Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

ZogrimAteMyHamster posted:

I can breeze through the first SSW game and think nothing of it because I played it so much as a kid, but then I'll watch someone else play the drat thing and holy poo poo does the never-ending cheap stuff become horribly obvious.

super star wars is easy once you're in mos eisley, the difficulty is completely front-loaded. the jawas are more hardcore than the empire. if the sandcrawler and tusken levels didn't exist i don't think anybody would consider it a bad game. plus the mos eisley level has the most incredible 16-bit timpani sample you'll ever hear in your life

now, super empire...that's a totally different story

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Aug 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I played a bunch of the Star Wars game boy game, I think the Death Star is probably what ended most playthroughs. You can play as Han and Leia but Luke is the only character with more than one life.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Dark Cloud 2. It's probably my favorite game of all time but after getting the platinum/100% on the PS4 rerelease I don't think I'll ever complete it again. It took over 100 hours.

Manuel
Sep 11, 2001

Zelda 2. With help from the Game Genie, of course.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Marcade posted:

Dark Cloud 2. It's probably my favorite game of all time but after getting the platinum/100% on the PS4 rerelease I don't think I'll ever complete it again. It took over 100 hours.
100% Spheda in Starlight Canyon? :suicide:

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Jazerus posted:

super star wars is easy once you're in mos eisley, the difficulty is completely front-loaded. the jawas are more hardcore than the empire. if the sandcrawler and tusken levels didn't exist i don't think anybody would consider it a bad game. plus the mos eisley level has the most incredible 16-bit timpani sample you'll ever hear in your life

now, super empire...that's a totally different story

The Tusken levels are pretty easy (aside from some bullshit platforming which is offset by the secret stash of extra lives); the biggest (and final) run-killer in that game is the Kalhar Boss Monster encountered at the end of Cantina Fight, which is just a chaotic RNG-loaded heap of poo poo and practically impossible to beat without the Plasma Blaster. There's absolutely no strategy; you just blast at the fucker while jumping and hope that amidst all the punches and headbutts coming your way that he dies before you do.

And to think, the only canon appearance of this bastard was as some holographic claymation thing on a circular chessboard.

That is absolutely the best 16-bit timpani sample though.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I played a bunch of the Star Wars game boy game, I think the Death Star is probably what ended most playthroughs. You can play as Han and Leia but Luke is the only character with more than one life.
Oh dear lord no this game can definitely gently caress right off with its fall-damage.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

well i assumed you'd be playing as chewbacca, because when a game gives you the chance to play as chewbacca you take it, in which case you can outlast the cantina boss pretty easily even with the homing missile gun unless you're playing on jedi

don't play on jedi

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

OneEightHundred posted:

100% Spheda in Starlight Canyon? :suicide:

Not the worst part. Grinding levels for monster transformations...

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Marcade posted:

Grinding levels for monster transformations...
At least you can swap cheese with high-level enemies for that. (I think.)

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

super mario bros 3. i did a full run without using whistles which was fun but the game wore me down with autoscrolling and maze levels, especially towards the end. id replay super mario world but not 3

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Jazerus posted:

don't play on jedi

A lesson I refuse to learn :colbert:

Seriously though, gently caress that difficulty.

Shibawanko posted:

super mario bros 3. i did a full run without using whistles which was fun but the game wore me down with autoscrolling and maze levels, especially towards the end. id replay super mario world but not 3

I love SMB3 but the thought of sitting down and dedicating the best part of a day to completing every level of the NES original is painful. Playing through the entire All-Stars version in bite-size chunks however (thanks to the Save & Quit option) is always a joy. Of course I could just use savestates or something for the NES version but in that case I might as well play the SNES one anyway.

ZogrimAteMyHamster fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Aug 13, 2020

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

A lesson I refuse to learn :colbert:

Seriously though, gently caress that difficulty.

I love SMB3 but the thought of sitting down and dedicating the best part of a day to completing every level of the NES original is painful. Playing through the entire All-Stars version in bite-size chunks however (thanks to the Save & Quit option) is always a joy. Of course I could just use savestates or something for the NES version but in that case I might as well play the SNES one anyway.

yeah i did literally every level and tried not to use p wings until world 7, i left my famicom on overnight like in the old days because doing it in one day is crazy

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

If you've got a flashcart someone made a hack that saves after every level.

Anyway, Super Paper Mario. I was super disappointed in it when it was new but I bought it so damnit I was going to play it. Played through chapter 1 again the other day and it still just isn't very interesting.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Super Paper Mario is a game where I can't in good conscience call it flat out bad, for the simple reason that it's really, really loving funny, but... it definitely feels like a bunch of good writing in search of a decent game

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

hot take alert: mgs4

the muddy brown colors and tedious cutscenes, combined with levels that just eh weren't that interesting, I'm good.

Loved it the first way through, and have very fond memories of it, but I'm good with keeping the rose tints on.

oh yeah and nthing Zelda 2

Famethrowa fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 14, 2020

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Dragon Warrior 2. After I finally beat the last part of that game I had enough.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Famethrowa posted:

hot take alert: mgs4

the muddy brown colors and tedious cutscenes, combined with levels that just eh weren't that interesting, I'm good.

Loved it the first way through, and have very fond memories of it, but I'm good with keeping the rose tints on.

oh yeah and nthing Zelda 2

I'm gonna re-play it if I ever finish all the other games I have.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Goldeneye on N64. Specially on 00 Agent. I just can't use those controls/controller to play that game anymore. It feels so unituitive and the stick sucks.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Fists Up posted:

Goldeneye on N64. Specially on 00 Agent. I just can't use those controls/controller to play that game anymore. It feels so unituitive and the stick sucks.

