Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

2 L O U - F A C T I O N S

--

The game colloquially known as Factions II has been cancelled. It's been a fun ride, ya'll. Keep the dream alive. :)

https://www.naughtydog.com/blog/an_update_on_the_last_of_us_online

--

Welcome to the TLOU pt 1, 2LOU pt 2, & TLOU FACTIONS thread. Talk about the series here. The HBO original show debuted on Jan 15th, 2023 and concluded on Mar 12th. Info on Naughty Dog's TLOU-themed standalone multiplayer title (colloquially known as Factions II) is anticipated sometime during the year as well (edit; DELAYED! ; edit 2 CANCELLED!), perhaps near June 2023 (edit; DEVELOPMENT HELL!)...which would be the 10th anniversary of the celebrated original multiplayer mode. At the moment it's mostly been radio silence on the development side in the studio, ND has only really been talking about the PS5 remake of the first game otherwise known as "TLOU pt I" (also for PC March 28, 2023) and the upcoming 2LOU: Remastered for PS5.

This thread is a carry-over from the launch of 2LOU in 2020 and will host Factions II discussion as well as full game series and television chat. Stay tuned for new updates.

--

N E W S

:siren: :siren:

The Last of Us pt II: Remastered announced! , releases Jan 19, 2024 with a host of upgrades including a roguelike survival mode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ye3st9z6jQY

https://www.naughtydog.com/blog/the_last_of_us_part_ii_remastered_announcement?sf183942367=1

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1725643846401560576?t=CyTizqt0GX5cmE8wT8WO6A&s=19

:siren:

The Last of Us pt I remake releases Sept 2, 2022 / PC release Mar 28, 2023

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2Ebc_OFeug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRKIWQUucj0

--

if you haven't watched James Howell's youtube series exploring the design of the first game here it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNoslgGRRhA

--

Endure + Survive

--

"What is Factions?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZAwLSgPNug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TN9YL_VgEc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgZk7Ir4zSw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5WivVNlRNM

--

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 15, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

heavy hangs the head of the druck man, nobody to help him complete a dumpster QTE

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Waiting patiently for 2LOU/BUGSNAX crossover DLC

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Narrator: Ellie never did learn to swim

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

univbee posted:

Just beat the first game and its DLC. I was able to do so only killing a few dogs.

Does a more detailed list of the graphic and intense story/cutscene content exist anywhere that can be used to mentally prepare? Not full-on spoilers, mind you, just generic "a man does [hosed up thing] to another man"-type of thing.

I'm not exactly sure. I imagine that some goons will be giving loose heads-up type warnings in here as they progress through the game's scenarios, which is fine as long as they spoiler that poo poo.

WE'RE ALL IN THIS TOGETHER!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Then get out of the thread! :)

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

but I am completely confused by the "gone too far" people.

Lately I've been hearing from friends that it's the dogs thing

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

They are a studio with a reputation for dog discipline :hmmyes:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dewgy posted:

I’ve played Tokyo Jungle enough to know that you do not gently caress with a Pom.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

univbee posted:

the player character is gay and a woman

Bingo.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ellie's character development might be one of my favorite things in all of videogames.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

Actually that's a different problem. There are two women in the game :stonk:

Oh, the one from that first full trailer that's rumored to be Ellie's mom?

Yeah, but Ellie's pretty jacked, too imo

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

They have female hunters in Factions, so not really sure. Some people have suggested that ND were worried about the optics of player violence against women...but that seems a bit suspect given the overall tone of the game. If it was in fact the case in 2013 then it's definitely not the case now.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

Man the guy that does Skill Up is a pretty reliable YouTube dude for reviews and he was not impressed by TLOU2.

Never heard of him.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

Sure I didn't have to, but I felt I owed it to her.

I only merc'd the surgeon.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

I'm in Australia.

Never heard of it.

:grin:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Zongerian posted:

This game is going to be legendary, they just can't say it's the ultimate exploitation cinema style video game because of all the articles about their labor practices

Yawn.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

hmm never thought of it that way, that they just cut them out for optics, makes sense tbh. i just assumed the hunters were all men for an in-lore reason, like mad max fury road, and this faction kept all the women locked up or something. at least the way they act in the hotel and stuff and the tank thing with the body on the front suggested. like the hunters were completely different from the other factions im at the sneaking out part of the first hunter bit and i cant exactly remember now but arent they cannibals later? or is that someone else, david right? because we've seen how hard as nails the women can be already in the other factions, like tess and marlene, theres also the women soldiers and later game pretty sure the firefly doctors in that end section are mix or am forgetting this now?

