Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

these have been popping up in Brooklyn

my wife is Chinese so this is feeling extremely uncool to me
I'm getting some real 1800s racism vibes from this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

empty whippet box posted:

me before and after every trip outside of my house

(Getty Images stock photo of man following President Trump's official coronavirus treatment recommendations.)

mystes
May 31, 2006

snoo posted:

when I was still working I'd use hand sanitizer after every customer and I have (currently under control) eczema on my hands that never actually flared up with constant hand sanitizer use, if that helps any

when I wore gloves I'd sanitize them too

one of the main reasons, other than the aforementioned eczema, that I like to wear gloves is to keep stuff from getting under my nails. I have a nail scrub brush and all, I still wash my hands after wearing gloves, but it's helpful.

I assume most people don't worry about either of those things and they also throw their gloves on the ground when they're done
Obviously gloves aren't going to prevent you from touching your face and infecting yourself, so I'm hesitant to recommend that people wear gloves for coronavirus in general, but if you're repeatedly washing or sanitizing your hands all day I do think it makes lots of sense to wear gloves so you don't completely destroy your skin.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I realize it's lovely but I'm getting to the point where I just want all the chud areas to open up completely right now so that everyone can realize opening up is a dumb idea ASAP before it wears off on my moderately cautious family members and they decide to get themselves killed or something, or before my employer tries to make me go in to work in person.

mystes
May 31, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

This is what we all thought was happening in may and it didn't work for whatever reason
Very good point, but I can still hope for June, can't I?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thoguh posted:

All the gyms around here are open with reduced capacity but 'masks optional' which is the stupidest compromise possible because it's no different than just saying no masks required in an environment like that.
In order to deal with coronavirus, gyms will compromise by reopening but optionally allowing handwashing after use of the bathroom and additionally requiring that all equipment be thoroughly licked clean after use.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

hahaha lmao avatar 2 is going to fuckin bomb so hard
Firstly, it's not coming out for another year and a half, and secondly maybe they just need to rewrite the script to make it about police brutality and communicable diseases.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wamsutta posted:

CT Horror Story. I have been working from home since the start of March and am not going back to an office until October at the earliest, and I needed to get a desk and an office chair since working from couch has been causing awful back issues. Made the mistake of hitting IKEA on Monday afternoon. Sweet gently caress, it was just unbelievably bad. I had no idea that was their first day of OPEN ER UP. There were people on every fuckin inch of the floorspace. 100% mask compliance, between people bringing their own and IKEA handing out cheapies at the door, so there's that, but almost nobody made any attempt to observe any kind of distancing. I got out of there as quickly as possible and I never want to leave my house again. Just teeming throngs of fuckin humanity. The staff looked unbelievably demoralized and many were in tears.

Also my 68yo mother in law quit her part time job at TJ Maxx. This was supposed to be the first week she went back in but she spoke to a couple of coworkers who basically described the IKEA situation to her and she was like "yeah, nope, gently caress that. I'm high risk to start with, everyone in America is dumb and lovely, and I'm not paid enough to risk the rona."

Lol at a country where people in their late 60s have to work.

America :(
Reminder that Laffer wanted people to have to give up Social Security in exchange for additional BernieBux.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wamsutta posted:

My gym posted their guidelines for 61/7 re-opening and it seems reasonable enough in the era of OPEN ER UP

Limited to 50% building code capacity
Touchless checkin
Still selling drinks/bars but no shake bar, can only pay via the card you have on file with the gym
Every other cardio machine disabled
6 foot distance requirement (kinda lol at the idea of enough people adhering to this)
Masks required at all times in the gym (staff to enforce)
Significant increase in number of sanitizing wipe stations, staff to enforce wiping requirements

If people actually DO all this poo poo it seems alright. I feel bad for the staff because while I'm in a blue state we have plenty of chuds, and they're going to be so lovely about all of this

The gym's FB post announcing the guidelines is already full of chuds making the most adult baby complaints possible to the point that I almost think it's a joke because a woman literally named Karen complained 'I can't even make it through Wal-Mart with a mask on, so I will not be working out with one on'. Lots and lots of people saying they're not doing masks and asking how to freeze or cancel their memberships. Hopefully they all gently caress off forever
All the guidelines about distancing were created based on 1) the most restrictions people would be likely to accept, and 2) the idea that there would be no way to avoid people going to the supermarket or whatever during the pandemic.

They were absolutely not intended to be interpreted as saying that as long as you wear a mask and stay exactly 6 feet away from other people, you can safely engage in intense exercise in an enclosed space with tons of other people.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Dreylad posted:

has there been any reports from that insanely wealthy boomer retirement community
If you're thinking of The Villages I don't think it's actually "insanely wealthy" because it's just a huge ugly suburban development that's not near the water or anything.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Spergin Morlock posted:

i suspect that patient is not actually healthy if his lungs have been removed. he ded
"We removed two lungs from a healthy volunteer. Unfortunately, he passed away soon after the procedure for undetermined reasons."

mystes
May 31, 2006

shovelbum posted:

its no better for covid bc all the teachers are still there every day and poo poo
The actual idea is probably that with half as many students on any given day, they can space them out more.

Still unlikely to work, though.

mystes
May 31, 2006

snoo posted:

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
The policy is just because that's what they think other customers want to hear. It's obviously not actually to protect the health of workers.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Marx Headroom posted:

weirdly enough, not in France even though they got hit pretty hard and then opened up early

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/11/coronavirus-cases-fall-in-france-despite-easing-of-lockdown
If you look at the actual situation in France and Paris in particular, it is much less "open" than many places in the US are now: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/france-coronavirus-restrictions-ease-restaurants-schools-covid-19-contract-tracing-app-rolled-out/

Restaurants can ONLY have tables outside, museums are allowed to open but are actually holding off, etc.

