Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005
concern trolling about 72% vs 95% symptomatic (with both completely eliminating severe hospitalizations) leads to poo poo like cuomo "means testing" it by levying harsh penalties on people who misallocate doses

any barrier you put up in distributing doses prolongs this pandemic and leads to more deaths. you're putting up barriers by whining about how we need to make sure it's "equitable". we need shots in arms, period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Shipon posted:

concern trolling about 72% vs 95% symptomatic (with both completely eliminating severe hospitalizations) leads to poo poo like cuomo "means testing" it by levying harsh penalties on people who misallocate doses

any barrier you put up in distributing doses prolongs this pandemic and leads to more deaths. you're putting up barriers by whining about how we need to make sure it's "equitable". we need shots in arms, period.

I mean it should be equitable, but talking poo poo about a protective and effective vaccine isn't helping things be more equitable. If you take a vaccine and you throw it into a racist society, yes, problem fall out of that but the solution isn't to not have more vaccines or tell people that its a 'worse' vaccine or to suggest its not effective.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
you can only be 3/4 as slutty after you get this juice

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

I've got a weird feeling about this Bill Gates guy. Does anyone have more background on him?

I used a product from Bill Gates once and BAM! I got a virus. Many such cases!

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

free college, free healthcare, free Shmurda

Steve Yun posted:

you can only be 3/4 as slutty after you get this juice

this is eugenics

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/1365862296153636864?s=20

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I heard Bill Gates invented the internet so he can control the world with his nanomachine plague and become Google.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

endlessmonotony posted:

I heard Bill Gates invented the internet so he can control the world with his nanomachine plague and become Google.

You're thinking of Al Gore, Bill Gates invented 5g

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

at one point in the pandemic the gates foundation was in possession of literal billions of cotton swabs

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Slippery Nipple posted:

at one point in the pandemic the gates foundation was in possession of literal billions of cotton swabs

Where do you think that fake snow in Texas came from?

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Fun Shoe

endlessmonotony posted:

lol bill gates missed out on being google because he thought the internet was a fad

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

ram dass in hell posted:

Idk i haven't gotten any colds or flus or sinus infections for a year, which has literally never happened in my adult life before, so I'm gonna be wiping down my groceries and stuff for the rest of my life IMO

Did you get made remote by any chance?

Because the change in my health when I stopped working in an office was crazy. My doctor thought I had died because I wasn't coming in twice a year anymore for massive sinus infections.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Spergin Morlock posted:

lol bill gates missed out on being google because he thought the internet was a fad

Well, yeah, he destroyed the Statue of Liberty to catch up.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Shipon posted:

It's not concern trolling to be aware that is a big difference and realize the J&J vaccine is 100% gonna be used in a way that hits already disadvantaged people. Nobody is saying they should toss all the J&J shots in the bin or something.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Thoguh posted:

It's not concern trolling to be aware that is a big difference and realize the J&J vaccine is 100% gonna be used in a way that hits already disadvantaged people. Nobody is saying they should toss all the J&J shots in the bin or something.

Nice av. Someone being real loving clueless huh?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Thoguh posted:

Disadvantaged people getting a life saving vaccine ah yes of course, textbook oppression

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

endlessmonotony posted:

Bill Gates is the guy who made his fortune through illegal business practices and gave the world blue screens of death. He is also the guy who, after his wife popped out their first kid, decided he was suddenly such an expert at child-rearing that it warranted writing a book on the subject. He also hosed up our education system even worse than it was so that standardized testing companies could make bank on gifting. But he's rich, so people literally worship him. The only difference between him and Elon Musk is that he doesn't have a drug problem, afaik.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

smoobles posted:

Disadvantaged people getting a life saving vaccine ah yes of course, textbook oppression

If it turns out that the less effective vaccine ends up primarily in disadvantaged communities then yes, absolutely, and I don't understand how you can even make an argument otherwise.

That hasn't actually happened yet so we're getting a little bit ahead of ourselves here, but come on.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

smoobles posted:

More like echos of 'separate but equal', where the equal part wasn't really. Still, I'll take any and all vaccines.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Buttchocks posted:

Bill Gates is the guy who made his fortune through illegal business practices and gave the world blue screens of death. He is also the guy who, after his wife popped out their first kid, decided he was suddenly such an expert at child-rearing that it warranted writing a book on the subject. He also hosed up our education system even worse than it was so that standardized testing companies could make bank on gifting. But he's rich, so people literally worship him. The only difference between him and Elon Musk is that he doesn't have a drug problem, afaik.

You have a single fact to back that up?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Thoguh posted:

Taking all the complexity of a vaccine and combining it with all the complexity of immune system, and then distilling it down into a single number isn't helpful in understanding the quality of a vaccine or what it means for people who receive it.

