Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Steve Yun posted:

What a time to announce the new season pass system

Whoa the room is spinning, I don't think I'm ready for Disney fandom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

mod sassinator posted:

it's complete deflection and lets off the hook the very real failures of team blue to contain and stop the spread using NPIs

if we had done vaccines and continued strict NPIs like mask use, and were still surging... then yeah blame the antivaxxers for everything. but this surge is squarely on the CDC burning mask mandates. even if we had gotten to 75% of americans fully double vaccinated it would NOT have stopped delta. we need near 90% vaccinated to even get close to herd immunity. it's a pipe dream impossibility and this has been known since at least april

I agree, but NPIs wouldn't change much of the antivax refusal

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

tried on my medium secure click and it's a bit uncomfortable and it feels like my jaw is always being squeezed closed. is this normal or should i try sizing up to the large?

This doesn't match my experience, the only discomfort I've had with 3M respirators is pinching my noise slightly. Note not a respirator expert.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
one weird trick to supress bad covid stats

https://www.kansascity.com/news/coronavirus/article253147128.html?scrolla=5eb6d68b7fedc32c19ef33b4

quote:

In one Missouri county, coroner excludes COVID from death certificates if family asks

Macon County Coroner Brian Hayes handles the death certificates for this cattle, corn and soybean region of 15,000 in north-central Missouri, near Kirksville — roughly 130 to 140 deaths each year. That includes certifying the deaths of the few dozen residents who have succumbed to the coronavirus.

And in some cases, it has meant excluding COVID-19 from death certificates.

COVID-19 is as much a political issue as a personal tragedy for some families. They don’t want the virus on any official record for their dead loved one. For others, restrictions on hospital or nursing home visits made death and the grieving process almost unbearable. The word “COVID” had become a cruel reminder of how they couldn’t see their family members as they lay dying and, ultimately, of what they had lost.

So the solution: Leaving COVID-19 off the death certificate entirely — an ethically questionable approach frowned on by much of the U.S. medical community as it tries to ascertain the the deadly extent of the pandemic in rural sections of the country and halt its spread.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

silicone thrills posted:

lol omg you AV changed and it hella threw me off.
hahah that blizz shitshow making me change tune, kept thinking about it every time i saw my AV

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

https://www.name-generator.org.uk/quick/ definitely not related to anything or whatever, just a cool link.

I'm no longer going out with my service dog until this goes down a good bit or people are wearing masks everywhere. He's too important and I realize the chances of him getting sick are very, very, very low but I'd rather wait and make sure he's okay.

Disney does a lot of really cool stuff and the rides are fun. What you're saying isn't wrong, but there's a really big weird subculture thing with the theme parks (and theme parks in general, not just Disney) and there's a ton of people who are really into it because it's safe, you won't get mugged, the rides are well maintained, the food is at least passable to good, and there's always something new to see.

like the inside of a loving casket two weeks after your trip.

the parks should be closed.

Thats what confuses me. Little changes over a few months so I don't see the gain of a season pass. Just go yearly or every 6 months if you're local, or not at all if its during a pandemic.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Died with blank not of blank

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

John_A_Tallon posted:

Do you really think that will help?
no

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time
OK Covid thread, tell me how dumb this is:

My family is having a reunion, next week. People have come from across the country and from Canada, as well as local family will all be getting together at some private cabins - noone outside the family. 3 of the attendees are children who cannot be vaccinated yet. Everyone adult has been fully vaccinated, and there will be ~15ish folks in their 60s. This event is going to happen, don't think anything I say will change that.

I have a nontrivial condition that, along with this thread, has driven me to hermit the gently caress up the last 18 months, but I've been forced back into working in the office again - I'm keeping my kn94 on all day errday but still.

Is there a scenario in which:

A) this'd be reasonably safe for the family as a whole
B) I could at least keep myself safe while i'm there

Right now the considerations/conditions I'm thinking of are that I'd be masked any time I'm indoors except for in the shower (i could time that and ventilate the room ahead of the shower). Outdoors I wouldn't mask 100% of the time, but when I'm going to be near (4-6ft) someone. I am planning to sleep pseudo outside on a porch with large screen windows to allow decent airflow.

