Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Isometric Bacon posted:

I started with a HOTAS, but the games huge deadzone issues turned me off it and I've been using a controller ever since. Supposedly those issues were patched, though I haven't tried it since. I also get bad RSI with a stick so I've not gone back.

Now after putting many hours into the game I think I'd only want the HOTAS for extra buttons for advanced tactics - i.e it'd be nice to have a fast way to switch shield direction, or overcharge lasers. On the controller these require you to hold a button down and push a direction, which generally means you lose half a second of manouvereability when tracking a target. My HOTAS doesn't have enough buttons for that though.

Immersion factor in VR is incredible, but it is a tall ask both for the headset costs and the PC hardware needed to run it.

I have a PS4, and the tall ask is the price for even a refurbished headset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage Kicker
Feb 20, 2009

End of the fiscal year, bitch.
MP's got time to order pens for year year, hooah?

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made

Lipstick Apathy

Isometric Bacon posted:

Now after putting many hours into the game I think I'd only want the HOTAS for extra buttons for advanced tactics - i.e it'd be nice to have a fast way to switch shield direction, or overcharge lasers. On the controller these require you to hold a button down and push a direction, which generally means you lose half a second of manouvereability when tracking a target. My HOTAS doesn't have enough buttons for that though.

This is pretty much my only point on the controller, flying with it is absolutely fine but it could use 5-6 more buttons

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

You can change some of those inputs on controller so that, instead of using the radial menu, you either hold, tap or double tap the button. So shields, for example, will be one tap to angle back, two taps to angle forward, hold to reset. (It's been a minute since I've played this so I might be mis-remembeting the bindings, but you get the idea). It takes a little bit to get the muscle memory down but imo it's way better than the radial menu.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Hulk Krogan posted:

You can change some of those inputs on controller so that, instead of using the radial menu, you either hold, tap or double tap the button. So shields, for example, will be one tap to angle back, two taps to angle forward, hold to reset. (It's been a minute since I've played this so I might be mis-remembeting the bindings, but you get the idea). It takes a little bit to get the muscle memory down but imo it's way better than the radial menu.

This is what I switched to and it works much better. Also having the targeting wheel as a toggle instead of a hold has been helpful. Much easier to select subsystems or ai

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah I changed that too. I don't like that kind of wheel menu at the best of times but Squadrons seek particularly finnicky, and changing it to a toggle helped a ton.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Finally sat down for a post-patch game and could only handle one because of the rush from how close it was. I think our MC75 was on single-digit health when we flipped to our final attack with the Star Destroyer still having shields up. Managed to take both shield gens, teammates got the power, and we popped enough weak points to finish the job. Vander sloops still work, but surviving after the run is so much harder without on-demand invincibility frames. No more dead-drifting around the capship unloading on it; both the capship and the enemy team are now capable of blowing your rear end right out of space if you're on a predictable trajectory. I mostly opted to skedaddle after picking up heat, but it is unbelievably hard to get back home if you've got an interceptor chasing you. Thank goodness for Sissubo's wreckage; Yavin would be impossible.

The meta already looks very different down here in high Hero / low Valiant: attack phases don't last anywhere near as long now that fighters are mortal. People are running way more bombers instead, though I still prefer a torpedo fighter for offense. Not a single Defender in sight, either. I might actually have to switch my loadouts to account for chewing through chonky health bars again; I've been running burst lasers + double guided secondary on my A-Wing and without rockets or the deeper basic laser ammo pool it struggles to chew through bombers.

And hell, even in an A-Wing it's much scarier having someone on your tail now. If you try a dead-drift flip you're just going to die immediately, so you've got to get much more inventive with terrain and/or count on your teammates to scrape the enemy off your tail. Game owns.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 24, 2021

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Recently upgraded my video card to an RTX 3070 and now load times appear to take forever?? Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

I've got an NVME SSD so disk access shouldn't be an issue at all.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Recently upgraded my video card to an RTX 3070 and now load times appear to take forever?? Has anyone else experienced anything similar?

I've got an NVME SSD so disk access shouldn't be an issue at all.

Online or single player? Pretty sure online simply waits until all the clients have finished loading, remembering that most of the clients are very likely probably still on original xbone and PS4s and their mechanical hard drives.

