Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Just did my first shrine path. Came across a sign signaling me to bow to the frog statue. BAM, all of a sudden it's one of the Plagues of Egypt up in here. Frogs everywhere.

I'm playing GOTY for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Stroth posted:

Honestly from what I've seen this thing is absurdly well optimized. You should be fine.

It is. It benefits from the whole "end of generation" for the PS4. Every last bit of performance is squeezed out of the PS4, and it shows.

WaltherFeng posted:

Even on a PS poor the load times are reasonable while reloading and fast traveling. Plus the environments look insane with all the foliage and weather effects.

They actually added delay code in the load screens, because they found that load times with an SSD gave you just enough time to register that there was hint text, but not enough to actually read it (per Max Dood, not sure the veracity but he's usually pretty dialed in on the dev community)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The way I've been dealing with bears has been either:
  • Let it duke it out with Mongols/bandits and mop up after
  • Run away
I have found a third path. Headshot with an arrow after stealthing up to it. I'm an indifferent archer at best, so I just did a little chair dance when I pulled that one off.

Head shot is best shot
Bear drops like sack of rice
Moonlight on the grass

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

precision posted:

I'm still in act 1 so nobody spoil me but maybe the sequel could just be Ghost of Nippon and use real locations

Are these not real(ish) locations? I mean, Tsushima is a real place.

Also, some of these hot springs meditations approach Jack Handy level Deep Thoughts sometimes.

quote:

Sometimes I wish being a samurai were as easy as slipping into warm water

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Megasabin posted:

I found a weird area. Maybe someone can give me insight about what it does. In the 1st part of the island there is a field with purple flowers. Something's pasture. I found an weird clearing that was I had to crawl under rock and then slip through a narrow space to get to. As soon as I entered the area, Jin made a comment to the tune of, "what's this place?". The clearing had two buildings and some sort of statue on a pedestal with a sign to bow in front of it. When I bowed purple flowered swirled around Jin, but that's it.

This area is not marked on the map. It has no name. It can't be fast traveled to. It didn't seem to give me any sort of special item. Is this just a story location I got to early or something?

It's part of a mythic quest. Remember where that was, you'll definitely be visiting it in the future.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

precision posted:

Oh, I just assumed all the areas are made up :v:

This is basically the Samurai Movie version of the 1st Mongol invasion of Japan.

Then they can do Ghosts II: Ghost Harder is the 2nd Mongol Invasion when they try again a couple years later.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

ShootaBoy posted:

Beautiful land if
Only the deer would stop
Screaming all the time

Straight up, the deer freak me out.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

This game basically depicts Mongolians as irredeemable monsters right like it's kind of a Japan nationalist game?

They do have a bunch of cultural notes and artifacts about Mongol culture, which I thought was nice. And the baddie is a guy who studied and even admires Japanese culture (but ultimately dismisses it as weak and overly sentimental).

At the end of the day, they're an invading force looking to loot, pillage, and subjugate. Like they did during the invasion this whole game revolves around.

But I suppose if you're looking to be offended on the behalf of a expansionist empire from 750 years ago then knock yourself out, chief.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JBP posted:

History's most misunderstood terrorist rape empire doesn't get a fair shake.

You want some horror, read about their invasion of the Russian Steppes.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Hell yeah they are supposed to do that. I love that every time someone gets thrown backward in this game they fly in a huge arc like they're on the moon. Shoulder tackle and spear stance kick all day every day

Typhoon Kick is the god drat best. It's great for knocking fools off of cliffs.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

lol, I'll have to go through my captures folder, but I'm dead certain I snagged that exact same shot.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Spoiler Act I, I guess. Since someone complained I'll tag it.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jul 23, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

God drat, there is such heartbreak at times in this game.

Yuriko. :cry:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I get a real Geralt in Witcher 3 vibe whenever Jin interacts with Kenji.

Mostly when Jin's dialog consists of:

quote:

(sigh)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I've been grooving on the fully upgraded Sakai armor with the black dye. It makes the scales look iridescent, plus a 5 chain standoff is really fun.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Post Ishikarwa story 7 of 9:

I have a sneaking suspicion that Ishikarwa is gaslighting me

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I've seen elsewhere that it kicks in when you're, well, not exactly kicking rear end.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

need more Battle Shots and less standing around next to pretty things!!!

