Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

Nuts and Gum posted:

Did the college have any kind of placement options within an industry or anything?

What? No. I don't think that's a thing in America. Is this something they do in Europe or Canada?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linux Pirate
Apr 21, 2012

Not the absolute stupidest thing I've done but when I was 16 we visited Ireland, I drank some water from a small stream on a hike and poo poo my brains out for like a day.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Linux Pirate posted:

Not the absolute stupidest thing I've done but when I was 16 we visited Ireland, I drank some water from a small stream on a hike and poo poo my brains out for like a day.

the title indicates a superlative, make with the story.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
There were a couple of years there where I was heavily abusing pharmaceuticals and I don't remember anything that happened at all during that time. But when I run into someone I knew from that period they're always like "remember when you did thisorthat? Dude you were nuts!" and I can't loving believe I used to be like that and I just feel loving embarassed.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

LabyaMynora posted:

What? No. I don't think that's a thing in America. Is this something they do in Europe or Canada?

It 100% is a thing in America. Most universities, and even a lot of community colleges have job placement services, internship programs, work study, and apprenticeship programs. I've attended three different schools: a more prestigious university, a state school, and a community college. All of them had a job center of some sort.

In fact, there are likely temp agencies and job placement centers in your town for professionals that want to change careers. If you want out of the call center industry, that is.

Tax:

I've done a lot of really stupid poo poo, but keeping with my other Africa thread. While living in rural West Africa I returned from a bike ride and drank unfiltered pump water during wet season (rain washes everything into the underground wells) and got Giardia. I made my stomach swell up with gas so it felt like a watermelon, and I had sulfurous burps. Also I poo poo hot yellow liquid out of my rear end at high velocity about 25 times a day for a couple days. Don't drink from unapproved sources. Ouch.

Poohs Packin fucked around with this message at 07:54 on May 26, 2020

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008
When I was in 5th grade, I wanted a reason to get out of going to school, so I went down to the lake and found a huge patch of poison ivy. I rubbed it all over my arms, legs, face. Then I realized I'd have to have an excuse for why it got everywhere, so I came up with the story of "I was peeing, and didn't realize it was poison ivy." To better sell the story to my mom, I rubbed it on my junk.

I did get out of school for a few days. I could've just said I walked through it or tripped or something, but that would be only slightly dumber.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Eat a dick unicycle boy!
I blind drunk skate boarded 65 km on a highway and permanently did damage to my knees

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
At the grand old age of 26 I had managed to accrue 'expenses' of around $100k in a year whilst on a salary of less than half that, which triggered and investigation into my 'expenses' by the company. Said expenses included travel sustenance, which comprised buying bottles of vodka and whiskey after a day of travelling, then there was client entertainment, which included a $1000 lunch with colleagues and a $1200 after hours piss up for a colleague who was returning to the Seattle head office and literally gently caress knows how much in fuel receipts when I was living in the notoriously car-friendly place known as central London.

My ingenious defence when asked to have a sit down with the auditors was "well the boss signed it all off," knowing full well that my boss had given me his password for the expenses system because he couldn't be bothered approving people's expenses. I then, in a real brain genius move proceeded to spend three grand on a solicitor who presumably spent his billable hours laughing his rear end off at me and came back with the career-saving move to quit before I was fired.

I still have the $1000 DSLR camera I put through as an business expense, so there's that I guess?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i joined the military

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I rode a bicycle I bought at walmart down these steps

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

LabyaMynora posted:

What? No. I don't think that's a thing in America.

LOL? This is very much a thing in the US.

Kirk Vikernes fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 26, 2020

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Jestery posted:

I blind drunk skate boarded 65 km on a highway and permanently did damage to my knees

Kinda reminds me of how Neil Cassidy died. Assuming you mean you went that distance, and not that you were going that fast, and wiped out.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Let's see, 18 years thinking with my dick sums it up nicely for me.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Literally A Person posted:

Let's see, 18 years thinking with my dick sums it up nicely for me.

what happened to your dick?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Statutory Ape posted:

what happened to your dick?

