Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Started playing this game a bit and I'm quite new so these are just my first impressions but:

1. Wizards are total assholes
2. Being a fighter feels pretty hopeless
3. Difficulty scales really fast

Like after level 3 every wizard enemy will take pot shots at you and teleport away constantly. I have no idea how a melee character is supposed to deal with that.

Also my typical thing of fighting in doorways against hordes doesn't work as well because enemies can squeeze past you if you stand one tile behind the door and if you stand in the door you're getting hit by 3.

Also magic pretty much requires you to go all in on a great stat (Mind) while being a fighter requires you to balance between body and mobility to get the higher talents.

The game being very grounded in old school DnD probably explains a lot, but I really have no idea how to get a fighter past level 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

IronicDongz posted:

I have won most of my fighter runs and I don't use ranged weapons very much(past the earlygame anyways, where finishing enemies often requires it) and I never get charge. My methodology revolves around getting dual wield immediately(much easier with lone wolf) and dual wielding spears as soon as possible, which are a fantastic weapon with high damage, decent speed, boosted crits, and reach, all on top of being 1-handed.

Having the motion required to dual-wield also makes running down enemies noticeably easier.

Web still really sucks for melee characters though.

Teach me your secrets. What's the build?

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Still get anywhere with a melee or ranged build but my gnome wizard just ascended to godhood.

Burned a lot of resources randomly exploring Zorbus and fighting Demogorgon. Had to flee because I couldn't match up to his regen and web wasn't working. Luckily I had 37 potions of blink that could get me out of trouble.

After that close run in with death decided to just end it and fight a god. Was able to beat the wizard with some orbs of anchoring which are amazing.

Does this mean that my future runs will have my character help me out in the final fights? That would be sweet.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Kinda sad that I didn't show up on the online leaderboards even though I had the option checked.

Is there some other step I'm missing?

nvm: made it as Antorm the Gnome

WarpedLichen fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 13, 2020