I really want to go. I was planning to meet my new nephew there as well as get to spend time with my 3 year old niece who lives 1500 miles away and I've seen in person maybe 10 times.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Insanely stupid. like screamingly stupid.

People can pass delta outdoors with just passing close contact because that's how loving easy it is to spread. So those kids are going to get it from one of their vaccinated relatives and you might get it from a vaccinated relative and poo poo is just going wild right now.

My ear just started ringing looking at this post.

silicone thrills has issued a correction as of 22:32 on Aug 3, 2021

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I can't believe that, at one point in time, a vast swath of this country and many people on this forum believed children were somehow immune to the novel coronavirus.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

can't wait for the cumtown bit

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

Soylent Majority posted:

My family is having a reunion, next week. People have come from across the country and from Canada, as well as local family will all be getting together at some private cabins - noone outside the family. 3 of the attendees are children who cannot be vaccinated yet. Everyone adult has been fully vaccinated, and there will be ~15ish folks in their 60s. This event is going to happen, don't think anything I say will change that.

I have a nontrivial condition that, along with this thread, has driven me to hermit the gently caress up the last 18 months, but I've been forced back into working in the office again - I'm keeping my kn94 on all day errday but still.

Right now the considerations/conditions I'm thinking of are that I'd be masked any time I'm indoors except for in the shower (i could time that and ventilate the room ahead of the shower). Outdoors I wouldn't mask 100% of the time, but when I'm going to be near (4-6ft) someone. I am planning to sleep pseudo outside on a porch with large screen windows to allow decent airflow.

I really want to go. I was planning to meet my new nephew there as well as get to spend time with my 3 year old niece who lives 1500 miles away and I've seen in person maybe 10 times.

You could literally not pick a worse time to roll the dice like this

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Durf posted:

weren't there reports that poor/minority groups that wanted the vaccine still weren't getting access to it, due to availability or not being able to leave work?

the intense focus on white GOP anti-vaxxers definitely seems like a smokescreen

not to mention that it's well within living memory that the US government was running an experiment where told black people they were giving them free health care and then actually injected them with syphillis with the stated goal of seeing what would happen if someone got injected with syphillis and then didn't get treated

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Penisaurus Sex posted:

lmao they absolutely cannot help themselves with the targeted bureaucratic nonsense.

It's because the Supreme Court ruled against a blanket ban under CDC authority. They are trying to use this as a workaround to argue that it is targeted and related to emergency public health measures under CDC authority.

The Alabama Association of Realtors and the NAR (the group that took the original moratorium case to the Supreme Court) already say they are planning a lawsuit to get an injunction because it is authorized under the CDC.

So, we'll see how long it lasts.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

C-SPAN Caller posted:

Thats what confuses me. Little changes over a few months so I don't see the gain of a season pass. Just go yearly or every 6 months if you're local, or not at all if its during a pandemic.

Sometimes it's little changes, sometimes it's a good bit more. Restaurant menus change, there's festivals with special snacks that might interest people, shows and parades that change up or special limited-time performances or decorations. Parties, after-hours events (which you might get discounts on), and so much else. There's a special version of Space Mountain with different effects (which changes the way you feel the ride) that only happens during the Halloween season, for instance. WDW is a lot worse about all of this, but Disneyland's properties are getting there.

I get the people who go "but it's just rides". And ultimately it is. But for some, it's a lot more. Go check out the Disney thread in A/T. There's always plenty of talk there.

I've flipped and flopped a lot about Disney and what's going on during the pandemic but yeah, with Delta spiking, they shouldn't be open right now. Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary is October 1st and if they closed now, maybe they could open safely around then. Or sorta safely, I guess.