It started making better decisions and now me and him are like besties.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't check my wallet thoroughly enough for a two year old dime bag lined with cocaine residue before entering the UAE. Or leaving it. I honestly still get nervous sweats thinking about it.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

I have/had the absolute worst White Knight complex leading me to date some folks I should never have. It has generally not been worth all the drama and I hope I'm finally done.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

LethalGeek posted:

I have/had the absolute worst White Knight complex leading me to date some folks I should never have. It has generally not been worth all the drama and I hope I'm finally done.

i have vowed to be the more broken & high maintenance one

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I had children

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I worked at a job for almost 4 years that made me so stressed out that I threw up almost every day, had trouble sleeping, etc. I thought the pay was worth it (it wasn't) but I ended up developing acid reflux and high blood pressure during that time. It was 2009 so the economy was still hosed and I was terrified of going to another job that paid less and hating it just as much.

I finally got laid off and found another job like 3 months later. My high blood pressure went away as did my acid reflux. I can't imagine how much damage that job did to my physical and mental health. I was working long days, working weekends, working at home, working on vacation, etc. A complete nightmare but I was fresh out of college and making $57k a year so I thought this was what life was like for everyone.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Statutory Ape posted:

lol i used to think "japanese people" were retarded assholes for wearing masks all the time

haha ah man

i am such a retarded rear end in a top hat

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hey genesplicer, since you prefer just probating instead of talking

(boomer lol)

yeah this is the stupidest thing youve ever done thread and i was posting in that context. sorry that hurt your feeling

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

Statutory Ape posted:

hey genesplicer, since you prefer just probating instead of talking

(boomer lol)

yeah this is the stupidest thing youve ever done thread and i was posting in that context. sorry that hurt your feeling

You were probed for the slur, dumbass.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

You were probed for the slur, dumbass.

yea i understand that

ive voiced my opinion on this sufficiently elsewhere already, beyond that

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem

Sir Not Appearing posted:

LOL? This is very much a thing in the US.

Oh yes, I remember visiting the job center just before I graduated. She no poo poo walked me through how to search for jobs on craigslist. I assume other colleges are more competent.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Statutory Ape posted:

yea i understand that

ive voiced my opinion on this sufficiently elsewhere already, beyond that

look at the username of who you are responding to; tread carefully;

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.
* Lost a full ride scholarship after two years because I was smart enough to coast through high school but never learned how to loving study. My grad school GPA was nearly a point higher than my undergrad. :q:
* Had intermittent, bizarre pain in my left foot I ignored for a period of roughly 17 years until I went to an orthopedist, who declared that I was the star of the prior Friday's radiology panel after seeing my MRI scans. Turns out my foot was riddled with schwannomas, a rare but benign form of nerve sheath tumor. Whenever the tumors were compressed or feeling contrary, ZAP - magical electrical nerve damage-style pain! Two surgeries and three tumors removed later - the smallest of which was a centimeter long - my foot's a lot better, even if I bitch about my scars after stretching or a weather change sometimes.

Not the only mistakes I've made, but they're definitely the ones I'm comfortable sharing.

Hasturtium fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 26, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

ugh I hate being the radiology star

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Theophany posted:

At the grand old age of 26 I had managed to accrue 'expenses' of around $100k in a year whilst on a salary of less than half that, which triggered and investigation into my 'expenses' by the company. Said expenses included travel sustenance, which comprised buying bottles of vodka and whiskey after a day of travelling, then there was client entertainment, which included a $1000 lunch with colleagues and a $1200 after hours piss up for a colleague who was returning to the Seattle head office and literally gently caress knows how much in fuel receipts when I was living in the notoriously car-friendly place known as central London.

My ingenious defence when asked to have a sit down with the auditors was "well the boss signed it all off," knowing full well that my boss had given me his password for the expenses system because he couldn't be bothered approving people's expenses. I then, in a real brain genius move proceeded to spend three grand on a solicitor who presumably spent his billable hours laughing his rear end off at me and came back with the career-saving move to quit before I was fired.

I still have the $1000 DSLR camera I put through as an business expense, so there's that I guess?

jesus christ you're a real piece of poo poo huh?

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

Theophany posted:

i like this

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Theophany posted:

This kind of dumbassery is almost heroic. What happened to your boss for giving you that unearned, regrettable carte blanche?

