Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

My favorite was IV, especially with the expansions when they improved police behavior. It was insane first time stealing a tourist helicopter and swooping between skyscrapers for the sheer joy of it, not even as part of a mission or anything.

V was ok but drat the protagonists were badly written. Michael doesn't like reality TV, tech companies, yoga, and his kids misbehave. It felt like bad Arrested Development fan fiction, none of the humor lands and it made me not care about the characters. I don't like the Rockstar trend of ranking you after every mission. Sorry you didn't take a lot of actions you didn't know were available, that's a bronze star. Would you like to replay that 20 minute mission to try again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

20 Blunts posted:

like 95% of my video gaming has been GTA franchise.

I fondly remember my first time playing GTA III and how mind-blowing it was roaming around...for about 5 minutes, then some NPC spouted profanity and my parents took it back to Blockbuster :(

I do agree with the poster above that GTA IV is probably the most well-rounded GTA in terms of map, game mechanics and storyline. I still like San Andreas slightly better because the map is so cool, and the gang wars were fun. Not to mention San Andreas had the best soundtrack.

San Andreas - amazing soundtrack and just a lot of fun
GTA V
Vice City - Lance Vance's last dance!
GTA IV
GTA III

MakaVillian fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 13, 2020

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

^^this dude gets it

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I used to get high af and walk around in first person mode in 5. The detail work they did was just incredible.

Spoiled a bit in retrospect come to find out Rockstar had the worst crunch in the industry to get that nice first person detail :whitewater:

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
mario, duke nukem, and metal gear all made remarkably good shifts to 3d

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
gta 5s biggest problem is that the missions dont get fun until like, 20 hours in. for some reason every rockstar game now has to have like 50 pointless missions that arent tutorials before the player can actually do cool poo poo.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

MakaVillian posted:

GTA V
Vice City - Lance Vance's last dance!
GTA IV
GTA III

this ranking is objectively correct

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
My favorite GTA game is Saints Row 2.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

My favorite memory of San Andreas was taking a bike to a mountaintop and pedaling off at full speed. As CJ plummeted he yelled "I hate gravity!"

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Lol this "I hate gravity!" ^

MakaVillian posted:

I'd always get the same song on the same station when I'd cheat-spawn the jet. It was a really great game with a great soundtrack. Great graphics too for the era--it supported 720p on the Xbox via the component cable. I had San Andreas loaded up on the drive of a modded Xbox and the initial loading screen took about ten seconds tops.

GTA in cinematic mode was always a killer experience.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

Edit is not quote
e: content

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yezjn6TgI-A

grillster fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 13, 2020

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

GTA3 has probably my favorite soundtrack of any game. they didn't have the money or clout to put together a bunch of hits like they did later so it's all so homemade and cobbled together, i can't tell if they got really creative or just said "gently caress it, put whatever in there you can find". also chatterbox is the best of all the talk radios

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Hell yeah ripping parking meters out of the ground and throwing them at people along with lobster traps and fire hydrants, can't do that poo poo in GTA :whatup:

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

Wall Balls posted:

GTA3 has probably my favorite soundtrack of any game. they didn't have the money or clout to put together a bunch of hits like they did later so it's all so homemade and cobbled together, i can't tell if they got really creative or just said "gently caress it, put whatever in there you can find". also chatterbox is the best of all the talk radios

Some Chatterbox... classic within the first minute.

The GTA team must have hired some of the You Don't Know Jack end credits people.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

zenintrude posted:

On that note, is there any other medium in which the third title in a franchise is not only light years beyond the previous titles in the series but essentially sets the tone for its medium’s design for the next 2 decades?

FPS games, Wolfenstein

the first two Wolfenstein games were weird top-down stealth games, Wolfenstein 3D is a FPS where you slaughter hordes of nazis and then fight mecha-hitler

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
V is actually a serviceable racing game. Customization for vehicles, weapons, powerups, and crazy customizable tracks make for a pretty good arcade racing game despite the weirdass physics (hitting curbs makes you go faster).

