Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i am playing control again and it is good, again

thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Action Jacktion posted:

originally Control was called Comptrol and it was about accounting but then someone misspelled it in an ad and they quickly had to throw together a new game.

sounds like they were able to reuse the office level lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sagebrush posted:

god i hate those fuckers

don't get me wrong, i figured out how to kill them, but the game explicitly trains you to always either be bouncing around keeping your distance OR right up in the monster's face and then oh by the way here's a guy who is invulnerable and will instantly murder you unless you're between 10 and 10.5 meters away, also even then you can only hit him for 0.2 seconds every 5. bullshit

they go down pretty quick if you prioritize them when they show up and stagger with the super shotgun

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Kuvo posted:

i found the actual shooting gameplay in control mediocre but the setting was real cool

picked up house of the dying sun the other day and it is a short but fun tie-fighter like game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56fCuO7JEy4

the shooting got easier to deal with when i figured out all i really wanted was to use the shotgun and just crank it up with weapon damage mods

that plus so much extra health i think i'm triple the base and it lets me get through it and get back to exploring the cool buildings

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Uptime Sinclair posted:

yeah just give it a little bit longer. the sewers suck and you don’t have any good loadout options yet

i am still playing control but haven’t gotten levitation yet. i am to understand things truly pop off once I have

yeah it gives you way more options for approaching combat

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

should i buy Control for $18? it's on sale atm

assuming pc, yes. i think the only console it even runs close to well on is the xbox 1 x

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Uptime Sinclair posted:

i think i’m almost finished control. don’t feel good about this doctor darling character at all

he has a dynamite finish

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Uptime Sinclair posted:

lol oh yeah

i also loved the music video

it was the most surreal poo poo it was great

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

the outer wilds and the outer worlds coming out in the same year is breaking my brain

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

it's a quality game, don't let the usual parade of "well actually it's bad" discourage you from giving it a shot

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

apparently the real killer rtx feature in control is the "deep learning super sampling" (lol) that'll make a 1440p game look pretty goddamn close to 4k

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

mirror's edge did it well imo but only by getting rid of basically everything else mechanically

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

looks like it captures the feeling of that garry's mod gamemode "death run" pretty well

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

im playing Horizon Zero Dawn now on ps4

its pretty loving cool

its no breath of the wild though :smug:

correct, it actually has a story

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Uptime Sinclair posted:

control is v. good

i'm enjoying awe so far

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

the epic games store is the worst web developer garbage app i've ever used and that's saying something

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m Finnish and I have a full head of hair and am almost never surrounded by rockers :colbert:

more like finished

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sagebrush posted:

how much is the most expensive xbox gonna be again? bc i understand that both of the new consoles have essentially a ryzen 3700 and a 5700xt gpu inside, which is a moderately high-end gaming pc if you were to buy those parts right now but not the top of the line by any means.

$499

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

NoneMoreNegative posted:

<CONTROL> Hey MOLD-1 how about you

ffffuuucckkk ooofffff

Christ I'm too old for this bullshit. I thought Daimon the end-boss at Bitterblack Isle chafed my balls but he was a pussycat compared to this giant dipshit half life tentacle on steroids.

my first time through i had the same goddamn issue, but my second playthrough I essentially cheesed it by applying only extra health personal mods and extra damage weapon mods to shatter. had both at about 300% or so. thing went down in about three rounds of shooting/recharging

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol I have a level III 'Charge' missile launcher gun now in CONTROL and with a 50%+ damage mod and two 60% blast radius mods attached it makes 90% of bad guys trivial, no worrying about joypad accuracy now you can lob a missile somewhere in the vicinity and score kills every time. OK you only get three shots before ducking for cover or hurling a rock with your psi-powers, but it's rare you need any more than that :o:

Reading online everyone else is big on the Shatter shotgun or Pierce railgun weapons, I'm just here totally wrecking the fabulous architecture and decor with wanton destruction :cool:

my first playthrough i used spin of all things lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Weedle posted:

dark souls has spoiled me on action rpg combat. i tried to go back to the witcher 3 and also start ys 8 and they both felt like absolute garbage in comparison

every game should be as hard as dark souls

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

if you ever die in a single player game you are a failure and a child

i don't make the rules

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

single player games are good

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Shaggar posted:

outer worlds sucked

trying to get into it on game pass, is there supposed to be a massive difficulty spike about 4 main story missions in?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

then why did it drop me into an area where everything is 10 levels higher than me

e: i keep spending my entire ammo reserves trying to kill one of the things in the area around the base, there are like 10 of them

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Combat-oriented adventure computer video games should all have Nahlakh-style difficulty.

agreed, games should have punishing difficulty and should be reserved only for those who can afford to plow hours upon hours into them in order to find any enjoyment at all

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

a game is introduced that kills the player as soon as the game starts. it wins every goty award

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Salt Fish posted:

Outer Worlds is painfully mediocre. It's one of those games that's somehow worse than a bad game because you can see the potential and what the devs were going for. I had 5 hours of fun messing around with it but don't get your hopes up.

yeah i just lost interest after about that long too

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Jonny 290 posted:

theyre like three dollars apiece (maybe ten mooskröner or fjordcrowns or whatever your currency is called)

suomidöllaäri

carry on then fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Oct 24, 2020

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

nowadays it's like a good 25% chance someone trying to schedule a release day off is a hobby streamer trying to get in on that sweet sweet viewership spike

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

oh no, the computer programmer doesn’t like the flight simulator game that wasn’t made expressly for them alone.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

psiox posted:

the finnish character is adorable and weird, definitely one of my favorite characters in the game

hmm. perkele.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Control and Hades own

bonne chance, gamers

control is so good

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

haveblue posted:

the AWE dlc tries to pull a switcheroo and retroactively make control part of the alan wake story instead of the other way around, which is lame

the other dlc in the package is really good though

both dlcs felt just a little disappointing...i want to finish cleaning up the bureau

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Sagebrush posted:

i like how their internal placeholder name for the new dlc was "alan wake expansion" and they couldn't come up with a better name so they just backronymed it into "altered world event"

they used that term tons of times throughout the base game so no

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Target Track Jacket posted:

This loving guy beat the first level of Hitman 3 in eight goddam seconds holy poo poo :stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEliaGsurG0

tasbot is good at many games

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

is it just me or is that a big head

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

control has one of the dumbest save systems i've ever seen

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

bob dobbs is dead posted:

my old buddy from undergrad is trying to get me to play league of legends w her boyfriend cuz he has nobody to play with

i recall that this was a stupid rear end idea c. release because the player base were all little pieces of poo poo. has this materially changed in any way

it's a game of 45 minute matches that can be lost in the first 5 minutes if everyone isn't doing exactly the right thing, what do you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

just started playing divinity 2, and got suckered into a higher difficulty by people online saying that the standard difficulty was pretty easy. immediately struggling i read a bit more, and found that the higher difficulty are easy *if* you correctly pick one of the approved and correct munchkin builds, rather than just picking stuff what seems cool and thematic the way i did.

your error was trying to enjoy a game instead of mathematically solve it