Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yJ6KZr6LVE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I was about to edit this in there but now it’s for you :glomp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFaXYsdEsGs

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

One of the all time best New York hardcore bands imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSjf5MIX6xY

Did I already post them? gently caress

Oh well here’s more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3XuyC7Hg-s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0s6UikQpGYk

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I saw Flower open for Swordwielder and they were pretty great. Had never heard of em before, nice surprise.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Flower am good

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

caleb posted:

I spent a bunch of money to record with legendary nyhc dude Don Fury and I like all of this "two 57s in a room" stuff like Flower much better than how our record turned out. I guess I got to hear weird stories about Madball but at the end of the day... I'm never paying anyone to record my bands ever again.

Yeah my band recorded w him almost 30 years ago and some of our rehearsal tapes sounded much better. Not as clean, in fact they sounded kind of awful but way more powerful than how he did it. But also he barely paid attention.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

caleb posted:

You probably got the Coney island days.

He was in a basement in the lower east side or nolita or something, I can barely remember. I was there with two bands, first was like 1988, I almost forgot about that. That recording is a loving nightmare but I can only blame that on our total lack of ability.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I said it was bad but this was my first band, we were all in high school and recorded these tracks for a late 80s nyhc comp but didn’t make the cut. In retrospect we wouldn’t have been the worst band on there.

We broke up soon after this and never even released a demo so to have a few songs come out on this mixtape 30 years later was pretty awesome. There’s some very cool people on that tape and the book is good too if you’re into graffiti and hardcore.

We did the last three songs on side B:
http://wardancerecords.bandcamp.com/album/urban-styles-mix-tape-side-b

E- if it wasn’t clear the mixtape came with the book, check out the book here https://deathwishinc.com/products/urban-styles-graffiti-in-new-york-hardcore-by-freddy-alva

Oh hey wait he did a little write up about it. I’ll shut up now

https://www.noecho.net/features/urban-styles-mixtape-the-soundtrack-to-the-nyhc-book

Snowy fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 14, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

It was new breed

And that Chaka Kahn picture is surprising and cool

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

caleb posted:

I am a sucker for intro tracks like Rival Mob, Righteous Jams, etc. Your vocalist sounded like Darby and that's :waycool:

Everyone needed intros in the late 80s, having a moshy stompy thing seemed like the cool guy way to go. And yeah he had an unusual style, I never knew quite how to describe it.

Serious Party Gods posted:

Dude "No New Dreams" is weird as poo poo. Neat. Feels truly unwieldy.

A lot of people say they don’t know how to play their instruments but then they put out normal sounding songs and play on the beat. We didn’t know poo poo and it shows :v: What I’m really happy about was just having that tape come out so long after the fact, so I could be like “look I was in an 80s nyhc band and I can prove it!” Like all of a sudden we existed after just being a weird memory.

albany academy posted:

Thats cool as poo poo! Did you ever play with any of those bands?

No, we never played any shows. That was toward the end of CBs matinees being any good imo and ABC no Rio’s weirder punker scene took over for me shortly after that. I ended up playing early shows w dropdead and disrupt, bands like that, but not many nyhc bands. I feel like Breakdown played a show we did but I have no proof of that.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

albany academy posted:

so that means you must have seen born against?

Yeah a few times at ABC, I loved them and Life’s Blood, Dear Jesus zine and all that. Then my friend Daryl became their drummer for a while, that was fun. I think he’s on the flexi.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This is my evening soundtrack, because I listened to some Witch and thought about other J Mascis stuff I like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0me54Ly3Qc

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This old Brazilian punk dude sends me lots of pictures and links, he just got an Alehammer picture disc and I had never heard of them. Side project by Doom members apparently? Sounds good so far to me, might be old news to everyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUhH58UyhhM

E- I mean it is from 2007 :v:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I found a 12” by The Action a long time back, they were a Canadian band who got signed to a major label when people thought punk was going to be huge. TV is on the blink is like a early TV Party

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0o-feHeoRA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KioPdUUwHYI

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Are you Canadian? No hate!

