Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
oh hey, this is a thing!

i really need to keep better track of LPs here, I always seem to come in a while after new ones start. ANYWAYS. Gen 5 is great. Nowadays I prefer BW2 over 1 for various reasons, but these games are still very solid. Everything's fast paced! The sprites are animated! Literally every pokemon is something I'd never seen before. Seriously, coming in blind made this game an absolute treat.

Also, I know it was a couple updates ago, but :rip: Zorua. It's one of my favorite designs, but it got screwed over at basically every stage. I love it a lot, but also, would not recommend using it until, uh, gen 7 or 8. (and even then, in swsh you need DLC to get it, and an egg move to make it good.)

Also also: I'm very mad about the Zoroark event because I got multiples of each of the shiny johto 'mons, (due to being a 14 year old with every gen 4 game and also: no life) but I didn't know about the relocator. So I couldn't do the event. (IIRC, it literally doesn't work if you transfer them in with the postgame transfer lab!! why, gamefreak!!? :argh:)

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Jun 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

rannum posted:

Wally had 5 Pokemon and one of them was a Delcatty, let's not get on the "Wally's team was good/fine" train quite yet. & honestly I wasn't exatcly struggling against his Altaria or Magneton.
hey now! I'll have you know Delcatty can be good. Why, when I played through XD, I was able to use it no problem. All I had to do was powerlevel it to the point that it was a good 2 dozen levels higher than the enemies. :downs:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

We're getting close to our sixth team member, so if you wanna know what really grinds my gears, it's this nickname you'll vote for!
PRNDL. I mean, it learns shift gear, it only makes sense

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm one of the few people who likes the Klink family's design but also godddd gamefreak why do you only give it special attacks????

Also, I was under the impression Sawsbuck was locked to whatever form it evolved in. Is that not the case? That's kinda lame.
(I mean, ideally I would've liked if it was like wormadam, and each form was not only locked but a different typing altogether, but it's not cool enough to warrant that, I suppose.)

Black Robe posted:

God, Clay is pathetic. "Oh, you say you have more people? Somewhere else? Not here? Well of course you can go free even though I know you're a criminal, it's not like I'm this city's gym leader with a responsibility to at least try to stop you or anything. I certainly couldn't dream of fighting you if you claim to have more people somewhere else. Even though I have one of the most OP non-legendaries to ever exist on my team."

I don't know if the dialogue is any smoother in the original Japanese, but in English he just rolled over spinelessly for no reason. Between that and making us trail after him to get the TM reward, also for no reason, plus his attitude earlier making two random passing children chase down Plasma for him in the first place, I really don't like him.
Counterpoint: maybe he's just a lazy rear end in a top hat

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Skyla's cannon launching you face-first into a wall is probably my favorite Gym set-piece in the series. It also inspired Skyla to be pretty bananas in the manga, where she does things like push Black off of the top of Celestial Tower. And then there was this moment.

God drat, I loving love the manga

rannum posted:

Skyla in the anime loves flying even more than usual and doesnt like being taken away from it so she runs through what would happen in the battle and then gives a badge if she thinks she'll lose.

She determines she'd beat Cilan, he (& Ash, & Skyla's dad whos been over this poo poo for years now) gets mad and challenges her to a battle and then

beats him because turns out Skyla is in fact, really good :v:
Actually, scratch that, I just love Skyla now

Crosspeice posted:

Voting is closed! And our fiercest new team member, one that will cleave through the competition will be called... John. Sigh...
John is a perfectly acceptable name :colbert:

it's also exactly how I name my own team members when I can't think of a cute pun :v:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Aw gently caress, it's a dragon(s)

quote:

I appreciate that the ice-gym leader is an old mask-wearing samurai/ninja (and later, actor) with one tiddy out. The gym leaders were starting to feel a little too grounded for me.

So of course, he's the one that shows up when plot starts happening :v:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Congratulations!! You have acquired a rock. I'm sure it'll be great help in the final battle... maybe you can chuck it at N's head?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Black Robe posted:

Yeah, their decision to make the Champion openly useless this gen sure was a thing. I remember being very confused when Ghetsis told us that Alder was basically only still Champion because he wandered off and wasn't there to be challenged and hadn't actually fought anyone for years. The Champion is supposed to be the best trainer so that when they fail to deal with the threat we understand how serious it is and it feels significant. N beating Alder says nothing about how dangerous his new dragon is because Alder is rusty as heck and doesn't have a full team. All we've seen Alder do is order some kindergarteners to battle us.
I get why they made Alder useless, but like. Man, why even have him in the game? He's very :effort:
Which is a shame, because these games are coming right off the heels of platinum, which had Cynthia.

Well, at the very least, he's better than Diantha, the champion so memorable I had to google her name to make sure I was right.

Funky Valentine posted:

N needs to be shoved in a locker and by god Touya is here to do that.
Seconded. He is a weenie boy.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I know that the thread has almost certainly decided on the one piece reference for Unovan Tauros, but regardless, I shall toss in a vote for Miror B. Let's dance, baby.

Also, gonna go ahead and vote you bring along Milli, because Unova is where bug types got good, so you need to bring along our team's bug representative.

