Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I haven't watched any gameplay videos, but as long as the radar works well, the visibility thing shouldn't be an issue in VR. Elite Dangerous's VR support is highly regarded, and the viewport is pretty narrow; sides and backs are all interior ship and interface stuff, so you mostly use it to glance up as you pitch. The radar and targeting systems are clear enough that you don't need bubble canopy visibility. Playing ED in VR is something you do mostly because it's loving cool, not because it makes you massively more effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Also that kind of situational awareness is for spotting targets. Radar doesn’t see behind in real planes (except the RWR but that won’t pick up heatseekers) so visibility is important there. In space games with rear radar, I’ve never, ever had the urge to look behind. The goal is to manoeuvre such that they either overshoot or you simply get behind them. It’s seriously not a big deal.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Visibility in VR is not going to make you more effective. Watching your radar and energy and everything else on your console and being able to maneuver effectively is what will matter. Like Tom said it’s a neat thing but if you don’t have it it’s not like you’re hampered at all. Also, if they keep to the typical flight profile pitch and roll will be so much more responsive than yaw it’ll force you to roll to where your target is above you and then pull up into it, which the ties have visibility for.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Considering most of your time will be facing forward for all your targeting and systems info, there might even be a case to be made that the TIE's, when looking forward, give you better visibility as you can see everything in front, while even on an A-wing, everything bellow the 'horizon' is blocked from your view.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

TK-42-1 posted:

Visibility in VR is not going to make you more effective. Watching your radar and energy and everything else on your console and being able to maneuver effectively is what will matter. Like Tom said it’s a neat thing but if you don’t have it it’s not like you’re hampered at all. Also, if they keep to the typical flight profile pitch and roll will be so much more responsive than yaw it’ll force you to roll to where your target is above you and then pull up into it, which the ties have visibility for.

basicaly VR is a double edged sword for a player. like you get more immersion and can probably see players flanking you easier, but its also IMMERSION so you have to watch everything every little detail and you probably have sensory overload or some poo poo.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

basicaly VR is a double edged sword for a player. like you get more immersion and can probably see players flanking you easier, but its also IMMERSION so you have to watch everything every little detail and you probably have sensory overload or some poo poo.

I’m pretty sure in universe this is why they made the ties that way. Focus their attention on what’s in front of them.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

TK-42-1 posted:

I’m pretty sure in universe this is why they made the ties that way. Focus their attention on what’s in front of them.

username/post.. well, thread combo

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

TK-42-1 posted:

I had assumed they depended more on instruments, and the window was a vestige, kind of like 60's jets.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

RFC2324 posted:

username/post.. well, thread combo

yeah i’ve actively tried to not post in case it distracts. also because it makes me feel like a huge goddamn nerd

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Madurai posted:

I had assumed they depended more on instruments, and the window was a vestige, kind of like 60's jets.

The Sienar Fleet Systems designer reading all these posts: "I just like, wanted it to be an eyeball, y'know?"

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Lobok posted:

The Sienar Fleet Systems designer reading all these posts: "I just like, wanted it to be an eyeball, y'know?"

its allegedly based on this:

so I'm gonna say Raith was more influenced by the eyeball than anything else

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Like most things in star wars, George Lucas just really loved his ww2 aircraft battles.

You know, when you sit back and think about star wars, outside of the 40 years of pop culture and legacy, and just on its own, its such a loving bizarre mash up, a collage of cinemas greatest hits, its a wonder it got made. "ok so, like you remember how cool the old flash gordon stuff was? So its like that but, wait no and theres samurai's like all those rad kurosawa films fighting with swords, but they're also inside an ice cool spaghetti western with cowboys and bar brawls, but then like, yeah then they start dogfighting in the battle of Britain, and they have to do like a dam busters thing. OH and yeah, and the samurai are also like, wizards man, like they can cast spells and stuff, but its going to be super gritty and realistic looking! So anyways, can I have some money now?"

Off topic even more, but incidentally this is where I think a lot of the disney star wars stuff has faltered, where its a star wars cargo cult. Its trying to be star wars and not a mash up of hot rodding, cowboys, samurai flicks and all the rest. The best stuff Disney has done, the mandalorian and rogue one I think succeeded because they were trying to be their own takes on genre films, and not STAR WARS© exactly, if that makes sense.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Tom Guycot posted:

The best stuff Disney has done, the mandalorian and rogue one I think succeeded because they were trying to be their own takes on genre films, and not STAR WARS© exactly, if that makes sense.

Couldn't agree more.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

There's 5 enemies, you should be able to roughly track where they are on the map.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Tom Guycot posted:

You know, when you sit back and think about star wars, outside of the 40 years of pop culture and legacy, and just on its own, its such a loving bizarre mash up, a collage of cinemas greatest hits, its a wonder it got made. "ok so, like you remember how cool the old flash gordon stuff was? So its like that but, wait no and theres samurai's like all those rad kurosawa films fighting with swords, but they're also inside an ice cool spaghetti western with cowboys and bar brawls, but then like, yeah then they start dogfighting in the battle of Britain, and they have to do like a dam busters thing. OH and yeah, and the samurai are also like, wizards man, like they can cast spells and stuff, but its going to be super gritty and realistic looking! So anyways, can I have some money now?"

That is precisely how it was origininally conceived, yes. It's also worth noting multiple studios passed on it.

