Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Accretionist posted:

Couldn't figure that one out till now

give them 2500 years in that and they'll end up like this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

i'm just gona post this here too

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

hard counter posted:

my ice blood craves 8 months of winter

even canada is too warm for me :smith:

I'd love to live somewhere actually cold.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

I'd love to live somewhere actually cold.

Nah, you probably don't. Also to reiterate you get places are much colder and have more extreme winters in both the US and in Canada than you do in any Scandinavian country, unless you count Greenland which you really shouldn't-

I think there's a lot of misconceptions amongst Americans and such about what Scandinavia is actually like as opposed to dramatic nature pics (you got lots of dramatic nature in your own country as well by the by). When honestly I feel like what it's actually kidn of like is like the Mid-West just with socialized health care and more White people.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Nah, you probably don't. Also to reiterate you get places are much colder and have more extreme winters in both the US and in Canada than you do in any Scandinavian country, unless you count Greenland which you really shouldn't-

I think there's a lot of misconceptions amongst Americans and such about what Scandinavia is actually like as opposed to dramatic nature pics (you got lots of dramatic nature in your own country as well by the by). When honestly I feel like what it's actually kidn of like is like the Mid-West just with socialized health care and more White people.

Sweden is feels more hilly than the Midwest by a country mile. The Midwest is spooky flat in places. If anything it’s more like the Pacific NW, especially with the white people, at least where I am.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Randarkman posted:

I know good and well what the gently caress I like buddy.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Randarkman posted:

theoretically you could live in edmonton, alberta and still very technically be in civilization but you trade -50 winters w/windchill for +50 summers w/humidex, and that's a devil's bargain only an albertan would agree too

i'd definitely be alright with the long mild winters + short balmy summers combo, the net result is being pleasantly cooler

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Peanut Butter posted:

I live in northeast Scotland and I would swap with you in an instant.

e: pm me bb x

Is there much concrete in northeast Scotland? This is important.

Thankyou!
In January I went for a drive on a 47 degree day and got caught in a combination hailstorm/dust storm/ash cloud. The air was corrosive enough to damage my car's paint.
It is really nice to be reminded that there are places where water, like, flows and stuff.

Winklebottom posted:

Watching those horse skins sway in the wind in absolute silence did wonders to instill a sense of dread and/or presence of old gods when you visited on school trips.

They take children here??!?

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.

canada_in_march.jpg

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Tree Bucket posted:

Is there much concrete in northeast Scotland? This is important.

Thankyou!
In January I went for a drive on a 47 degree day and got caught in a combination hailstorm/dust storm/ash cloud. The air was corrosive enough to damage my car's paint.
It is really nice to be reminded that there are places where water, like, flows and stuff.

They take children here??!?

The bog demands sacrifice!

eternity test
Apr 30, 2006
Had some delicious pizza today

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

This is the key to understanding Scandinavia.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

teen witch posted:

Sweden is feels more hilly than the Midwest by a country mile. The Midwest is spooky flat in places. If anything it’s more like the Pacific NW, especially with the white people, at least where I am.

lovely quality, but hello from the plains.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Mooey Cow posted:

lovely quality, but hello from the plains.

this is also denmark.jpg

Catpain Slack
Apr 1, 2014

BAAAAAAH
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejJVtbHNXvA

Banjo Bones
Mar 28, 2003

I was briefly in Oslo while waiting for a connecting flight and was struck by how beautiful Norway was. Still dream of going back. I kind of want to fire up Skyrim again after reading through this thread.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
S+ tier: Norway
S tier: Iceland
A tier: Finland, Faroe Islands
B tier: Åland, Denmark
C tier: Svalbard, Greenland
D tier: Jan Mayen
E tier: Bouvet Island
F tier: Sweden

ass cobra fucked around with this message at 12:06 on May 15, 2020

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

rear end cobra posted:

Fair, I'll take it.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

https://youtu.be/454p6Ibilgw

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhQ9K_B2TGE

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=071pe_pXAD4

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Malmö

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

rear end cobra posted:

So Norway and iceland are the worst far and away?

I mean, s is like 23 letters after a, so.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

My Spirit Otter posted:

So Norway and iceland are the worst far and away?

I mean, s is like 10-30 letters after a, so.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Lead out in cuffs posted:

This is the key to understanding Scandinavia.

I think really those rules could be applied to most societies. Mostly when they get brought up it's when rich people want to say boohoo people are being mean about my second bunga bunga yacht this is the law of jante.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Randarkman posted:

yea think like the UP not like, illinois

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
STRYN, NORWAY:

Oooh

edit: Fixed the typo.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 15, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Winklebottom posted:

There's a archaeological open-air museum called Land of Legends in Lejre, Denmark, which has some pretty neat reconstructions, like an Iron Age village and a sacrificial bog.

Watching those horse skins sway in the wind in absolute silence did wonders to instill a sense of dread and/or presence of old gods when you visited on school trips.

I vaguely recall these being posted before. Are they called any particular thing? I've looked up sacrificial bog but I all I get is the wiki article on bog bodies

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Accretionist posted:

STYRN STRYN, NORWAY:

Milo and POTUS posted:

I vaguely recall these being posted before. Are they called any particular thing? I've looked up sacrificial bog but I all I get is the wiki article on bog bodies

Isn't that where the bog bodies are from though?

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

Nidstang/nithing pole

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I've been thinking strongly about applying my apprenticeship credits towards an electrical engineering degree with a focus in geothermal energy and emigrating to Iceland with my wife.

It's just a super pretty place and also not the USA

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

those filthy swedes

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*
Is this normal in Scandinavia?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFi-xf9kMnI

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Maybe remove a bit of joy from it and you've got a typical stereotypical representation of Finland.

Also, Vikingfjord is a terrible vodka.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Grevling posted:

I think really those rules could be applied to most societies. Mostly when they get brought up it's when rich people want to say boohoo people are being mean about my second bunga bunga yacht this is the law of jante.

Nah they're a parody of a very real phenomenon, whereby Scandinavians have an unconscious tendency towards egalitarianism. Like, the first class section on trains is almost nonexistent and barely an upgrade from the rest of the train. People get upset at someone correcting someone else because it seems like they're making themselves out to be smarter than the other person. It's very specific to that part of the world.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Scandinavians have an unconscious tendency towards egalitarianism.

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

While egalitarianism is some part of it, I'd say Jante more refers to a social drive towards conformity and not making a big deal about yourself. You aren't special, shut up and eat your lapskaus.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

It’s egalitarianism in that everyone is treated like cogs in a machine and one standing up is getting slammed the gently caress down....equally

Jante is a something that’s irritating to deal with but also kind of easy to gently avoid if you aren’t afraid to push back in the slightest.

Frankly I’m more bothered by Swedes being a bit parochial and terrified of strangers, loving peephole people. Four years here and now I feel that I have some sort of “community” however tenuous and fueled by alcohol. It is very isolating if you don’t have an in.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Accretionist posted:

STRYN, NORWAY:

Oooh

edit: Fixed the typo.

I bet the people who live there are smug as gently caress about their magic faery fjord.

Assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
A friend of mine went to Norway last year, I think he had a photo like that too. I wasnt too jealous because I thought I'd go next year, lol.