Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Way back in middle/high school I subscribed to the scifi magazine Analog, and man was there some serious trash published. What was real bad were the stories where it was obvious the author was just ham-fistedly shoving their weird fetishes in.

The worst one involved people uploading their consciousness into other bodies, mechanical or biological. Like one character temporarily uploaded into a robot body to get better access to some difficult, remote area or whatever. No big deal so far, nothing crazy here, lots of scifi has dealt with this.

It starts getting weird with the main character's wife. She's uploaded into a cat. Not temporarily or for laughs, she just straight up lives her life in the body of a regular housecat. No, this does not contribute anything to the plot, it's just at thing. Dude's married to a cat.

It goes straight into Deviant Art level stupidity with this secondary character who happens to occupy a gorilla body. Sounds fun, except he apparently has terrible incontinence issues, in public even, because I guess gorillas can't control their bowels or something?? So why not change bodies, it's apparently very easy in this story's universe? Because this character has an extreme fear of doing so! What a terrible situation! And no, this doesn't add anything to the plot, either. There just happens to be a gorilla with a history of making GBS threads himself in public.

Pretty sure I unsubscribed not long after that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

SkeletonHero posted:

Criminally overlooked shooting game Binary Domain is bonkers.

Oh Christ that was loving weird, yeah once the story starting coming together I had to straight up ignore it, just keep shooting the bad robots and enjoy all the one-liners. The whole game is like playing a fun, dumb action movie, but the robot babies thing was painfully stupid and hosed up.

The outrageously French robot was definitely the best part of that game.