Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Krakkles posted:

Black Lives Matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

If we're posting lovely opinions here's mine. Cheese... is just ok.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

cursedshitbox posted:

Coffee with sugar or milk is gross.

Coffee with sugar and milk is great. Also I like instant coffee.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'm digging the Stok iced coffee in stores. They’re not too sweet and chocolate flavors are nice. Also I could really go for some Drunken Noodles and Thai Sweet tea from the Thai place in town.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jun 3, 2020

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

What terrifies me is that black people have represented a disproportionate amount of deaths due to covid-19. With the protesting that is happening there's no way transmissions are not happening. That means roughly 1.5 to 2 weeks from now we're going to see another jump in cases and once again its going to disproportionately affect the black community. They're facing death from all sides and its loving insane. They're having to put their lives at risk in multiple ways just to protest for the right to live.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Cross posting from the car audio thread cuz I want y’all to see.

Coredump posted:

Hey everyone I'm back. Now its time to do the tweeters.
This is what the factory Element tweeter looks like in the car (image stolen from Crutchfield. Thank you Crutchfield)

When you get the A pillar off however the truth reveals itself

You can see the tweeter I'm planning on using up top, a Seas H1396 and the size of the grill

One hole saw and some sanding later we get this:

From the back:

Test fit in the car. Nice thing is the tweeter now points more at me than the factory one did:

Now this part I'm proud of. I had some spare speaker grill metal from my woofers I installed earlier. So I got a wheel bearing and race in the right size and used them as forming tools to press the speaker grill into shape to go in the hole left in my A pillar

Glued in

Wired up. Thats a 25 uf capacitor inline with the tweeter.

And here's what it looks like:

Now I haven't put the tweeter back in the car just yet. With the way the Honda's factory amp is wired a full range signal is being sent to the tweeter. The old factory tweeter had a capacitor as a crossover to prevent music with too much bass hitting the tweeter. I have a capacitor on my tweeter as well. However my capacitor serves a different purpose. Its a safe guard if I get an amp pop or any sort of full range signal sent to the tweet, it will block most of the damaging bass.Here's a video that goes over that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hscMuzfyxQ4

However the capacitor doesn't block signal up to the tweeter's crossover point. For my tweeter the math works out to: 0.159/(X *3.5) = 0.000025 which means I'm blocking frequencies from ~1817 Hz and lower. Here's a page that has the specs for my tweeter. This Seas tweeter has a frankly ridiculous recommended frequency range of 2500 - 30000 hz. Its the lower range that catches me by surprise. But to make sure I don't see too low of frequency to the tweeter and damage it I plan to switch my Pioneer headunit to active mode. That will allow the Pioneer to set crossover points for the tweeters, woofers, and subwoofer in the headunit. When I do that I'll probably set the high pass filter for the tweeter at 3500 hz or there abouts. But i need to do some more wiring before I can do that. So for the moment I'm down one tweeter while I work on that. But the tweeter is ready to go when I get it done.

I have a small 4 channel amp ready to go. However I plan to install it where the factory amp is. When I do that my factory subwoofer will no longer be powered. I plan on getting the matching NVX micro class D amp as well but that will be some time down the road before it gets installed. In the meantime the plan will be to power the tweeters off the headunit and let the factory amp continue to power the front speakers in the doors.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

bandman posted:

I finally got around to thoroughly cleaning my bike (~16 year old Trek 1000) after riding in a bunch of heavy rain this week. I’m trying to make riding before work and getting at least 10 miles in a new habit, I’ll be damned if I let rain get in the way of getting in shape (down 18 lbs since May 4 from 277.8 to 259.8).

Anyway, my chain and gears had a shitload of old grease and sand stuck in them, so I hosed everything off with some citrus degreaser, scrubbed the chain and all of the sprockets and derailleurs with soap and water, wiped it down, and applied dry lube to every roller on the chain. I also got new pedals, going from an ancient shimano pedal to brand new Look Sprint pedals. Old pedals weighed over 8oz each, new ones are 5oz each. It rides like a brand new bike now. Shifts like butter from the top of the gearset to the bottom. Amazing what I was missing by being lazy and not servicing my bike.

Bikes are good. I like bikes. Some of mine are pretty AI. FWD moving bottom bracket recumbent (Cruzbike T50), Long wheelbase recumbent, and I used to have a stand-up bike as well.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 7, 2020

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

bandman posted:

Well that’s dumb. I had a spare set of shimano SPD pedals, but they’re heavy as poo poo and made for mountain bikes.

Here’s another good one. The tubes that go from the bottom bracket (round thing that holds your pedals) to the rear wheel are called seat stays. The tube that goes up down, seat tube. And the pipe that holds the thing you sit on? Seat post. And the thing that clamps in there? A saddle. :v: don’t call it a seat either.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

casque posted:

I believe those are chain stays.

You're right. Its the angled tube on top of the rear triangle that is the seat stays.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Motronic posted:

That grill bend is clean and pro AF. You should be proud.

