Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

SnowRunner: A Play in three Acts

"Day 23. Still trapped; down to reserve fuel. I can hear howling."

"A road! Salvation!"

"Oh no, it's a RUSSIAN road!"

~fin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

the best anti-human weapon in Death Stranding: their own cargo

https://i.imgur.com/JcCDF5o.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/0OWN7Uv.mp4

game got 3x better when i found out how much fun it is to box nerds like this

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SmokaDustbowl posted:

bitch co-op me here I can see how to get you out

i coulda winched if the engine weren't dead. i had a DAN 96320 a short way aways to tow it anyway, not much stops that thing besides aforesaid trees

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

Smoka’s Toke and Tow

lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

RustyKnight posted:

I only played mudrunner and had a blast with doing all the maps with just 1 star uaz cars and trucks scattered around the map, snowrunner looks like more of the same thing with new vehicles though, is there anything new in terms of gameplay mechanics?

i never played mudrunner but consensus seems to be snowrunner's gameplay is similar but hugely expanded. there are main and side missions (contracts & tasks) all over the place; trucks are customizable with ranks earned through upgrades and finding them on the various maps

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

c snowrunner s: if it's stupid and it works...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

oh yeah if you're in for the sim, the terrain physics're about the same as before (as i understand it) but powertrains are a complete lie with engine sounds totally out of whack, it's real weird

hell yeah it worked. pack the container on the longboy at the destination, aaand

:c00l:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

President Beep posted:

great. another game i want.

it is supremely satisfying to play - which is weird because 80% of the game consists of crawling through hopeless, endless mud-bogs at half walking pace, praying that what little grip your tires have holds out

then you get to Imandra and there is nothing but snow, stumps, rocks and suffering

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

President Beep posted:

psh i don’t have freaking xbox

gamepass is a pc thing, microsoft is bad at names. think netflix

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

RustyKnight posted:

I see it's already better because you don't have to load up the same pile of loving logs all the time, gonna get it on sale

there ARE logging missions but they're a) even more optional than everything else, and b) loving terrible grindy bullshit unless you cheat, use multiplayer, or both

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

this was a fun little half-hour project: figuring out how to get a TUZ 420 loaded & packed on a TwinSteer

needs a crane truck & a sturdy wall (in this case, a Pacific P16) to pin the twinsteer in place, and is overall a terrible top-heavy idea, but it was fun

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

c snowrunner s

"eyy, got the trailer out of the quarry without tipping it. feels good man :smug:"

5 minutes pass

"well at least i brought the crane i guess :sigh:"

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jul 25, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Roosevelt posted:

i've been trying to figure out whats going on with this game on my own now for a while without watching any trailers or reading anything about it. is it a simulator where the object is to load heavy cargo onto big trucks and drive it somewhere on really bad roads? and then refill your coffee thermos and get a new bill of lading to deliver more stuff somewhere else? like a job? or what am i missing

no, you aren't missing anything, i regularly question my own sanity

(e) i just like something about games where the terrain is the primary opponent. that's what i liked second most in death stranding (first most being Cargo Combat® as i've said)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 25, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

snowrunner is on gamepass iirc

you’d probably figure out if you love or hate it real quickly

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Doom Mathematic posted:

Outer Wilds is a very, very well-executed game, it is absolutely insane that they built a complete, highly imaginative, totally open-ended solar system and story to explore which still generates an intriguing mystery and a rewarding narrative no matter in what order you uncover the facts, a game which is kind of a Metroidvania of knowledge, where you can theoretically go anywhere and do anything and solve the puzzle immediately but you just need to learn where and how. It's crazy but also completely understandable how few other games there are like it, and I for one am (was) seriously attempting to just avoid the game for 5-10 years and forget everything I know about it so I can come back to it and discover it again. Game of the year of that year.

It is also a 100% complete, closed narrative. I do not comprehend how a missing chapter could be inserted here. It strikes me as a hazardous gambit, over creating a new game entirely. I don't know. I want it to be good. I really hope it's good. I've been waiting for the next project by these creators. If this is it, so be it.

