Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

jetz0r posted:

WHY THE gently caress AM I GETTING JURY SUMMONS DURING A PANDEMIC

jury trials should be abolished even before a pandemic but doubly so now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

my in-laws (who are both over 70) were told by their primary doctor to just drive around and get on any wait lists they can.

so they've just been driving around Lacey/Olympia area drug stores and asking if there is a wait list for senior citizens. seems cool.

Of course, lmao. Guess I'll just stay in the immediate vicinity of my home for another six months. And correction, my in-laws do not have an appointment because they live in a different county than my mom and her husband. Serious shitshow.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Speaking of legal systems, this came up in a news feed in Denmark:

quote:

Imprisonment in closed prisons are starting again, and rape convicts are in the front row

Convicted in cases of violence, rape and weapons, and who are at large, are at the forefront of the queue when remanded in prison in closed prisons.

The Danish Prison and Probation Service states that they start with the more serious crimes in order to avoid an excessive "imprisonment hump".

On 10 December, the Danish Prison and Probation Service introduced a so-called "imprisonment stop", where, due to the danger of corona infection, they stopped summoning convicts at large for imprisonment.

It is now believed that it may be possible to convene to a limited extent in a "health safe manner".

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

jetz0r posted:

lock er up

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

jetz0r posted:

you got hit too? lmao

mine is for civil trials, so it isn't even about the public safety

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

jetz0r posted:

wasn't too bad to use the website to exempt myself out

how did you exempt yourself out? i didn't qualify so i have to jump through some hoops

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

jetz0r posted:

covid is the sneak peak for global warming

Not an original sentiment, but covid made it clear we're going to fail completely at addressing climate change. Our society wasn't able to deal with a much smaller and easier crisis, any hope that we might somehow collectively deal with a problem orders of magnitude harder just evaporated this past year. A real crack ping for me.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Pingui posted:

Speaking of legal systems, this came up in a news feed in Denmark:

newly-convicted rapists roam free in denmark because prisons are so unsafe while people in the u.s. are getting locked up for not being able to afford rent lmao

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Judakel posted:

how did you exempt yourself out? i didn't qualify so i have to jump through some hoops

I have some unexpected unpaid childcare obligations coming up. No receipts required, duty was marked as ended immediately.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/0ddette/status/1348684778510426125

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

horny is prohibited

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Forums dieing Cloud.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/ChannelNewsAsia/status/1348812213025349636?s=19

We now have an emergency in Malaysia :shepface:

At least the angry coalition partner of the current gov won't force an election on us before vaccine distribution (targeted in February) but Jesus Christ

Also the people who wanted an election made the incredibly weird statement that "lining up to vote is just like lining up to buy groceries" which got them so much scorn they stopped talking about it for 48 hours. Why are our officials so gd dumb

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Arizona Then and Now:

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
https://twitter.com/charleswrites/status/1348291069319000066

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Thoguh posted:

Was it a fishtank or that guys coffee pot that was the first online Webcam? I remember both from the early 90s. They'd refresh a grainy rear end picture like once every five minutes.

It was a coffee pot in the lounge of some university math building. Dude got tired of walking down three floors and the length of the building only to find some dipshit had taken the last cup without refilling the pot.

Ah, academics. Never change!

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Judakel posted:

you got hit too? lmao

I got the standby summons thing for a week in October but was super lucky that they only called 3 jury groups a day. My number was high enough that I was like 2 groups away from the friday afternoon cutoff and didnt have to go in

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Antonymous posted:

like a lot of American conceptions - the DMV is bad in LA, so writers for shows use that experience and assume it just applies broadly to wherever their show is set, and to whatever audience it is broadcast, and so then every American thinks the DMV sucks

lol this is so true. I've lived in a bunch of states including broke rear end ones like Oklahoma and the only one with a lovely dmv is California. I have no idea how they work because you have these giant buildings full of people working but a slow trickle of customers being served. Which is especially weird since California is one of the few states I've lived where they don't just hand you the ID there. It's sent from Sacramento.

I think also when people complain about government bureaucracy and inefficiency this is what they are thinking of despite it being some sorta bizarre CA thing

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
How do you know you're being safe enough? I never leave the house, and cook in 5 - 6 days of the week, but got shouted down to get delivery, take-away but I refuse to go. I always wear a mask, I wash my hands before and after touching anything from outside. I don't get groceries unless I'm already leaving the house to get my medication, basically tying the two trips together. Everyone in the house is WFH, and Mom is the one who wants take-out / delivery, so she's in charge of getting it. My wife is a Covid scientist, and gets checked every other day. Is there anything else I can do to minimize infection? Our Dad has really weak lungs, and I'm worried that the take-away / delivery food is going to kill him.