Basically, France is opening in a sane way where people are still afraid and taking precautions. This is absolutely not what's happening in the US now.

Places that can keep the r under 1 despite reopening are in good shape, but that doesn't mean the US will magically not have a second wave even if its r is above 1.

mystes has issued a correction as of 22:03 on Jun 11, 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

nikosoft posted:

Are you serious? I mean, I don't have kids, so I don't really know. We did daycare until I was maybe eight or so, and then I was old enough to 'babysit' my brother after school. If I was a parent I'd rather be available, but I also think we were old enough to be fine, and people gotta work.
Welcome to 2020.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If I go to a place... nah not going to go to a place.

mystes
May 31, 2006

spaceblancmange posted:

Posts going up in covid thread, I wonder what that could mean?
It's just a party to celebrate the end of covid.

mystes
May 31, 2006

SKULL.GIF posted:

it's still insider trading
No, clearly if a single random person on the internet has randomly guessed that a certain fact is possibly true, then it's no longer insider trading to act on insider information that says that fact is definitely true.

Just like how it's okay to use insider information to win the lottery as long as some other person has also guessed that number.

mystes
May 31, 2006

PyPy posted:

I’ve been privy to some meetings with the Federal Reserve and there is a critical shortage of coin in the supply chain as a result of Covid -19. The US Mint is taking a reactionary position to notifying the public, rather than proactive. coin supply is being rationed to Financial Institutions in the US beginning today.
Coins with denominations less than 1 dollar are stupid and nobody uses the dollar coins.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The employees are spending hours upon hours figuring out how to make covid look less bad and you expect us to fire them for their hard work?!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

Feel like we shouldn't call it the second wave when the first wave literally never ended.
Second wave, say Americans after noticing that the sea level hasn't gone done from last they noticed it was high.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Crusader posted:

surprised cdc twitter hasnt been muzzled yet

https://twitter.com/CDCgov/status/1271498768274382848
Americans aren't paying attention to what the CDC says anymore, so there's no need.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Steve Yun posted:

here is a really good, relatively short rabbit hole conspiracy theory investigation on coronavirus

https://twitter.com/whmullally/status/1271109120997933058?s=21
Phew, I'm really relieved to know that people weren't aware of coronaviruses or what they looked like in 2011, because that would clearly entail some sort of conspiracy.

mystes
May 31, 2006

South Carolina, I'm proud of you. Texas and Florida, you need to try harder.

mystes
May 31, 2006

COVID-420 posted:

that was the local state department of health, not "the media"

the nytimes has published a shitload of "holy gently caress cases are rising fast" data graphics and visualizations. they did the best reporting to date on the uncounted deaths.

their current headline is "FLORIDA AND TEXAS REPORT RECORD HIGH DAILY CORONAVIRUS CASES"

100% guarantee you that non-Fox news media will be jumping at the chance to cover the juicy story of skyrocketing cases and death
It doesn't matter because Americans have decided that coronavirus is something that only happens to Other People. The newspapers can report on it but it will be like reading about a tsunami killing people on the other side of the planet.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Brock Samson posted:

I want a day-by-day case count graph from the beginning of this for all states without New York. Any way to find that/any site offer it?
Number of new cases per day computed from data from the nytimes (https://github.com/nytimes/covid-19-data/blob/master/us-states.csv)

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Whether it can be detected and whether it is alive and enough to be contagious are two different things.
Isn't that what "viable" means?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jon Irenicus posted:

the first wave never ended
Like light, covid is both a particle and a continuous wave.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Sure, the guidelines say to put round pegs in round holes, but we've already decided we need to put the square pegs in, so working with experts we've formulated a plan where square pegs are round and therefore can be inserted into round holes.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zil posted:

People are hoping that, but I am strongly doubtful it will happen.
It will be very interesting to see what the situation is like in another month or two.

mystes
May 31, 2006

When even people in this thread are letting themselves be "forced" to go to theme parks, America is really hosed, lol.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I think he means "your" dead bodies.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Aren't the only things about chronic lyme that are controversial 1) the assertion that there are still bacteria hanging around way later that need to be treated with antibiotics and 2) people who aren't known to have had lyme claiming they have chronic lyme?

However I don't think the assertion that lyme can cause permanent damage that remains after the bacteria are killed is itself controversial?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Also the other funny thing about lyme is that they developed a vaccine for it but you can't get it now because America sucks.

mystes
May 31, 2006

My parents have decided they need to visit my niece who lives in New Hampshire. On the plus side I guess there aren't known to be that many cases where she is, but she's also been in contact with other kids.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Why would you stop wearing a mask and go to a bar just because things are declining?
And yet this is exactly how 99% of Americans seem to be thinking right now.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

I'm actually fine with wearing a mask at all times in public and never going to a restaurant again but it's an interesting thought experiment.
I originally thought that this is what we would eventually arrive at in a world where multiple strains of covid-19 were circulating forever, but apparently not since we just don't care about people dying of it every day without end.

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's cool that you're so eager to improve your health by going to a gym and giving yourself covid.

mystes
May 31, 2006

sullat posted:

At the playground with a group of kids, AMA. We'll see how well they've accepted social distancing.
If their parents cared about social distancing, they wouldn't be at the playground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Not enough. Open 'er up more!