Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

I have an itch for a city building tower defense game. what exists in this crossover genre?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

finally read through all the big steam deck reviews and I guess I'm glad my res is for Q2. still not sure I would follow through with it. when I made the res I was hoping I'd have a new job by now and a little more discretionary spending fliff. but I don't and the markets are awful so my natural impulse is to not spend on a new gadget I don't really need

I'm probably in the right niche for it as I don't have a decent desktop pc, pc laptop or a Nintendo switch. I also have a decent (600+ title) steam library, and big dumb hands that would probably fit well with the form factor/controls. but beta testing hundreds of dollary doos worth of new hardware/software and fussing with settings just to have a 7" 1280x800 ips screen with games mostly not optimized for readability doesn't seem wise. leaving aside the thing's fan noise which seems rough

despite having "just" 1080p tv for now I think I'll instead try to score a digital edition ps5 (w/o scalper tax) to upgrade from my ps4 slim instead. big ups to vintersorg for being a good canadian friendo and helping me get on the right discord channels to do so (hopefully before the sd res comes up)

in the meantime disco elysium on my m1 mba is extremely needs suiting. what a great game

I wanna love the steam deck, but after seeing one in person, the formfactor is a show stopper for me. It's big enough that I'd need a backpack or bag to carry it, and it comes in at 1.47lbs, well beyond the already-too-heavy-for-comfort 1.01lbs and 1.37lbs of my gpd win 2 and onegx1 pro respectively.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

ryzen desktop mobo bit the dust, so I decided to lash a jet engine to a lawn mower with some twine

rx5700xt in a tb3 enclosure hanging off an i7-1160G7 handheld (onegx1 pro) running linux for maximum jamesing self loathing

ngl, I'm kinda impressed how well it works

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

portables really stopped being portable some time ago. even the ds pushed the limit on pocketability

I want a modern gba sp, with the modern "standard" controls (think xbox/ps), maybe using low profile analog sticks to keep it in a clamshell

I can dream, right?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

i suspect it's because some games do a higher resolution docked, which then ends up causing lowered performance directly or contributing to overheating (which then causes lowered performance).

arguably all games have at least slightly more overhead when docked than handheld -- even if the game is internally rendered at 720p it gets scaled to 1080p before going out hdmi

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

MrQueasy posted:

lol at them continuing the "PS3 (Via Streaming)" that has never yet worked satisfactorily for me.

truth. gigabit wired connection with rock solid 2ms ping out to the first network that wasn't my isp. still totally unplayable.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i want a modern gta i/ii -- 3d top down comedy gorefest

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

use the standard steam demo.

14 days or 2 hours of gameplay

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

$300 jeans are nice tho

truth. i wore one pair of $300 jeans almost daily for five years, and only had to stop because i got too fat

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i gotta go with oni -- how can you pass on a bullshit story about a one man loom operation?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

if nobody else is gonna acknowledge the page number, i guess i will

basement is a pretty fun game

:420:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Kuvo posted:

also unannounced mystery marriage to the town blacksmith

i always marry then divorce emily out of the gate just to keep clint from ever experiencing happiness

oh, wrong james, wrong blacksmith

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-m-0RlqMHM

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I've gotta say I like the Steam sale because you can always find good games for under $20 but invariably whatever I get pops up for free on Epic in a month.

but then you have to run the epic launcher

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Is there a good wireless headset for the PS5 under 100€? Swiss flag if it'll also work on Xbox Series X, Windows 10, and any earlier consoles, but it'll mainly be for PS5 anyway.

P.s. my head is big (62).

E: I have a Razer? (The one whose logo is like three uhh sperms forming the Mitsibishi logo) headset that cost 79€ and it's fine but I'm starting to hate the wire because it's so long.

