Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Show was okay, but didn't gel that well. A bunch of really good parts with almost as many lame ones (specially Fenix and Britt potentially being out)

I'm probably definitely getting the PPV, but i'm gonna wait for comments on Britt's situation. Hopefully Fenix reaffirms he's good, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Chris James 2 posted:

:shrug: the site got the Revival's last proposed gimmick from WWE completely correct right down to the picture, even when this subforum swore there was no way that could be true, even after both members of the team repeatedly confirmed (including on the podcast of the ex-world champ of this company) it was true

Plus things can change. Maybe Fenix looked like he'd recover when they checked in the morning and then his hip got worse by the afternoon.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

rip to the one goon who predicted this and said they wouldn't like it

https://twitter.com/AEWrestling/status/1263997611230605313

I agree with the notion that it should be the opener or something. I'm sure they can pull off a nice match, but it definitely feels like something that could've been done on tv or even Dark.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Ganso Bomb posted:

Get a VPN, connect to the UK, download FITE, pay $20.

If you have a Firestick you can use the Nord or ExpressVPN apps (and many others I'm sure, these are just the two I've used) right on the stick so you don't have to do any weird router setup.

Oh snap, didn't know this was an option. I got a rokutv, so I'll have to do the weird router setup, but having my laptop back for posting will surely make me dynamite poster of the week!
welp, can't do it with my router. I guess I can try setting my laptop as a hotspot...

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 23, 2020

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think the fundamental difference between Stadium Stampede and WWE's cinematic matches is that SS worked and maintained realism.

Bone Zone and the rest all start with music. A fine thing, sets the tone and all, but it also immediately puts you into a "this is a staged story" mentality, you're gearing up to watch an action short film. And it maintains that, has sound effects and just has this completely different tone from a wrestling match. Meanwhile here we had proper wrestling entrances and the first chunk of the match was a wrestling match. A goofy one, but still (outside of setting) something you're used to seeing in wrestling.

It's not until Hangman Adam Page shows up in a horse that things start being cinematic, but still firmly grounded within kayfabe realism. The edited in crowd noises fuel that, and shows once again that the obvious choice is often the best one. But anyway, as the match continues, we get hyped up over wrestling spots. The Buckshot Lariat, Matt pulling off a counter and sealing someone in an ice machine. The Young Bucks supplexing Sammy a hundred feet and diving from the stands on to Jericho who's on a table. Everything is still wrestling, and it's presented as such, so the zanier, multiple take moments don't break the immersion since they're not the climaxes of the scene.

If Matt summoned all versions of himself to kick P and P's asses, or NEO 1 shot a laser at Sammy, or the horse took out Sammy, or the Jaguar ate Jericho's face, etc., then this would've been for naught because something that isn't wrestling would've been what won the scenes. They made sure that the zany spots elevated the wrestling presented, climaxing it all right with a Super One Winged Angel, the right way to end this.

I just ran around in circles but yeah, this cinematic match owned so hard because they still used what makes wrestling fun instead of simply recording an action/comedy film.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I was expecting Brodie to win but now, I want to know what Brodie does to punish those who have failed him (what does Vince do when someone fails him?)

TEN is gonna bring a pooper scooper this wednesday

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

punchdaily posted:

I think it's no small thing that the father of the cinematic match was in his match. The original Final Deletion was still fairly grounded in the basic language of wrestling, even if it pushed it in a different direction than it usually goes.

Very true. Man, obviously Vince doesn't have the foresight to kick himself for his bad decisions, but I bet someone at WWE is frustrated as gently caress that they let Matt go like two weeks before the empty arena shows started, and due to not letting him have the creative control that they would've liked right now lmao.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Lid posted:

wait does that mean that EVO is still happening?

Yes. It's all online play. Most games in the card (the ones that had the least lovely netcode) are just gonna be exhibitions while there's 4 real tournaments: MK11, Killer Instinct, Them's Fightin' Herds and SKULLGIRLS.

This is irrelevant, however, as Fyter Fest happened alongside CEO.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Lid posted:

wait i thought EVO dropped MK11 and it was a huge deal

Yup, but there was a slight adjustment in plans due to the corona. They announced how EVO would work this year earlier this week, and MK11 has the netcode to actually support an online tournament without becoming a laggy mess, so it's back in as a full tournament.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Can we get a "mox calls seth and laughs" comic but it's the whole Lucha Underground cast at AEW calling Ricochet and Morrison?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think the IC should stay as heels and together for a long while. It might've been empty words, but Jericho was being extremely supportive about Hager's title shot, like the most ego-centric thing he had to say about was somethign like "if someone in the inner circle is a champion, we all are!". That could totally be empty words and Jericho gets jealous of Hager had he won, but he did support Hager and hurt Moxley a few times before it happened, so I really doubt Sammy or PnP getting belts would cause the IC to fall apart.

The fallout from the Stampede defeat might shake the IC, but I'm hoping it just means they're going to terrorize a different part of AEW, like maybe "hunt" the Rhodes (PnP vs Dustin and QT, and get Sammy on the title picture for the TNT belt)

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

when I eat like this people call me disgusting but when Shida does it all of a sudden it's cute and wholesome

It's okay if you're eating next to a title belt

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

take the moon posted:

whoa Matanzas was Jeff Cobb???

lol

Lu was good

I'm still waiting for Cobb to come back, Jericho's about to stick him to Cody or whatever and Cobb kicks him in the nuts and demands a fight to reclaim the Aztec Gold from Hagger so that the demigod may return to his mortal vessel.

JR "the hell is happening?!"
Excalibur "Just LA stuff"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Blaise330 posted:

Most cartoony idea I heard was the horse dragging a lassoed Sammy. I'm sure he'll enjoy whatever joint is wrapped up being ripped out of socket as the rope continues to tighten and cut off circulation while his flesh is being dragged against the ground.

I mean, it is Sammy, so probably. But your point still stands.

I was definitely hoping for some cool cartoon horse stunt in the moment, but Hangman Roronoa Zoro was good, too.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

WHERE'D HE GO?! :stare:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Hiram posted:

Honestly Miz is a lot better than people give him credit for. I've always thought he was at least decent in the ring and fantastic on the mic. Plus I'll always love him because of that time he beat John Cena at Wrestlemania and CSammich toxxed himself into changing his name to "Hirams Bitch".

I'm a man of sentiment, y'know?

But my point is I definitely agree. I'd honestly like to see him there.

Miz is definitely one of the guys I respect because he's collecting a paycheck, but if he feels like it, he can go. But it's almost never worth it to actually go, why should he? It'd be nice to see him have a run somewhere where giving a poo poo leads to stuff, tho. But gently caress him for not catching people.

This BTE is so loving good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I hope Big Game Leroy makes it to AEW. Or at least more BTE.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Oh my god. I thought it was a mouth guard or something.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

The option to vecome australian and pay 20 also puts it perfectly in range for me to do 4 or 5 a year. Specially after Revolution's tag match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Gumball Gumption posted:

The TNT champion should win you cameos on TNT shows. Something really dumb and goofy that explains why the channel sponsored a title.
Hangman lariats the snowpiercer