Soylent Majority posted:

I would say n95/kn94/that type mask and go say hello but don't stay overnight and don't go inside or remove your mask for any reason whatsoever.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Soylent Majority posted:

it is not safe, period. if everyone stayed masked... sure it could work. but no one is going to keep their masks on outside (which you should absolutely still keep them on if everyone is getting huggy and kissy).

look at the recent summer festivals all popping people positive that were vaccinated and outdoors. look at goon wedding after goon wedding that started with "ok we're doing this all the right way!" and then "oops! 10% of us are positive :("

if would be _much_ safer if people actually planned this out with a 14 day quarantine BEFORE the event and AFTER any travel. if that sounds ridiculous and too onerous... then it's a big hint that big meetups during a pandemic maybe aren't safe. but quarantining and testing before meeting would at least let you know the bubble you're about to form is safe.

as it is now though.. people are going to be flying in potentially hot and incubating. you have no testing protocol to catch that. no quarantine to stop it. no plans to mask or take other NPIs. clear evidence that the vaccines are not enough protection alone to stop spreading. i mean FFS you could even do antibody tests of everyone involved to know definitively if people have any vaccine antibodies left or worth a drat

the whole thing top to bottom is a risk. you might be seeing some of your family alive and free of pain for the last time in their and your life. that's what should be on your mind

have fun! tell us how many pop positive

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i have no lungs and i must cough

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 22:45 on Aug 3, 2021

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Walt Disney World's 50th anniversary is October 1st and if they closed now, maybe they could open safely around then. Or sorta safely, I guess.

lmao

oh yeah, delta wave will definitely be contained by then

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Sup COVID-19 thread in C-SPAM, just wanted to drop in for a quick temperature check:
is it stupid do inject delta straight into the balls?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Seriously I dont care how much you "trust" your family.

Those fuckers will rip their masks off the second they walk outside once and never put them back on. Happens every loving time.

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

Shear Modulus posted:

tried on my medium secure click and it's a bit uncomfortable and it feels like my jaw is always being squeezed closed. is this normal or should i try sizing up to the large?

i'm sorry to hear that. close boomer relatives being turned into completely different people by years of fox news and talk radio brainwashing is a terrible thing that's happening to so many people in the typical goon age group these days and it's heartbreaking. You're not alone.

There's a documentary on the topic called "the brainwashing of my dad" that I've heard positive things about.

shouldn't feel that tight, no. the straps don't have to be as tight as you might think for it to pass a fit test. keep loosening the straps and checking the seal. if you still can't get it to feel comfortable before it gets loose enough to break the seal, you'll have to size up

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

excuse me, doom thread, should i not doom??

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

osprey posted:

shouldn't feel that tight, no. the straps don't have to be as tight as you might think for it to pass a fit test. keep loosening the straps and checking the seal. if you still can't get it to feel comfortable before it gets loose enough to break the seal, you'll have to size up

i second straps, without any desire to insult your intelligence

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

COVID thread will give you last rites not absolution

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Failed state

edit:

quote:

“I think from what they heard, it’s a money thing,” said Charlie Burkhardt, 73, who is a retired auctioneer. “Whether it be money going to the doctors or money going to the hospitals.”

It's that stupid loving conservative media talking point.

also massive lols

quote:

Missouri data shows 80,000 fewer cases and 1,000 fewer deaths than local health departments, mostly due to local departments counting probable cases and those with antigen tests. Like Missouri, New York has also undercounted COVID-19 deaths — the federal government lists 11,000 more victims with death certificate data than the state dashboard. That’s because the state excluded probable cases and those with only a positive antigen test from its death counts.

Missouri is also one of five states that doesn’t count antigen tests in its COVID-19 state case count, alongside California, Colorado, Maryland and Nevada.

Christopher Prener is an assistant professor of sociology at Saint Louis University and runs a website that tracks COVID-19 data across the state. He said that leaving out deaths with positive COVID-19 antigen tests, coupled with the state’s slow reporting, creates a gap between hospital and death statistics, especially in rural counties that favored antigen tests because they are less expensive.

