Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

If Fenix hurt anything on that fall I think it's his elbow or arm. He came straight down onto to that and his hips.

Cassidy also tried to take his feet off with the barricade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I caught up on tonight's episode all the way through and why did everyone try and kill themselves tonight?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Oh, my other comment about tonight is that the ending would of been a lot stronger if JR had shut up. I don't need him explaining the symbolism in the very intentional camera shot.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Hangman rides out on a balloon horse, refuses to acknowledge it is a balloon.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

It might just be Matt Hardy but I get the feeling that's gonna be a cinematic match. I think that would be a mistake because WWE has really run them into the ground. While WWE is late to the game on them there's gonna be a ton of people comparing any cinematic matches at the moment to WWE and I think it would be for the best for AEW to do as a straight up match.

But there's no indication that they aren't except me making assumptions because of Hardy's involvement and the odd setting.

Or AEW just makes a good one because they have way more of the talent required to pull it off. Half of the people in that match have been writing and shooting their own stuff for years.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Zombie Lemur posted:

I don't think having ex WWE guys should carry the same stigma it did in late era WCW or TNA.

Mainly because WWE has been basically the only game in town for the better part of two decades. Not only that, but they've hoovered up all the talent that they could get their hands on just to keep other people from using them. When something is that ubiquitous, lots of people are going to pass through. That's just the nature of things.

It's like an expansion team in a sports league. You have an expansion draft and you pick up players that maybe didn't fit where they were and you can do more with them. That gives you a base to start from while you develop your younger talent.

You just can't neglect the latter half.

The big divide for me is if they left WWE or if they got fired. The people who leave obviously have something to prove and probably don't like the WWE style and don't want to wrestle it. So you can take all that and make them into something more than ex-wwe guy.

It's guys like Aron Rex who get dropped by WWE that can't seem to lose that stink and often it turns out that actually we were wrong about their ceiling and they should of stayed comedy jobbers.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Tyson still sucks but yeah, I do agree that most people either see him as a goofy guy or just a bit of a punchline. He's done a good job rehabbing his image even if he still sucks.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Oh yeah, him being a joke or a punchline isn't a defense. Just a fact that indicates I don't think AEW will see any backlash. But I hate it and don't honestly think Tyson is better but I also don't want to get into that because I'm utterly exhausted of politics. But he sucks.

And wrestling pulling in celebrities just never works. Maybe aew will figure it out but this one feels harder to do right than some of the other impossible stuff they figured out how to do.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

If Mike Tyson shoot bites off Jake's ear to finish the Brandi storyline I'll delete everything I said about him.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I wouldn't actually want that. I also don't think it will happen. If any of them are smart enough to know it's a bad idea it would probably be Brandi. She comes off as the one who gets this poo poo. It's also the big reason I've been giving the entire story the benefit of the doubt.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I officially ordered DoN. gently caress Boomer guilt trips about "fiscal responsibility", LET'S loving GO

:daryl::daryl::daryl::daryl::daryl:

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 03:41 on May 23, 2020

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

At first I was confused by OC's voice. And then I realized it's because he's not doing "a wrestler voice" because he's very lazy.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, Joey isn't the worst replacement. What we lose in sick flips we gain in sick bumps.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

take the moon posted:

i should get home from work like just in time to post & chat and gently caress anything else i was gonna do lol

Take the moon

With us this Saturday night at double or nothing.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, I think it's not just that Hager has lovely opinions, because even in this age people can excuse a lot, but that his previous gimmick was more or less "open racist". Just a big embrace of what a awful dude he is. Makes it hard to make excuses for him when he's just upfront about it.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

Jake Hager played his role in the bar brawl which was the best part of the best match, I’ll give him that and that only

His work with the inner circle as a group has been some of his better work and that's because he's intentionally very limited in it. I'm cool with him never doing another singles match again.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I'd just turn them together. A big part of what makes the inner circle work is that they like each other and get along even though they're incredibly lovely people. Taking that away, even to break them up, seems like a mistake.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Grem posted:

I don't have cable and don't stream much, either so I haven't been able to follow AEW week to week, who was the woman shouting crazy poo poo all night long? She yelled at Archer, I think, threatening him? And was super aggressive to Nyla.