Ee: also big ears. Like old man ears.

i'm a huge fan of the steel series arctis 7 and thought it was about 100usd when i bought it, but it looks to be 170 now. they have a steel series 1 now at your pricepoint, and i suspect it would be decent, but haven't tried it personally.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

akadajet posted:

sick as in "not well"

nice save

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

echinopsis posted:

we don't sign our posts around here

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jonny 290 posted:

c monday s

sir, this is a james thread.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

goonswarm is currently burning itself down due to mishandled sexual harassment and the people in charge refusing to address their fuckups lol

honestly surprised it's taken this long

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

you just described my entire rimworld experience

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

polyester concept posted:

playing rimworld gives you the perpetual feeling of “oh man if i can only get x sorted out, it’s gonna be smooth sailing from now on” but you never truly get it all sorted out. there’s always something you’re trying to recover from. sometimes there are brief moments of bliss when it's all running smoothly, and I guess that's why it's so addictive. always chasing that high

my life is rimworld

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i hate this thread. tricked me into playing on the easiest setting. spent about four hours chillin and base buildin when a mad donkey tears through and incapacitates all three of my fighters in one go, leaving me with a pair of pacifists and a still mad donkey.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

dioxazine posted:

fairly unimpressive fighters, huh

yeah, i was kinda dumb thinking i could play on the easiest chillax setting with a starting colony of two pacifists and one mediocre fighter. managed to recruit a couple more mediocre violence capable colonists before the rear end incident.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

MrQueasy posted:

It could be worse, you could have dropped into hyperfocus and stayed up until 4am playing Super Auto Pets.

...that was wed night. I'm not a fan of this week's pet pack.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

The frustrating thing about the 8bitdo controllers is they have a wide variety of features but not all of the features are accessible in any one emulation mode -- the gyro isn't available in the Xbox emulation, the analog triggers are purely binary in the Switch emulation, the Android mode (normal USB HID DirectInput) limits basically everything and I've never gotten the macOS mode (some kind of half-assed DualShock 4 emulation) to work at all

i have a pro+ and really wish it had a generic gamepad mode of it's own instead of insisting on emulating other devices. also for some reason the triggers on the pro+ come off way too easily. i usually find one in the bottom of my bag if i'm traveling with the thing.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

MrQueasy posted:

Not enough steam deck production. Try again next year.

amd deck

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

The Fool posted:

Would the steam deck owners in this thread mind giving opinions on it after owning it for a few months?

I've been trying to decide between picking one up or building a new gaming desktop.

those are entirely different things. get the gaming desktop if you want to game. get the steam deck if you want an oversized novel handheld gaming device.

i can't speak for the steam deck itself, but i've gone through many handheld gaming pcs in the space (owned onegx1 pro, all the gpd win variants, had an aya neo on loan for a month). they all run hot and are bulky as gently caress so you don't want to break them out on the train, etc. the steam deck doesn't look to have solved any of that.

my best experience in that realm was with a onegx1 pro, as i could use thunderbolt to attach an egpu for a decent desktop gaming experience. pretty much any of the intel based devices have tb, but almost none of the amd ones like steam deck.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

the apu's specs aren't even anything special compared with amd's current gen mobile chips anyway. you get 4 zen2 cores and 8 rdna2 cores on the steam dick (thank you ornamental dingbat), while ryzen 6000 mobile chips have 6-8 zen3+ cores and 6-12 rdna2 cores

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i think talking about the steam dick suckage just sold me on a new laptop

https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/p/laptops/thinkbook/thinkbook-series/thinkbook-13s-gen-4-(13-inch-amd)/21as001aus

this matches or beats the specs in pretty much every dimension other than "has built in controller"

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

rimworld has started causing gnome-shell to seg fault.

gaming on linux is so fuckin rad

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

nudgenudgetilt posted:

rimworld has started causing gnome-shell to seg fault.

gaming on linux is so fuckin rad

lol. windows version runs just fine in proton tho.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

enhance

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

won't any old usb-c "dock" do the job?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Kazinsal posted:

wait for the GPD Win 4

such a nice looking device, but I really wish they'd kept the win/win2 style clamshell. you could toss it in a big with no case and not have to worry about the lovely thumbsticks getting caught on anything

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i really want a win max 2 design machine with the dimensions of a win 2

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i've avoided all mods until now, but might have to give a couple of these a shot.

can you apply a mod to an existing game, or do you have to start fresh?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i guess i should stop posting about rimworld in cjs, eh.

crafting components feels slower than strip mining for them

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

but will it have any one profile that actually supports all the features?

the whole emulate-other-controllers thing is obnoxious.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

i used my first doomsday rocket recently. completely wiped a hostile settlement off the map.

felt nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Lysidas posted:

rimworld: the number of chickens is now seriously slowing down the game. i instructed to start a caravan to take a few hundred of them to a nearby settlement to sell them, but this is taking forever due to the number of them and the chicken-induced lag

anything over 100 or so chickens starts slowing my game down