Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC67jzeEuRk

The movie Hatari!, which you can find on Youtube for free, is a 1960s John Wayne film. It won the Oscar for cinematography, and if you watch it, you will know why. It’s about the people who caught African animals for zoos before tranquilizers became available. You see them catch a rhinoceros, a giraffe, a Cape buffalo (!), a wildebeest, and a zebra this way. They actually had to do this for the movie, and John Wayne actually did this stuff, and there are no puppets or practical effects (see video above). It’s a movie unlike any other. Also, it has two (wow) female characters who are both well-done, including one based on legendary female wildlife photographer Ylla.

It’s a movie from the 1960s, so, you know, watch with context. However, it has tons of great footage of the Maasai and what’s now present-day Tanzania. The catching technique was pioneered by Ian Player, one of the most important figures in African conservation history, who used it to save the white rhino when government policy became to eradicate them on sight to clear for human development.

John Wayne was also in another movie, called The Fighting Kentuckian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

John Wayne was a white supremacist and chickenhawk

Though, The Quiet Man, Stagecoach, Hondo, Rio Bravo, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and Red River all own

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Don’t forget the one where he plays Genghis Kahn

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

Egbert Souse posted:

Though, The Quiet Man, Stagecoach, Hondo, Rio Bravo, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, and Red River all own

agreed on hondo, but also gently caress john wayne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoyusTUFdl0

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Always preferred clint eastwood if we're honest

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Did Wayne ever even rape a woman in his films like clint eastwood did?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Egbert Souse posted:

Yeah I've heard he loving sucked but some of his movies exist and have horses in them. I actually know very little about celebrities, it's a huge gap in my knowledge base.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

John Wayne inspired a great episode of one of my favorite shows, Patriot season 2 episode 6, titled "gently caress John Wayne".

It has a monologue about John Wayne that I would post here if I could find it, you can probably guess the general thesis of it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I was recently looking at rhinos and it led me to Hatari, really I just wanted a thread about "woah look at Hatari, that's crazy" but I figured no one would know what I was talking about. You can make this the "gently caress John Wayne" thread though, gladly.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

One time long ago I missed a connecting flight and was stranded in Charlotte NC in the middle of the night. I still had to ride a bus several hours to my destination and I was dead tired. There was a TV and VCR on the bus. We got on the road and the driver, an old white codger shouts “y’all like the Duke?” and all the old white codgers on the bus nodded “mmm-hmm” and the bus driver puts on some old movie where John Wayne is fighting in WW2 or something.

Also

My Spirit Otter posted:

agreed on hondo, but also gently caress john wayne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoyusTUFdl0

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Straight up racist the sucka was simple and plain

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0KlRpQeyvo

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Hey Pilgrim

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

John Wayne can suck my rear end. gently caress John Wayne, may he rest in.... PAIN!!!

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal
I don't like movies where people are mean to animals, so I don't think I'd like this one. Thanks for the suggestion though.

e:VVV I don't know, chasing and bumping into rhinos with a jeep seems pretty mean to me, but I'm no animal expert.

I did learn that it's possible to PIT Maneuver a rhino though so that's something.

Wifi Toilet fucked around with this message at 07:28 on May 31, 2020

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They're not really "mean" to them. You can look up the parts where they're legit trying to kill John Wayne though. He looks scared off his rear end.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Whats happening here exactly. They're hunting a giant rhino in a desert (?), in a modified VW beetle (?), with a snare (?) Even the other animals in the background are standing around like this is retarded.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
That is one ripped rhinoceros

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJWjf19dHcY

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Supreme Allah posted:

Whats happening here exactly. They're hunting a giant rhino in a desert (?), in a modified VW beetle (?), with a snare (?) Even the other animals in the background are standing around like this is retarded.

Watch the video. The way that this was done, in the time before tranquilizers, is that you would run down the animal in vehicles and then try to snare it from the vehicle and then wrangle it to the ground. But sometimes the animal would fight back, would you also see in the video, and the rhinoceros will try to kill your car. So does the cape buffalo.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Has anyone here ever seen the Conqueror?

John Wayne as loving Ghengis Kahn. My dad had it on tape years ago it’s hilariously bad. So bad in fact that supposedly many of the cast and crew, including John Wayne eventually got cancer and died because of radiation from nuclear weapons tests that were going on near the film’s location in Utah. (Government said it was safe!) John Wayne himself blamed his cancer on his hardcore smoking habit, but a lot of other people who were on the Utah set got sick.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
His name was Marion

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdJovODbrm8&t=4s

General Dog posted:

Don’t forget the one where he plays Genghis Kahn
omg i thought you were just kidding

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
In 1975 John Wayne made Brannigan, where he plays a tough Chicago cop who comes to London. At one point this happens:

https://youtu.be/UpOEGh7_BdY#t=01m53s

In an earlier scene he throws Baldrick from Blackadder into the Thames, which is also good.