When I hit start practice on my NVE SSD it starts up very fast.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
It's online. Maybe I just hadn't played in a while and forgot what load times were.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Queue up 2 points short of valiant. Roll imp - bad sign. Teammate leaves within the first minute - worse sign. Squeak a promotion win anyway - priceless. I legit yelled out loud when the MC75 popped. Can't remember the last time a game got me to do that.

Still seeing a ton of bombers on offense though I remain unconvinced compared to torp fighters.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

Corbeau posted:

Queue up 2 points short of valiant. Roll imp - bad sign. Teammate leaves within the first minute - worse sign. Squeak a promotion win anyway - priceless. I legit yelled out loud when the MC75 popped. Can't remember the last time a game got me to do that.

Still seeing a ton of bombers on offense though I remain unconvinced compared to torp fighters.

Torps are definitely great with X-Wing/Tie-Fighter, but the viability is a bit more mixed on the capital ship phase, as you start to play against competent teams who know to look out for them.

My most recent opinion is that if you play a safe and prolonged assault on the MC75 (such as with piercing torpedoes), the other team will just flip morale via farming AI and you will have little to show for your attack. So doing a single coordinated run of mosquito tie-bombers on the shield gens is worth it if you manage to take out both shield gens on your first attack wave. The big problem is getting people to not trickle in on the MC75 when everyone else on your team is still mid-field or further behind.

Varkas fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jan 25, 2021

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I've been playing bomber fighters to try and get out of my interceptor role comfort zone. My biggest issue with the bomber fighters this far is you only seem to get one big torpedo. Are you guys constantly returning to the cap ship or the frigates to reload?

It's certainly working for me better than straight bombing runs though, and I'm getting reasonable cap ship damage. In a bomber I'll be intercepted before I manage to get more than one torpedo off anyway.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Isometric Bacon posted:

I've been playing bomber fighters to try and get out of my interceptor role comfort zone. My biggest issue with the bomber fighters this far is you only seem to get one big torpedo. Are you guys constantly returning to the cap ship or the frigates to reload?

It's certainly working for me better than straight bombing runs though, and I'm getting reasonable cap ship damage. In a bomber I'll be intercepted before I manage to get more than one torpedo off anyway.

In the X-wing/Tie-Fighter, you get the following torpedo counts for each type...
Ion: 1
Proton: 2
Piercing: 3

So yes, you'll want to get your torpedoes in, and go back to resupply. When I'm running Proton+Piercing I usually just do 2 runs before resupply.

Here's a guide I did on Torpedoes with a focus on 3 different load out slots depending on the attack phase: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8R9-O7AWL0 (should work pretty well against the lower ranks who aren't aware of torpedoes). I would suggest doing method #2 and making sure your shields and engine boost is topped off before you start your runs. Lately I've been thinking to take additional hull instead of reflec, and have a support use squadron mask instead to help with your approach.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I'd never drop reflect hull on a solo queue torp loadout. If the enemy team isn't communicating then the removal of radar sharing is just so huge for getting in and out alive.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Yeah I dunno I still fly and love torp fighters but I think coordinated bomber runs are absolutely the way to get damage done now, and never really weren't even when ints were immortal.

Like anything else though, it requires communication with your team. Don't just grab a TIE Bomber or a B and vaguely hurl yourself at a defended capship just because you see friendly blips nearby.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

What's the typical loadout for a coordinated bomber run? My brother and I often play together and we used to do paired x-wing/tie fighter torp runs to get some damage in on shield generators/whatever, but we could swap to tie bomber/y-wing runs if there's something there. I assume rotary cannon, assault shield, proton torpedo, and then rush under the shields and hover next to the shield gens?

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Arcturas posted:

What's the typical loadout for a coordinated bomber run? My brother and I often play together and we used to do paired x-wing/tie fighter torp runs to get some damage in on shield generators/whatever, but we could swap to tie bomber/y-wing runs if there's something there. I assume rotary cannon, assault shield, proton torpedo, and then rush under the shields and hover next to the shield gens?

