Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

How Wonderful! posted:

I think it's a solid idea, although the recent Fantagraphics collections make some weird decisions in terms of printing order, so you're not always getting a straight chronology per se. I do feel like Gilbert hits the ground running with Palomar a little more quickly than Jaime does with the Locas stuff, Heartbreak Soup is excellent from page one.

Gilbert got his weirdness/experminental out in most of the non-Palomar stuff he was doing in Love and Rockets, where as Jaimie has basically stayed on variations on Locas for his entire career.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

How Wonderful! posted:

A lot of it is in Amor y Cohetes but I'm not sure if all of it is. I think that Comics Dementia is mostly slightly more recent stuff (90s onwards) but I could be off.

Hm, I don't know, I think that even a lot of his "main" projects are really at their best when he dives back into magical realism and this almost numinous element of strangeness. I was thinking of the tree in "Spirit of the Thing" and I think Poison River that gives whoever approaches it what they want depending on how long they can bear to see it reveal itself, the "bird research" people in Children of Palomar, stuff like that.

I phrased it badly, I think, what I meant was that the early Palomar stuff occupies firmer literary ground than early Locas. While Jaimie is dabbling in super heroes and super science and dinosaurs, Beto did all his pulp genre experimentation in the stuff collected in Amor y Cohetes.

In some ways Beto is more interesting to me because he's just as good a cartoonist as Jaimie if radically different in style, but rejected the early praise and interest to do his own weirdness. There's a lot of people who would have been very happy to see Gilbert do Palomar forever and ever. Certainly when I was reading the original collections, I liked Beto's stuff more than I liked Jaimie's. It definitely flipped at some point though.

Beto's highs in Love and Rockets Volume 1 are very high, but you can see him bristling against being pigeon holed into latin american magical realism soap opera.

Jaimie's interests have largely coincided with the audience's interests once he got his groove going. Except maybe his latest stuff which is showing a bit of the ol' Beto, "gently caress you, this comic is about new characters".

Comics Dementia has some stuff going back to the 80s, but yeah it's mainly 90s onwards. Reading collections of the Hernandez bros. is a nightmare of missed stuff including Beto whole heap of non-Love and Rockets comics that range from sublime to "interesting" most of which are uncollected. That's not even beginning to talk about all the stuff Mario has done (which I think is pretty good! If not to the standard of his brothers).

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Vincent posted:

Oh yeah, you have a good point. Love and Rockets, while being their main thing, is not the only thing Los Bros have done. There's some other comics, guest strips, pin-ups and short stories that have never been collected and that must be a bitch to track down, since they were originally in indie or small press comics from the 80's and 90's.

Worse, there's stuff done for Dark Horse, Marvel, DC, and Image from the 2000s that's uncollected as well.