I meant to say thank you for this when you said this. Sooo.... Thanks! I appreciate it.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I’m so tired of not being able to sleep at night. It’s 4am my time been up since 8:30 am yesterday and got to be up by 8:30 am today. And just can’t sleep.

Edit: now the birds are up.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jun 10, 2020

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That being said, extreme cases are different i.e. Michael Jackson, I can't listen to him anymore without thinking about him being a child rapist

I thought as time as passed its become more likely that Michael was innocent of what he was accused of. Admittedly I haven't watch the very latest documentary on him that came out in the last year or so.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Its interesting that SA in its early days with the threat of internet detectives and later being hell dumped taught me and I think a lot of us to be conscious and selective with what we post on social media. I DO NOT treat my facebook as a diary as some of my friends who are the same age as me do. Although I do share certain big life events as its the most effective way to reach the people I know.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5b_-TZwQ0I Video from the ancient times of 2017 on John Oliver's show nails so much of the bs thinking of people wanting to preserve the confederacy. I wonder how many of my fellow Georgians have bothered to read our letter of secession. Its lengthy but it makes it very clear why Georgia wanted to leave the union.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jun 12, 2020

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

STR I’m pulling for you.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Jeez that's a big pussy

Jeez that's a big pussy

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Grew up watching that movie. One of the few I have on blue ray.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

nm posted:

30 places in 5 miles. LOL.
There are at least 10 stores (supermarkets, quickie marts, pharmacies, restaurants doing off-sales due to pandemics, etc) that sell booze within a few blocks of me, including by far the best beer store in town, which is on my block. They (and bars) can sell from 6am to 2am daily, and I'm pretty sure that 4 hour time is just there so they mop the drat floor occasionally. :ca:
5 miles? The number approaches infinity.

And yall can have weed you sonofa...

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

These are the people who bullied the poo poo out of their peers. Anyone who truly enjoyed middle school and high school is probably sociopath.

Not really?.. I know today is different but coming up through school in the 90's think about it. Most of your needs were taken care of by your parents if you had a somewhat stable household. You got to see your friends everyday. Your day was done by 3:00 pm. Compared to the loneliness that is adulthood in a lot of ways I can definitely see why some people can look back on their high school years fondly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

That pretty well tracks except I was a miserable shithead in middle school for sure.

Oh... well that might explain some of why you see it that way.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Which conversation are we having? People who enjoyed their high school years or people who loved their high school/college age experience more than adult life? That's a change in scope and magnitude I would think.

Back when I was in high school school started at 7:40 am and was done by 3:15 pm if I remember correctly. I didn't have extracurriculars after school.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The quote was specifically about people who thought that their teen years were the best years of their life.

Yeah your second reply was that. But your first comment was, "Anyone who truly enjoyed middle school and high school is probably sociopath." so different meanings and scope there like I said.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I'm post-whoring again because I got a chance to nerd out about car audio tonight and want to share. At this point my front door speakers and tweeters have been installed.

Remember these:

Here's another pic of the forming "tools" i used to get the tweeter grill shape:

Cut out a circle of speaker grill, put it between the bearing cage (minus bearings) and race and use a bench vise and some 2x4's and you can form the shape. I made pie cuts where the grill material began to bunch up.

And here is a pic of the tweeter installed in the car:

My factory Honda amp outputs to front channel, rear channel, and sub. I've gone full active so my speakers are powered thusly; tweeters run off headunit power, front woofers run off the factory front channel of the amp, however that channel of the amp is plugged into the headunit's rear channel output, which becomes the woofer output in active mode. Subwoofer stays the same.

Then tonight I got my pioneer home theater receiver microphone and with the help of a 80's style exercise headband, put the mic on my forehead and let the headunit do time alignment for each speaker, signal sweeps to set crossovers, then output test to set speaker sound level, and finally set the subwoofer phase. After the headunit got done I did some manual tweaks to the crossover point between my woofers and tweeters. But now the headunit knows where the speakers are physically located in my car relative to where I sit in the passenger seat and can now focus the sound on the driver's seat, the passenger's seat, or the midpoint in between. Its pretty neat to hear the sound bounce around going through the different time alignment presets once the speakers got measured.

Powering the tweeters off the headunit's internal amp brings up a funny situation. Pretty much any headunit's built-in amp to power speakers will put out middling power, we're talking 12 watts continuous power if we're lucky. To put this in contrast the micro 4 channel amp I have ready to install claims roughly 50 watts continuous power (75 watts rms at 4 ohms at 14.4v if we're being specific). But even with the tweeters being powered off the headunit the auto eq set them to -6db for left tweet and -7db for the right tweet. And I have to agree them things were singing before the auto eq. But at this point all the speakers I plan on replacing for now are installed. Hooray!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Roads are crap, landscaping obscures views at a lot of intersections. Tall wagons make sense. I however went the 3rd way and drive an orange lunchbox on wheels, the Honda Element. I bought it specifically because it has enough room inside to fold up one of the seats and stow a bike in the back. And I had/have plans to take it camping one day.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

These sleepless nights are killing me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

loving poo poo... my regdate was going to be legal adult this year I've been on here so long. gently caress.