Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Well, being on the downslope was fun while it lasted. Good thing the governor is forcing school districts to send students back in to classrooms now that COVID is over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I guess it wouldn't matter if I got it anyway because I could just switch which room I'm working in every 14 minutes and then it wouldn't spread. legally.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

We were worried about the UK Strain and the SA Strain, but in the end America will be destroyed by the Q Strain

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

a storm surge is coming

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
here is me at work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzfsfYnuc8c

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

https://twitter.com/amarfrd/status/1347437671019204609

:rip: your animes

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Good news! It's been 11 months, and only now are we finally rolling out asymptomatic saliva tests for employees at work. You can make an appointment to go down and get tested!

Except the results won't be available until 48 hours later! And testing is currently only available 1 day a week, on Mondays.

I work for a massive academic research hospital that also serves the indigent/state medicaid patient population of the region. We have the resources to fly to the moon if we wanted to, yet it's almost like we don't want employees to get tested...?

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

crepeface posted:

since we're doom cross-quoting:

[COVID-19] Horrid, bad, still not enough: this is the way

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Shifty Pony posted:

"is it ok if I send every kid with symptoms to have an in person chat with the superintendent as long as they keep it to 14:58?"

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

SKULL.GIF posted:

does circulated air from a fan increase or decrease the speed at which the 15 minutes ticks?

if you draftmog a positive case in the hallways does that count as exposure?

does uncirculated air in a place like the bathroom count as exposure? like if a positive case is in the bathroom and leaves how long does it take before the air officially uncontaminates?

too bad draftmogging never took off

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Wow it turns out doing absolutely nothing except asking people to wear masks won't stop a loving pandemic!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

wonder if the generation of children who spent their middle school years running active shooter drills and their high school years dropping dead from the plague are gonna be radicalized at all. lol.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Paradoxish posted:

Wow it turns out doing absolutely nothing except asking people to wear masks won't stop a loving pandemic!

theyre also very shy and quiet

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

wonder if the generation of children who spent their middle school years running active shooter drills and their high school years dropping dead from the plague are gonna be radicalized at all. lol.

the teens i have this year are depressed tarkov addicts on twitter suspension for death threating terfs

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

no one has mentioned that we're above 800,000 cases daily worldwide now

the coveted 1 million mark approaches...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

In Training posted:

slightly more readable version:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1347860038661140483.html

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

It is pretty wild that a whole bunch of maskless right wing virus deniers all got on airplanes and converged on the capitol building for a few hours and then congress went back inside and immediately called recess afterwards and everyone went home. Like if you were going to design a bio attack to be as disruptive as possible in the era of COVID and spread it to as many different places as possible it's hard to imagine a better plan.

California looks like they will break 1,000 deaths/day any day now.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Pingui posted:

You can't spell divorce without covid.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

MorrisBae posted:

I almost broke down and hooked up with someone on Christmas, but thought better of it

Thought they ghosted me...turns out they have COVID!

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Rasczak posted:

heh alright so we sell yarn (both natural fiber and synthetic), knitting needles & crochet hooks, roving & drop spindles, weaving looms, yarn bowls, and a poo poo ton of other accessories (stitch markers, tapestry needles, etc)

“best” is pretty subjective, however cashmere is expensive and also super soft so possibly that? while 100% cashmere would probably be prohibitively expensive for most projects, something like a MCN (merino cashmere nylon) blend would be a somewhat more practical choice for your typical project

im going to buy the blend eat it

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

COV19 the ultimate Cockblockula

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=watch

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy

Pingui posted:

You can't spell divorce without covid.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Real hurthling! posted:

the teens i have this year are depressed tarkov addicts on twitter suspension for death threating terfs

A definite improvement over the teens we had when I was growing up.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Lovelyn posted:

Can I be the bonghitz of animal pics

please untimg the animal pics, destroy the scrollwheels

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

fermun posted:

new page cat tax

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

fosborb posted:

half a million cubic feet of americans have died of covid so far

for point of reference, thats the part shaded in purple:

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Have no Fear CSPAM, our superstar Jeb! is safe from COV19...

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
please inoculate

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

FizFashizzle posted:

At the rural level no.

Healthcare as an industry has moved away from a model where treating rural populations is profitable. Healthcare money right now is in elective procedures. These are all done in major cities, or at larger regional hospitals. Being a hospital/urgent care that just manages diabetes can't survive. All these hospitals are simply acting as urgent cares, meaning they're sending things off to larger hospitals. They don't make any money. And once this infrastructure is gone, it's gone.

In Jamestown, Tennessee, the hospital has closed. I did a rotation at the family care across the street. The town is one of the poorest in america with a population over like 10k or whatever. One of the biggest expenditures in the town is keeping THE ACTUAL BUILDING FUNCTIONING in the hopes that someone comes in and opens it back up. That means they're just going in and like making sure the pipes haven't burst, or that the mold hasn't gotten too bad, or that the elevators are still up to inspection. They're doing that just so they HAVE a hospital that can be reponed. And this is a town where the only source of money coming in is from medicare. The only jobs are in healthcare, and they're mostly low level; home aides and CNAs.

