Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i played dark souls 1 for the first time this summer, finished it, loved it, started dark souls 2, and i’ve started and finished two more playthroughs of dark souls 1 while my ds2 guy sits around. it is not as good, imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bored Online posted:

have you played bloodborne cause if not youre in for the best one imo

i don’t have a ps4 (yet). i played a couple of yakuza games on pc earlier this year and thought they absolutely ruled so i was already thinking about getting one to play the rest of those, but now i’m definitely getting one for bloodborne, sekiro, ds3, and elden ring. bloodborne’s setting and theme sounds like the perfect complement to dark souls’ gameplay and level design so i expect it to be utterly captivating

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Uptime Sinclair posted:

in theory you could sub to psnow and play bloodborne on pc that way. i think. you’d have to double check

this has been suggested to me, but based on my experiences with stadia and geforce now i would not like to stream a fast-paced, high-stakes action game full of dark, shadowy areas, or indeed any game of any kind

Weedle
May 31, 2006

what game is this from btw

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Weedle posted:

now now. not every cop is a bad one https://www.odmp.org/

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Mad Wack posted:

remember the retired chicago cop that posted on sa that everyone fawned over for months until it came out he was a sex pest

tokaii?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

I gave dark souls remastered or whatever another shot. it's engaging, and can be rewarding, but is mostly a gigantic pain in the rear end.

is there anything in particular that’s giving you trouble

Weedle
May 31, 2006

just another time when I'm stuck on a boss that kills me in a few seconds (capra demon). I know it's supposed to be a hard encounter - the room is very small and there are two dogs as well - but stuff like that makes a lot of warts in the game stand out. You have to run along the same unnecessarily long corridors fighting the same mooks in the same way each time you want to fight the boss only to be killed in seconds without touching it because a roll went funny or you mis-timed an attack. Even leveling once or twice or getting a somewhat better gear wouldn't really help because of the magnitude of damage. It's the sort of thing where I sunk an hour into trying today and most of that was spend killing the same few mobs and walking down this one corridor. I managed to bring it down to half health one time, but then it was back to <20s, ~10s, <1 min, 5s, etc

hmm. yeah capra is the first big difficulty spike and he hosed me up a bunch of times on my first playthrough. i always kill the dogs asap so they can’t trap/pin me, then do the stair loop trick. sometimes he gets caught next to the stairs while you’re on them—if this happens, take the opportunity for a plunging attack to do insane damage

i also like to bring a shield with 100% physical damage reduction and good stability so i can block a hit from capra without getting flattened. the wolf ring from darkroot garden can help with this too. being able to survive even one big hit from him makes a huge difference

what kind of character and gear are you using, and have you upgraded your weapon and shield (if applicable) to +5?

if you’re really just fed up with the game then never mind any of this but i really love playing and talking about dark souls and i want to help other people find the same joy in it that i do. i think it is a very special game

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I think I'm level 27 and playing a knight.

you guys are absolutely right about the general strat - I need to just dodge the initial murder swipes, go up the stairs, kill the dogs when they follow me, and then just not suck and kill the demon. that's what I did when I got him to half health. I just keep loving up one of those things

i actually tried this! I apparently wasn't hitting him, though - I went through a stack of 20 poops with no result

iirc the knight's beginning loadout is heavy enough to make you slow roll--are you still using that armor? if so, try swapping it for something lighter if you have it, or just taking some off. mobility is more important than armor protection in this fight and being able to roll away from an attack and recover quickly is huge. also, about how much of his life bar are you taking off per hit? does it look like it's going to take a bunch of hits to kill him?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

oh yeah did u open the aqueduct gate

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

im worried baldurs gate 3 is gonna be bad

ordinarily i wouldn’t expect much but the developer’s last couple of games have been stellar examples of the genre, so they just have to not faceplant on this one

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Uptime Sinclair posted:

that said this is a james thread. i haven’t been playing much lately besides ports from better platforms/consoles, on ios.

this describes most of the games on my phone too. it's really unfortunate what happened to mobile gaming. everyone having a powerful, gaming-capable pocket computer on them at all times could have been cool but the way the market shook out you basically get three types of games

- f2p gacha nightmares
- ports of old console/pc games, covered in virtual gamepad buttons, often buggy and poorly-supported
- polished, unique, thoughtfully-presented indie games designed with great care specifically for touchscreens (two of these a year tops)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm so burned out on modern games that when I was watching a youtube of some Canadan guy playing Dungeon on a Commodore Pet I caught myself thinking "wow that looks like it would be fun to play".

do you read the crpg addict blog

Weedle
May 31, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I'm 42 I don't read blogs.

me neither but this one’s pretty good. his mission is to find and play as many computer rpgs as possible, in roughly chronological order. obviously he will never be finished but he’s been very diligent about it for years now so his site has become a fairly comprehensive library of reviews of pc rpgs from 1992 and before. here’s his post on dungeon for the pet

http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2013/02/game-85-dungeon-1979.html

Weedle
May 31, 2006

"high score" is also the title of a video game history book published in 2001. i liked video games at the time but had no real idea of the treasures retro gaming offered, and it ended up being a very important and formative book for teenaged weedle. when i heard that netflix was doing a video game history series called "high score" i thought at first it might be related in some way to this book, but after scouring the promotional materials for any mention of the book or its author and finally asking him directly on twitter if they had like, acknowledged his book's existence at all (they did not) it seems that they either "happened" to settle on the exact same title or more likely just didn't give a poo poo because what is some washed up games journalist going to do about it

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i got an 8bitdo sn30 pro plus that i really like. it's basically a hybrid of a snes controller and a dualshock, and it has switchable input modes so you can use it as an xbox/pc controller or switch pro controller