Rascar Capac fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 1, 2020

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umHEax4N29o&t=20s

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
John Wayne was an insane xenophobic rear end in a top hat though he was also an incredible actor far beyond his time. An interesting and frightening contrast.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I deeply enjoyed The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance and think it was a film ahead of its time.

Hairy Right Hook
Sep 9, 2001

Hee to the ho
Go ahead, make me gay

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
https://youtu.be/85G5SI5Nu3s

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Rascar Capac posted:

In 1975 John Wayne made Brannigan, where he plays a tough Chicago cop who comes to London. At one point this happens:

https://youtu.be/UpOEGh7_BdY#t=01m53s

In an earlier scene he throws Baldrick from Blackadder into the Thames, which is also good.

Dirty Harry was written for Wayne but he decided that it was too violent for him. (That's why the character is named Harry Callahan and explains the politics of the movie, etc). When he saw how popular the movie was he decided that making a violent cop movie was fine and so he made Brannigan, which has pointless violence tacked on in weird ways.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
literally all I know about dirty harry is that the guy who played Garak on deep space 9 was the punk in question who was not as lucky as would be necessary to remain un-bullet'd

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

sure, i would gently caress john wayne. i'd let him slam me hard, me lying back with my legs up. i still don't respect his politics or share his racist xenophobic ideology, but i'd let him tag my butthole. why not? it's john motherfucking wayne. not going to pass up that opportunity

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Okay. The searchers is pretty great except for the depiction of Indians is pretty bad (it was a simpler, more racist time). Top 5 western ever made, easily.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Hatari! was my one of my grandma's favorite movies so it holds a place in my heart (her other favorite being The Gods Must Be Crazy which is probably wildly racist if I were to watch it now). I probably haven't seen it in 20 years though, so we'll see how it holds up.

Telebite
Aug 23, 2018

Egbert Souse posted:

PLAYBOY: Angela Davis claims that those who would revoke her teaching credentials
on ideological grounds are actually discriminating against her because she's black. Do
you think there's any truth in that?
WAYNE: With a lot of blacks, there's quite a bit of resentment along with their dissent,
and possibly rightfully so. But we can't all of a sudden get down on our knees and turn
everything over to the leadership of the blacks. I believe in white supremacy until the
blacks are educated to a point of responsibility. I don't believe in giving authority and
positions of leadership and judgment to irresponsible people.

https://pages.shanti.virginia.edu/Wild_Wild_Cold_War/files/2011/11/John_Wayne_Playboy_Int2.pdf

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Darth Brooks posted:

Dirty Harry was written for Wayne but he decided that it was too violent for him. (That's why the character is named Harry Callahan and explains the politics of the movie, etc). When he saw how popular the movie was he decided that making a violent cop movie was fine and so he made Brannigan, which has pointless violence tacked on in weird ways.

He also turned down Gene Wilder's role in Blazing Saddles because it was too dirty. He said he'd love to watch the movie but wouldn't appear in it. Also the studio wouldn't let Mel Brooks cast Richard Pryor. So it should've been a John Wayne & Richard Pryor movie.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
During the Academy Awards in 1973, John Wayne tried to attack a Native American woman. Sacheen Littlefeather was asked to accept Brando's best actor award where she was going to give a speech highlighting the US mistreatment of Native people. Wayne had to be restrained by six people.

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

i'd like to get down and suck on john wayne's cock until it erupts in my face. i'd totally take him to task about all the racism and xenophobia afterwards, but i'm not going to let my ideals get in the way of sucking the dick of the Duke

clammy
Nov 25, 2004

hell he can even drop a duke on my chest while i lie there and question him about what's the deal with his thing against native americans; it's not like either of us are going anywhere soon and i know from experience making a poopy can put one in a contemplative state of mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Hatari! was my one of my grandma's favorite movies so it holds a place in my heart (her other favorite being The Gods Must Be Crazy which is probably wildly racist if I were to watch it now). I probably haven't seen it in 20 years though, so we'll see how it holds up.

I haven't thought about the gods must be crazy in years, and I'm sure it is in retrospect, but it was one of the only things we had on VHS when I was a little kid so I probably watched it too many times. I didn't know it was a movie, I thought it was a documentary? Like I thought all of that actually happened until I was much older.