Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

(Maybe not real?)

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Jun 22, 2020

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

i live near a really great used book store and one of the things i look most forward to (if and when society recovers itself) is visiting their big ol' roomfull of SF paperbacks and snappin some cover art

iirc they have a whole collection of robotech paperbacks

shameless plug for the book barn and its pettable goats and cats

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 22, 2020

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

When I was young I read all the Robotech books. It definitely made the transitions between seasons/series smoother since they could make whatever connections they wanted to instead of relying on editing existing footage.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

I assume this is supposed to be Conan and he is laughing at a wizard who tripped on his own robe and fell flat on his face.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 22, 2020

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

David D. Davidson posted:

I assume this is supposed to be Conan and he is laughing at a wizard who tripped on his own rope and fell flat on his face.

He's doing a Nelson "haw-haw" so clearly I can't look at it without hearing it

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Harlan Ellison - The Other Glass Teat

Kim Stanley Robinson - Escape From Kathmandu

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I genuinely love the baseball cap and shades on that yeti.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

rollick
Mar 20, 2009

Stephen Leigh - The Bones of God

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

All of this poo poo is :krad:, even the stupider lookin stuff

All our media nowadays seems to have less and less heart and less will to just go out on a limb anymore, for good or ill

Musluk
May 23, 2011

:nws: I have no idea how this got past censors of 80's. :nws:

Musluk fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 1, 2020

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

I actually own this print.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Eastern Europe poster art of the 70s and 80s, like the countries, was free of church influence and morality. Censors were a ok with titties but any description of personal freedom opposing the greater good of the collective would be chased down quicker than a nipple on American prime time today.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Mokotow posted:

Eastern Europe poster art of the 70s and 80s, like the countries, was free of church influence and morality. Censors were a ok with titties but any description of personal freedom opposing the greater good of the collective would be chased down quicker than a nipple on American prime time today.

Which church would that be, again? Cause these are all from Turkey.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Musluk posted:

Which church would that be, again? Cause these are all from Turkey.

Turkey was pretty secular in the 80s so the point stands.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Mokotow posted:

Turkey was pretty secular in the 80s so the point stands.

I'm sorry but no, we had a lot of book bannings here in turkey at 70's and 80's, quite a lot of them due to 'communism' and yes, thought policing, but some of them due to 'obscenity' too. We have a 'Preventing Obscenity for the Young' law since 1927 and 80's had it reaffirmed by then prime minister Turgut Özal. Tropic of Capricorn from Henry Miller was banned here for obscenity, just like it was in the states in 60's, etc etc.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Nvm

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Jul 3, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Logan 5 posted:

Got plenty of friends that will insist that furries actually started with Animorphs. I'm always like, nah you just missed out on some sci-fi in the late 80s/early 90s:

Chanur books own, they're gritty expanse style space trader/politics yarns with a surprisingly sly take on gender relations. The covers are extremely embarrassing and I used to rip them off.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I swear that first one is like traced off the cover of a Rod Stewart album or something

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

The “masterwork by a bold new talent” made me laugh because a decade or so later that man wrote the trilogy that gave us this:

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

fartknocker posted:

The “masterwork by a bold new talent” made me laugh because a decade or so later that man wrote the trilogy that gave us this:

A plot outline written by Revolver Ocelot

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I think I found my tinder profile summary

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

fartknocker posted:

People posting objectively good things as though they are bad is always weird.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Neo Rasa posted:

They did manga style cover illustrations for the Japanese release of all of the Honor Harrington novels. I was reading a bit about it and it seems a lot of fans prefer these because the character design/other stuff going on on the cover is more accurate to how things are described in the books.

People didn't like this cover?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-khwfc71Yw

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

fartknocker posted:

Sadly, Jeter was a really talented and imaginative writer. However, I guess he had to pay the bills, because he took a heavy turn into franchise and videogame novelizations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

nonathlon posted:

Sadly, Jeter was a really talented and imaginative writer. However, I guess he had to pay the bills, because he took a heavy turn into franchise and videogame novelizations.

He did some Star Wars, Star Trek, and Alien Nation in the 90s, but what video game stuff has he done? I don’t really count the Blade Runner sequels since he had a good relationship with PKD before he died.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

People didn't like this cover?

Obligatory "that looks like Michael Jackson" comment

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

mind the walrus posted:

I was about to say that and then I scrolled down to the end of the thread.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

Midjack posted:

He did some Star Wars, Star Trek, and Alien Nation in the 90s, but what video game stuff has he done? I don’t really count the Blade Runner sequels since he had a good relationship with PKD before he died.

You're right. I think I was getting him confused with Orson Scott Card.

The Bladerunner sequels are odd. Like, it's a cash-in on someone else's world but Jeter is pushing the limitations of his remit hard, making for some weird way out there plots. As in, the second sequel is about the filming of Bladerunner, being watched over by Deckard as a creative consultant.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004

You could almost miss the motorcycle in the background - there's a lot of racing bikes around the outside of the building, which is a massive arcology.

But that massive camera is the weirdest thing in the picture

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

mind the walrus posted:

Doubly so since 1994 was in the middle of MJ's weird paramilitary fashion phase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

When I was a dumb kid who was dumb, I thought after all that criticism MJ went through, it was weird that he'd shoot a music video where he's worshipped like a god-king

and man, that one song on that album that was just a tantrum

Even the dumb kid thought it was weird and meant something

I'm not 100% sure this is sci fi: