Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Tony Hawk is back ya'll!!! That's right, after the disappointing disasters that were Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD and Pro Skater 5, Vicarious Visions, the devs behind the recent Crash Bandicoot remakes, as well as the handheld ports of the Pro Skater games back in the day, are making a proper remake of Pro Skater 1 and 2!

Check out the reveal trailer here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e03zsP3l2UY

Here's some gameplay!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjbx5D3lcuI

Here's an interview with Tony Hawk and the head of Vicarious Visions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4MUurdxvTs

What we know so far:

Release date is September 4, 2020

Confirmed Skater roster is

Tony Hawk
Bucky Lasek
Steve Caballero
Geoff Rowley
Andrew Reynolds
Elissa Steamer
Chad Muska
Eric Koston
Rodney Mullen
Rune Glifberg
Kareem Campbell
Jamie Thomas
Bob Burnquist

Custom skaters will be returning as well! In that interview I posted, the head of VV said there would be a "ton of diversity in faces, hair, clothing..." for create a skater features. Hopefully, that means that female skaters will be available. (You couldn't make a female skater in the og THPS2. They were added in the og xbox rerelease of THPS2 "THPS2x" but female custom skaters weren't available in many other Tony Hawk games like Proving Ground and the story mode of American Wasteland)

All levels from both Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1 and 2 will be in 1+2 (Including secret levels!)
Which means the level roster should look something like this:

Warehouse
School
Mall
Skate Park
Downtown
Downhill Jam
Burnside
Streets
Roswell
Hangar
School II
Marseille
NY City
Venice
Skatestreet
Philadelphia
Bullring
Chopper Drop
Skate Heaven

It's unknown If the console exclusive levels like Hoffman Factory from the N64 version of THPS2 will return. My guess is no, but who knows!

Create a park returns! There will be new options like the ability to modify ramps and change their shape. You can also create your own rails and make "roller coaster" style rails.

New tricks not seen in the OG THPS2 but added in later installments will be in 1+2. You can revert now! Thus you can go on insane combos the series is famous for.

The original soundtrack is (mostly) back! Music licensing is a huge obstacle for remakes and rereleases for old games like this but VV has managed to get all the original songs from Pro Skater 1 and 2 EXCEPT for:

Cyco Vision by Suicidal Tendencies
Committed by Unsane
Bring the Noise by Anthrax & Public Enemy
B-Boy Document '99 by The High & Mighty
Out With The Old by Alley Life

All the other songs will be back!

2 player split-screen is back! There's also now online play as well. You will also be able to upload your custom parks and share them with the world.

What do you think? What are you hoping to see in this remaster? Thoughts?

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

They didn't get Bring The Noise for the soundtrack.

Preorder cancelled.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

This game looks really pretty, I'm very excited to play it on my PS4 Pro and gawk at all the cool lights and scenery. Of course, I'll be playing as Bucky Lasek, just as I did when I was a child. (I don't know why, probably because "Bucky" was a cool name)

I think the Warehouse has to be one of the most iconic first levels of any video game ever

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

DC Murderverse posted:

I think the Warehouse has to be one of the most iconic first levels of any video game ever

Oh yeah! It's right up there with Doom's E1M1 Hanger, Mario Bros' World1-1, and Goldeneye's Dam! Unforgettable.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

It seems embarrassing to admit now but i hope this opens up the door for a THUG 1 and 2 remake as well. I loved these games when I was a kid, remember going to blockbuster to rent these every few weeks. First one I owned was Pro Skater 4

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Carlosologist posted:

It seems embarrassing to admit now but i hope this opens up the door for a THUG 1 and 2 remake as well. I loved these games when I was a kid, remember going to blockbuster to rent these every few weeks. First one I owned was Pro Skater 4

Same! I actually didn't play much of the first 3 as a kid. I would just rent them from blockbuster every now and then. I only really got into the series when I bought the first underground from EB games back in 2006. I played the hell out of that game and later bought Underground 2 and Pro Skater 4. I just recently got Pro-Skater 3 and 2x and have been playing them again.

I haven't been this excited for a new game in a long time!

BTW I edited the OP to include the level roster!

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 17, 2020

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
I was really hoping for a Switch port as well :(

But glad it's coming to PC

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

X13Fen posted:

I was really hoping for a Switch port as well :(

But glad it's coming to PC

It may get ported over to Switch later like the Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy did! You never know!

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 17, 2020

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Very excited for this. Reverts seem like it will be wierd in the classic levels but whatevs!

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

field balm posted:

Very excited for this. Reverts seem like it will be wierd in the classic levels but whatevs!

I've spent more time with the classic levels in later entries (like THPS2 School 2 in Underground, or THPS2 Philly in Underground 2, and a bunch of the first Pro Skater levels in American Wasteland) and honestly revert makes those levels play even better imo. You just have so many more choices and options for your combos.

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 06:12 on May 17, 2020

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
lol at them not getting the high and mighty track. Those guys still bickering I guess.

I'll probably get this, yeah.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Carlosologist posted:

i hope this opens up the door for a THUG 1 and 2 remake as well.

Yeah! Hopefully, this does well and they do Pro Skater 3+4 for a sequel. Then they can do Underground 1+2 (and maybe have American wasteland be dlc for UG1+2) and we'll have all the good Tony Hawk games!

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Really looking forward to seeing how pretty the mall and downtown levels look now. I wish they would reveal more gameplay!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I am crossing my fingers for this, hopefully this can make Tony Hawk HD a distant, bad dream.

I missed out on Skate so this is really the only skateboarding series I have any fondness toward. I spent way too long playing the first three games and I'm more then willing to do the same with this one.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

I really hope they add in create a goal from the underground series. Skating around custom parks with no objectives would be kinda dull. Plus it would add so much replayability to the main levels. Especially if you can upload your own create a goals and play other peoples CaGs.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Did any of you play ea skate or are you in this for street fighter skate boards

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Zigmidge posted:

Did any of you play ea skate or are you in this for street fighter skate boards

I tried playing Skate but couldn't get into it. Tony Hawk has me spoiled. In THPS, you skate at 40 miles an hour and can ollie 30 feet in the air. Skate is so realistic it feels so slow and sluggish in comparison. It's like going from a boomer shooter like DOOM or Duke 3d where you run at 50 miles an hour to playing a slower more realistic shooter like Call of Duty or Battlefield. It's a rough transition lol I've been meaning to give it another chance tho.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Jamie Faith posted:

I really hope they add in create a goal from the underground series. Skating around custom parks with no objectives would be kinda dull. Plus it would add so much replayability to the main levels. Especially if you can upload your own create a goals and play other peoples CaGs.

This is the one thing that drags Session down for me at the moment. It's pretty good for such early access and they add new areas pretty frequently, even a new park during this lockdown.
It is more Skate than THPS but you can arcadify the controls and handling to some extent

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Can I play as spiderman in this

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Fried Watermelon posted:

Can I play as spiderman in this

He hasn't been announced it. Who owns the Spiderman license? If it's not Activision then probably not.

We'll probably get Crash Bandicoot and Spyro as secret bonus skaters tho!

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 21:38 on May 20, 2020

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Here's a short interview with Steve Caballero for Pro Skater 1+2 featuring a few seconds of gameplay we haven't seen before. The gameplay bits show some more of the Venice beach level! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qR6XmEBSGCQ

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Jamie Faith posted:

He hasn't been announced it. Who owns the Spiderman license? If it's not Activision then probably not.

We'll probably get Crash Bandicoot and Spyro as secret bonus skaters tho!

Sony has a hold of it now. So PS4 only Spiderman?

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Lord Lambeth posted:

Sony has a hold of it now. So PS4 only Spiderman?

Probably! Maybe the Xbox version will have Masterchief or Marcus Fenix or something for their version.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Jamie Faith posted:

I've spent more time with the classic levels in later entries (like THPS2 School 2 in Underground, or THPS2 Philly in Underground 2, and a bunch of the first Pro Skater levels in American Wasteland) and honestly revert makes those levels play even better imo. You just have so many more choices and options for your combos.

As an OG THPS2 High-score getter, I'm gonna have to disagree with this. Coming up with cool and good lines where you can work in air to rail transitions to keep a combo going was a huge part of THPS2 and what made chasing high scores really fun. The addition of the Revert (and the infinite Special meter...) Made high scores and combos more boring, because you can pretty much just do anything anywhere and it'll work out. Level design had a huge hand in this as well, but I don't think the addition of the newer combo tech will necessarily make everything better right out of the gate.

Yes I know I am coming across incredibly :corsair:.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

AirRaid posted:

As an OG THPS2 High-score getter, I'm gonna have to disagree with this. Coming up with cool and good lines where you can work in air to rail transitions to keep a combo going was a huge part of THPS2 and what made chasing high scores really fun. The addition of the Revert (and the infinite Special meter...) Made high scores and combos more boring, because you can pretty much just do anything anywhere and it'll work out. Level design had a huge hand in this as well, but I don't think the addition of the newer combo tech will necessarily make everything better right out of the gate.

I see your point, but yeah we're going to have agree to disagree on that one. Like I get it. You're an oldschool Tony Hawk purist (not saying that as an insult or anything) and I was raised on Underground. For me having the freedom to revert and string combos anywhere really opens up the levels to infinite possibilities. It'll only "work out" if you have the skill to pull it off. Now, you're limited only by your skill, and not the level. I much prefer that style of gameplay personally. :)

But to each, their own! Maybe they'll include a "purist" mode that will let you turn off reverts!