Consider a vaccine which is 0% effective but eliminates severe and chronic disease completely vs one that is 99% effective but the remaining 1% who get ill die. Do you want the 99% one or the 0% one?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

endlessmonotony posted:

Nice av. Someone being real loving clueless huh?

Somebody in YLLS said they were going to a COVID free wedding.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

endlessmonotony posted:

Google it yourself. Everything I say about Bill Gates is just as authoritative as anything coming out of his mouth.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Thoguh posted:

Somebody in YLLS said they were going to a COVID free wedding.

Give me a COVID-free wedding or :theroni:.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Taking all the complexity of a vaccine and combining it with all the complexity of immune system, and then distilling it down into a single number isn't helpful in understanding the quality of a vaccine or what it means for people who receive it.

Consider a vaccine which is 0% effective but eliminates severe and chronic disease completely vs one that is 99% effective but the remaining 1% who get ill die. Do you want the 99% one or the 0% one?

As far as I know, both vaccines are effective at preventing severe illness, but the mRNA vaccines are significantly more effective at preventing illness in general. That seems like a fairly straightforward case that one is better than the other, unless there are some other factors I'm not aware of. It's not helpful to talk about hypotheticals when the data for these vaccines is available.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

endlessmonotony posted:

Give me a COVID-free wedding or :theroni:.

Actually I was wrong the wedding is COVID proof.

Martian posted:

Downside of losing weight: I have a (small-scale, covid-proof) wedding this week, and it turns out my old suits are way too big now...

All shops here are closed because of covid, too, so now I have to buy a suit online and pray it fits!

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
Remember this?

https://twitter.com/YearCovid/status/1365641330622300162?s=19

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

endlessmonotony posted:

A reference for one part of this - Bill Gates is a huge proponent of charter schools which notoriously have worse outcomes while ensuring that they dont have any disabled kids pulling skewing their scores and picking from kids who's parents actually give a poo poo.

https://apnews.com/article/92dc914dd97c487a9b9aa4b006909a8c

Serf
May 5, 2011

smh we’ve fallen so far that people can’t recognize a deus ex quote

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

endlessmonotony posted:

that Gates doesn't have a drug problem? no

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

Gates looks good when you compare him to Bezos, Thiel, Musk etc. but he's still a shithead american oligarch who for some reason has a big hand in our pandemic response despite just being a computer nerd who hit it big

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I tried to watch this show called A Glitch in the Matrix and within 10 minutes they showed a clip of Musk going "i believe we live in a simulation and [because I'm the hero of my story]", and then it hit me that almost everything all these talking heads have to say claiming we are in a simulation is so self-important and selfish. that the fact we are now in a pandemic killing millions of people and forcing untold numbers of people to change their lifestyles, mostly for the worse, and destroying tons of countries' political and economic infrastructures would easily dispel any suggestion that they have they they are the sole hero of their own story and everyone is some kind of npc.

so anyway i watched less than 10% of the show and it's pretty loving bad, i would not recommend, also they made some of the people they interview their VR avatars but when I google their name up they would be some white middle-aged rando who's either balding or bad hair, so lol

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

endlessmonotony posted:

Bill Gates is big on charter schools and I have had less than positive experiences with charter schools. I guess that's anecdotal though.

Also look up what he did to compuglobalhypermeganet.

Greg Legg has issued a correction as of 05:36 on Feb 28, 2021

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

endlessmonotony posted:

number one, thats terror

post COVID
Mar 5, 2007

Gates foundation funds an enormous amount of research into neglected tropical diseases, an area multinational pharma neglects because of a lack of profit motive

bill gates is still an abominable production of late-stage capitalism and his philanthropy does not justify his power

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

the flu vaccine was 45 percent effective last year, and even lower the year before that.

makes u think

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

mRNA flu shot when??

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

Serf posted:

smh we’ve fallen so far that people can’t recognize a deus ex quote

What a shame.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

smoobles posted:

CDC says one of the symptoms of COVID-19 is "getting crazy with the spices"

It actually kind of is because you can still feel hot sauce even if you can't taste anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

I googled him on a hunch and wouldn't you know it:

quote:

Robert Dingwall is a Professor of sociology whose focus is on the interdisciplinary study of law, medicine, science and technology.

But on the other hand, the article had the exact same advice from WHO:

quote:

Professor Dingwall’s comments were echoed by the World Health Organization (WHO) doctor Margaret Harris.

Speaking on LBC, she said: “We don’t recommend wearing a face mask unless you are coughing or sneezing a lot.

“People misunderstand the face mask. They think it is about protecting themselves, but it’s actually about protecting others if you are producing a lot of respiratory droplets.”

It comes as England confirmed two more Britons had contracted COVID-19, bringing the total number of cases in the UK to 15.

Thanks WHO!