Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
I love how on Stargate Atlantis the gate is the equivalent of a digital phone and can be dialled in seconds so the first time someone does the “Chevron 1 encoded” bit everyone gives him a dirty look because he’s just wasting time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bedshaped posted:

did they ever explore what happens if you send a DHD through the gate it is controlling?

Honestly the best thing about the stargate was that they established the rules of what it could do fully very early on and could devote entire episodes to what happens when you gently caress with those rules

There was a whole episode about the equivalent to trying to dial your own phone number, but with a Stargate.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Statutory Ape posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZkqOKD1uFU

lmao tealc "do i????????????????????" like he definitely also realized the trillion times jack said indeed back and it being a joke

i always assumed atlantis sucked for basically no reason i guess and so i didnt watch it until about 2012. man, that show rules i love the cast so much mostly

Stargate Atlantis rules. It’s probably the reason why I was able to stomach Mass Effect Andromeda more than most people could, that game has some Big Atlantis Energy going for it in some places so I was like “Okay, I can kind of dig this.”

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XxC5NgxRU8

If this clip doesn't convince you that you should really watch Stargate Atlantis I don't know what possibly could.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

ratchild13 posted:

I've been watching SGU lately, and really like the ship and the whole stranded with no resources idea. Shame it got killed after season 2.

The explanation that came out eventually was that SyFy tepidly wanted to give it a third season, but MGM literally ran out of money as a studio to keep making it, or any other Stargate media. There was supposed to be at least one Atlantis movie in the vein of Stargate Continuum and The Ark of Truth and it got spiked around the same time too, also because MGM, a major Hollywood production company, could not afford to make it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

Makes sense I guess when the only thing that makes you money is James bond movies

Skyfall literally saved MGM from bankruptcy. If it had bombed or under preformed, MGM as a studio was going to shut down.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Statutory Ape posted:

the scariest villains in sg1 were any time I thought they might have to face mirror universe tealc

guy was legitimately terrifying when he wasn't on your side

Yeah, there's a reason why any alt-Teal'cs quickly get won over to SG-1's side. I think there's more than one episode where he flat out kills all of SG-1 before the timeline/universe is restored.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bucnasti posted:

"This is a weapon of War."
"This is a weapon of Terror."

I love Stargate, but by far my favorite thing was the continuity, they developed and adapted, and they didn't forget about what happened in the last episode.
I cant count how many times on other shows would they would face a problem that could be easily solved by some doodad or whatsit they found in a previous episod, but on SG1 they were like "Lets go talk to that god we met last year and see if they can help."

And the fact that they kept it going across three different shows too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Statutory Ape posted:

even if a modern SG game never happens somebody should really just steal the entirety of the concept and make the gate a fuckin square and call it a day

Every Stargate video game has mind of collapsed after funding magically disappears after they either drop a ton of concept art or a teaser trailer for it. The closest you’re gonna get is the Stargate props pack for Gary’s Mod.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Wasn't his son one of the producers?

Yeah, Peter DeLuise. Also Jerry Goldsmith's son Joel Goldsmith did the music for SG-1 and Atlantis.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

vortmax posted:

I am still super annoyed that SGU ended the way it did. It had so much potential, and they had even written an ending for any season if they got canceled, but syfy waited until filming was done to cancel the series.

I guess they never came out of storage once Destiny crossed into the next galaxy

It was worse than that. SyFy was allegedly open to renewing the show for a third season because it was finally finding its groove, and then MGM literally ran out of money as a studio entity, so they were the ones who begged SyFy to swing the axe on it because they were on the brink of bankruptcy and if Skyfall somehow flopped or under-preformed, then MGM was going to shutter for good. At least that's the story the head of SyFy at the time who made the call told the press in order to save face when a horde of angry Stargate fans began to batter down her inbox.

I'm not entirely sure I believe that myself, because SyFy of the late 00s through mid 10s was a particular brand of both stupid and scummy, like a John Hughes movie villain made into a televion network and board of executives. They were so loving dumb that killing SGU led to there being no actual first-run space-based science fiction television shows on their science fiction television network for like 4 years, at least.

SGU is going to be me one of my big unhealing TV open wounds and if I ever gained the power to rewrite reality, one of the bullet points on my list of things to change would be to give that show a full 7 season run plus a movie finale like SG-1 got.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

That was the point when they were starting to put wrestling and ghost hunting shows because it was cheap and popular rather than scripted shows right? Not to mention didn't NBC Universal also put some high school jock bro exec in charge who was all "science fiction is bad and for weird stinky nerds who don't have sex *shotguns a beer* can we put football on this channel?". Okay that's overstating but I do remember him being pretty down on the content of the channel. It's kinda hilarious in hindsight because very, very soon that stupid nerd stuff is going to be the biggest thing on earth and make billions.

I can totally believe that MGM may have wanted SGU canceled because they were in huge financial distress at the time, I fogot why, was it they leveraged their debt against future sales of their classic movies or something?

Yeah, SyFy hard passed on multiple pitches for several Star Trek shows, a live action Star Wars TV show, and cancelled The Expanse. All of which are now making dump truck convoys of money for Paramount, Disney, and Amazon, respectively, while Universal... Well, you can watch reruns of The Office and 30 Rock on their streaming platform now, right?

gently caress me, SyFy is/was duuuuuuumbp. Yes, with a p. Because they're that loving dumb.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Was this before or during the time period where Sci-Fi/SyFy had a bunch of wrestling on?

Atlantis ran concurrent with Battlestar Galactica and ended around the same time. SG-1, BSG, and Atlantis all going off the air 1-2-3 was the start of the death spiral. Immediately after BSG ended they announced their SfFy rebrand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

vortmax posted:

This is the big ad they were running during the change from SciFi to Syfy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I34JWCY74w

At least it introduced me to Goldfrapp!

That looked like an old overly-long, overly-pretentious movie theater pre-show ad for a new car or phone. The type where you don't know what it's even selling until they reveal the product at the end.