No, it was in a dusty old little record store in Manhattan. They also had a test pressing of Black Flag’s The First Four Years for a few bucks so that was cool.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

caleb posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrugYB7dPOA
our dear friend freaked out because he did too much blow and went on a posting frenzy.

Say what?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

caleb posted:

Look up like 5 posts I guess I would rather keep talking about records post a song snowy and I will listen to it

Oh that’s disappointing I thought one of the misfits had a nice freakout or something.

Anyway, less YouTube links, more stories

”THE DAY I GOT BOMBED AT A DEAD KENNEDYS SHOW” posted:

We all knew it wasn’t the best place for a show. There had been a brawl with locals at a Black Flag–SOA show the year before. I probably shouldn’t have returned, but I wanted Danny to see the Dead Kennedys, so we headed over to the Starlite.

Before the show, Danny and I sat on a curb in front of the club. It was a scorching-hot summer day, and punks stood around in groups talking. Then I saw a car drive up very slowly. I had gained a certain amount of street sense from living on my own in the city, and I remember saying to myself, “I don’t like the looks of this.” I thought its occupants were about to do a drive-by shooting. Danny was in the middle of a sentence when I grabbed his hand and said, “Run!” I pulled him down the street, running as fast as I could.

I heard a loud explosion, then people screaming. The occupants of the car had hurled a bomb, made with a stick of dynamite, ball bearings and BB’s, into the crowd. People ran into the street shrieking, with ball bearings and BB’s embedded in their legs and arms — one girl’s heel and ankle were severely injured. Blood was splattered over the sidewalk.

https://www.ozy.com/true-and-stories/the-day-i-got-bombed-at-a-dead-kennedys-show/88210/

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

If you like stories about LA punk, gangs, and drugs, make sure to check out this site https://jamesgenocide.com/

Have a few quotes!

quote:

The Clash had played at The Hollywood Palladium and it was Sold Out. John of Circle One came over to The Cathay and started mustering some people to rush the front doors of The Palladium. So we all followed him over to Sunset Blvd in front of the doors of The Hollywood Palladium and waited. John Macias organized everyone on Sunset to get ready to rush the doors as soon as The Clash played White Riot.

And that’s just what we did, someone pried the doors open with a screwdriver and we all rushed in when The Clash played White Riot.

Security scrambled to stop all of us but there were so many of us we just mowed then down as we rushed in.

They closed the show down and The Cops arrived and started wacking people not moving out of the area fast enough. Skirmishes broke out all around the Palladium. People would throw bottles at the cops and then run like hell when the Cops advanced.

Or

James Genocide posted:

I don’t know what show was going on at The Olympic Auditorium that night in 1984 but I can tell you about The Battle Royal that went on in the parking lot and back alleys around the Olympic Auditorium that night between The Lads and The Suicidals.

I remember standing near the box office window with some friends when all of a sudden three Suicidals walked by like they were on patrol. They then walked out of the lot and across South Grand Avenue into the alley.

Lurch, Oliver and I gave each other the look and we immediately began to make our way across South Grand following these Suis through the alley towards South Olive.

Once we got as far as South Olive it was on … A three on three fight broke out with The Lads doing the rear end whipping. We took control quickly with these guys and were making short order of them when some short black dude ran from out of nowhere and cold cocked Lurch in the side of the head. Lurch was already fighting with one guy when the black guy ran up and hit him from the side. More Suicidals entered the street now and the numbers were changing on us. Then the black guy pulls a knife on us, swinging wildly at Lurch and Oli. We end up in a stand off even though we’re already out numbered. They wouldn’t commit even though they out numbered us. So we begin to make our way through the alley heading back to The Olympic.

As we’re walking back we hear some poo poo coming from behind us and as we turn to look we now see a huge crowd of Suicidals at the end of the alley on South Olive.

