Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

smarxist posted:

So we get 2 rings at the 50 yard line, and falls count anywhere after that, presuming they start there...

I feel like a 5v5 is too much action to try and cut around to like the Hardy/Omega vs Jericho/Sammy street fight, so I don't think they're going to go all over the joint and mostly stay confined to the ring and adjacent stadium areas, but who knoooows.

my prediction game booking is someone is taking sammy to the cross bar of the goalpost on a scissor left and he's getting pitched off

Could they do splitscreen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

coconono posted:

there was a premature report that AEW had signed Cage which was immediately refuted by his wife.

The report did come from an extremely reputable source though so it's still pretty up in the air whether the refutation was a work or not.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

MorningMoon posted:

I think the fundamental difference between Stadium Stampede and WWE's cinematic matches is that SS worked and maintained realism.

Bone Zone and the rest all start with music. A fine thing, sets the tone and all, but it also immediately puts you into a "this is a staged story" mentality, you're gearing up to watch an action short film. And it maintains that, has sound effects and just has this completely different tone from a wrestling match. Meanwhile here we had proper wrestling entrances and the first chunk of the match was a wrestling match. A goofy one, but still (outside of setting) something you're used to seeing in wrestling.

It's not until Hangman Adam Page shows up in a horse that things start being cinematic, but still firmly grounded within kayfabe realism. The edited in crowd noises fuel that, and shows once again that the obvious choice is often the best one. But anyway, as the match continues, we get hyped up over wrestling spots. The Buckshot Lariat, Matt pulling off a counter and sealing someone in an ice machine. The Young Bucks supplexing Sammy a hundred feet and diving from the stands on to Jericho who's on a table. Everything is still wrestling, and it's presented as such, so the zanier, multiple take moments don't break the immersion since they're not the climaxes of the scene.

If Matt summoned all versions of himself to kick P and P's asses, or NEO 1 shot a laser at Sammy, or the horse took out Sammy, or the Jaguar ate Jericho's face, etc., then this would've been for naught because something that isn't wrestling would've been what won the scenes. They made sure that the zany spots elevated the wrestling presented, climaxing it all right with a Super One Winged Angel, the right way to end this.

I just ran around in circles but yeah, this cinematic match owned so hard because they still used what makes wrestling fun instead of simply recording an action/comedy film.

The thing that made this work for me where MITB absolutely did not was every segment made sense, it wasn't just a stupid cameo where someone busts into a room and a wrestler says their catchphrase.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

DangerDummy! posted:

Awesome.

Since someone mentioned Jack Evans and Angelico a little earlier, I figured I'd ask this here: watching back on LU a bit lately has me wondering why Angelico isn't a bigger deal. He's got a great physique, he's gorgeous, he's tall, he's athletic, and he's not a great wrestler, but I've seen people do a lot more with a lot less. Can he not put two words together? Is he a massive flake? Seems like a lot of wasted potential there.

The thing about Angelico that I've learned since Lucha Underground is that that *really* wasn't his normal style of wrestling. I do think a focused program would do wonders for him though as I still love that leg-based technical style.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Since they've all been tested as recently as Saturday I don't really see the problem with it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Listening to the media scrum Mox made some comment about how he could wrestle Brodie Lee in his sleep but both of them knew they had to turn it up to make it a PPV worthy match. I think they're cognizant that $50 is a lot to ask for a PPV so they have to make it worth it.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I've been pretty happy with what I've bought from them (too much).

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I'd love if they just went full Lucha Underground with the second show.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Shard posted:

They just need to jazz up the main plate. It's so boring as is.

It was apparently supposed to have a globe behind the TNT logo, but they didn't want that.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

rantmo posted:

Is there anyone in AEW worth caring about who is not a colossal dork?

Is Fenix a dork?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

SHVPS4DETH posted:

the letters in the circle is literally the brand logo that's in the corner of the screen for every ep of dynamite :psyduck:

Yeah and it looks terrible on a belt.