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

NonzeroCircle posted:

This is the one thing that drags Session down for me at the moment. It's pretty good for such early access and they add new areas pretty frequently, even a new park during this lockdown.
It is more Skate than THPS but you can arcadify the controls and handling to some extent

I actually like how Session is right now with the challenge system where they are just things like "do any flip trick into a 50-50 down a 9 stair" because that's the same type of poo poo you do with your friends when you're skating (though none of us were ever good enough to pull off anything like that :downs:). As it is I'll load it up once a week or so and spend a few hours picking out a spot and trying to come up with a cool looking line that I can work to get through without loving it up.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Totally, Session is tied with Steep as my 'I'm in a Teams meeting' game.
It would make such a difference if the historical challenges weren't all a mystery though. I've got a few of them done, but it's a bit silly having to alt-tab to/look at my phone for a guide to see what they are when they could just be in game. Although I guess it's not that far removed from the hidden gaps in THPS. Can't wait for them to add grabs.

I used to 100% the campaigns with every skater, then wipe my save and do it again. And had every single gap from THPS through to Underground 2. I think Project 8 was the one I checked out at, mostly on the grounds I couldn't make a female skater if I remember. Was that the one with the weird focus mechanic?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Is there anywhere to buy THUG2 for PC at non-insane prices?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inzombiac posted:

if you're getting it for THUGPRO just :filez: it, it's not in print anymore and gently caress activision

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

NonzeroCircle posted:

I used to 100% the campaigns with every skater, then wipe my save and do it again. And had every single gap from THPS through to Underground 2. I think Project 8 was the one I checked out at, mostly on the grounds I couldn't make a female skater if I remember. Was that the one with the weird focus mechanic?

Hey, same! :) Except, I only do the campaigns with my female create a skater, I don't bother with the other skaters, but I also do all the goals and gaps. I'm actually almost done with a THPS marathon right now. I started with 2x (altho I didn't get all the gaps in it because there's no way to check which gaps you have ingame.) then I did 3 (all goals and gaps), 4 (ditto), Underground (all goals and gaps on sick difficulty baby!) Underground 2 (also 100% on sick) and now I'm working on the classic mode of American Wasteland (I'm not doing the story because its sucks IMO plus you cant make a female create a skater for some baffling reason :( ) Afterwards I'm going to do downhill Jam on the Wii (Which is really underrated if you ask me) and then call it a rap. Maybe I'll play Project 8 if I have time before THPS1+2 comes out.

But anyway, you can make a female skater in the 7th gen of P8 but you cant in the American Wasteland story mode, the 6th gen P8 or any version of Proving Ground. And yes, p8 was the one with that mechanic. :)

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Inzombiac posted:

I got my copy for like 20 bucks but I think I got lucky and just found a cheap copy. Yeah what WeedlordGoku69 said.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
I am so loving hyped for this. Also echoing the purist mode sentiment. I love the revert in the levels designed with it in mind but i also cant live without manuals in thps1 levels so what do i know

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Jamie Faith posted:

Here's an interview with Tony Hawk and the head of Vicarious Visions!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4MUurdxvTs
lol @ the bit at 14:00. Why yes it is totally a pity that there is no way to play these old PS1 games.

Can't wait for Skate Heaven remastered.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Hmm so according to a whatculture gaming vid on Tony Hawk Pro Skater 1+2, we will in fact have a mode that turns off reverts and all the other new tricks! I can't for the life of me find a source on that tho, so take it with a grain of salt.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

https://twitter.com/TonyHawkTheGame/status/1276575958347255809

:unsmith:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

AirRaid posted:

Manuals being introduced in THPS2 did more for "let you do anything anywhere" than reverts did, reverts were basically a necessity since doing vert tricks was an extremely bad idea in part 2 which was pretty dumb

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

wyoak posted:

Manuals being introduced in THPS2 did more for "let you do anything anywhere" than reverts did, reverts were basically a necessity since doing vert tricks was an extremely bad idea in part 2 which was pretty dumb

It wasn’t an extremely bad idea, you just had to be creative with your pathing so you could land on a rail and grind out. The level design was actually pretty conducive to this, there were a lot of very deliberate lines you could take to do this.

Every big high scoring run started with a Special vert -> Special Grind combo (Pogo Air into Heelflip darkslide was usually the best/highest scoring option) and then went from there to gain multiplier.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

The Warehouse demo is up!

Heres Rad Rat playing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRMo0uustP4&t=1917s

It looks great! I think this is going to be the Tony Hawk game we've been waiting so long for.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

exclusives suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Epic's captcha with that "rotate animals arbitralily. 20 times" can absolutely go gently caress itself.
Trying to make an account on my phone now so I can give the demo a go tomorrow and this is the hardest thing game-related thing I've ever tried.