Having a drink with my boy, Kenji

... and sleeping off the resulting hangover

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

You get the stances by default I believe, it's the upgrades to them you spend points on. And there's a couple of resolve and health upgrades you get as rewards from raising your legend.

Outside of Stone, you get all the rest from Observing/Killing camp leaders and generals.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Man that run of main story at the end of Act 2 is just never ending crotch punches.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

404notfound posted:

Anybody know which merchants sell silk? I know some it's a reward from certain side quests, but I wanna hurry up and get these armor upgrades maxed out.

Check the Temple/City trappers, the ones at camps seem to only sell basic mats. I know I noticed one sold Iron/Steel/Gold. There's probably one somewhere that sells textiles also. If I was in the game right now, I'd check for you but alas...

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I started having a bitch of a time with later-game standoffs. I know all the sighting tricks --watch the lower body/draw an imaginary line-- but for some reason my timing has been off since last night.

So, instead of continuing my play as a Come At Me Bro Samurai, I've gone full on Ghost Ninja. And holy poo poo, I think I'm having even more fun chain ganking random patrols and sweeping through camps like an ill-wind.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Fuzz posted:

Also golden DLC horse Kage, FIGHT ME, YOU COWARDS! *stands off*

gently caress yes.

Also, found on reddit. I'm definitely going to have to do another play through to attempt the craziest assassinations I can.

https://i.imgur.com/hRxRb9C.gifv

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ice Fist posted:

I've got to take pictures of my different cosmetic options because they're all so good and I like all of them. Half my time is spent making sure that the build I'm using also looks cool.

The highest form of game play is Pretty Princess Dress-Up. That was pretty much the entire end-game for Goonsquad in GW2.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

JBP posted:

You can set the wind to find collectables from the map screen, but you need to wear the travelers attire.

You can also spend technique points to track things like Hot Springs, Bamboo Racks, Honor Pillars, etc...

By mid-Act 3 you should have enough points to have activated everything you can with them.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Yeah they're kind of a waste to get before you've maxed everything out, but I maxed out my skill points partway through act 3 so it's not that big of a deal.

Yeah they were the last things I filled out, because what the gently caress else was there to spend them on?

Also, I just realized the game lied to me.

Spoiler for end of Act 2:

quote:

You will have this horse the entire playthrough.

Stroth posted:

White is the color associated with death in Japan. They fit perfectly.

And even if you didn't know the cultural significance, it's not like they didn't give you a big rear end wink about it when you visit the white dye merchant. Who talks about death. A lot.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Jul 29, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Horse talk (act 3): are the options in A3 based on your A1 choice or are you always offered the same three choices in A1 and A3?

There's only the three horses with the base game, so same choices in both acts. For the deluxe edition, you get an extra choice of a golden tan colored horse in A1, and a Thin Brown in A3.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Unreal_One posted:

You definitely can't get dappled twice in a row, and get a new name to replace the first one. I think brown replaces your first choice?

e: Well now you're contradicting me, hmm. I couldn't find a dappled to replace, and I have only the base game

It may very well be because I chose deluxe both times. So it's probably determined by not allowing whatever you chose available in Act 3 so it replaces it with the brown. I think the game may have told me it was "deluxe" because it was in the place holder for it.

Manxome Foe posted:

I know there is at least one other wrapped scabbard look, there may be at least one more than that, though.

There's four total. Or at least that's how many I found so far and I'm at end-game

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 29, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

OK, I finished the game earlier today had to sit and let it soak in. Still need to mop up 3 more cheevos to get plat.

This is most sumptuously gorgeous game I've ever played. This game is Capital-A-Art.

The Main Story mission was great with incredible highs and devastating lows. I had to actually pause the game to think through the final gut wrenching choice it gives you. There was just so much heart put into this tale.

The voice acting (in English at least) was stellar.

Despite some minor flaws (stopping low cuts with a high block was funny to me, sparks and all), the animation was fantastic.

The fight system, while feeling anemic at the start, really gained depth with stances, different enemy styles and mixing in Ghost Weapons.

At no point did side quests or even just exploring feel like a grind. Everything in this game felt organic and natural.

This is definitely GOTY.

So, how long do we have to wait for Ghost of Tsushima 2: We Got The Band Back Together?

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jul 29, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Meshka posted:

I think this game deals with the first Mongol invasion. The second one comes two years later, so I assume we will get another island where Jim has to fight Mongols and Shogun forces and save Japan.

