Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I watched every MCU film in order this past year and I had a lot of fun with it. It's just kinda cool to be able to track when each little bit of lore and each character was first introduced and see how they change(or don't change, or are unceremoniously dropped never to be heard from again) over time. Like, when they do the Crossbones scene at the beginning of Civil War I really didn't know who that guy was but then going back and watching him show up as a SHIELD guy and then a HYDRA plant in Winter Soldier was pretty cool. There's a lot of stuff like that.

RBA Starblade posted:

Show her everything in order of release and every time she asks about Thanos say he's in the next movie.

When Thanos just all the sudden does show up in Guardians of the Galaxy it was a pretty surreal moment because honestly I think by that point I'd accepted that he was just never going to appear(outside of little two second cameos) and the series would never be able to deliver him as a major villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kull the Conqueror posted:

why not just watch the ones you think are good and/or enjoyable? is continuity really more important than that?

Like I said, I actually had a pretty good time watching each one and trying to notice the callbacks and just the whole trajectory of the various macguffins and characters. I guess it's just a unique thing, that there's this many movies that all were made in the same continuity so you can actually notice things across such a huge number of films.

I did the same thing with Harry Potter a few years back, it was fun to watch the series from the beginning and see all the little things that got paid off by the end.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I mean if you can only watch one Marvel movie, make it Punisher Warzone.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

precision posted:

Ang Lee's Hulk is one of the best movies, why would you omit it :confused:

Looking back it's kinda funny that they decided to pretend that movie didn't exist, because Incredible Hulk actually does work as a direct sequel to it. They obviously felt like the casting change made it necessary to start fresh with Norton but of course here we are years later and nobody gave a poo poo about recasting Hulk. So they really could've left it in the continuity.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I watched Iron Man 2 recently and Sam Rockwell is really good in it. He steals basically every scene he appears in.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm the sole human who enjoyed Thor 2, ama

It has some good stuff in it but it really drags in the middle. Also the whole Dark Elves thing just feels like a rehash of the first movie where you've got this ancient enemy of Asgard all the sudden declaring war once again. Only this time Thor didn't cause it himself, so even less interesting.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mIq-hoWpRM

An amazingly accurate arrogant CEO giving a presentation dance.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

A4R8 posted:

Yeah, just go watch insightful films with something to say instead, OP.

MCU movies are specifically designed by a committee of primarily old white people and their rich failsons in order to maximize as much profits as possible on the global market in favor of anything remotely resembling creative freedom. They don’t even allow the loving directors to film certain scenes. Black Panther literally has T’Challa protecting white supremacy in Africa FFS because the producers know 1) America is too docile and stupid to understand this, and 2) they know African countries don’t have the political agency to do anything about it.

Good comic book movies are almost always the ones that consciously downplay the source material in favor of realistic aesthetic, such as Blade, Logan, and Dredd 2012.

The premise of the thread is that they're watching the MCU movies. You are being a party pooper.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Xealot posted:

I don't imagine the delay is going to hurt the MCU commercially at all. Per your point, this is a fine time to interrupt what they're doing because there aren't any big ongoing plots. And if anything, when Black Widow finally does release, it'll be after pandemic restrictions loosen. So, you'll have this hotly-anticipated blockbuster releasing to people who feel really underserved, after months unable to leave the house. It might do way *better* than it would have normally, because fun new superhero entertainment now feels scarce.

Yea I think actually the pandemic is going to turn Black Widow and a few other movies that maybe don't quite deserve it into a huge hits. The whole "pent up demand" idea doesn't work in every context but for movies there will definitely be a major resurgence in people going to the theater in the month or two immediately after things get back to something resembling normal.

And by the time they do the next big team up movie, whatever that ends up being, we're talking 3-4 years down the road and I doubt what's going on now will be all that relevant to the box office numbers then.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
As far as plot goes, Civil War is where Tony and Cap have their falling out and that does come into play somewhat in Infinity War/Endgame. It also introduces Holland's Spiderman. That's about it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Kvlt! is genuine, that's the difference.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Laughing Zealot posted:

Putting it that way, what did IM3 do that affected the wider MCU?

Not the wider MCU necessarily, but it's the movie where Tony finally gets the shrapnel taken out of his chest.

Iron Man 3 could've had more impact on the MCU if they'd used it more to justify Stark's stance in Civil War. But Ultron came along and covered most of the same ground, making Iron Man 3 mostly redundant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The blah, messy look of Abomination was definitely called out at the time as the weakest part of the movie.