The hunters are distinct from the Davidstown crew I think.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

i think i noticed this the first time i played it but i guess i forgot, the house in tlou1 that ellie runs off too on horse back and joel and tommy chase after her is the exact same one from the 2's reveal trailer where shes playing guitar, right? looks the same to me?

edit: lol actually dont think it is now. just watched the reveal trailer again. these 2019 houses all look the same i guess.

Hard to say. That's near Tommy's camp so it's certainly possible.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

The haunting and life-altering impact of retributionary violence was something Druckmann decided to explore after a subordinate asked him for overtime pay.

Yawn.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

This is for you Veni

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Okay, now I'm awake.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Protons posted:

I imagine a hard life like that lived in TLOU would make a lot of people fit.

Such is life when you're dedicated to PUMPING BRICK

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

when did the dlc for tlou2 come out, was it before or after we knew what the ps4 looked like? i ask because i got to that bit in the dlc and noticed the console looked like a ps4 and thought we had another dkc3 situation going on

Left Behind came out 1 year after TLOU released, 7 months after the PS4 launched, so at about the same time as Remastered was released.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

so... ellie knows right? the way she was acting before the giraffe's show up, tells me that she already knew she was gonna die from getting the cure out of her, maybe marlene already told her. either way she knows what joel did.

She 1000% knows. But she's afraid of being alone.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

morallyobjected posted:

I don't think she knew that she was going to die, but with survivor's guilt, I don't think she was necessarily opposed to the idea. I think Ashley Johnson's interpretation was something like "Ellie knows he's lying at the end, but she doesn't care about that because she just wanted to know that someone was willing to go through all of that for her"

Oh yea, totally this. I meant to clarify that she knows Joel is lying, but she trusts his instincts even if she doesn't believe his words.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

game as sweet reversible cover

Nice

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

Good. I hate the growling Ellie cover.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

what difficulty is everyone starting on? i think i might actually go full survivor first go, really enjoyed no listening mode in 1, the intense feeling of it all was fantastic. i've been hearing normal is too easy too, so i might try survivor for awhile and if poo poo is too intense then drop to hard.

Hard, like the first one. Saving Survivor for if I want a repeat down the line.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Friendly Fire posted:

Whichever you choose, it's been reported that all difficulty levels have listening mode this time round so it's up to you to self regulate its use.

I'll probably play one step up from normal, whatever is called.

If that's the case I'm sure they'll add one without at a later date.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Well, one day away...7 years was a long wait

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

Did he reveal his job to be a tedious shitposter?

He's a dogsitter.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

C'mon, y'all, let's not fight. We've been waiting a long time for this game. And I'm gonna be waiting even longer for Factions II :eyepop:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

morallyobjected posted:

planning on tearing into it in like five hours. bless digital distribution

Lucky, I won't be able to play until tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for keeping a chill atmosphere up in here, my goons, this thread might start moving way faster than I can control in the next 12 hours, so if you members of chillgoon crew catch people being huge assholes or breaking thread rules please hmu in the PS4 thread, PM VideoGames, or just report the posts. If poo poo gets super toxic for whatever reason I'll just close the thread for a little bit and let ppl blow off steam.

:3: :thanks: :3:

Super excited!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vikar Jerome posted:

game as sweet reversible cover

:lmao:

The very first thing I will do after removing the plastic wrap while sitting in my car will be to slam open the case in a visibly angry way, pop the blu rays out to compulsively check their mirror sheen for no reason, then reverse the artwork on the case and say "okay."

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hello, yes, welcome all. As most people don't have the game yet all plot details should be spoiler tagged for a while. Thanks for keeping a chill mood. If you have any questions please consult the op first!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Veeg plays all games on easy, so you're not alone. I feel like higher difficulty adds something to the overall mood of TLOU, but it's not like you're missing plot beats by de-emphasizing combat, so go ahead and enjoy it your way :)