Yeah, I played it recently and I can't say I enjoyed it with the control scheme. It kind of wondered what made me enjoy it since I had played FPS's at that time with a mouse.

For me its gonna be LOZ: Ocarina of Time. I've tried getting into playing it again but I've been spoiled by the likes of Twilight Princess and Wind Waker, both of which I've played through more than once. Even the earlier ones were more fun. Oh, and I'm going to be mr.unpopular but I can't stand Majora's mask.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
Legend of Dragoon. It was lots of fun when it came out, but when I replayed it, it felt pretty repetitive, and the final boss is such a boring slog. There was a moment in that ridiculously long, dull fight where I realized I was out of MP and would probably die in a few turns, and I just accepted then and there that if I died I would never bother coming back to finish.
The boss died first, and I was too numb to derive any enjoyment from the ending.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Skyshark. A NES shooter that is extraordinarily unforgiving. You memorize your way to victory (fight GIANT BOMBER) and then the whole thing loops and you get to do it again.

I tried playing it on a emulator recently and I couldn't get past the first section of the first level. Dark Souls can be hard and mean to the player, but it's positively welcoming compared to some old games.

After having just finished Equinox (SNES), it can gently caress right off.

That title rings a bell but I can't place it. An RPG?

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
One of the last of the old school British isometric maze action titles, this time on SNES. Sequel to Solstice on NES

I also remember it for the ad, which oversells it a smidge.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Hahahaha that ad loving owns

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Coffee Jones posted:

One of the last of the old school British isometric maze action titles, this time on SNES. Sequel to Solstice on NES

I also remember it for the ad, which oversells it a smidge.

"Our game is a curse that will doom your bloodline" is certainly a way to sell a game I suppose.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Ah, yes, the famous SNES joystick.

(That game looks rad. Is it kind of the same genre as The Immortal on NES?)

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

food court bailiff posted:

(That game looks rad. Is it kind of the same genre as The Immortal on NES?)

It's just as infuriating, if that's what you mean.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

food court bailiff posted:

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark that the game originates from the Amiga or something and they just used the ad copy more-or-less unchanged.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark that the game originates from the Amiga or something and they just used the ad copy more-or-less unchanged.

Nope. Only ever released on the SNES.

Honestly, it wasn't terribly uncommon in the 90s to hear people referring to any sort of video game controller as a "joystick". It wasn't like....super duper widespread everyone did it. But I heard it plenty of places.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Honestly, it wasn't terribly uncommon in the 90s to hear people referring to any sort of video game controller as a "joystick". It wasn't like....super duper widespread everyone did it. But I heard it plenty of places.

Joystick, joypad, control pad, even just plain old "pad"... oddly enough, the now-common term "controller" was the one I don't remember hearing back then.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

whoops wrong thread

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

yeah to my dad everything that was used to control a game was a joystick, probably because that's what old ataris always used

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

controller

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
its not retro but i'll never play witcher 3 again. besides how long it takes to beat, i feel like i got the absolute perfect endings witcher ciri, hosed over gaunter, ciri hangs out with me at my estate.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Dynasty Warriors 2. Over the last 18 months I've gone through 3/XL, 4/XL, 5/XL and 8/XL again and had a hell of a time with it all (admittedly much of it was with a buddy which automatically makes any DW game a lot more fun to plow though), but I took one look at DW2 and thought "nah". Last time I touched it, I gave up after one battle. It's by far the shortest (in that it has the least battlefields to gently caress about with) but also so horribly limited that slapping hordes of enemies around in DW2 takes forever; it just feels so weak and unsatisfying.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Remembered one. Shiren The Wanderer. I specifically played the DS version to...well, not full completion, but I beat the main dungeon and a fair few of the extra ones. And then the game pulled some bullshit that lost me a sword and shield set I'd built up over like a month or so, and my back ups weren't even close to ready, and oh god I'm going to have to pray to the RNG gods for the stuff I need to build them up and start another back up set and so on. So....I ragequit so hard I sold the game the next day.

I've tried playing it again, using the Super Famicom version, and I just can't do it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Giant: Citizen Kabuto. Missed it back in the day, heard lots of recommendations including people whose taste I trust, played it, it was poo poo, beat it, it didn't get better. Well, curiosity sated I guess?

Tarkus posted:

For me its gonna be LOZ: Ocarina of Time. I've tried getting into playing it again but I've been spoiled by the likes of Twilight Princess
Funnily enough, I had the exact opposite reaction. Got a Wii, beat Twilight Princess (as one of the first games on new console so I was suitably impressed), got my hands on the GC Collector Disk(?) and decided to see the classic N64 titles, genuinely enjoyed Ocarina and was surprised how much of a blatant rip-off TP was. Pretty much ruined me for TP.

And I'm convinced that the Water Temple being so bad is some kind of a meme in-joke I'm not getting. It was comfy and not even in the lower half of my dungeon ranking.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 17, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pierzak posted:

And I'm convinced that the Water Temple being so bad is some kind of a meme in-joke I'm not getting. It was comfy and not even in the lower half of my dungeon ranking.

From what I've heard, it seems like the Water Temple is a real pain for first-time players but a more methodical approach trivialises it.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

It helps to not be 9 too.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It really helps to play it on the 3ds where you don't have to open the pause menu every time you want to put on or take off the goddamn boots. Gee it sure would suck if doing that was a central dungeon mechanic.

Incidentally og shadow temple also bites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

FoolyCharged posted:

It really helps to play it on the 3ds where you don't have to open the pause menu every time you want to put on or take off the goddamn boots.
Wasn't Water Temple made noticeably easier on the 3DS, specifically because of the complaining?
I agree about the boots though, inventory juggling was really clunky in more ways than one.