Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'll be the boring one and take DC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Madkal posted:

Do you want to buy me out and give me tons of comic book monies?

You mean fund you so you drive up the prestige of my brand

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

That would be fun to draft manga creators too.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

It's time to anime up DC

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Pacific as well

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

DC's always been my preference for superhero comics, and I think it's time that we started going for a new audience with our comics. So, in our usual clueless DC management way, we have decided that it's time to go after the manga fans.

Thus, we're introducing our new editor-in-chief: Kazuhiko Torishima

The former editor-in-chief of Weekly Shonen Jump, and specifically the editor for the first half of Dragon Ball will have the knowledge of which mangaka will translate to which character, as well as his experience in helping to guide the stories.

We'll be using the Kazuhiko from 1984-2001, who was editor during many classic Shonen Jump hits like Dragon Ball, Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Yu Yu Hakusho, and One Piece. The man who bullied Akira Toriyama into creating Cell will be a good fit here at DC.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

For the premier character of DC Comics, Superman, we have decided to bring in Masashi Tanaka the artist behind Gon

Gon is a comic written entirely with no dialog, and features nothing but striking art.

This dialog-less approach has potential to really create some wonderful and inspiring Superman comics, while also giving the perfect excuse for Superman to fight a polar bear.

(In case it isn't obvious, my gimmick is using almost nothing but manga artists/writers to take over DC)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

To write Batman we have decided to go with Yoshihiro Togashi creator of Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter. He will be channeling his time writing the York New City arc, and all of the criminal intrigue and crazy supervillain powers that involves. Togashi has a wonderful talent for writing compelling villains that feel like actual people with their own goals and relationships instead of just being an obstacle for the hero. One of Batman's strongest points has always been its rogue's gallery, making Togashi a wonderful fit for the series.

However, due to health issues, Togashi's ability to draw has diminished, so as an exception we have paired him up with an artist to take over art duties while he handles writing. We have decided to go with Andy Price.

Andy Price is an artist that is primarily known for drawing much of the MLP comics by IDW. That doesn't sound like much of a sell on its own, but Andy Price's artwork on that book has been far and away the highlight of the series, with a unique art style that easily nails all kinds of emotions, further making a good fit for Batman's rather manic villains.

Also I want personally just want to see what he'd do with human characters in a comic.

Plus, he's done DC commissions already, let's just hire him!

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

How Wonderful! posted:

That's a nice, classic Batman pin-up and the evil (?) horse in the pages you posted is really expressive in an operatic, over the top way that I think would suit Batman's villains really well. Even if I shrink it back to a thumbnail it's a really striking page composition wise with really dramatic lighting, I'd be pretty stoked to see that guy take a stab at a Bat book. I've never read HxH but I've heard good things and I know drat sure I want to know more about the guy who looks startled to be wrapped up in Dippin Dots.

I'd actually recommend the anime adaptation of Hunter x Hunter over the manga itself.

The Phantom Troupe is one of the highlights of HxH for me. It's basically a way of writing villains I've really grown fond of over the years where they may be evil, greedy, and all kinds of nasty things, but they still have friends and people they like rather than just rush to backstab the other.

Bonolenov is also one of the weirder members of the Troupe

The boxing visuals have nothing to do with his power is the funniest part about him.

Evil horse is a changeling named Queen Chrysalis that leads a hive of what are basically a g-rated succubus. Disguise themselves as other people and then suck the love out of people for food. The comic, I think, gets away with quite a bit more by virtue of the people working on it realizing that the readership is almost certainly adults.

Also this isn't Andy Price, but I think you'd enjoy this panel :v:

What makes me interested in seeing these two work on Batman, is that I think they'd generally avoid one of the things I really don't like about modern Batman comics in just turning all the villains into mass murderers for Batman to beat up. Togashi definitely doesn't have problems with having villains kill, but his writing for the villains generally goes above making them nothing more than killers. Even Hisoka, whose entire character is based on how he likes killing powerful people and the thrill it gives him, isn't written in such a one note way I often see Batman villains given.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

To finish off the big trinity of DC, we have gone with Paru Itagaki of Beastars fame to write and draw Wonder Woman

Itagaki's work on Beastars feels very shonen, while being a more slow paced version that focuses on character relationships more than hot blooded action.

Itagaki's artwork on Beastars also shows a great skill at portraying visual expression, even with the limitation of using anthro characters

This kind of approach would be a great fit for Wonder Woman as the kind of character that prefers to talk and speak out instead of jumping in to fight for the fun of it.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

For resident go fast guy, The Flash we have to decided to bring on ONE of One Punch Man and Mob Psycho 100 fame.

One's comics take a very basic concept of a hugely overpowered character, and explore how the world around them behaves and how they try to fit in with that world.

They're far from complicated tales, but they work very well in the superhero genre, and after exploring super strength and super esp, super speed is the next logical choice for One.

On art, we're going to bring on Yusuke Murata

Murata is a frequent collaborator with ONE, drawing several of his one shots, as well as the redraw of his One Punch Man webcomic.

There's a good quality with his work on One Punch Man where he can shift from ultra detailed art, to comically cartoony

And he is also able to convey speed in a still image very well, such as in his old Football manga Eyeshield 21

I think that given the two's working history together, they could do some amazing things with The Flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

For the Green Lantern we have decided on an old master of action comics that involve BEAMS

It's time for Akira Toriyama

Toriyama is world famous for his Dragon Ball manga, and in my opinion, it is a master class in depicting action and fighting using still images that make it such a joy to read

For Green Lantern in particular, Toriyama draws some wonderful monsters and space aliens.

So, the idea is simple: In an effort to distance Green Lantern away from being a space cop, we're going to reimagine GL as a space adventure series with Green Lantern stopping various monsters and space fascists. Toriyama will be channeling the version of himself from Dragon Ball's Saiyan saga to the end of the Frieza saga.