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
The best part of GTA III was just driving around listening to Lazlow's show. The "countries that don't have guns ain't American" caller still makes me laugh.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.
The talk radio has always been the best part of GTA. Cheat codes, talk radio, and hilarious blood fountains when you snipe heads. That was peak GTA.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

K JAH 4 life

dk2m
May 6, 2009
i never noticed all the small details in gta 4 until i saw this. they put some crazy effort into that game

https://youtu.be/GWVtZJo-HqI

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

EorayMel posted:

Hell yeah ripping parking meters out of the ground and throwing them at people along with lobster traps and fire hydrants, can't do that poo poo in GTA :whatup:

That's kind of the thing. I'm not really into the GTA super serious structured story stuff much. I get bored of the missions and storylines after a couple hours in favor of doing goofy crap, which Saints Row is perfect for. I prefer the lighter slapstick mood.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

some of the set heists in GTA V were good, i mean they were pulled directly from movies, but having tangerine dream play while you drilled a bank vault was cool

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

dk2m posted:

i never noticed all the small details in gta 4 until i saw this. they put some crazy effort into that game

https://youtu.be/GWVtZJo-HqI

Jim's House of Inaccurate Guns and Parade Float Racing. Gross.

Idk overall 5 still just 'felt' better overall to me

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

i remember the driving in GTA4 being kinda punishing but i don't remember it being this bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Drp9o4E7G7U

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

zenintrude posted:

I don’t think we’ve had such a drastic shift in the immersiveness of games since the release of GTA3; It feels so insanely revolutionary compared to games before it.

On that note, is there any other medium in which the third title in a franchise is not only light years beyond the previous titles in the series but essentially sets the tone for its medium’s design for the next 2 decades?

xcom apocalypse was pretty meh

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

the city in saints row games was always dead. you could be at a downtown crossroad and the bustling city will spawn like 1 pedestrian and 1 car on the street

Resting Lich Face posted:

The talk radio has always been the best part of GTA. Cheat codes, talk radio, and hilarious blood fountains when you snipe heads. That was peak GTA.
sniping an incoming helicopter pilot after bunny hopping my bmx to the top of a 4 story building a block away was peak gta
or failing to catch up to the plane on my atv and trying to take it out with a rocket launcher hail mary. games wouldnt let that pass the mission now. it wouldnt fit the tightly scripted mission constraints

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Muscle Wizard posted:

gta 5s biggest problem is that the missions dont get fun until like, 20 hours in. for some reason every rockstar game now has to have like 50 pointless missions that arent tutorials before the player can actually do cool poo poo.

I love that one of the Saints Row games totally takes the piss outta that by opening with you losing everything and acting like you're gonna have to climb up from the bottom and then halfway through the tutorial mission to earn your power back your character just says "gently caress it" and makes their gang rob a bank or some poo poo off screen and you get access to pretty much everything almost instantly.
Shame the later games in the series never had all the random buildings you could walk into or hidden stores with different clothes. It's weird that one of the series that started off as a lovely GTA clone wound up 'getting' what made the GTA fun better than Rockstar. I've played every GTA since the ps2 ones and never completed a single one before getting bored, but I've completed every SR games since SR2.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

saints row sucks balls

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

redm posted:

My favorite GTA game was Jak 3.

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Coolness Averted posted:

I love that one of the Saints Row games totally takes the piss outta that by opening with you losing everything and acting like you're gonna have to climb up from the bottom and then halfway through the tutorial mission to earn your power back your character just says "gently caress it" and makes their gang rob a bank or some poo poo off screen and you get access to pretty much everything almost instantly.
Shame the later games in the series never had all the random buildings you could walk into or hidden stores with different clothes. It's weird that one of the series that started off as a lovely GTA clone wound up 'getting' what made the GTA fun better than Rockstar. I've played every GTA since the ps2 ones and never completed a single one before getting bored, but I've completed every SR games since SR2.

i dunno man i never really liked the series after 2, it got too cartoony for my tastes. like the reason why gta is cool is because its like you're loving around in the real world. if my dude has all these super powers and poo poo its like i'm playing one of those boring superhero games that were also open world but you couldnt do the fun stuff like shoot policemen. i don't really want to be superman who kills cops, i want to be a nasty lil fucker criminal. its gta.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Muscle Wizard posted:

i dunno man i never really liked the series after 2, it got too cartoony for my tastes. like the reason why gta is cool is because its like you're loving around in the real world. if my dude has all these super powers and poo poo its like i'm playing one of those boring superhero games that were also open world but you couldnt do the fun stuff like shoot policemen. i don't really want to be superman who kills cops, i want to be a nasty lil fucker criminal. its gta.
I liked the fact it didn't take itself too seriously, but I also stopped caring about the story in GTA games and would increasingly use the cheat codes to practically turn the sandbox into something just as goofy as SR pretty quick. So appreciated a game that just kinda embraced the big dumb stuff and kept escalating it rather than trying to be a mature game with an artistic story. The last one got pretty bad about that with the aliens, super powers, and being set in the matrix or whatever though, you're right. Hell I remember everyone realized pretty quickly it was easier to just use superpowers to get anywhere vs driving.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
efff saints row!!!