How many trips to the grocery store in a month is too much? We go to Costco and buy things in bulk so that there's significantly less trips, we also have a huge chest freezer we fill with as much as we can to lengthen grocery store trips.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Boba Pearl posted:

How do you know you're being safe enough? I never leave the house, and cook in 5 - 6 days of the week, but got shouted down to get delivery, take-away but I refuse to go. I always wear a mask, I wash my hands before and after touching anything from outside. I don't get groceries unless I'm already leaving the house to get my medication, basically tying the two trips together. Everyone in the house is WFH, and Mom is the one who wants take-out / delivery, so she's in charge of getting it. My wife is a Covid scientist, and gets checked every other day. Is there anything else I can do to minimize infection? Our Dad has really weak lungs, and I'm worried that the take-away / delivery food is going to kill him.

How many trips to the grocery store in a month is too much? We go to Costco and buy things in bulk so that there's significantly less trips, we also have a huge chest freezer we fill with as much as we can to lengthen grocery store trips.

You're already doing better than 99.99% of people. As in, if you keep all of that up, your biggest concerns should be things like traffic accidents and heart disease. Covid is not that dangerous on an individual level, even in vulnerable groups. The danger has always been at the population level because it spreads so readily.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Boba Pearl posted:

if you're already doing all of that and you don't miss, then you're doing well

some things to think about :

* don't pick up your deliveries with the delivery-person still there, to minimize contact
* if you ever go on a grocery run and the grocery looks like there's too many people in it, either bail and go another time, or go somewhere else
* in general, if you're anywhere and people aren't wearing masks, bail

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

Boba Pearl posted:

How do you know you're being safe enough?

i personally roll a six-sided die each morning. if it's a 1, i don't go out. if it's 2-5 i go out with a full respirator. if it's a 6 i'm immune for the day and i blow lines with the cooks at applebees

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Boba Pearl posted:

Isolation and coming out only to restock (with as long as possible in between) is the best measure you can take and you're already taking it, although it sounds like others in your household might not isolate as much, so you only have limited control. Washing everything that comes through your front door in soap and water is another measure that I personally take and might help remove that last 1% of risk. For us, of course, this has meant learning to cook nearly all of our own food.

But there are additional measures that could compound your safety level profoundly:

- Wearing a mask that is engineered to form a complete seal, unlike what almost everyone else is wearing. Think of a mask for keeping out gasses/solvents rather than merely for blocking "most" particulates. Even N95 masks leak around the sides quite a bit; you can see right down into them in the corners! You want to buy an elastomeric cartridge-based respirator, like what OSHA has been regulating in the workplace for decades rather than some home-spun solution (that the richest country in the world somehow expects of you rather than providing you anything better). Standard cartridge respirator kits cost as little as $40 on eBay, they press to your face quite firmly and form an unbroken seal using rubber or silicone. As a bonus, they have so much filter substrate that they will never clog or wear out in normal situations. You can re-use them indefinitely, which is much more economical than N95s in bulk. Strangers will occasionally react to someone wearing one of these in various ways, often to cover up their fear that they're under-protected themselves, but they're very standard industrial tools so don't worry about it.

- Taking Vitamin D3 in high dosage every day with fatty meals so your body actually absorbs it (https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25441954/) . Increasing numbers of independent studies are finding that vitamin D levels determine which type of COVID you wind up with if infected. For a list of those studies, follow the links in this post:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3926175&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3433#post510732302

A publication in Nature says that COVID has 3% death rate without Vitamin D deficiency, 21% with:
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-77093-z

- Calling a pharmacy ASAP and requesting an MMR booster. Double check that they're using the MMR-II variety. Hopefully you're in a state where they don't ask for a reason so you don't have to know which ones are valid. You want this booster even if you already had MMR as a child.

Certain immunizations change your immune system forever in a way that apparently makes all the difference, even without targeting COVID specifically. Increasing numbers of independent studies are finding that mumps vaccine blood titer levels determine precisely which type of COVID you wind up with if infected. Follow the below links for more:

quote:

https://mbio.asm.org/content/11/6/e02628-20
An observational study that noticed everyone's COVID symptom type exactly matched up with their MMR blood titer levels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdAPgglDJAU
Review of the above study by Dr. John Campbell

https://www.koreabiomed.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=10121
"Professor offers MMR vaccine as ‘silver bullet’ against Covid-19"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUwzb7FGsEc
Could the MMR Vaccine Protect Against COVID-19? Global Trial Enrolls Healthcare Workers to Find Out

- Being foreign and having a childhood BCG vaccination. Follow the link to this recent post for some of the newest evidence that it helps:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3926175&pagenumber=3427&perpage=40#post510725241

Unlike the various new COVID vaccines, MMR/BCG are extremely well understood including in the long-term because they've been in use on nearly everyone for generations. They're also far more obtainable without running into the distribution fuckups of the new vaccines, which will not end anytime soon.

- Other possible things that impact COVID prognosis that haven't been studied enough. People have brought up nicotine (which binds to ACE2 receptors) and all sorts of other potential prophylactics that don't involve a vaccine. These might exist, we just don't have the benefit of knowing yet.

