Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What did it matter?
This poll is closed.
The mod squad (FORUM FRIENDS) has edited the poll 11 1.38%
And inserted their good jokes 4 0.50%
While the rest of you laugh 9 1.13%
Bowsette 103 12.88%
347 43.38%
killer comedy option $69,420.69 15 1.88%
big bandicoot baps 311 38.88%
Total: 800 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Lurdiak posted:

Lucasarts all the way you sierrinfidel.

Lucasarts was great but it was years after the Sierra games. I played all of the space quests until 5, police quest 1, dagger of amon ra, quest for glory 3/4, and I loved Sierra games because there was nothing else like them. Lucasarts came later and improved on it.

Edit: looks like hot girl 69 was wrong about the Nintendo news this weekend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

FirstAidKite posted:

I recall reading something about how final fantasy game protagonists get read differently from america to japan, with many characters being read as ethnically asian in japan while being read as caucasian in america. I think the article in particular was talking about Cloud or Tidus as an example of the dual interpretations.

Yeah I was talking to a Chinese guy about FF8, back in 2004. He told me that everyone in FF8 is Asian apart from Lulu, who is Caucasian. I was absolutely blown away.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I made a spreadsheet of games because I read too much last year and finished too few games, also I had some games languishing for years that I hadn't finished (Dying Light, Witcher 2, Mass Effect 3) and wanted to just get some finishing in. I haven't done great but I've made some progress. I also rated the games out of 20.

RE3 vita 16
Yakuza 0 pc 20
Xcom 2 classic difficulty wotc pc 20
Witcher 2 pc 15
Mass Effect 3 pc 17
Dishonored pc 16
Dying Light pc 18
Sayonara Wild Hearts pc 16
Yakuza 1 ps4 18

I'm about to finish Bloodborne which is a 20/20. 3/4 of the way through FF7R which is about 19/20 so far. Shitcanned Life is Strange 2. Playing a bunch of other games at the moment too.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

redreader posted:

I made a spreadsheet of games because I read too much last year and finished too few games, also I had some games languishing for years that I hadn't finished (Dying Light, Witcher 2, Mass Effect 3) and wanted to just get some finishing in. I haven't done great but I've made some progress. I also rated the games out of 20.

RE3 vita 16
Yakuza 0 pc 20
Xcom 2 classic difficulty wotc pc 20
Witcher 2 pc 15
Mass Effect 3 pc 17
Dishonored pc 16
Dying Light pc 18
Sayonara Wild Hearts pc 16
Yakuza 1 ps4 18

I'm about to finish Bloodborne which is a 20/20. 3/4 of the way through FF7R which is about 19/20 so far. Shitcanned Life is Strange 2. Playing a bunch of other games at the moment too.

Bloodborne, just got the plat today and also finished it 3x today without doing any savescum tricks. (the first playthough I did everything including the dungeons, and started that earlier this year, although I'd played it a lot and not finished it before)

20/20. Best game I've ever played.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Someone mentioned cracking playstation Vitas. Is there a thread here or a recommended resource online? Has anyone here done it?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Just got to the Jenova Boss fight in FF7R and it was the best part of the game so far. I absolutely love the music for it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Just finished FF7R, 20/20.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Khanstant posted:

Yes, I did go to Harvard and got a doctorate in Drawing/Painting. Yes, I know where Harvard is. It's in the North. Ummm, one of the bread ones. Massachusetts?