Nothus has issued a correction as of 22:41 on Aug 3, 2021

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Zokari posted:

excuse me, doom thread, should i not doom??

the time is now to go out a restaurant if u live in big lib states. that sh*t is empty af. time to eat like a king dog

osprey
Apr 18, 2021

Soylent Majority posted:

don't do it unless you want covid

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

WampaLord posted:

lmao

oh yeah, delta wave will definitely be contained by then

:qq: just me in a corner shaking, shellshocked, corpses piled high everywhere as I whisper "there's a great big beautiful tomorrow" in the wasteland of the united states of covid

for real though, I mean, who knows. It could happen. (it wouldn't happen but maybe they could have SOME of their 18 months of planned celebrations for the 50th but haha they can't close or even enforce masks 100%, loving disney)

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

hmm where have I seen this excuse before, can't think of a time in the past year or two where this has been brought up by anybo

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/joe-biden-posts-video-addressing-allegations-of-unwanted-touching-in-the-past-1471205443655

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Yesterday

Today

Since Jul 26
https://imgur.com/a/1yDKDZF (the ordering may have gotten hosed on these, if anyone actually ever wants to do anything with them I will put some effort into ordering them properly)

Where do you get these from?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
i usually try to follow this thread really closely but i am getting hammered at work + family responsibilities and am now 2500 posts behind. can someone tl;dr those posts for me with things i really ought to know. thank you so much respirator friends.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Petey posted:

i usually try to follow this thread really closely but i am getting hammered at work + family responsibilities and am now 2500 posts behind. can someone tl;dr those posts for me with things i really ought to know. thank you so much respirator friends.

poo poo's real bad and about to get crazy worse and disney world's still open

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Homeless Friend posted:

the time is now to go out a restaurant if u live in big lib states. that sh*t is empty af. time to eat like a king dog

lmao restaurants are more packed in lib stronghold seattle than i've ever seen

and this is a couple weeks after the delta scare has started!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

i am harry posted:

“…in person school.”

Isn't great when people trained in a quack science field (economics) decided to genius mindset to other areas?

Sort of like how Cryin' Nate transformed his career was baseball stats nerd to a infectious disease expert.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Louisgod posted:

hmm where have I seen this excuse before, can't think of a time in the past year or two where this has been brought up by anybo

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/joe-biden-posts-video-addressing-allegations-of-unwanted-touching-in-the-past-1471205443655

you see bobby, the majority of power seeking people have sexual deviations that demand lots of leverage to successfully satisfy

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Petey posted:

we're more hosed than you can imagine, do everything in your power to avoid human contact if possible. therapy is for dorks

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

etalian posted:

Isn't great when people trained in a quack science field (economics) decided to genius mindset to other areas?

Sort of like how Cryin' Nate transformed his career was baseball stats nerd to a infectious disease expert.

The CSPAM COVID thread is the only expert I need

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Soylent Majority posted:

It's not zero risk, but if you're vaccinated you'll probably end up fine unless you're immunocompromised. Honestly we don't fully know yet, especially about delta and long COVID and vaccines. Like another poster said: it's rolling the dice. The kids who aren't vaccinated probably are the ones most at risk, but who knows really.

Right now there is a poo poo ton of uncertainty. I personally wouldn't roll the dice to see my mom, because she's a fuckhead. But I also wouldn't roll the dice right now to even see my best friend without elastomeric respirator use, even though she's easily the most important person in my life and I miss her dearly.

Speaking of uncertainty: the CDC and the WH have been really bad at communicating this uncertainty throughout this entire pandemic. Uncertainty is the core of scientific knowledge. We slowly push back the uncertainty through the scientific process. If our most important medical institutions can't communicate uncertainly effectively, then those institutions need to be gutted and replaced with scientists who can communicate uncertainty effectively. Americans (and humans in general) might hate uncertainty, but that's the way science loving works, and it's the only honest way to function.