Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Asproigerosis posted:

Oh neat a patient that probably has GBS after getting the j&j slut juice

:gb2gbs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/the_law_boy/status/1381064670782623744?s=21

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Asproigerosis posted:

i think pretty much anything jabbed n juiced can do GBS, at extraordinaire lottery-rates, but yeah that was a real concern given last time america rushed a flu vaccine for that one military fort avian flu outbreak it ended up giving everyone GBS

assuming it's not the tainted jannsen vaccines, i think we'd have heard about more gbs cases by now if it wasn't just an extremely rare thing

Xaris has issued a correction as of 05:20 on Apr 11, 2021

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
edit: Nevermind. Live fast, die young, leave a well-vaccinated corpse.

Accretionist has issued a correction as of 05:31 on Apr 11, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Asproigerosis posted:

they're really good at Photoshop?

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

https://twitter.com/confinedinhell/status/1379890071772401666

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

gradenko_2000 posted:

they're really good at Photoshop?

sounds bad

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lol
think it was some reddit post, but someone got the last jab of a vial and the nurse let the person keep the vial as a keepsake
come booster time imma try and get one myself
if not then, come next booster
if not that one, then the next time i'll surely get it then
if not hell i'll hold out for the covid-22 one

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/komonews/status/1381055649325445127

:qq: think of the businesses :qq:

but not the kids of course

https://mobile.twitter.com/ColeMillerTV/status/1381067649665232896

300 doses due to no shows and cancellations, idk seems bad or maybe let people know more than 1 hour before they close :thunk:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Tzen posted:

lol
think it was some reddit post, but someone got the last jab of a vial and the nurse let the person keep the vial as a keepsake

gently caress there was a tweet about this and I can’t find it now, they got their jar and they said they were gonna bling it and wear it around their neck

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

brugroffil posted:

Didn't it take a few months to eradicate in Australia?

By American standards, Melbourne was in strict, draconian, unbearable lockdown for 8+ months straight. Was a bit of a pain but we came out golden and now I'm on vacation, shitposting from a park bench here and haven't worn a mask in 10 days despite being in close contact with tens of thousands of people.

Had I still been in Vancouver I'd be unemployed since March 2020 and probably foreclosing on my mortgage soon.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

what is the word on taking the Pfizer/Moderna after taking coronavac?

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

By American standards, Melbourne was in strict, draconian, unbearable lockdown for 8+ months straight. Was a bit of a pain but we came out golden and now I'm on vacation, shitposting from a park bench here and haven't worn a mask in 10 days despite being in close contact with tens of thousands of people.

Had I still been in Vancouver I'd be unemployed since March 2020 and probably foreclosing on my mortgage soon.

Or infected with p.1 and on a vent/dead, kind of a range of options in BC right now

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
this is a good watch if you have access to HBO through some means:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NspHkPKzrww

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

mawarannahr posted:

what is the word on taking the Pfizer/Moderna after taking coronavac?

Coronavac before Pfizer, never been wiser
Pfizer before Coronavac, put him in a sack

fischtick
Jul 9, 2001

CORGO, THE DESTROYER

Fun Shoe
Got moderna #2 and I’m ready to kiss strangers on the face and eat 2 for 1 apps at Applebee’s, but I have a kid so it’s situation normal for the next six months.

They stabbed me higher in the arm this time. T+9 hours and I have a pretty sore shoulder but feeling pretty normal otherwise.

Shout out to Tualatin Valley Fire & Rescue for running the event. Nike donated their hq parking garages and I barely had time to fill out forms before it was my turn for the jab. Amazingly efficient.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
Re-enlisted after being shutdown on Thursday for another shot.
Got an appointment after only a couple hours on Friday (via web mail and visiting our county health website), for today (Saturday) mid-day for a Moderna shot, my original desired vaccine that was denied me on Thursday because they "switched it out to J&J." [When they ran out or didn't have enough.]

I showed up on time in the big barn/exhibition room at our County Seat and when I told them I was there for the first shot of Moderna they said that they were holding those for "second shot" folks, as they were afraid that they they would run out.

I had to wait around for about 10 minutes and speak with a "Consultant" for to tell them more then they knew about mRNA, and the science and the fact that I had selected the [x] Moderna shot twice now.

It was brought to another "Consultant" and then they allowed me to get a first shot of Moderna.
So I'm scheduled now for the last day of the month 4/30, to have my second administration.
I don't understand why everything displayed on web screens are inaccurate.
At long last, I'm happy that I have persevered (so far). :raise:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

The trial results for two doses of JnJ can't come soon enough. I'm hopeful it will show a real boost in efficacy.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NspHkPKzrww

If you have HBO and 40 minutes, this is a pretty good short doc on the Diamond Princess, which covers the outbreak from surprisingly good angles, including class.