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i often (well, more often than a normal person) like to think about the very first version of microsoft flight simulator, Sublogic FS1, and who exactly this was doing it for. obviously it must have been someone, or microsoft wouldn't have bought the license. but it's hard to imagine someone sitting down in front of their apple ii, firing this up and going "ah, the miracle of flight"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvvfJ60gIf0

even the very next version looks dramatically more immersive and playable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27szyA9mZ8Q

if there are any old sim heads itt who actually played it when it was new i would love to hear what it was like

Weedle fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 3, 2020

Weedle
May 31, 2006

President Beep posted:

idk, if the whole vectoring effect or w/e that is was novel back then it was probably pretty impressive. kinda like when starfox came out.

yeah originally the dev just wrote about this theoretical wireframe graphics program in a magazine but then enough people were like "i would buy this" that he decided to actually make it. seems pretty terrible but hey. so was the first airplane

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Weedle posted:

this describes most of the games on my phone too. it's really unfortunate what happened to mobile gaming. everyone having a powerful, gaming-capable pocket computer on them at all times could have been cool but the way the market shook out you basically get three types of games

- f2p gacha nightmares
- ports of old console/pc games, covered in virtual gamepad buttons, often buggy and poorly-supported
- polished, unique, thoughtfully-presented indie games designed with great care specifically for touchscreens (two of these a year tops)

circling back around to this to highlight bethesda's continuing great work on doom 1 & 2 for iphone. here's today's control update

Weedle
May 31, 2006

what’s worse: the steam controller touchpad or the new 3ds trackpoint?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Why the gently caress can't I easily buy Dungeon Master anywhere? This is madness!

there's an free open-source version that works on modern systems. download links are a ways down the page

http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/851

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tactics is the only final fantasy game where the aesthetic isn't totally fuckin stupid

Weedle
May 31, 2006

President Beep posted:

wait what? are they remaking that or something? is nothing new???‽!!!

ordinarily i'd think 2009 is a bit recent to start remaking stuff but demon's souls has a lot of cool weird online poo poo that doesn't work anymore because the servers got shutdown, and a fair bit of annoying weird gameplay poo poo that could be improved upon. i'm stoked for this remake and the $400 digital ps5 is making me reconsider the ps4 slim i was going to buy this year

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the reaction to getting stuck for five seconds being "hmm, a glitch methinks??" is a damning indictment of both modern games and modern gamers

Weedle
May 31, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Same, I was wondering what happened with the game and apparently a lot of it was due the board of directors involving themselves more with the process. In XII, years into production they told the team that an older main character wasn't marketable and they had to redo the entire story. It got so bad that the creator of the series, and a bunch of people who had been core to the series left.

i heard that the original director would basically just decide that whatever he had recently seen or thought about should be in the game and the development scope kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger and then they had to change engines because the game wasn't going to come out before the ps3 was discontinued and the brass was like we gotta get this guy out of here if this game is ever going to come out. so they added another guy as "co-director" and then just gradually gave him more and more responsibility until he was the sole lead and the original director got taken off the project. said original director was tetsuya nomura who is like, square enix royalty, so he must have been loving it up insanely bad for them to replace him

Weedle
May 31, 2006

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Yes lmao, he basically failed from project to project.

that's the post i was thinking of. i forgot that it was two pages ago in this thread and also made by you

Weedle
May 31, 2006

dark souls has spoiled me on action rpg combat. i tried to go back to the witcher 3 and also start ys 8 and they both felt like absolute garbage in comparison

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the challenge of dark souls is finding/figuring out ways to make the game easy. i'm on my fifth playthrough and it's a total breeze but i'm not actually better at fighting, i just know how to get the best poo poo

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I bought untitled goose game last night, literally a year after it released. I’m that guy

hey so did i. many laughs were had by myself and mrs weedle

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i haven't played it single player so idk how different it really is. it doesn't seem like anything weird is going on though. just two geese working together to terrorize the village

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it is very good. what's your build

Weedle
May 31, 2006

pointsofdata posted:

I've been enjoying using the halberd and the shield I started with (warrior maybe?). At first I was like "I'm going to dodge everything with rolls and sick parries" but that's really hard so I hide behind my shield and poke out when it's safe.

I'm trying to get a couple of Miracles to cast but didn't realize you need attunement first so they'll have to wait a bit

haha that's exactly how my first character went. warrior start, switched to the halberd as soon as i got it but kept that sweet sweet heater shield

i usually go with light armor so i can fastroll but on my most recent regular playthrough i decided to commit to the elite knight armor so i could be like the guy on the box. that combined with an upgraded greatshield pretty much made him an immovable pillar, but i had to abandon it for the dlc because i was just too slow to keep away from the royal wood guardians

Weedle
May 31, 2006

how has snake eater, the best metal gear game and the one that absolutely everyone loves, still not gotten a pc port

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the xbox is as big and as hot as the sun

same

Weedle
May 31, 2006

bump_fn posted:

is ps now the streaming service or is it like you subscribe and get access to a library of games

it's both

Weedle
May 31, 2006

toiletbrush posted:

I really liked FO4 as an open world game, but that's probably because I totally ignored all the missions and the story, and just explored and soaked in the atmosphere.

It was basically an urbex simulator with guns and radiation-ravaged mutant people.

the stalker games are really good at this too

Weedle
May 31, 2006

ShadowHawk posted:

Considering buying a bunch of Quest 2s as christmas presents

and to get more VR friends

i would resent receiving any oculus product as a gift because then i would be obligated to create a facebook account to use it, and also i probably wouldn't be able to use it because they would ban my facebook account for not posting

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i bought the best iphone a year ago and now there's an even better one?? did i waste $1400??????