Members of the crowd were pointing at us and with that the crowd began running at Lurch, Oli and I at full sprint! We began to run in the direction of the Olympic but about midway through the alley I was hit from behind by that black guy we had fought with earlier.

The black guy tackled me from behind and I rolled onto my back and swung up. He swung down, then the crowd arrived and kicked the living day lights out of me. Just dudes whaling on me and kicking me. I balled up, covering my face, on the ground, while they thrashed me.

Then, I felt it… Something being poked into my leather jacket. It was that black guy stabbing me in the back. I could feel the knife get stuck in my leather jacket as he was stabbing me.

Yeah that’s the Suicidal Tendencies gang.

E- have a few photos

Snowy fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 21, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I can say this much for negative approach, I saw them a couple years back in a small packed club and they rocked the gently caress out hard, it was great.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

So much good stuff! I promise I won't share any more personal details or "joke around"...

Sorry to hear it.

This is a little punk adjacent but maybe somewhat interesting. In the late 80-early 90s Missing Foundation was kind of a punk industrial band on the Lower East Side in NYC that was also a big part of the anti gentrification movement there. Their graffiti was threatening and it was everywhere. They were such a mysterious boogeyman that there were scare pieces on the news about them and the fbi started investigating them as if they were terrorists. They were known for helping instigate the Tompkins square Park riot in 1988.

So in 93 I was making the rounds of the record stores and was playing some Street Fighter on an outside arcade machine. Gavin from Absolution came up and played a game, and said Missing Foundation were about to play in the park, so I walked over there with him to check it out. The park at the time was basically an autonomous zone full of awesome sketchy people, and the center of the East village.

Missing foundation came on in front of a crowd of punks and weirdos, and the place went wild. As the show went on and it got dark, people grabbed all the garbage cans and threw them in the pit and set them in fire. Then they drummed on the burning cans along with the band. M80s went off, and cymbals got thrown like frisbees into the crowd. At one point a member of the band wiped his bleeding hands on the wall of the bandshell, drawing their famous upside down martini glass logo that meant “the party’s over” for gentrifying yuppies who were going to get their homes invaded.

I was watching my back more than the band, and didn’t even realize when they made a quick escape before the cops came for them. They were pretty shrewd that way. This show left a huge impact on me.

I’ve since become friendly with Peter Missing, the main guy in the group, it been great to hear all the stories about this near mythical phenomenon.

Just found this video from early in the show, that’s why I’m bringing it up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvyYN2bMk_0

And I recommend this three part series about them that was on local news at the time. I watched all of these like WTF who is that?? Turns out it was a massive smear campaign. Peter was an is very into animal rights and was extremely upset that they said that MF was sacrificing animals because that rumor really got around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcQrjp8Myjg

The party’s over/three strikes and you’re out

Snowy fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Jul 22, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

caleb posted:

That's way easier to spray paint than the crown and the down. I have never seen or heard of it before but it rules.

I wish the symbol had caught on more, it’s still relevant and really conveys its message well imo. It works as anti gentrification, cops, banks, and pro squat.

It’s easy too, and you don’t need the three strikes part if you’re in a rush, the glass is enough.

Here’s an old NY Times article about it

https://www.nytimes.com/2002/04/29/nyregion/a-stirring-icon-that-shook-things-up-turns-20.html?referringSource=articleShare

If that article makes it seem like Pete was selling out or something, he’s been living as a nomad in squats in the us and Europe for decades, the guy owns almost nothing. I should probably post something in cspam about him, he was like 40 years ahead of them.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Johnny Rotten was in maybe the first rap/rock fusion band, which was probably a huge mistake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VgLkk_drx4

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

caleb posted:

This stuff is all fascinating and way cool and I have been sharing it with my friends who are all also upstate punks who were in pampers when this all went down. Idk what my point is thanks I guess

Thanks I’m really glad you’re interested! I was 17 when those new reports came out,
was fascinated then and I still have the vhs cassette that I taped them on.