Also also, as someone who played Black, I'm lowkey kinda upset that White's version of the Opelucid theme is better

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Yaaaay, my dumb name suggestion won! :D

As a sidenote, i'm pretty sure this means you're obligated to teach them Swords Dance. Both because it's a good move, but also, you know:

:dance: :woop: Dancing. :woop: :dance:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Did u know: iris is adorable. The logical conclusion of the "kids go on pokemon adventures when they're 10" - sometimes, those kids catch giant monster dragons and they become slightly terrifying because of it!!

rannum posted:

That sidequest is so wild. Alternate worlds AND time travel all in one random quest that requires trading with the other version for a coveted item of a *checks notes* cell battery
On the other hand, imagine if an actually useful item was gated behind bugging on of your friends to trade with you. horrifying.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Crosspeice posted:

Could you imagine in future games these mons were available early but had the same level requirements? loving. Imagine.
The funniest part of their awful evolving conditions is the fact that gamefreak realized the requirements were horrible, and so literally the very next game gives you the ability to catch their evolved forms at like... level 25. Surprise surprise, Braviary actually kicks rear end when you can use it throughout the story! Who'da thought. Unfortunately, that's both the first and last time it'll ever be useful, so, :rip:

Speaking of terrible level requirements, the Deino family got screwed. A level 55 pseudo is the kind of thing you might have by the champion fight in most games, but level 64? Even having a decent postgame can't salvage that. Guess it'll be resigned to online forever.
Hm? What's that? The next gen introduces a type that's 4x effective on it? Ah, well, nevertheless.

Crosspeice posted:

Yes it was. We've reached the top, so next time, it's time for our final challenge, the ultimate endurance test, yes indeed, it's time for *checks notes* Musicals.

gently caress.
yaaaay musicals :dance:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

The best thing about Roar is that they gave it to the roaming legendary beasts in FR/LG and if they use it you can never encounter them again.
As someone who was insane enough to play through Leafgreen three times back in the day, I can confirm that Roar was bullshit, but I don't remember it *permanently* locking you out of the encounter? :confused:

Then again, it's been so long, I might've just used masterballs and dont remember

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Funky Valentine posted:

Fairy was invented in part to shut Hydreigon down.
Hydreigon is terrifying in this game

Two generations later, and it cowers in fear when you send one of these out onto the field

:allears:
95 in a secondary attacking stat: good
100 in your main attacking stat: bad

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Looker is kind of a weird choice for the series' Recurring Character, but he's such a goofball I can't help but appreciate him. :allears:

Also the village bridge music is great! It's so great I somehow completely missed it when I first played, because I was more invested in chasing down plasma goons, whoops

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

aaaaaaa Cynthia :swoon:

She's great. Definitely not an absolutely terrifying postgame encounter with zero buildup who will curbstomp you for fun, no, not at all.

In other news, man, there's a lot of postgame pokemon, huh? This is one of the only games I ever used a Metagross, even if only for the postgame. All the fun, and none of the "carrying a god drat beldum/metang through 40 levels of mediocrity".

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

It's extremely on brand for gamefreak to go to an annoying amount of effort making an cipher (which few people will bother solving instead of looking it up on GameFAQs), and then have that cipher tell you how to solve their maze. Were they disappointed that people figured out the braille in gen 3 too fast?

Crosspeice posted:

yes

I heard that Cynthia swims secretly when nobody else is around. And I heard she is great! Just great!
:chast2b:
Wait, is that a loving Colosseum reference? :psyduck:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Zoroark (Don Fluffles) @Choice Specs @Male
EVs: 252/252 SpA/Speed, use the extra 4 for literally whatever
Nature: Timid
Ability: Illusion, because that's its only option!
Shiny: yes, of course
-Night Daze
-Focus Blast
-Extrasensory
-Flamethrower

its ability may be awful, but it's pretty and this is its debut game, so it deserves a little bit of the limelight, yeah?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Yeah, those two places were a mistake. But this is the same game development company/generation that decided it was a good idea to lock Easy Mode behind completing the game on regular difficulty on a separate cartridge, then transferring that key over.
I love BW2's Hard mode, but man, gently caress that decision. I'm pretty sure the keys get erased when you start a new game, which is even more of a :psyduck:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Haifisch posted:

I love Gen 5 but I'm pretty sure it has the highest concentration of :psyduck: design decisions of any generation. The BW2 difficulty modes, Black City/White Forest, Musicals, the whole Snarl thing...

And I know that overly complicated intergen transfer methods were also a thing in Gen 4(and were somehow even worse in DPt, which only let you transfer six mons every 24 hours), but I still have no idea why Gamefreak thought any of them were a good idea. It's cute maybe twice before you start resenting it and wishing you could just transfer your mons with no fuss.
The most :psyduck: feature of gen 5 is anything and everything involving the Dream World. Why the gently caress were hidden abilities tied to a website? Why were *berries* tied to a website??

As for poketransfer, I never really had a problem with it, personally! The Palpark was annoying as hell, but I never felt the need to transfer more than a single box of pokemon forward, and it doesn't wear out its welcome that fast.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I never did the Royal Unova sidequest because IIRC, "evening" specifically refers to 5-7pm or so, not the entire night, so it's easy to miss. I'm equal parts relieved and disappointed that it's a series of largely inconsequential battles and not much else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

Congratulations, you did it!! :toot:

Crosspeice posted:

There's quite a few women that visit Cynthia in her villa during the spring and summer, and you can rematch her once a day during the spring. Caitlin and Shauntal visit in the spring, while Lenora, Iris, Skyla and Elesa visit in the summer.
Fellas, is she, y'know,