Yeah the US government checked when they processed my L1b, then H1b application. I'm glad I got my degree. I think maybe one employer checked but I can't remember.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
A games journalist friend of mine posted that they were reviewing last of us 2. I asked them what they thought of it, and I said judging by the marketing info/leaks it seems it was written by a child and said I loved #1. My friend said they loved #1, and also loved #2. So, maybe we have a good game coming next week.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

bushisms.txt posted:

They're on elden ring and allegedly bb2

This is the first I've heard of this. Googling this, all I see is 'their VR game had some bloodborne easter eggs therefore bloodborne 2 is a thing'.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Trying to figure out the best platform to play Streets of Rage 4 with my friends. My wife and I are here and my friends are in another house. We have both a switch, ps4, PC. I'd be doing couch co-op with my wife and then we'd use something or other to invite them into our game or something? Has anyone here done this?

https://www.co-optimus.com/article/16471/streets-of-rage-4-combo-co-op-trick.html Looks like you can have local couch and 1 extra person from online? We need 2 couch 2 online... And does this mean that the online players need to play on separate pc's?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Looper posted:

has anyone reviewing tlou2 ever played a video game before?

Yeah my friend who reviewed it is really good at video games and a pretty awesome person and she said she loved it.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I've never been a big fan of dogs due to having been bitten a few times by various dogs as a kid, so I'm looking forward to TLOU2.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah it's 2 hours before you get to play in Persona 4. The rest of the game is nothing like that.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Barudak posted:

Magic being broken beyond belief is part of the reason I really didn't like Demon's Souls, but to be honest I should learn by now since it burns me in almost every game because I do not like playing magic users.

I loved demon's souls and the first time I played through it I didn't really use any magic. If you don't like magic users, how did you know magic was OP?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I played about 45 minutes of the last guardian last night, and got out of the first little area, then went along a cliff, into a building, and got the monster through a large doorway into the building. When does it get good? Does it get good? I played ico for a long time (like 6 hours) and never really got into it, it just seems like a slog. Last guardian seems a bit better, but not grabbing me yet.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Just finished TLOU2 without being spoiled (apart from something that happens close to the start) at all. I did this by staying off the internet while I was playing it. My main criticism of it is that I felt like I needed to walk around every room and look in every shelf, I'd walk around hugging one wall, then hug every table/shelf in the middle of the room/etc. Not doing this would have made me miss out on entire skill trees/pieces of equipment/weapons. I got annoyed by being railroaded a few times (if you haven't completely searched a room/area, then you open a door, often you will cutscene-walk through the door and you can't go back through it, so anything you missed in the previous room/area is not gettable any more). So I'm spoiler-marking this but I will keep it vague so it's mostly safe to mouse over: I loved the new character.. I think it was a great game overall, but, I want to play FF7R again on hard, and I did want to as soon as I finished it on normal. I want to play TLOU2 again on a harder difficulty, but, not this year. I can wait.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Khanstant posted:

i think that's only one of the takes i've heard about the game that basically focuses so narrowly on a few minor videogame things about it and ends with a desire for repeating it for the challenge parts of gameplay bits i thought were just glue for the story.

mostly im surprised you apparently played a completionist style but didn't notice or take any points off for the total laughable and unforgiveable shitshow with the state qurters.

I think you're talking to me? I'm unsure about what this means: "total laughable and unforgiveable shitshow with the state qurters." I haven't been reading much about this game online so I don't know what direction the conversation about it has gone. I suspect it's known on SA as "a bad game" now?

I didn't think it was worth posting a nuanced review of what I thought of the plot, because I suspected I'd get a bunch of bad faith replies involving dogs due to my joke a few days ago, and it looks like I did already get one. And yeah overall I thought the plot was good. As one person said in another thread, "it could have ended 4 times already". I definitely feel like there was enough game in there.

edit: I just googled 'tlou2 state quarters' and it seems to be about the coins? They're a collectable, I don't care about getting every collectable for the sake of a trophy. I just didn't want to miss plot points from reading notes, and I was a bit annoyed that I missed a safe in the same area that you pick up a shotgun, as Abbey

edit 2: my fave genres are tactical squad combat and survival horror and TLOU2 is the biggest-budget survival horror game, so it scratched that itch well.

redreader fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 23, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Khanstant posted:

Sorry dude, I was just making a dumb joke. There are apparently some state quarter collectibles in the game but for some reason the state side of them have dates from before state quarters became a thing.