EDIT: except I guess we don't actually know what the Eye of the Universe is. Or does, or wants. There's definitely room for more mystery there. :doh:

outer wilds stands firmly apart in my mind from other games because it tells its tale in a way that could never be told by any other existing form of media

i wish there were more games like that, but for now i'll settle for waiting with bated breath for this expansion

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jul 30, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

c snowrunner s: extreme "gently caress it, it's friday" energy
https://i.imgur.com/PEqefZx.mp4

(e) shame imgur strips the audio, it's funnier with the ambient area music imo

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

how much time & effort did that person spend on the choices of arrows, i wonder

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

picked up highfleet this morning

- been a long time since i've seen such a thorough manual
- good thing, because the dev goes all-the-gently caress-in on diegetic UI and it kinda rules, but man i'd hate it without aforesaid manual
- i get it's because of said UI but this game is locked to 1920x1080 and needs a workaround to pillarbox properly on >16:9 in TYOOL 2021 :pcgaming::sigh:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Jul 31, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

accurate depiction of highfleet

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

are the prey or dishonored 2 DLC worth it? steam has a bundle with both games, sans-DLC for twelve bucks

prey's dlc, mooncrash, is great, but not "required"; IIRC it doesn't add anything to the base game campaign at all, just the new mode

never played dishonored 2; dishonored i keep replaying, getting two or three missions in, and losing interest :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

c truckfucker s: wisconsin's pretty

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

... well, at least I don't have to do any steering???

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

PIZZA.BAT posted:

i’m waiting a year before i play it again. thinking about how i’ll run it

i always bog down fast when i try to play it, because making decisions is scary

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i wish that post was more of a joke lol

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

noita's great but IMO the Edit Wands Everywhere mod is required

a big chunk of the fun, at least to me, is from messing around with wands and spells that you acquire, but most of those acquisitions aren't going to be from the level-interstitial shops where you can always edit wands; they're around the world, where you can't do that in vanilla (without the perk the mod is named after)

the mod balances itself in a way, anyway; i've lost count of the number of times i've got my rear end shot to death because I was loving around in the menu with spellcraft and drop my wand or something clicking frantically :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/5v143I8.mp4

zoom; enhance:ovr:

lol

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 20, 2021

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

im finally playing hollow knight and its real fuckin good

this endgame super meat boy collab is a bit much tho

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

haveblue posted:

the path of pain is fully optional but there are parts of the white palace that are mandatory for certain endings

yea i meant the latter, i haven't looked at the path of pain yet. working on the pantheons atm

got the true pre-dlc ending a few days ago, and i gotta say i love me a good post-victory cinematic beatdown like that was

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

didn't know psychonauts 2 was on gamepass, that's a nice surprise

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

get level 99 before you leave the mako reactor

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

is nms cool now?

i remember the launch was pretty disastrous.

it is fundamentally still the same game, just widened to an almost absurd degree

it's ok

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

my understanding of subnautica is that it has a definite end and the main story is the main point?

and a completely fixed world, yes. no procgen to be found

story's introduced by emergency radio transmissions to your lifepod and simply Going Deeper

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i fell into the ff14 void again :rip:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

I am proud to say I have never played a MMO and I intend not to

if I want to take drugs to socialize I'll do one of the cool ones, like heroin

the moogles have cocaine

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i think Sekiro is my sole 100% of the achievement era

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

it just keeps getting worse

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

deep rock galactic has a fart gun now, a crud vapor cannon if you will, and it's great

love to melt bugs into gross piles of organic goop

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

deux maternal whips rear end but demands like 250% of my attention, which ain't easy

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

forza horizon 5's more fun than i expected a racing game to be

thanks gamepass, i'd never have bought that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i think maid dress's actually on a vendor near where you are in that screwhy do i know exactly where you are in that city

(e) no wait that's the best man/lady stuff