For Tie-Bomber: +Hull, Rotary, Beam cannon, and then whatever else you prefer. Start building your boost and shunting to weapons as you move across the map, then mosquito away. Here's an old video I did before hull nerf and turret buff, but the fundamentals still apply: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJRBVy0h9hQ

For Y-Wing: I'd do something like this: https://clips.twitch.tv/InquisitiveScaryPrariedogDoggo

The "new" thing I've been practicing that has worked pretty well so far is one X-Wing that does the "Ion Donk" to temporarily disable the shield gens in a single run: https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveSquadrons/comments/l0j9tj/isd_double_shield_stun_no_audio/ You have your team on standby to focus the shield gens as soon as you pull this off. If nobody is pressuring you after this, you might even want to follow up on the power system (since ion will outright destroy it with ease)

Varkas fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 25, 2021

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Varkas posted:

For Tie-Bomber: +Hull, Rotary, Beam cannon, and then whatever else you prefer. Start building your boost and shunting to weapons as you move across the map, then mosquito away. Here's an old video I did before hull nerf and turret buff, but the fundamentals still apply: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJRBVy0h9hQ

For Y-Wing: I'd do something like this: https://clips.twitch.tv/InquisitiveScaryPrariedogDoggo

The "new" thing I've been practicing that has worked pretty well so far is one X-Wing that does the "Ion Donk" to temporarily disable the shield gens in a single run: https://www.reddit.com/r/CompetitiveSquadrons/comments/l0j9tj/isd_double_shield_stun_no_audio/ You have your team on standby to focus the shield gens as soon as you pull this off. If nobody is pressuring you after this, you might even want to follow up on the power system (since ion will outright destroy it with ease)

Thanks! Have you tried running the assault shield on the bomber to protect yourself on the way in, or is it usually enough to run reinforced hull & get teammates to cover you?

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Arcturas posted:

Thanks! Have you tried running the assault shield on the bomber to protect yourself on the way in, or is it usually enough to run reinforced hull & get teammates to cover you?

I've been a bit unsure, but I think assault shield probably makes the most sense for your other aux slot, since you've got enough firepower already with the rotary and beam cannon. The better teams are going to focus fire you like crazy as you come in, so it may totally mitigate most of that. You just gotta be sure your trajectory is all set before you activate it since you've got very little turning ability.

This works best if you've got at least one other teammate running in at the exact same time, and also if a support shields both of you + squadron mask. If you go down then at least your teammates will be getting damage in.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

PSA for stick users: when you're disabled by ion and the prompt tells you to hold/mash "any" button, this seems to be very incorrect. rockinsaki and I did some tests and it seems that it's actually a limited subset of buttons to break out quickly. One button that worked pretty reliably was boost.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Do I need a brand new joystick, or can I use an old Logitech Force 3D, or a Wingman or like the Sidewinder?

I want a joystick, but I don't want to spend 80$ on one when I can get one of the older ones for like $15

Boba Pearl fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 29, 2021

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Boba Pearl posted:

Do I need a brand new joystick, or can I use an old Logitech Force 3D, or a Wingman or like the Sidewinder?

I want a joystick, but I don't want to spend 80$ on one when I can get one of the older ones for like $15

Those will work fine. Goons have used oldass sticks to play IL-2 and War Thunder Sim Mode for years, and WW2 planes require much more precision to fly/shoot than Star Wars fighters.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Boba Pearl posted:

A cheaper joystick will demand that you use more keyboard bindings. Old school X-Wing and TIE Fighter was great with one hand on the joystick and the other on the keyboard, this works just as well like that. If you do VR, it'll be better to spring for a fancier one unless you're a confident touch typer.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Varkas posted:

PSA for stick users: when you're disabled by ion and the prompt tells you to hold/mash "any" button, this seems to be very incorrect. rockinsaki and I did some tests and it seems that it's actually a limited subset of buttons to break out quickly. One button that worked pretty reliably was boost.

Not a stick user but I found out, much to my chagrin yesterday, that the missile countermeasure button does not count as "any" button.

rockinsaki
Feb 6, 2004

Skinless Half-Asian Wonder

..The Rider of a white horse. This rider wears a crown and will deceive many with talks of peace, but he will wage war against the saints.

Varkas posted:

On the subject of ion disabling, dunno if this is common knowledge or not but you can use a repair kit to lower your building ion charge. this can save you from the occasional ywing ion tail turret, or keep you from getting disabled by ion rockets.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

I switched to the hold option to un-ion and I just hold LT (boost)

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Okay, so it seems like that applies to gamepad users as well.