Yeah, that's my thought as well. A sequel would deal with the Second Mongol Invasion of Japan.

And I'll absolutely need Jin to say, "How can the same thing happen to the same guy twice?" at some point in the game.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Are these weapons you can get from these "Mythic Quests" functionally any different, or are they just different skins? I think I have one for a bow.

Pretty much every time I attack a Mongol base it devolves into me just slowly butchering my way through their entire group (I recently did some logging base which was the largest one I've had to deal with so far). The sticky bomb is immensely useful against large groups. I throw it, run away, then run back in and mop up most of the guys who are left stunned by it.

They're just skins.

While you can upgrade them, your weapons (short/longbow, tango, and katana) are the same ones from when you first get them.

Unreal_One posted:

The charms are way too much an "optimization is the enemy of fun" problem. They're a small enough boon that you don't really need to swap them out, at least.

There's two I end up swapping around.

Charm of Inari for gathering mats really speeds up weapon/armor upgrades and almost doubles your predator skin farming to upgrade ammo capacity.

Charm of Toxic Demise for messing fools up with Wind Chimes when ripping through camps like a silent but deadly fart.

But those are the only ones I swap (because I really, really like playing as a ninja I found). The rest I just went "that looks good" and then never looked back. The number of charms you accumulate is daunting to say the least.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jul 29, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Discovering this made me incredibly sad for some reason. Jin took everything from him. Even his drat hat. :smith:

Oh please he was whiny little baby. Boo Hoo, you beat me fair and square at samurai tryouts and now it's all your fault.

He totally earned this (spoiler for end of Act 1)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Jin, you cannot continue down this path. You must adhere to the code of honor before it is too late. Now join me on this ridge overlooking the Mongol camp so that we may plan our attack in secret.

Ah, but that's just tactics. Jin had the audacity to use weapons and methods to further a strategy.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

The wind trail shows up for the direction and rough distance on the map so you can fast travel in its general direction to narrow it down, and since fast travel loading times are only a few seconds even on a launch model it’s not that bad.

Yeah, that's been my strategy for hunting down vanity stuff. Just fast travel along the wind vector in the map. Basically triangulating a location. It takes a lot less time than one would fear.

If you need flowers slap on Travelers (it actually forces you to when select flowers in the map) and follow the wind. I've found the southern part of Toyotoma (Umugi and Akashima Prefectures) to be particularly flower rich. I managed to collect around 120 of them to finish out my dye purchases in around 30 minutes. It's swampy and rice paddies, so a lot of lilies which seem to grow in clusters.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Finally got my plat trophy (I think that's the first one I've ever gotten)

It took me forever to get that last elusive "Hidden Trophy". And I only got it when I started getting a little frustrated.

It was Witness Protection. When you shoot a terrified Mongol running away. I never did that, but since I was getting teed off about that last cheevo, I ended up shooting that running rear end in a top hat out of frustration. Then BOOM got the achievement, the platinum and my colorful Ghost Armor dye, lol

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

Do flowers respawn at all or Is there a finite number of them on the map?

No. Finite number, but waaaay more than you'll need to unlock everything.

Romes128 posted:

So the flowers for (weapon spoiler)dart gun ammo is found only at cemeteries?

Both the poison and and the hallucinogen grow in pampas grass fields on every map

v1ld posted:

Do you eventually get enough experience to buy all the skills or do you need to be selective?

You can, but you'll need to need to go through the entire "Legend Grows" progression. So that's going to mean every story mode, side quest, mythics, clearing camps/villages/farms, rescuing peasants on the road, and yoinking a bunch of the wandering squads of bandits and mongols. I ended up with every skill activated and 1 point left over around mid Act 3.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

bunch of people unintentionally exposing themselves as dishonorable no-goods who have yet to accept bushido into their hearts itt
The ends justify the means, uncle. At least I don't get all my people slaughtered fighting like an honor-bound stone head. :colbert:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ostrava posted:

Huh? No, I was hoping it was going to lead to a quest or armor or something.

This is reward for exploration. You can look on the Internet how to get it (like every other "secret reward" in every other game) or discover it yourself. For myself it was a funny surprise. It's also funny as hell to gank a bunch of Mongols like some Miyamoto Musashi cosplay.

There are plenty of these type of wearable awards not tied to an achievement.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Jul 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

History Comes Inside! posted:

B-b-b-but it counts towards a trophy :qq:

Hush you.