I wouldn’t even say I’m a huge fan of the music, more of the movement around them. They had this real life element of danger that was amazing to see and were a huge part of the hardcore 1980s downtown landscape and zeitgeist I guess. So much so that they almost ended up touring with Public Enemy but the news reports and police investigations sidetracked everything.

I used to think they were a little over the top with their message but time has proven them completely right, downtown and nyc in general has been completely saturated with money and the banks and gentrifiers have won.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’d love to have him revisit this list and see how he thinks it’s stood the test of time. His NY choices are really weird to me. Blood Sweat and No Tears at #16 is insane-the 7” was better but even that should barely make the list, and Prong, Straight Ahead and Leeway are on there but no Urban Waste or Reagan Youth.

That’s all the stuff I grew up loving but in retrospect there was much better music out there.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Thrasher Skate Rock vol 3 was my skate tape, it introduced me to Septic Death and the Accüsed :kimchi:

I don’t think I can embed a playlist link

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF7zbUN8buhraPhjf5ewzdbtNM0Ut-P1r

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

albany academy posted:

SOIA being that high on the list might just be from when the list was compiled - i know pushead loves jocky hardcore (see: glue-step) but that album was huge when it came out, less so as the years rolled on. hindsight would probaly drop that in favour juicier nyhc, and i'd rather see sheer terror's just can't hate enough over anything soia released.

Yeah I’m sure that’s why it’s up there, and I’d love to see what changes he would make now, if any. I took a quick look to see if he keeps up any social media presence or anything, thinking he may have already talked about the list but didn’t see anything.

Just can’t hate enough is better than any sick of it all, yeah. Sheer Terror was older and kind of separate from the overall scene but soia, raw deal, breakdown, all of that seemed cool at first- once it quickly turned into wannabe gangster toughguy stuff it just went downhill fast. Somehow they still inspired a million lovely douche bands.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

caleb posted:

Also lol that I immediately knew which song you were posting after "been listening to suicide..."

Tom Scharpling fans would hope for Frankie Teardop

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Justin broadrick did an all punk dj set, fist pumping and screaming along to all the songs. It was a lot of stuff like Crass and Amebix, and this one I had never heard before

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOV_wAHBYyg

E- I love those horns and will have to sample them sometime

Snowy fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jul 24, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

No doubt, but for the folks (including myself) that aren't in the "90-99th percentile" of knowing what's up, it's a treasure trove of weird, good poo poo.
There is SO much material that's been uncovered and lauded in the last 30 years; everyone back then had sort of a limited scope.

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression, it’s a great list and I am not that full of myself to be making GBS threads on pushead’s taste, it’s just the nyc stuff I have personal experience with and stands out as odd to me in places. Edit: also with the help of hindsight

I’m just shooting the poo poo here because why not :)

Snowy fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jul 24, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLgNPzfBqy4

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuocFVXo0iQ

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Here’s some more stuff about early punk gangs in LA, the first one is an article from 82

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-1985-07-28-me-5552-story.html

And a blog post about one of the gangs, FFF

http://dirtcitychronicles.blogspot.com/2012/02/kalifornien-uber-chaos.html?m=1

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Is this a good place to talk about how Pat Fear (Bill Barrell) from White Flag was a police fetishist who had a major crush on my dad and would write him love letters to my dad's secret gay PO Box?

A THOUSAND TIMES YES

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Tbh there isn't a lot more to tell about it other than he became a cop for a while but quit after a few months of having to interact with other cops

Aw, well poo poo. Still a good story, thanks :) and nice work, dad.

E- does he still have the letters? :getin:

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My friend grew up in Bethlehem PA and got heavily into hardcore in the early 80s. He’s told me about this town where punk was mainstream, which was so different from my experience in the NYC area.

quote:

They were from Catasauqua, which kids on the scene used to call Little England. Catasauqua (or Catty) was one of the punkest small towns in America. there were some truly amazingly stacked shows from 84 to 86 there. it was like the Huntington Beach of Pennsylvania; as if Catty High was the PA version of Edison High in HB. And most of those kids were a bit crazed and tough. it was totally Class Of ‘84.