I just know that when I was disabled, my Discord push-to-talk key on my keyboard worked, despite not being bound to any function in-game.

Thoatse posted:

For HOTAS it also needs to be a button on device 1 in the binding menu... that messed me up for the first month or so I played
That may be explaining a lot as well.

Varkas fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jan 29, 2021

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Varkas posted:

For HOTAS it also needs to be a button on device 1 in the binding menu... that messed me up for the first month or so I played

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Thoatse posted:

What in the gently caress

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
My button has always been my primary fire button to “hold” so I have never noticed any issue.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Much to my chagrin, I'm just now getting back into playing this (restarted on console, since the VR rig belongs to my roommate) and I've encountered some manner of bug on mission 1--I died after taking out the two jammers and when I hit Retry from Checkpoint, the imperial light cruiser seems to be.....missing. Cant find it on radar, my allies don't seem to be attacking anything...and the mission isn't ending.

Any fix for this or do I just need to restart mission entirely?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I'm trying to play the game again after taking some time off and it's failing to finish updating, it just tells me to Update again and then tells me the game is ready to play, but then when I try to play it it asks me to update again. :shrug:

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Xenomrph posted:

I'm trying to play the game again after taking some time off and it's failing to finish updating, it just tells me to Update again and then tells me the game is ready to play, but then when I try to play it it asks me to update again. :shrug:

Did you already do the obvious things like rebooting and doing a validation of the local files?

Also may be relevant:

Varkas posted:

I'd make a backup copy of your profile settings and then move/rename them. Check : <user folder>\Documents\Star Wars Squadrons Steam\settings (or something similar if you're not using the Steam version)

The BootOptions file in particular may be the problematic one.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Sure did! I just reinstalled Origin entirely and am reinstalling the game itself, we’ll see if that fixes it. :bang:

Edit-- it fixed it.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 31, 2021

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have a good recommendation for a simple joystick? I have a fancy (if old) HOTAS setup, but I'm thinking of getting a more lowkey joystick I can use for stuff like X-Wing and TIE Fighter that was designed for a 2 button stick+keyboard

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

jivjov posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for a simple joystick? I have a fancy (if old) HOTAS setup, but I'm thinking of getting a more lowkey joystick I can use for stuff like X-Wing and TIE Fighter that was designed for a 2 button stick+keyboard

If you want reasonably simple but very high quality, then VKB Gladiator or NXT are stellar. An old Logitech Xtreme 3D Pro is a cheaper, serviceable option that WW2 goons have been recommending for over a decade. You can use profiling software to map the extra buttons to in-game features, and X-Wing Alliance with the community mod supports lots of buttons.

I'll warn that the old X/TIE engine has a joystick bug that makes it a pain to control with modern sticks, as your view will go haywire if you try to make small, precise movements. I forget the exact thing that triggers it (I think it's moving the stick solely along the Y axis, which is less likely to happen when you make a large movement) but it makes the games pretty frustrating to play. The X-Wing Alliance community mod update mitigates it somewhat, but last I checked they couldn't fully fix it. Maybe they have by now?

It's a shame, as gameplay-wise those titles still hold up well. TIE is as much of a joy as ever when you get past the hardware quirks, and is in some ways superior to SWS (campaign pacing being the big one; there's more breathing room between the Big Fancy Set Piece moments).

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Anyone having frequent crashes as of late? I keep finding halfway through match I'm getting driver timeouts on my 5700XT. Hasn't been happening in any other games.

I've updated to the latest Radeon drivers, but still getting the same results.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Frisk and Gunny talking about stealing a Star Destroyer and jawing about commandeering a listening post to make money is giving me hard Wraith Squadron flashbacks

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Boba Pearl posted:

How the gently caress? I can't find joysticks for anything below $150 or so. Someone in this thread said it was because Flight Sim 2 wrecked the market for them. It's insane. Where are you finding $15 sticks?

edit: Oh you're a PC player. I was talking about PS4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

Here's an updated video I just did on taking out the MC-75 shield gens with a tie-bomber: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79sa__MynUY

It assumes you're familiar with "boost skipping" which is a new thing to some of us. You basically engage boost, drift, and then boost again within 0.5 seconds before the engine energy decay kicks in.