Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Sagebrush posted:

I listen to run.umx regularly.

:thunk:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I had a roommate in 2006 who would run two laptops and two characters at a time in ffxi. it was apparently hard to find full groups for some content so he would do two chars a time to help fill out. he would also idle in game literally 24/7 because people chose groups based on how long you were logged in? play time? the meta for that game was fuuuucked

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

oh no blimp issue posted:

11 is one of those games i want to enjoy, but the game is just so clunky it takes so much effort to play
and i have a lot of patience for clunky ui and game design, to which my hundreds of hours of OG dwarf fortress can attest

it took me hours and multiple youtube tutorials just to make a loving account and log in. it took several more to download and install and adjust third party tools to make the game usable. you can even get mods that approximate xiv hotbars!

i kept bg-wiki open constantly for every quest step because there are little to no instructions or pointers in game.

Fart Sandwiches posted:

I had a roommate in 2006 who would run two laptops and two characters at a time in ffxi. it was apparently hard to find full groups for some content so he would do two chars a time to help fill out. he would also idle in game literally 24/7 because people chose groups based on how long you were logged in? play time? the meta for that game was fuuuucked

it still is lol. plus multiboxing and having a healbot is common (expected???) for high level stuff. but I only played for the story stuff, I had no interest in the ridiculous grind for end game content. it's chilled out a bit from the peak content, but the expectations are still vastly different from FFXIV.

it's a weird game. it's very much of its time, but also not? it's so clunky. everything is so loving spread out. they've made it much much easier and faster to solo your way through story content, but it's still tedious as poo poo and doesn't respect your time at all. i'm glad i did it, but i don't recommend it!

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

all i remember of ffxi is crabs on that loving beach

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

KidDynamite posted:

that and a lot of loving About to make the online work because my brothers & i didn't get the concept of a "router" yet. kept trying to get us both online at the same time with a hub because it was cheap and looked like it would do the thing lol

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

valkurm beach with the crabs and the giant mosquitos is where you spent a majority of your time and you got to do it twice at minimum! since you needed to level the subjob

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Wo Long is basically "what if Nioh, but instead of having to ki pulse all the goddamn time we took inspiration from Sekiro and got rid of the goddamn stamina bar" and I am all the hell in for this

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

it was starting to drive me batty trying to guess what kind of wo it was due to a lot of people playing it, since the long was obviously going to be 龍 for dragon

i finally looked it up and it's 臥 (squatting, crouching) and not 我 (i, me). arguably the latter would be much funnier, so i will believe that instead

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Gnossiennes posted:

it took me hours and multiple youtube tutorials just to make a loving account and log in. it took several more to download and install and adjust third party tools to make the game usable. you can even get mods that approximate xiv hotbars!

i kept bg-wiki open constantly for every quest step because there are little to no instructions or pointers in game.

it still is lol. plus multiboxing and having a healbot is common (expected???) for high level stuff. but I only played for the story stuff, I had no interest in the ridiculous grind for end game content. it's chilled out a bit from the peak content, but the expectations are still vastly different from FFXIV.

it's a weird game. it's very much of its time, but also not? it's so clunky. everything is so loving spread out. they've made it much much easier and faster to solo your way through story content, but it's still tedious as poo poo and doesn't respect your time at all. i'm glad i did it, but i don't recommend it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6mxRUKehtE
on the other hand, PlayOnline is the most early 2000s vision of the internet thing ever and i love it

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

ah man that song, i'd forgot about it. real nice

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

WoW could never

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

that playonline song is so good. :discourse:

FFXI has some really, really, really bangin music. probably my favorite was this kinda chill piece: https://youtu.be/zZ8fpfSgAaM

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

dioxazine posted:

it was starting to drive me batty trying to guess what kind of wo it was due to a lot of people playing it, since the long was obviously going to be 龍 for dragon

i finally looked it up and it's 臥 (squatting, crouching) and not 我 (i, me). arguably the latter would be much funnier, so i will believe that instead
i keep wanting to call the game wu long for some reason

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

orchestra pieces kick so much rear end in video games, they should bring them back

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Gnossiennes posted:

FFXI has some really, really, really bangin music. probably my favorite was this kinda chill piece: https://youtu.be/zZ8fpfSgAaM

i like this one from IX alot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LcE0vE4bes

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrFhD87di0I

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Ciaphas posted:

gosh ciaphas, how come the kitchen god lets you have five dragons?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

hang on opening a translator so i get the joke

(e) nope that was useless lol

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 3, 2023

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

from context it sounds like one of the synonyms of wu (pace tone, probably) is five

e: yes, confirmed https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=chinese+for+five

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

goddammit chinese puns are the best. makes me mad that i dont speak it. not mad enough to, like, learn a new language but i mean

gently caress i dont even care about speaking it tbh. reading it is enough, that's how most of the puns work anyway

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jtiw721RAg

hell yes

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

been playing ff9 the past couple days, so :yossame:

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

its pretty ok for a jrpg

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Gnossiennes posted:

been playing ff9 the past couple days, so :yossame:

9 is such a great little jrpg, it has a fairly generic story but the world is so good.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

orchestra pieces kick so much rear end in video games, they should bring them back
reminds me that the entire soundtrack of arcanum was chamber music. very unique mood

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

AnimeIsTrash posted:

9 is such a great little jrpg, it has a fairly generic story but the world is so good.

The chocobo digging mini game sucks rear end

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

The skill/spell system is pretty good though

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ff7's materia system made me feel like the master of my own destiny

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

ff7's materia system made me feel like the master of my own destiny
i'm finally getting around to ff7 remake and it's just such a solid system

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

timestamped

va/mocap actor that plays cal talking about working with the puppeteer for bd-1 very :3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYdYrtRcZks&t=451s

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

guilty gear strive nerfed the poo poo out of my black samurai vampire :(

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

ff9 update: kuja :eyepop:

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
got access to the dev build of datajack 2 I'm psyched as hell

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

KidDynamite posted:

have you tired using the dolphin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEiuRdCZ8UA

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

RokosCockatrice posted:

got access to the dev build of datajack 2 I'm psyched as hell
niiice. that game looks cool

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

PokeJoe posted:

The chocobo digging mini game sucks rear end

i got really good at it and dug for many hours. there's some pretty great loot in that little cave

Gnossiennes posted:

ff9 update: kuja :eyepop:

i hate that motherfucker

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

KidDynamite posted:

what the gently caress, what the absolute gently caress
absolutely incensed

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

:c00l:

https://i.imgur.com/LwNNAF7.mp4

this game fuckin kicks rear end. gives me all the good vibes i got from sekiro

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 4, 2023

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

just think "wololo"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Roosevelt posted:

just think "wololo"
lol