I wasn't trying to make fun of you or grill you about your review at all, but I did mean that I hadn't really seen a review of the game from that specific perspective only, and with your gaming prefs laid out it also makes sense. AFAIK there's no standard forums "take" on the game, still a hot topic I think.

No problem.

Anyway if the thread is willing to engage in good faith discussion here, I'll post about some of the 'hot topics': probably skip over this if you don't want to read spoilers, and just play the game if you liked #1 because it's more of the same and the combat is better.

-Dog murder: there's only one dog in the game that you have to kill, and it attacks you in a small room. Later on you go back in time a couple of days and play as someone else, and pet the dog and play fetch, and help someone else get over their fear of dogs, with that dog. That was a bit depressing and manipulative! Most of the game is not like that. I had read about the "people crying about dogs" in-game and I never encountered that? Normally if there's a person with a dog, they're right next to the dog and they both can be avoided or killed at the same time.

-Trans people: There's one trans person in the game and the main characters All treat the person well with no misgendering or even questioning of his gender identity. He comes from a backwards hosed up old-religion style back-to-nature cult thing, and they try to kill him for it. His sister and the MC treat him well. The game is absolutely not anti-trans/written by chuds and I think handles it pretty tastefully. Disclaimer: I am not trans and if anyone who has played the game disagrees with me, I will listen!

Another comment that I think can't really be made without spoiling: don't read this if you care about the plot! both of the main characters are white and they all have POC companions/friends who more or less, with one exception, ALL DIE. That could definitely have been done like, 10000 times better

I have a friend who said that he hates dad games and will never play TLOU for that reason. This game is not a dad game! If anything it's a Mom game. New character/ending/theme spoiler: Abbey has done what Ellie is setting out to do: get vengeance. She got vengeance on Joel and is now realising she's a poo poo person and trying to redeem herself. Ellie is a loving psycho monster as you see in the boss fight between her and Abbey, and, during the course of the game. Abby gets there, and right at the end maybe, Ellie does too.

In conclusion: Friendship ended with Ellie. Now Abbey is my new best friend

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Loel posted:

Accordion is now taking a break, quote me with the name you are using

Auk

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Playing uncharted 3 and there's this big vibe of

-door slams closed as you're about to run through it
-roof crumbles as you run across it, you jump and catch a pipe, which breaks
-after spending an hour traversing ruins to get a secret thing, the bad guy snatches it out of your hands
-Chase sequence full of people getting in your way, pipes breaking, doors slamming in your face. At the end the bad guy snatches something from you.

I'm mostly enjoying it but it's chock full of gently caress you. At the pirate escape boat section I turned the difficulty down from medium to easy. I hope 4 is a lot better

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Is uncharted 3 really annoying sometimes or is it just me? I'm doing the sinking ship part and I drowned about 15x before I gave up and looked at a walkthrough for that screen, for opening a vent. I then died about 5x at the next section, and am now at a section where it's absolutely unclear where I'm supposed to go and I've jumped to my death maybe 15x so far. The controls seem to be off by 90 degrees for this screen too. It's not very intuitive!

edit: lol he just walked over the giant ballroom and I looked all the way down and said "he's going to fall down into there!" and, guess what!!!!!

redreader fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 29, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
In Uncharted 3, I fell into the ballroom, FROM AN ELEVATOR. I'm powering through! I only have a few hours of play left, chapter 16/22 baby. I'll see why this game was given 90% at some point! Hopefully 4 is a ton better.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
I got onto the roof of a building and it's entirely unclear where I'm supposed to go next! I think my AI partner is having a fight because I hear gunshots. If I try to go down I know 100% I will fall to my death about 10 times before finding the correct place to drop down. This game is not that good!

man nurse posted:

What are you not liking about 3? I personally thought it was a pretty good follow up. 4 is great, it has a good story, a grappling hook, and some pretty open areas and more dynamic combat.

