Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
i've had a ton of teeth removed, often /way/ too late. suffer now or really suffer later: it's that cut and dry.

also high-five on my southern town shitwrecking it's previous record. working hard!

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
so i model a lot of this out using python since part of what i do depends on virus number and how that impacts $Number and a few other metrics. back in the Long Ago before the Parabolic Times, a really simple rule of thumb existed that was absolutely stupid but effective: whatever time it is EST, multiply the hour by 10k. that'd be roughly where we were at and it'd taper off around 5-7p. give or take a little based on what day it was.

i'm aware that's not actual math but in terms of a quick method to guess what a number was back before 70k -- it was reasonably effective.

we almost hit 100k before 4p EST today.

one, holy poo poo.
two, we're hypersonic hosed. which is a cold war arms race beyond turbofucked.

Succbot Circlejerk posted:

You guys were right, I called my dentist and they freaked the gently caress out and scheduled me for right away.

They're closed for the rest of the week business must be bumping.

Also this is awesome. I'm sorry you have to experience this during COVID but having had numerous teeth pulled out and at least two major jaw infections: I can't overstate that if you're having a dental problem -- rolling the bones on being in a dentist office (they're normally chill / you wait in your car until it's time) and catching COVID vs the absolute inevitability that the tooth will worsen in condition -- I'd roll them for the one that isn't guaranteed not in your favor.

Shitpostradomus has issued a correction as of 22:12 on Nov 10, 2020

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

Shipon posted:

At this point? It would probably be easier to count the ones that are intact but it's been like this for years and I've more or less just gotten used to it because what's the point of freaking out when it's impossible to afford to do anything with them. I already talked about how a dentist screwed me for two root canals 12 years ago when i was broke and had no dental insurance and just avoided going because it would ruin me financially

this only slightly different situation. no uppers, lowers from canine to bicuspid. if i was lucky i got a pulpectomy which is more or less just filing an extension on an extraction since you can't afford a canal. dental pain is awful and dangerous and horrid.

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
it appears like half of the SEC games for this weekend are canceled (Georgia/Alabama/Tennessee).

i thought we were opening 'er up. what's with this bullshit.

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

Karia posted:

Nah, don't worry, the UTK/Texas A&M game isn't canceled, it's just delayed until early December, shortly after Thanksgiving, everything will be fine by then.

Superspreader event /and/ a loss to A&M?
Now there's an onion ring in my large side of fries.

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

my father came back today with a PSA of 27 and date for a biopsy. it's been a trash day and i've been awake too long. me asking out loud, "jesus how deep did they go" made me break rank from an awful day and snort laugh for a full minute. unintended outcome but thanks for this.

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
well, thankfully the repercussions of ignoring the advisory are strong enough to get the message across. looks like we can cross Chicago off the list, folks. looks like our next target is... the five largest cities from every state in "Fifty Nifty United States."

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
102,000 cases before 3pm

working hard thank you!

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

we did it!

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

Frances Nurples posted:

that uh seemed fast?

operation warp speed wasn't referencing vaccine creation

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

i see your 181,159 and raise you 182,993
:boom: :boom:

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

my mother in law is flying in for thanksgiving (short 1 hour flight from small airport to small airport on SW) in 3 days and my wife and I are freaking the f out. we've got a spare bedroom setup as a little apartment for her with basically private entry, own bathroom, etc, have bought her n95 mask + face shield for flight told her not to touch anything and bring hand sanitizer for when she touches anything. Told her we'll get her bags for her and to try and not stand near anyone, especially stay away from people without masks and people not wearing their mask properly. She's gonna quarantine for 14 days before being allowed to hang out with the rest of the family (so we'll celebrate thanksgiving a week later).

The reason we're doing this is cause she's basically just gonna move in with us in to ride out the winter instead of the apartment complex she lives in. I offered to drive to pick her up (18 hours round trip) and my wife basically said no.

you're aware like 12h into this, none of those rules are going to apply anymore right?

just making sure you're mentally prepped for that story twist.

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
Having a nice time picking out music for my Christmas playlist this year.

https://youtu.be/8qnM05rHTKw

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

Stereotype posted:

Unless something fundamentally changes we are going to have an "absolutely insane" amount of deaths.

as a number toucher, i really can not stress this enough in terms of how the math works out.

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i forgot if it's actually verified but was there not speculation that the pfizer vaccines may not work on anybody above 35?

i think the upper on the primary vax was 68.4 but don't quote me on that.

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

How! posted:

I was told to chill because they’ve been watching my dog for two months while I’m stuck in a company town.

being in-laws and doing something nice isn't an exchange system.
especially with regard to pet care.

that's a really lovely move to hold over you and i'm sorry that's going on.

