Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

When she finds love may it always stay true.
This I beg for the second wish I made too.

Fallen Rib

Ghost Leviathan posted:

If we got started on Star Trek we'd be here all day

True, bt it's fun!

Not nominating the Oberth class science vessel per se: its hardware might be ok but over the course of TNG they find so many destroyed Oberths with crews killed by space monsters/radiation/gravitation anomalies/sex madness etc. that either the design is cursed or the Federation has some sort of sick sacrificing strategy going on ("the chaos gods are hungry. Send out a few more Oberths to the usual killer space anomailes to appease them.") Especially seing how many of these ships were not just crewed with scientists, but also their families.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib

Musluk posted:

Speaking of blasters...

Is this a piece of poo poo or is it rebel propaganda?

If you want to build all these super weapons in secret, you gotta save on other projects.

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib
The general tendency of Starfleet to fill most of its exploration ships with the extended families of their crew is also pretty baffling - but on the other hand they really save on compensation payments to widows and (half-)orphans!

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib
*presses LCARS shortcut button for "Amazing Grace" on torpedo launch console*

"As we say goodbye to Ensign Ricky, we remember that his uniform, just as ours, was made of recycled poop. And just as his body will be recycled to snythehol cocktails, bedsheets and shiny latex lingerie for Commander Riker, so will be ours. Such is life in Starfleet - a never ending adventure."

SavageGentleman fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 18, 2020

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib
Really liked the Expanse for the fact that humanity dropped terraforming mars like a hot potato when it found a way to earthlike worlds - because terraforming is a shitload of work and takes centuries. Gotta reread the red green hlue mars series

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib

Owling Howl posted:

The best part of DS9 is federation officers routinely threatening physical violence against the ferengi running minor scams but are also 100% cool with Klingons getting furiously drunk in the bar and assaulting people in random bar fights while loudly praising violence, war and imperialism.

Also also easy to forget how the Klingons did their Empire building before the Feds buddy up with them in DS9 - remember the few episodes of the original series where Klingons 'negotiate' with non-ftl species? Lots of screaming, pillaging, public executions and terror. Feds looking back: "Huh, those wacky klingons with their creative warrior culture!"

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Actually might be interesting to play on the transition from feudal kingdoms and vassalage to proper nation-states.

30 Years War with Mechas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SavageGentleman
Feb 28, 2010

Fallen Rib
Just wondering as a non STEM guy: Would such an orbital launching ramp (seen on WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE [1951] ) make any sense or just kill everyone riding the rocket in a very messy way?