Some things I wanna add that the doc didn’t

According to Bob Woodward, Fauci knew in January that COVID was airborne and an actual threat.

When the Americans were evacuated, they were met by crews at the airport who weren’t wearing PPE. When news of that got out on February 27, THAT was the day I knew the US was going to be absolutely hosed

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
lol goddamn this Last Cruise show on HBO

all of these cruise people are ghouls holy poo poo

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://apnews.com/article/beijing-immunizations-chengdu-coronavirus-pandemic-china-675bcb6b5710c7329823148ffbff6ef9

BEIJING (AP) — In a rare admission of the weakness of Chinese coronavirus vaccines, the country’s top disease control official says their effectiveness is low and the government is considering mixing them to give them a boost.

Chinese vaccines “don’t have very high protection rates,” said the director of the China Centers for Disease Control, Gao Fu, at a conference Saturday in the southwestern city of Chengdu.

Beijing has distributed hundreds of millions of doses in other countries while also trying to promote doubt about the effectiveness of Western vaccines.

“It’s now under formal consideration whether we should use different vaccines from different technical lines for the immunization process,” Gao said.

The effectiveness rate of a coronavirus vaccine from Sinovac, a Chinese developer, at preventing symptomatic infections has been found to be as low as 50.4% by researchers in Brazil. By comparison, the vaccine made by Pfizer has been found to be 97% effective.

Beijing has yet to approve any foreign vaccines for use in China, where the coronavirus emerged in late 2019.

Gao gave no details of possible changes in strategy but mentioned mRNA, a previously experimental technique used by Western vaccine developers while China’s drug makers used traditional technology.

“Everyone should consider the benefits mRNA vaccines can bring for humanity,” Gao said. “We must follow it carefully and not ignore it just because we already have several types of vaccines already.”

Gao previously raised questions about the safety of mRNA vaccines. He was quoted by the official Xinhua News Agency as saying in December he couldn’t rule out negative side effects because they were being used for the first time on healthy people.

Chinese state media and popular health and science blogs also have questioned the safety and effectiveness of the Pfizer vaccine, which uses mRNA.

As of April 2, some 34 million people have received both of the two doses required by Chinese vaccines and about 65 million received one, according to Gao.

Experts say mixing vaccines, or sequential immunization, might boost effectiveness rates. Trials around the world are looking at mixing of vaccines or giving a booster shot after a longer time period. Researchers in Britain are studying a possible combination of Pfizer and AstraZeneca vaccines.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

looking at last years poo poo,
https://twitter.com/YearCovid/status/1379074595769049090
looking at yesterdays poo poo,

lmao just lmao

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Someone explain Europe’s vaccine situation to me

Pfizer is manufacturing all this vaccine, and is partly headquartered in Europe

Why does Europe not have access to any of this good stuff

What about Johnson & Johnson, which is being manufactured in the Netherlands?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Tzen posted:

looking at last years poo poo,
https://twitter.com/YearCovid/status/1379074595769049090
looking at yesterdays poo poo,

lmao just lmao

the gently caress is going on in Poland

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.

Steve Yun posted:

Someone explain Europe’s vaccine situation to me

Pfizer is manufacturing all this vaccine, and is partly headquartered in Europe

Why does Europe not have access to any of this good stuff

What about Johnson & Johnson, which is being manufactured in the Netherlands?
They make more money exporting it than using it domestically

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://apnews.com/article/beijing-immunizations-chengdu-coronavirus-pandemic-china-675bcb6b5710c7329823148ffbff6ef9

Gao gave no details of possible changes in strategy but mentioned mRNA, a previously experimental technique used by Western vaccine developers while China’s drug makers used traditional technology.

“Everyone should consider the benefits mRNA vaccines can bring for humanity,” Gao said. “We must follow it carefully and not ignore it just because we already have several types of vaccines already.”
hahaha, china is gonna ignore ip and copy a mrna vax.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

jetz0r posted:

they are morally obligated to steal this IP to end this sooner

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

jetz0r posted:

of course they are, it's win win for them to do that
they end up with a mrna covid vaccine not only for themselves but also to distribute out to the global south and their neighbours in a show of friendship

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
China making bootleg Pfizer may well be my only chance of getting it, so more powerful to them if they're gonna try

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Shipon posted:

yep

i mean, they'll probably end up "buying" the rights with an unrefusable offer for pfizer to build a plant in china, unless they've already learned how to make it through espionage

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Aussies are going to be banned from visiting NZ before the travel bubble even opens

https://twitter.com/smh/status/1381170994115702786?s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/Joseph_Morong/status/1381178132133261314
https://twitter.com/Joseph_Morong/status/1381192835890884609

so they're allowing for outdoor dining and relaxing the curfew hours, that must mean cases are going down, right?