I complained about it yesterday in this thread but there's a constant feeling of climbing and then the thing you climbed on explodes and now you have to climb again but there's something (fire/water) chasing you and you die if you don't smell correctly, which way to climb. At the end of the climb someone shits on you and steals the artifact and knocks you out and throws you to the bottom of the hole and then you have to climb again!

I will get people saying "don't play it then!" NO, I WILL HATE-PLAY IT! (it's not that bad but there's that frustrating thing I just mentioned, and the ship section had a lot of deaths before I could figure out what to do next, and yeah, there's the constant feeling of being poo poo on by the game)

edit: also it's HARD, even on easy. I just replayed a gun section about four times. I am not terrible at games! I finished TLOU2 on normal and TLOU1 on hard!

redreader fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 29, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Rinkles posted:

Iirc, Drake leans out towards the platform you're pointing to if it's a jump he can make

Yes, that's true and pretty helpful. But the part I complained about, you enter a shaft through a door and it's unclear where you're supposed to go, but probably 'up'. It's a straight-up jump so I tried facing back towards the door I just came through, jumping up and nothing happened. then I tried all sorts of jump sideways, across, etc, etc and died about 15 times. then I tied jumping up while pressing the stick back towards the door. There was no forward motion but that is what the game needed me to do, a jump and forward as if I were jumping through the door.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
He got on the plane, was pushed off the plane, climbed back on the plane, fell out of the plane which then exploded. Just let me be on the plane if I climb onto the plane! Don't poo poo on everything I do!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
All right! I'm on chapter 20/22! I'm glad I changed it to easy once I got to the 'captured by pirates' section (chapter 15 I think) because even after turning it down to easy it's harder than the rest of the game on medium. I died about 7 times in the village after the plane crash.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Heartcatch posted:

I'm thinking about picking up Pathfinder: Kingmaker, but I wanted to ask about goon opinions on it.

I do play a lot of management games and a lot of RPG games, so it looks like it might be a good fit, but dang there's a handful of DLC for it.

Don't buy it: It's very, very hard and also when I played it it was full of bugs and there was a 1.5gb patch any time they tried to fix it. I'm not really sure how it is now but I think I've read it's still full of bugs and they're working on the next game instead of fixing this one.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Yeah I don't want to skill-shame but if you play on the easiest difficulty in my experienced you can run right through uncharted games punching all the enemies to death

Fair enough if its set-piece deaths and not combat related but I always felt Uncharted games were super well directed and if you died by taking the wrong jump during a set-piece it'd be obvious and you'd know not to do it again

Yeah I'm afraid I must be bad at these games, I might be playing them the wrong way. I never watch youtube videos of 'how to play' or anything. In fact I have found that sometimes if I get sucked into melee (you can't run away easily) I get shot dead by someone while I'm punching someone else. I generally don't make any mistakes in melee and kill them as fast as possible, but I'll get one-shot-killed from full health by a sniper sometimes, or taken out by an armored guy with a shotgun while I unload into his head, or throw a grenade back but it hits a wall and I explode, or... etc.

edit: I also get flanked and killed, or shot by someone who is on a ledge I just shot and killed someone on, so I turned around to kill the guy who was flanking me, while someone else got onto that ledge, etc etc. I honestly haven't seen a massive difference in difficulty between easy and medium, it's still hard.

edit 2: VVV that's just a video game thing. I try to aim for the head and expect everone to take like 5 shots to kill. It's normal.

redreader fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 29, 2020

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
if anyone feels like seeing how bad I am, I'm silkhorn on psn and you can watch me play when I get back around 10:15am pst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo I just assumed (after, I thought, trying everything) that there was no reload button but there is! That makes things a little easier.

edit: all right, I'm done. A fitting end: I leave the bad guy in a pit and do an escape sequence , climbing up all the time and running full speed. Me: "of course, the bad guy I left below me is in front of me actually". 1 second later, bad guy steps out from in front of me and hits me or whatever, and the final fight starts.

redreader fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 29, 2020