Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
I'm down for the adventures of magical demented Dr. Ruth. Look out for trolleys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
This new format seems easier to read, so I vote to stick with it.

I don't usually laugh out loud when I read LPs, but revealing that "Angst" is a stat/resource in this game was just too much. poo poo is priceless. I will say this much: at this point (that is, almost instantly) in the Tides of Numenara LP, I was already sick of the game's boring-rear end eternal blathering prose. This game has been much more entertaining so far. Don't know if it's been any more entertaining to actually play, and I gotta be honest, I don't really feel like finding out for myself. Thank you for your sacrifice, noble goon!

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
Huh, I actually liked At the Mountains of Madness. But I'm a sucker for polar/antarctic exploration stuff, I've always thought it was really neat. I even liked that one Alien vs Predator movie where they fight in the pyramid trapped under the ice, even though it was stupid as hell.

If I had to pick a favorite Lovecraft story, I'd choose The Music of Erich Zann. It's very short and doesn't really connect to the rest of his mythos, but I always thought it did a better job of portraying the whole "indescribable cosmic horror" shtick than Cthulhu and company anyway. And it's framed like a ghost story, which I also liked. It's still written in melodramatic Lovecraft prose, so adjust your expectations accordingly, but I enjoyed this one.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
"Where there were objects of chimerical nature, there is only a portentous nothingness now, whose intangible and cold realism is more absolute than anything else in this place."

This is loving amazing. A whole overwritten description that describes literally nothing. It's beautiful. It's revolting. It is so magnificently pointless that... I don't even know how to follow that up. Holy poo poo.

EggsAisle
Dec 17, 2013

I get it! You're, uh...
...well then.

There were a few things I liked about this game. I think TGEK touched on most of these at some point, so I could be guilty of parroting- but I really do feel like there were a handful of decent parts in this mess (as experienced through the LP, I've never touched this game and never will.)

-First, the theater scene. It's pretty well agreed ITT that this was one of the more effective sequences, and I think the same.
-The Unknown Soldier. Not in the way you interact with him (especially that ending, blech) but this character had potential. He could have, should have been in a better game.
-The concept of escaping battles being a viable path forward. It fits well in a horror-styled game. Unfortunately, it seems like they botched just about every aspect of its execution, so it's just more mess to muddle through. But it didn't have to be.
-The art direction was overall solid. Not great, but consistently better than the other aspects. It alone was responsible for any atmosphere/mood the game generated. Unfortunately, it couldn't prop the game up long, compared to the writing and gameplay dragging it all down.

These are, unfortunately, tiny islands in a sea of terrible. Maybe it serves best as a cautionary tale for game developers who want to do the Lovecraft thing...