the watch floor they still had 2 more hours on that tow.

gently caress that guy

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

McNally posted:

Please tell me he can be charged with something.

Potentially an FCC channel 16 violation, which i will bring it up to my command.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nwin posted:

What’s the guys deal? Fishing vessel?

fishing vessel guy, sailing a sailing vessel solo.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I was so loving busy last night and it was so goddam smoky you can call me a pit-roasted chorizo

Edit: I loved the poo poo out of last night

ElMaligno fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 8, 2020

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

sounds like a CDO got too micromanagy.

Speaking of CDOs, Royce Heckerndorn. Hard motherfucking BMCM Surfman and Sector San Francisco CDO just lost his battle against cancer. He has been the only legit good CDO that knew his poo poo and wasnt a motherfucker micromanager .

Rest in piss.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Sector emailed a COVID survey.

My TL;DR to them was "poo poo is hosed up and bullshit, nothing you can do about it except to stress about mental health. Also earthquakes are still happening in Puerto Rico. Also things are not magically get better once midnight rings on 31 December"

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Any of you guys have experience with tuition assistance?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I'm thinking of getting a masters degree, specifically in Systems Engineering and I may as well start while I'm still in.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Arizona state university has an Online masters of Systems Engineer, its more about being a manager of engineers than an engineer if that makes sense.

I have a Chemistry degree with a piss poor GPA of 2.70, I may as well try to get in and use the tuition assistance now instead of using my education benefits later.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I got told i am not a good fit for their engineering program so back to square one. also knocking my ambitions a couple pegs and looking for teaching degrees

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Godholio posted:

Have you taken a GMAT or whatever engineering programs want? Good scores on that, plus a conversation about how as a longtime veteran you're not the same immature person you were as an undergrad student X years ago (the longer the better), might help get past that GPA. Some schools are also more military friendly than others (without being degree mills).

They straight up went "Naw" and it absolutely killed any momentum I had towards getting that degree.

on the more positive side i had a long conversation with the wife with what i could study

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Melthir posted:

loving broke rear end boat.

someone didnt apply the proper lube.

in other news my marks/evaluations are better this time around.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Meanwhile I am #96 (out of 238), which is kind of bad but considering I was #194 (out of 237) in the MAY19 SWE its a big improvement.

No i did not take the NOV19 SWE, please dont ask me why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

nwin posted:

For first or chief?

OS1