Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Never got into multiplayer for this, but that's more because I never get into multiplayer on *any* RTS.

Love the campaigns though. Since I got the game, I've been slowly working through them in order of release, and am starting into Le Loi, now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

GodFish posted:

I can never remember why that isn't 50% faster, lol

Still a wild buff though, yeah.

"100% faster" is not the same as "Time required reduced by 100%"

if you're moving 50 miles-per-hour, it'll take you two hours to travel 100 miles. Going 100% faster means you finish in one hour, not instantly; because now you're moving 100 mph.

When referring to building or researching speeds and such in a game like this, it's the same logic. Except instead of miles per hour, it's "construction progress per second".

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Lawman 0 posted:

I still don't really understand the burgundians and sicilians being pegged as calvary and infantry civs when I feel like they should be reversed?

I mean, the *only* thing Burgundians have going for them infantry-wise is the unique upgrade that suddenly gives them a shitload of rather generic Flemish Militia units at the cost of "You no longer have an economy". If anything, Burgundians should have "and gunpowder" tacked onto their label due to the 25% damage bonus they get. (I'm incredibly casual and only play campaigns, and haven't gotten around to the Sicilians yet to really remember their thing, but seeing as their unique unit is an infantry unit that can build their Unique Tower replacement that also builds more of the unique unit, I'd say that can earn them the "Infantry Civ" tag, since all their other bonuses are either economic, or applies to everything.

I will say, them having Cavaliers in Castle doesn't feel like as big a boost as it could be, since Burgundians don't get Bloodlines, so all their cavalier gets over a knight from other civs is a bit more damage. Burgundian Cavalier and a generic Knight with Bloodlines have the same HP and the same armor.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
And apparently one of the Poles' unique units is... Hussars getting 5 more HP, 2 more damage, a point of armor, and a more expensive upgrade cost. Like, they get this instead of the regular Hussar upgrade.

O.o

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Negostrike posted:

The other Polish UU is kind of a wet fart as well. I think the Polish civ is more suited for someone who likes to focus in the economy because of its fancy mill I guess? I wasn't impressed at all.

Still gotta try the campaigns (yes I'm a sick gently caress I do like playing those).

I just finally got around to beating the Sicilian campaign yesterday. I'm really bad at the game though, so I only go in on normal difficulty.

I am, in fact, someone who goes EXCLUSIVELY for the single-player, I don't go for regular games against bots, or multiplayer. I'm just not good enough at the game, or willing enough to put in the effort and focus to get good enough to compete. It's just not what I enjoy in the game.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Oh my god. I just found my favorite thing about the Poles.

Their Folwark, that replaces the mill? It's 3x3. The perfect Farm Square is real at last.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

GodFish posted:

What are the little tents?

Pavillions. Effectively small houses.

It's a campaign map, first level of the Jadwiga (Polish) campaign.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Milo and POTUS posted:

Little bit of campaign color. Idk if they provide actual housing, but ^^^^ seems to indicate they do

They absolutely do, which makes them worth protecting any time you have them - though sometimes they're super out-of-the-way and it's better to just let the enemy take 'em out and build more houses rather than spend effort to protect them.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, uhh, I just want to mention, I've made a little discovery in the Jadwiga campaign.

One of the levels, you're not allowed to build Castles, and walls and towers have had their stone price jacked way up.

They uh

They forgot to do the same for Bombard towers.

Single Stone Wall Segment: 200 stone.
Watch Tower: 300 stone.
Bombard Tower: 125 stone.

Welp.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 15, 2021

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Okay, going back through the early campaigns again, and I have a goddamn question.

Jean Bureau. The Bombard Cannon hero in the last Joan of Arc mission. Why the actual gently caress does this man have worse stats than a regular Bombard Cannon? His wikipedia page's first paragraph contains the sentence "he is credited with making French artillery the most effective in the world."

They did this man a hefty disservice.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
...huh. I've never seen this before.

So, I'm doing the unlocks for the event on a whim. I don't play the game often, and I suck at it, so since there's no obligation to actually have any difficulty in the unlocks, I'm doing a 2v1 skirmish with me and an AI ally against one AI enemy, and it's on a low AI difficulty.

...My ally is putting relics in my Monastery instead of his own. I tried dropping one out to see if he was getting confused and would take it back to his own... and he just put it back in mine.

For the record, I was Korea, and my ally was Burgundy.

BlazetheInferno fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 12, 2022

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
That's just it though, I play on this difficulty a lot, especially when doing these unlocks. I've never seen the AI put relics in my monastery instead of their own before.

I wonder if it was programmed to do it during this event because of one of the unlocks being about collecting all the relics?

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
So, there's a thing I've been doing once in a while, because it's fun.

Setting up big AI battles, but setting Player 1 (aka "me") to be AI-controlled, and just observing the match from player 1's perspective.

He ends up sending a lot of info presumably just to himself in chat, some of which is easily understandable, but there's a lot of spam about some sort of "superiority" variable, like 4 lines of it pasted every 5-10 seconds after a certain point. Does anyone have any idea what those mean?

Early on in the 2 games I observed, there was also brief, early spam of "Debug: Rule 3 firing" when first attacking an enemy. I'm really curious as to what all this stuff actually means.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
IF they include the Chinese... everything about them and their campaign needs to be completely scrapped and redone from the ground up. No question.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Tree Bucket posted:

I never tried that expansion. Was it really that bad?

It's poorly balanced, the update from the studio that made it actively made the game's optimization worse, the campaign's plot makes no loving sense, is poorly designed, and broken and buggy as poo poo and no attempt has ever been made to fix any of it.

There is a mod out there that outright replaces the Chinese with an Aztec civilization and mythology, I presume almost entirely out of spite. I have not looked at the mod myself to see.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The summary I got from someone else was "If you're into the multiplayer, get it on sale. If you're into the singleplayer, skip it - it doesn't exist here." This is from a guy who played the campaigns.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
The AoE1 campaigns are a completely different narrative style. The original AoE1 campaigns followed the civilization itself, and each mission was a huge timejump forward to the next major event. The actual Rise of Rome campaigns were more along the lines of following a particular character's journey, though that consisted of *three* separate Rome campaigns, and one Carthaginian campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Tree Bucket posted:

Dragon seems to have been pretty poorly received, which might explain that choice.

An interview with one of the lead devs previously confirmed Tale of the Dragon, but then the Steam description lacked any mention of it. It's yet to be confirmed whether they've simply changed their mind on including it, whether he was mistaken/wrong/etc, or if they're simply not ready to talk about it yet.