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

When I was in 2nd grade I thought it'd be funny to ask some girls at recess if they wanted to see my nuts. My nuts ofcourse being a bag of mixed nuts my mom so generously packed me for lunch. Ofcourse all the boys thought this was the pinnacle of comedy, and I've always been a little susceptible to peer pressure. Ok now that I'm thinking about this incident it explains a lot about my deformed brain. So I'm going around being a goober, but I'm scared, what if I say my balls? What in God's name happens if I slip up and ask someone if they want to see my balls? Jesus and God, the power. So naturally it happens and i just lock up. Sweaty and red faced i just kind of run off, imagining what sex predator jails going to be like. Very scary. I ended up getting a detention after I got ratted out.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

remigious posted:

Oh yes, I remember visiting the job center just before I graduated. She no poo poo walked me through how to search for jobs on craigslist. I assume other colleges are more competent.

JFC, our high school is more competent than that. We have plenty kids walking off the stage with their diploma and walking into jobs making up to 1.5x what I make teaching. I don't even know what kind of stupid poo poo I would have done making $70k at 18. Now, those are mostly jobs most goons would look down upon (CNC, welding, construction, industrial robotics), but they place kids every year and many of them end up with college paid for by their employers.

Quite a few colleges around here advertise their job placement rate and one that I teach dual credit classes for is really good at it. Something like 94% last time I looked.

Sorry for you are loss.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Statutory ape’s probe reminded me of this story. Definitely not the stupidest thing I’ve ever done but the drug stuff is just depressing/not interesting.

My old boss, whose kid was autistic (he was open about this), was complaining about how someone we worked with had “r-bombed” him. Thinking that the r-bomb is just like the n-bomb and trying to be empathetic, I said something like “wow that’s especially messed up to say to you given the situation with your son”, which in hindsight would’ve been bad to say either way. He was extremely confused and he explained that R-bombing just means leaving someone’s message on “read” without responding.

I think he was pretty gracious about it and he never mentioned it again but I still think about it sometimes when I’m trying to fall asleep.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Lol R bomb

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The real offensive R-bomb in the work place is requesting read receipts.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Hmmm...

In ascending order

Street raced a volvo S80 wagon (fast car that looks like grocery getter) in my clapped out 67' mercury cougar. Cop was 2 cars back, pulls me over right in front of the Boise courthouse and I get a wreckless driving

Worked at a jiffy lube. My manager was in front of a car, I quickly hop in to fire it up and get oil pressure, with both my feet hanging out the door. Car is a manual, in gear with no neutral start switch. Car lurches forward, hits boss, hits garage door busting out all the windows. Amazingly I was not fired

Sold my perfectly working pickup to get an 83' toyota landcruiser just as they were appreciating in value. Own it for 2 whole days before leaving it out of gear in front of my house. I walk out my front door to see it rolling away from me. Rolls across the street and hits a tree in the front yard of a house kitty-cornee to me, loving up the whole rear end a caving in the roof. Actually super thankful for the tree otherwise it would have hit their house.

Last one, getting a great career job, climb the ranks earn great money. Eat a bad meal, get real sick Friday and I call in. Smoke some weed for the nausea. Drug test monday! Fml got fired.

Pretty bad luck with vehicles really

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I'm not sure how much luck was involved...

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

SilvergunSuperman posted:

I'm not sure how much luck was involved...

All of my problems are usually not my fault

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Willfrey posted:

All of my problems are usually not my fault

lol wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Nuts and Gum posted:

jesus christ you're a real piece of poo poo huh?

I mean, I'm not proud of it. It's like the most tragic wannabe Wolf of Wall Street poo poo that every movie producer would turn down for being too middle class, I guess.

Hasturtium posted:

This kind of dumbassery is almost heroic. What happened to your boss for giving you that unearned, regrettable carte blanche?

He ended up a year or so later getting stung for loving his girlfriend, who happened to be a receptionist for the company, in the kitchen where they were serving up food for clients. There was also another guy who managed to rack up something like $200k in a year because he kept claiming for the same $600 first class train ticket over and over to cover for the insane cash withdrawals he was making at ATMs because hookers don't take cards and don't give tax invoices. His wife would've otherwise questioned these ATM withdrawals at like 2am. In fact it was him getting investigated and summarily fired that put our entire team's spending habits under the microscope lol.

e: I swear I could write an entire thread of what a loving moron I was at that company whilst simulatenously thinking I was all of Ocean's 11 wrapped up in a single brain.

Theophany fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 26, 2020