I like her.

Big Swole

I also like her.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I'm not cheering for a face nazi. Its just not happening.

I also really don't think Jericho should be face any time soon. He's too good as a heel and there's too much uncharted territory for his character. But that's different.

I mean yeah, I really can't say what to do with Hager because the only real answer is "fire him. Into the sun" but that's not happening. As I'm fantasy booking I guess his face gimmick when they all turn is that he sits at home, no one sends him a paycheck, and he's never on TV.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Brian Cage is who EC3 thinks he is.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, anyone wishing for that has a cartoon version in their head. The actual mechanics of that would be way too dumb to do any sort of good bump and we would probably all be horrified at how close Sammy came to dying.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Yeah, and all the ways Sammy died were so good I don't feel like we missed our with no horse spot. The dude got northern lights suplexed for 85 yards after penalty.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

BTE has really gotten me to care about Brandon Cutler, a thing I never expected.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I think they can absolutely do the party safely. If it's all the same folks who've been working stuff and being tested and they've kept away from anyone else they're fine. I do think it's a bit silly to invest those resources into making sure you can have a memorial day PPV wrap party but Tony's a billionaire and that's the world we live in. Worse poo poo he could be using that money for.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

He's learned that social media is just for posting thirst traps and generally keeps quiet these days. At least seems to understand how dumb he is.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

ZSJ is the thinking person's Will Ospreay in every possible way.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

I would not believe you if you told me a year or two ago that the promotion Cody, The Bucks, and Omega created is full of beef.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

That's absolutely Cejudo, you can't feel how uncool everyone next to him suddenly is?

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

coconono posted:

At first I thought it was Karl Fredericks which made no sense whatsoever. But yeah, that definitely a freshly retired Henry Cejudo.

If you had said Adam Cole I'd understand but Fredericks is a lot taller.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

One of my favorite touches in AEW is Kip and Penelope being each others manager/valet. Sometimes you see valets also wrestle but I feel like you never see a case where the couple are both wrestlers and interfere for each other.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

coconono posted:

Meanwhile Swole still punching out of her weightclass

https://twitter.com/SwoleWorld/status/1265656266128588801

No, no. They're absolutely the same weightclass. BIG SWOLE

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Nice of Lance to queue that meme up for swole.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Get the best trash talkers and make the 2nd show just a MST3K style rebroadcast of Dynamite that week. Obviously swole is the star.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

smarxist posted:

can i just say how much i love Lance using the villainous "Muhaha"

you can just tell the guy is a big sweetie IRL lmao

I saw him at the last NJPW show in Boston and got to talk to him for a second at his table and he was super sweet. His match stands out to me because it was just him destroying a young boy for a few minutes and he'd be this big giant monster but he would occasionally break and you could tell he was just having the time of his life.

edit: It's on world! FIGHTING SPIRIT UNLEASHED Lowell MA, 2019. Worth it to watch Ren Narita try to kill himself with the bumps he takes. Ren is very good as a young lion at making dudes look incredible.

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 27, 2020

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

The TNT champion should win you cameos on TNT shows. Something really dumb and goofy that explains why the channel sponsored a title.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lamuella posted:

Going to be honest, very few wrestling belts look all that good. Usually we're just used to them. I think it looks fine, where my standard for "fine" is "not embarrassing"

Yeah. I think it looks a bit out of place in AEW because it's a corporate slickness that they've kind of avoided. Kinda, they flip back and forth between big corporation and plucky DIY underdogs in their presentation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

digitally insert the champ into the lovely movie that plays as the intro to dynamite

REMAKE THE LIBRARIAN STARING PETER AVALON