Every other high school in the LV had maybe 5 or 6 punkers each. but at Catty High it seemed to me like every single student was a punker, or at least wouldn’t give you poo poo for being a punker. i mean i would go to the Catty High dances with Larry Deiter and Story from The Complaints and hang high up in the bleachers with the punkers. I never even thought of going to a dance at my own high school in Bethlehem! I mean gently caress, that thought gives me shivers.

By the early 80s for some reason Catty had such a deep punk tradition and i don’t really know why…. To this day i still wonder about Why That Was. Someone brainiac should figure it out and do an ethnography.

There were even dances at some church in Catty that I and other LV punkers would attend. First time I went my mind was loving completely blown: little elementary & middle school kids (no lie) pogoing around with spiked hair, sid vicious chain necklaces with locks, and engineer boots. Tracy Pain’s gnarly older brother was DJing (999, pork dukes, sex pistols, uk subs, all Catty faves). The chaperones were all singing along to Friggin In The Riggin and dancing around.

I couldn’t believe it.

http://freedomhasnobounds.com/2020/07/17/youthquake/

I’ll have to see if he has written about the love of the Pork Dukes in the Lehigh Valley, that’s a weird story.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Here’s a cool article about 212-OPEC-SID, a phone line that had nyc show listings on an answering machine tape. It was a pretty big deal back when.

https://melmagazine.com/en-us/story/opec-sid-nyc-punk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvIkZSx_Vmk

quote:

Now 63, Glenn asked me to refer to him by first name out of professional concerns. In the early 1980s, he was a member of a punk rock group, and one of his bandmates suggested he attend an APRC meeting. He recalls that during the second or third session he took part in, APRC regulars began spitting out ideas on how to boost the local music scene. “We should start a record label!” one person may have said, to the delight of everyone in attendance. But another would then ask, “Okay, who has some money?” and the room tumbled into silence. The same result came when someone else said, quite ambitiously, “We should get the city to give us a building to hold shows in!” Finally, one attendee said, “We should have a free concert hotline!”

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Some day I’d love to see some good shows in japan

Like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AJ5x34uorM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peonvzpSxgE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIUeOahsjQ8

E- if you like posts in Japanese about hardcore and food, my friend there books shows and shares a lot of photos https://instagram.com/axl_tsuchida?igshid=u155iqhipja0

Snowy fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 31, 2020

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I love old Blondie videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zT_aGeMaeU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Blondie seemed like she was into the cutting edge cool poo poo and if you wanted that in mid 70s nyc you would definitely be downtown and most likely at cbgbs. From some older people I’ve met it sounded like she was like a local party girl in the scene out on coke binges all the time so I’m sure she felt at home with that crowd.

I’ve had a crush on her since I was a kid so one of these days I need to read her book. This video has me all in love again- someone released a ton of full length concert videos a few years back with two shows from this night in NJ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RlXAprKWHY

For more punk-adjacent stuff I just watched Threads, a 1984 BBC film depicting what nuclear war in England would look like. I was really surprised I hadn’t heard of it before because my dad was a peace educator and worked in anti nuke campaigns when I was a kid, so I grew up with an insane library of the horrors of war at home. Photo books of Hiroshima victims, IRA car bombings, on and on. So my dad went to a conference in London in 85 or so and met one of the guys from Conflict/Mortarhate. He gave my dad a stack of LPs and 7”s which then came straight back to me. That was my into to that whole style and scene.

So anyway the samples in this song came from Threads, I had no idea til I saw it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp2deejJP0M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgT4Y30DkaA

The whole movie is basically a Discharge album in film form and I think I recognized a few shots that became album covers. It’s on amazon video now for free if you have prime.

Watch the movie then binge on some 80s nuke vibes and punk

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMY9vRxSqcY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My friend just started taking bass lessons with Joe Lally via Skype

I guess it’s a good time to hit up musicians for stuff like that, they could use the money