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
well. i guess this is the week. either the models were correct or... they'll still be correct if they weren't.

stay safe. please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGRqSJY0hDo

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

Radirot posted:

good song

just the blues brah

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
they probably won't have endless apps or breadsticks but i'd rather die for a local o+o really

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

empty whippet box posted:

its my birthdayyyyy what do I do for my birthday in the covid hell year

I have an idea...I will go to a bar and let everyone in the bar spit in my mouth in sequence. to get a sense of normalcy back. just for a day

hey it's my birthday on thursday. i'll be 38.

did you know they sell /bottles/ like actual loving /bottles/ of the poo poo you can buy as shots in stores?
this was news to me so maybe it's also news to you idk.

so i'm going to drink like a half handle of that and then go have people spit in my mouth.
ymmv

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
so at what point should i be like, "maybe this is ... not good?"

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

that's a real deceptive thumbnail for two sad looking burgers

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

oops. my county that has a college in it did a little fucky-wucky ~2w after the SnapMap showed literally everyone wilding the gently caress out for Halloween.

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

Teenage Riot posted:

Tennessee killin’ it, 7951 cases, never even crossed 6000 before today :coronatoot:

icu will always be
home sweet home to me

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
my lovely county finally stepped up to play in the big leagues of the We Did a Fucky Wucky World Series. i'm so proud.

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

if seatbelts work why do people die in car crashes
checkmate, mask-haver

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
my 5500 came today along with a handful of filters.

i don't mind the kn95s but i'm an Actual Giant with a big face and ear straps just weren't going to fix that issue. i 3D printed a clip for the nose piece which worked but it was a pain in the rear end and ears.

anyhow tl;dr i was wearing it, farted and i didn't smell anything so i think i may incorporate this into my lifestyle moving forward.

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
why hasn't anyone sat down and had a beer with the virus to see if it can be reasoned with?

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
it's my birthday today.

last night i called my parents to joke that i was going to shave my head since no one is gonna see me for the next seven months in any capacity i'll care about -- and because it'd make my mother crack up. i'm an only child and taller than most doorways so i've hit my head enough where i'm pretty sure my skull probably looks like the moon with craters. that conversation quickly heel-turned into: my dad came back from the doctor, pneumothorax from a quad bypass a few years ago, small aortic aneurysm they're keeping an eye on, PSA level that could rent a car if it were an age and if i minded dogsitting for them over two days while he went for his heart one day / a biopsy the next day. somehow i feel it would have been less of an impact if i didn't start the call in an effort to get my mom to laugh. i hadn't had a drink since September 1st but i knew where i put the liquor. went outside, opened a new bottle, killed a 750 of scotch over an hour and a half listening to Skip James / smoking menthols / wallowing in my own bullshit. it's a real trash coping mechanism i've made progress on shaking since i can't Just Have One.

story has a point to it.
for my birthday, my wife ran into that "turn your pet into a classic art portrait" ad and gave me a picture of my bird as an admiral. i hadn't /laughed/ -- like, i need my inhaler laughed -- in probably two weeks. gently caress me, every time i look at it i start laughing.

tl;dr open 'er up

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

blatman posted:

i've activated the good-karma machine to send you some good karma, the process will take 69 hours to complete and may result in a mild tingling

post pics of the bird admiral

why did the tingle have to start in the nose.
it's like a perpetual sneeze that isn't happening.
oh god.

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

Korean Boomhauer posted:

post the bird too :3:

he got a pie pumpkin last week.

it took him around ten minutes to go from "it's a full pumpkin" to that last photo. they are smart and amazingly efficient at destruction. between that and the fact that we have to whistle back and forth through the day as a series of flock calls / that normally snaps me out of some dark shadows that creep in the silence: we're pretty well-suited for one another.

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

DarkEuphoria posted:

that’s a good bird, please post more bird in the future

// c a n | d o //

Vasukhani posted:

do birb like bumpkin?>??

sure do. since it's an African Grey the real appeal is the Cronch of tearing a gourd up. it's a crisp skin with some pushback on the outside, apple-flesh texture on the inside. that particular birb is really into preen / cronch / "give me a weird puzzle i have to work out for a treat" toys. his cage has a turn-wheel in it that you can put a treat in and he has to get it at a very exact location to get the treat. takes him around 16 seconds.

a full pumpkin would have been /probably/ alright but pie pumpkins are specifically a little higher grade in terms of being delicious. and the size makes it way easier to clean / a friend grew it.

Chunky Salsa posted:

Very good birb

he screams around 6a if he hasn't been fed by then. or when he wants Sesame Street on (he loves Elmo's World but Sesame Street in general is his /absolute jam/) because he's bored and we're asleep. or when he wants to come out (he's out daily; sometimes he wants a second round at night). he'll render your flesh like a sharp nail attached to a pair of pliers (did that to my ex) -- but he likes the two of us and i'm an ogre with ogre hands and a prior rapsheet of hot food service and car work in the early 2000s -- and good luck getting a fulcrum with that beak around an index finger a little larger than a nickel in diameter. bites don't mean Angry with parrots, it means like one of 30 things and that thing can also be "i just felt like it. hey i love you." he very intentionally avoids my nail beds and that's about as close as i can describe our respect for one another.

anyhow. sorry for the derail. figured i'd talk about a real terse week and the fact that i've snort-laughed like seven times tonight because of that little feathered derp's face in military blues. stay safe.