OPEN ER UP!!!

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

so they're allowing for outdoor dining and relaxing the curfew hours, that must mean cases are going down, right?

OPEN ER UP!!!

looks like you're PAST THE PEAK BABY!

time to relax and treat yourself

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Shipon posted:

it shouldn't even need to stolen, it was developed under govt grants from top to bottom, pfizer is just the profiteer at the end of chain

"Could you patent the sun?"

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

gradenko_2000 posted:

OPEN ER UP!!!

Clearly they have hit a peak and are about to start going down and people should go out to dinner to celebrate.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Beaten, but I will not edit.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

ho fan posted:

that doesn’t seem to be true so far

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states

positive percentage somewhat stable around 5%

that’s not to say I don’t think the variants could have a big impact, they obviously could. I just don’t think we have a lot of good information yet on how vaccinations/previous infection/new mutations interact with each other

As fosborb mentioned positive test being "constant" (actually rising), doesn't mean the number of cases aren't increasing if people change behavior. I posted this two days ago, but for your benefit here it is again:

https://wcyb.com/news/local/local-covid-19-hospitalizations-surge-among-unvaccinated-exceeding-fall-peak posted:

Local COVID-19 hospitalizations surge among unvaccinated, exceeding fall peak

JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. — Local hospitals are reopening more COVID-19 wards as a troubling fourth wave of cases hits our region.

Hospitalizations shot up dramatically, doubling from a low of 60 three weeks ago, and now up 30 percent in just one day to nearly 130.

Ballad Health COVID-19 hospitalizations through April 7, 2021. (WCYB Graphic)

Health experts are surprised it's increased so fast. Cases haven't risen nearly as much.

“There is far more disease in our community than the positive cases are picking up,” Ballad Health chief infection prevention officer Jamie Swift said. “I think people aren't getting tested. I think there's a lot of people that assume their symptoms are related to allergies.”

New COVID-19 cases each day for Carter, Greene, Hancock, Hawkins, Johnson, Sullivan, Unicoi and Washington Counties in Tennessee; Buchanan, Dickenson, Lee, Russell, Scott, Smyth, Tazewell, Washington and Wise Counties and the cities of Bristol and Norton in Virginia; and Harlan, Leslie and Letcher Counties in Kentucky. Red line is the 14-day moving average. Yellow line is Ballad Health's recommended level to control the spread: an average of 5 new cases per day per 100,000 people over the last 14 days. (WCYB Graphic)

Ballad Health now projects a peak around 160 hospitalizations. We've already surpassed the fall surge, but with 20 percent of the region fully vaccinated, Ballad officials don't expect it to be nearly as bad as during the winter.

It's younger people who just became eligible for the shots fueling the rise. The unvaccinated and people in between their first and second dose are now getting sick.

“We've got 30 year olds, 40 year olds, 50 year olds, 60 year olds in the hospital this week,” Swift said.

Ballad chief operating officer Eric Deaton said Monday he’s worried whether nurses can handle the additional stress and trauma.

“We have activated our behavioral health units to continue to meet with our team members on a weekly basis to understand if they're having any burnout or other issues,” Deaton said.

Health officials said this surge is mostly due to spring break trips and people largely no longer wearing masks.

Just 30 percent of our region has taken at least the first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, and demand is down in Northeast Tennessee. It pushed the Tri-Cities vaccination rate to drop below the national rate for the first time Thursday.

Health experts hope it's a wake-up call to get more people vaccinated.

“If they see the numbers, if they realize, 'I need to make the time. This needs to be a priority. I need to get my vaccine,' we really can turn this around,” Swift said.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Iowa's at about 37% first shot and I don't think we're hitting a wall yet on vaccines because the major cities/blue areas of the state are still tracking at the same percentage of jabs as the overall state numbers. Once they start to pull ahead by a few percentage points then I think that'll be a sign that we're petering out.

I clearly underestimated the percentage of people that are happy to get jabbed but only if it is made extremely convenient for them to do so, though. I feel like that's turning out to be a good third of adults. They're waiting for a clinic to pull up to their work or for it to be available as a walk in at the pharmacy and poo poo like a normal flu shot.

Thoguh has issued a correction as of 13:58 on Apr 11, 2021

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I think you're mistaken - I've been repeatedly assured that better things aren't possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
They're not even bad.

Just the most vivid god drat dreams.