While I was at that urgent care, I had a patient come in with just a MASSIVE loving heart attack. Like, just the biggest heart attack you've ever seen. We got IV access, we had morphine for some reason, and threw him a NTG tablet. Then waited 20 minutes for an ambulance from Crossville, that then had to take him down there because it's the closet cath lab. I doubt that dude lived.

Had another girl whos foot was rotting off from a brown recluse bite. Like not exaggerating, foot is rotting off. She was only coming in so she could get free samples of her COPD inhalers. She could not take time off work (home aid) to go to wound care to get her bite debrided. She will lose her foot. There was no wound care clinic near enough to her. Again, the closets is in Crossville. And wound care clinics are loving free money.

Couple towns over is Selina. I slept in a converted doctors lounge there while I completed my surgery rotation. That hospital has also closed, but some guy who is a complete scam artist is trying to reopen it. I mean he's a nice guy, don't get me wrong, but he's a scam artist. No idea where the gently caress he got his money. like this place has a CT and a lab somehow, but no cath lab or anything like that.

Clay County is roughly 8k people, all miserably unhealthy, that all work at like a chicken plant or something. The only thing open is the ER, and this is staffed by one travel nurse and one travel doc. Or it was at the time, just googling it now it says its closed.

Once all this is gone, it's gone. And the states can't afford to keep this open. People have been poisoned for too long by GOP rhetoric. They see these hospitals closing, they KNOW it's bad, but they just can't wrap their heads around a better way.

yeah we poo poo on the olds, and they're loving awful. but they have no idea how bad things are. they get their medicare, they get their social security, they get poisoned by fox news, and they do the same thing every day they've been doing for twenty years. hate them, sure. but they're also the only source of income for these towns. like once they finally die off, Jamestown tennessee is gone. Selina Tennessee is gone. And they will never come back.

And the worst, the loving worst, is the younger people trapped in these town. It is loving heart breaking. There is nothing coming to help them, and if they didn't thread the needle perfectly in high school and get out for college, there's nothing. All they have left is drug addiction. And it's worse for the women.

the most depressing thing I saw while I was there was at the CVS across from Selina regional. I became friendly with the two women who worked there every single day. There were never any other customers. All they wanted me to do was just to tell them about Knoxville. Imagine how poo poo life is when you're enamored by that poo poo hole. One night I went in just to buy a six pack of PBR to get drunk on by myself and they just straight up asked me for one. I sat there drinking PBR at the CVS counter with two other people in their 20s who looked like they were in their 40s.

This is a rant and I've lost the thread a little bit. It loving breaks my heart when I'm in these towns. we poo poo on all these people because of who they vote for but they're just in hopeless situations. they're my loving people and i have no idea what to do for them. like they're all just loving dying in front of me.

im in a posh little resort town called asheville now. I drive thirty minutes in any direction and the only difference between now and depression era Appalachia is they all have flat screens

to answer your question it would take a massive federal program on the scale of the New Deal or TVA.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Pryor on Fire posted:

It is pretty wild that a whole bunch of maskless right wing virus deniers all got on airplanes and converged on the capitol building for a few hours and then congress went back inside and immediately called recess afterwards and everyone went home. Like if you were going to design a bio attack to be as disruptive as possible in the era of COVID and spread it to as many different places as possible it's hard to imagine a better plan.

California looks like they will break 1,000 deaths/day any day now.

Baked Alaska was livestreaming as he broke into the Capitol building and was ransacking senator's offices. He's currently COVID positive and he was licking their phones and stuff.

https://twitter.com/WANaziWatch/status/1346911916480884736

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rasczak posted:

heh alright so we sell yarn (both natural fiber and synthetic), knitting needles & crochet hooks, roving & drop spindles, weaving looms, yarn bowls, and a poo poo ton of other accessories (stitch markers, tapestry needles, etc)

“best” is pretty subjective, however cashmere is expensive and also super soft so possibly that? while 100% cashmere would probably be prohibitively expensive for most projects, something like a MCN (merino cashmere nylon) blend would be a somewhat more practical choice for your typical project

I'm going to need some yarn soon; can you drop the shop's URL so I can see if there's stuff you have I can use?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/PopCrave/status/1347968715300757511?s=09

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

BONGHITZ posted:

fosborb posted:

half a million cubic feet of americans have died of covid so far

for point of reference, thats the part shaded in purple:

outdated stats. up to 650,000 cubic ft of dead Americans now

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What are you assuming the average volume of an American is?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gripweed posted:

Very loud

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Gripweed posted:

lol yeah probably gonna have to adjust upward

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Elon musk dying soon after becoming the wealthiest man in history would be incredible.