edit, gently caress: birb snipe

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

Chunky Salsa posted:

The fact that they are toddlers with a beak made of shredding has always put me off from owning a bird, though I will absolutely admire them from afar (unless there's a rescue case where I might consider it)

Thank you for sharing your birb

Gobble was a rescue. He ran into my ex while she was on the smoking deck at a call center. Research is what I do -- the topic is moot: People give me questions and I answer them for money. I did find his owner. I left flowers and a few of his feathers on the the grave. Ended up putting it together through an estate sale held by the son. Since I'm /absolutely loving dense/ when I'm running with a lede, I went to the son's house. The estate sale had a bunch of real nice bird cages. His profile didn't indicate ownership but two profile pictures back was a very old man with a straight-up Myrtle Beach airbrush sweater with a Grey on it and all the comments were Thoughts and Prayers.

i could have been less abrupt. that's kind of a common issue. dude came out holding his xbox controller (Gobble absolutely knows the sign-on noise) wearing a Blade Runner tshirt (first weird thing Gobble ever said was, "wake up - it's time to die!" -- only said it once in the first month; would have been weirder had i not been familiar with blade runner). i ask if they're missing a bird. he starts to look real mean. his daughter, who looked about five, perked up and ran to the door saying, "GOBBLE??"

he talks in the other room to himself when he's alone. it's like listening to a neural network. as far as i can tell, his name was Copernicus in a previous time. "Gobble," in her voice, was the sound he found for himself by the time he found us. the night before he ran into my ex, we were under a tornado warning for almost six hours while a series of fronts absolutely laid waste to the town. golf ball hail. and i often remember hearing him talking to himself two weeks in, replaying a recoding of "get the gently caress out of here. GO. GO AWAY. SHOO." so there's little question that bird tried to find shelter as four tornado vortexes passed over us.

i tried. that's an expensive animal just based on purchase price. that doesn't get into food, stimulation and the fact that just walking into an exotic vet immediately deducts $160 from your account. as someone who never intended nor wanted a parrot that can live to 75 and i have no idea how old he is? i mean, i guess it's like kids. never get one. if you do, it'll change your life so be prepared to undergo that change without resentment.

also depending on how sensitive your fingers are, the bites aren't that bad. a bad one with a good bird is roughly 1/3rd the pain of loving your knuckle up with a wrench doing car work. the underside of your index finger is always going to look like it has freckles. make sure you check hands before going out because, especially now, people get a little weird when you don't notice you're actively bleeding.

Nichael posted:

This is so cute. Does he really watch it?

He actively cheeps when it's turned on. If it's in the morning, he'll pull a full toddler -- grab one of his Harrison's pellets in his hand and a power treat in his mouth -- climb from his food area on the right to where the TV is on the left and eat his food watching TV. YT only has a handful of free Sesame Street episodes so for Christmas he's getting the full run. There's only so many times I can hear the Batty-batty-bat-bat-one-two-three-count song / the word on the street is pumpernickel / predicament / pretend -- and i need some new Mr. Noodle fuckups. He's also down with Barney. He's /way/ down with Mr. Rogers but that's almost too wholesome to listen to on repeat. He likes Daniel Tiger the most.

Korean Boomhauer posted:

your bird is so adorable aaa :3::3::3::3:

I never understood the concept of weird service animals until him. The mad lad screams when I'm being an rear end in a top hat on the internet. Makes me whistle back to him when I'm stuck in some dark quiet thoughts. Occasionally moans like my ex, the only positive noise he remembers from her, when I'm with my wife. Solid sense of humor. A very good, and apparently now decorated, boy.

Shitpostradomus has issued a correction as of 11:21 on Nov 19, 2020

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

twoday posted:

Wow. It’s wild that you could hear him remembering the traumatic situation of flying around looking for shelter in a storm. Living with a dinosaur sounds cool.

as far as i can tell, it was the wife / husband screaming at him to leave in proximity to the storm. he still hates rain. if it's a bad storm, he likes to come out of his cage and chill in between my wife and me in bed. he likes pets at that time. some parrot owners can get theirs into a shower floor and they just Wild the gently caress out getting wet. Gobble is not that brand of parrot. i carefully spritz him daily making sure i don't hit his eyes because that probably happened and sucked during a hail storm. then i let him bite the nozzle. well, "bite" -- i let him attack the nozzle.

that helps.

and it has some downsides but if i didn't consider that fucker my son, i certainly wouldn't be posting about him.
he's the tremendous content of good boys.

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
took a nice birthday hike. came back to Rudy's hair melting and 130k by 4p.
at least some of those things are good. the park was almost absolutely empty so that was nice.

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo

DarkEuphoria posted:

tell everyone you have explosive diarrhea, it always works and hardly anyone wants to ask follow up questions

get uncomfortably descriptive about it. texture, ballistics on what the bottom of your toilet seat looks like, acidity due to bile. start calling your bathroom the hurt locker while you transition into this narrative.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shitpostradomus
Sep 19, 2020

by sebmojo
79k by 2:30?
lookin' good.
open 'er up.

time for a little razzle dazzle.