Big Beef City posted:

Jim's House of Inaccurate Guns and Parade Float Racing. Gross.

Idk overall 5 still just 'felt' better overall to me

I think 5 is just more arcade-ish or something, idk. They seemed to go more in the direction of realism with 4. They made everyone really fat in IV too, I remember now as I watch that youtube.

I feel like a spoiled brat about it but I don't really like 5's map. They should've done something more like Red Dead 2 where the map boundaries are rivers/impassable terrain. But then planes and helicopters, I guess. Just feel like I was all pumped for sprawling LA and some wide open desert, instead they make LA feel like a port city on a tropical island.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Saints row 2 was really good but Saints Row 3 was just missing something. All the neighborhoods felt the same, the city felt dead as hell, and it leaned way too hard in to the wacky humor. Like yeah that was present in 2 but people liked it because it came out at the same time GTA backed away from that poo poo in San Andreas with GTA IV being super serious and "realistic" and it felt like Volition didn't understand that.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

This is hard to describe and people are gonna poo poo on it, and that's fine. I'll understand.
I think part of my not liking SR as well was that while GTA and its crass humor came off as a parody of society and even itself, it could be pretty funny. SR always came off as the little brother who heard naughty words and said "That's it. That's what makes you funny." and ran with it and so had to be crasser, cooler, cheaper and more random-er and grosser because LOL that's what's funny, right guys, look! I can do it too! Look!

Which, yep, I know. But that's how it came off to me. Whatever.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Resting Lich Face posted:

Rusty Brown's Ringed Donuts is something that will stay with me until I die

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

I was obsessed with the original GTA when it came out and when GTA 3 came out it blew my mind.

One thing I found interesting is that if you switch the camera view to the bird's eye view it ends up feeling very similar to the original. That close up third person view really adds to the immediacy and impressiveness of the game, but the gameplay didn't change that much.

I did miss the massive chain reactions though. In GTA 1 you'd get cash for every exploded car, but a car set off by that explosion would earn double cash, and if a car was set off by that it would double again, and so and so on.

I loved grabbing a bus, blocking traffic, and cramming all the cars together for a massive chain reaction. I once beat the first city in like five minutes by creating an explosion worth a million dollars.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:

gary oldmans diary posted:

the city in saints row games was always dead. you could be at a downtown crossroad and the bustling city will spawn like 1 pedestrian and 1 car on the street

Ok, BUT - SR2 did a really cool secret thing that I wish GTA games would do. If you came across NPCs standing in a group and you joined the group, after a while your character would join in with what the group was doing. It was a neat little thing that really made the world feel more alive.

I agree everything after SR2 was disappointing. Your guy in SR2 is downright psychotic. I love the tonal shift from haha fun and games to the boss using a waitress as a human shield or glassing someone in the face. It wasn’t afraid to get pretty brutal with characters’ deaths. Trevor in GTA5 felt like a good approximation for the Boss. That’s the only GTA game I’ve ever finished actually mainly cause of his character.

And where the gently caress did my gender slider go in the other games Volition??

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I dunno if this has been patched by now but in V, sometimes when Trevor was standing still on a sidewalk people would call the police on him. Not super fun to have to deal with a wanted level when you are trying to do side missions.

Police battles took a huge dip in quality. It was thrilling to have Niko try to fight off hordes of cops armed only with a basic pistol and shotgun. It got a lot more generic and robotic in V.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

Famethrowa posted:

I used to get high af and walk around in first person mode in 5. The detail work they did was just incredible.

Spoiled a bit in retrospect come to find out Rockstar had the worst crunch in the industry to get that nice first person detail :whitewater:

The FPS mode is crazy to me. It makes the hosed up things you're doing feel just a little more "personal" and I actively avoid doing bad things when I play with it on because of that. I would like to do a whole playthrough of the game staying in FPS, but it was kind of janky when I messed around with it after first getting the PC version of the game. The Red Dead iteration was a bit better, but you can still tell when using it that the game and movement/animations were all designed solely with third person view in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

EorayMel posted:

Fun fact: manhunt takes place in the same GTA universe, in the same city across the one GTA 3 takes place in :hist101: (and also reuses some assets/sounds)

I hate myself for this, but Manhunt took place in Carcer City, not Liberty City. Same universe though.