- Knowing what to do if you actually get infected so you can act right away and hopefully not need hospitalization (which you likely will die before receiving as hospitals get overwhelmed). Here's a post on care for early-COVID progression:

facetoucher cat posted:

Pulse odometer so you can monitor 02 levels, think sleeping on your stomach is still recommended, making sure you stay hydrated and are eating as well as you're able, if you have a doctor touch base with them of course, I've got a blood pressure cuff as heart issues are something else to monitor, if you've not started a health journal I'd recommend that so you have data on how your situation is progressing- sometimes remembering what happened when is difficult in the best of times. I hate saying what medication people should take but acetaminophen for the fever and famotidine for the reflux obvs not if you're sensitive to either. If your throat gets bad gargle with salt water and drink soothing stuff, cold/hot, whatever your preference is. There are breathing exercises to do that should help recovery: https://www.lung.org/lung-health-diseases/wellness/breathing-exercises
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-recovery-breathing-exercises

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 04:48 on Jan 12, 2021

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

jetz0r posted:

I got out of mine in March or April or "back then" but all courts were closed due to the lockdown

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Pingui posted:

Christmas mass?

is that the one where everyone in the church shares a cup of lovely wine?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Happy Thread posted:

- Taking Vitamin D3 in high dosage every day with fatty meals so your body actually absorbs it.

haha gently caress YES you're the man Happy Thread

I'm only eating KFC for my own safety

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

crepeface posted:

is that the one where everyone in the church shares a cup of lovely wine?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GOLW0Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JFr.Fb9M0NPEK

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

gradenko_2000 posted:

Oh I forgot to include the link for that:

Take Vitamin D with fatty meal to ensure absorption:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25441954/

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Huh, I thought the forums were dead but it is just the Awful App.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm set. Made homemade brownies with homemade special dark chocolate cream cheese frosting lightly sprinkled with kosher salt

Also my phone knows what's up

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Boba Pearl posted:

i know im being safe eating at indoor restaurants because it wouldnt be open if it wasnt safe.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Happy Thread posted:

Oh I forgot to include the link for that:

Take Vitamin D with fatty meal to ensure absorption:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/25441954/

don't take so much Vitamin D that you give yourself kidney stones though

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

bedpan posted:

How much is enough to give you kidney stones?

Exodus1984
Feb 18, 2005

Eastern Europe Episode IV: A New Hope. I love President Volodymyr Zelenskyy. I understand and appreciate the precarious position the Ukrainians are navigating. I wish I could set up a 401(UA) fund from my paycheck to directly contribute my earnings to Ukraine's success.

Judakel posted:

you got hit too? lmao

Here in Minnesota, there is a significant backlog of civil jury trials, and, at least in the metro, good luck with a criminal jury trial. One of the biggest hurdles is getting the people in to courtrooms and dealing with social distancing. I'd give it another 3-6 months before the courts figure out a way to do make this process streamlined.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

it is also very helpful to time your shopping when the store is as empty as possible. the threat isn't places, it is the people in those places. doing grocery runs M-W-F at a time where the store is almost deserted like 8:30AM is likely safer than a single Saturday afternoon shopping trip. going to Costco is probably not the best idea, aren't those always insanely busy?

if you must go grocery shopping on the weekend, I've always found Sunday morning to be the best time around here. probably because the stores can't sell any alcohol so anyone who wants to get beer or wine isn't going to be doing their shopping.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

bedpan posted:

Oh yeah, start drinking club soda to help you consume enough carbonates (?) to offset that (or just keep drinking soda if you still do, although now is a really lovely time to develop tooth disease)

durrneez
Feb 20, 2013

I like fish. I like to eat fish. I like to brush fish with a fish hairbrush. Do you like fish too?
costco on a weekday before closing is pretty empty

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Boba Pearl posted:

We get food delivered 1-2 times a week without incident. No contact delivery, transfer food from containers to plates and liberal washing of hands. Don't do take away though, gently caress that. We've got a Chinese restaurant that gives a metric fuckton of food when you order, the value is amazing.

And yeah absolutely plan ahead and minimize grocery store trips.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Thoguh posted:

How much is enough to give you kidney stones?

RDA on vitamin D is 15mcg/600 IU. D is fat soluble so your body isn't as good at removing excess amounts of it. Try to avoid taking more than 200mcg of supplemental vitamin d a day. You do have to work at giving yourself kidney stones but people are doing it right now by eating handfuls of vitamin d capsules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

it is also very helpful to time your shopping when the store is as empty as possible. the threat isn't places, it is the people in those places. doing grocery runs M-W-F at a time where the store is almost deserted like 8:30AM is likely safer than a single Saturday afternoon shopping trip. going to Costco is probably not the best idea, aren't those always insanely busy?

if you must go grocery shopping on the weekend, I've always found Sunday morning to be the best time around here. probably because the stores can't sell any alcohol so anyone who wants to get beer or wine isn't going to be doing their shopping.

if you're lucky enough to live near 24 hour groceries I've been doing my shopping during the 1am - 4am time slot and it's heavenly.