Tom Guycot posted:

Off topic even more, but incidentally this is where I think a lot of the disney star wars stuff has faltered, where its a star wars cargo cult. Its trying to be star wars and not a mash up of hot rodding, cowboys, samurai flicks and all the rest. The best stuff Disney has done, the mandalorian and rogue one I think succeeded because they were trying to be their own takes on genre films, and not STAR WARS© exactly, if that makes sense.

Agreed wholeheartedly.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
But Rogue One is a bad movie that's only liked by Star Wars nerds because it's jammed full of fan service.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

smug jeebus posted:

But Rogue One is a bad movie that's only liked by Star Wars nerds because it's jammed full of fan service.

like most star wars movies, yes

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

smug jeebus posted:

They were testing to see if they could color outside the lines with the story, but still had to use star wars branded crayons because they answered to the mouse

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Nobody hates Star Wars quite like Star Wars fans.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

smug jeebus posted:

Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie, because it's the Dirty Dozen, But In Space.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

here is to hoping that they learn that the best star wars are the ones that aren't about the mainline plot

you can even have space wizards with laser swords, just make sure that they are like... solving mysteries about lost purses, not being jedi warriors saving the galaxy

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

smug jeebus posted:

I hated the prequels and sequels and frankly barely ever watch the originals either, but I loved Rogue One. Literally the only film that managed to Make Vader Seem Powerful.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Top Gun but in space

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

the pink panther but in space

V for Vegans
Jan 30, 2009

NtotheTC posted:

I hated the prequels and sequels and frankly barely ever watch the originals either, but I loved Rogue One. Literally the only film that managed to Make Vader Seem Powerful.

I always thought it was funny that everyone was so afraid of Vader in the OT when he only ever showed that he had the ability to choke one person at a time and then swing his lightsaber around like a grandmother fighting off a nursing home nurse with their purse. Then you see the rogue one hallway scene and he actually does look like the baddest dude in space. I just assumed that his robot limbs weren’t very good and that’s how he went from Gabby Douglas with a sword to geriatric zoro.

Also rogue one replaces the generic “every movie needs a love interest with a kiss” with a planet destroying explosion so that was rad.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Madurai posted:

Rogue One is the best Star Wars movie, because it's the Dirty Dozen, But In Space.
And it culminates with the best space battle in the entire series. Rogue One owns.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Xenomrph posted:

And it culminates with the best space battle in the entire series. Rogue One owns.

:same:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

V for Vegans posted:

I always thought it was funny that everyone was so afraid of Vader in the OT when he only ever showed that he had the ability to choke one person at a time and then swing his lightsaber around like a grandmother fighting off a nursing home nurse with their purse. Then you see the rogue one hallway scene and he actually does look like the baddest dude in space. I just assumed that his robot limbs weren’t very good and that’s how he went from Gabby Douglas with a sword to geriatric zoro.

Also rogue one replaces the generic “every movie needs a love interest with a kiss” with a planet destroying explosion so that was rad.

He was pretty cool in Empire Strikes Back as well, especially the fight with Luke. It’s very clear that he simply holds back his ability and applies the minimum force necessary. Rogue One conveys that very well, forcing him to actually go in and fight due to the time pressure.

Rogue One owns.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
"I can only comprehend a character's power through a physical display of martial prowess" sure explains a lot. Thanks goons, Rogue One is the best, don't know how I didn't see it before.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Rogue One.

It's good.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Rogue One owns, and I can't wait for the sequel that shows us how the second Death Star's plans got into rebel hands.

Stay tuned for the heroic story of sacrifice that is Manny Both-Hanz: A Star Wars Story

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I'm one of those weirdos who prefers Solo over Rogue One (though they're both fine films) because the former is basically a heist film with the trappings of an origin story - there's that genre film connection - whereas the latter is your fanboy buddy's tabletop RPG sesh, loaded with composite characters and fan service.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Madurai posted:

You haven't watched The Dirty Dozen in a long time, have you?

Besides, Rogue One's space battle still isn't as good as Jedi's. That one remains unchallenged in nearly all of science fiction.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

You haven't watched The Dirty Dozen in a long time, have you?

Besides, Rogue One's space battle still isn't as good as Jedi's. That one remains unchallenged in nearly all of science fiction.

That requires a serious application of rose-colored welding goggles to make true.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Madurai posted:

That requires a serious application of rose-colored welding goggles to make true.

In terms of sheer camera work and model making several of the vfx shots in Return of the Jedi are downright insane. Having to invent new filming techniques and then still getting shots that look as good as they do for Jedi is a testament to the skill and talent that went into making that space battle.

It also helps that it doesn't have its big moments ruined by a rushed Michael Giacchino musical score (he had two months to make it after Desplat dropped out) that sounds like a bad fanfilm "legally distinct" soundtrack. The ramming scene is great up until the Rogue One title music starts blasting over it and it pulled me out.

It's still a decent space battle and definitely the best one of the Disney films, but I feel that Rogue One's final act, while better than the first two hours of boring slog, could have used some better storyboarding to get a more coherent "flow" of the battle. As it is in the film, I think it looks nice, but it's more a jumbled collection of setpieces that don't transition well from one to the next. So it sort of mirrors the Battle of Scarif itself: a badly planned mission that succeeded thanks to the merits of the people who made it happen, rather than because of any smart planning. Because Rogue One had absolutely no plan going down to Scarif beyond "find death star plans and blow poo poo up as a distraction." Their whole evac plan was nonexistent and only worked because the fleet jumped in, without knowing what the hell they were going to do.

The whole battle is one big "gently caress it, we're doing it live" boondoggle. Thematically it works well to show the Rebellion finally working together when the odds are against them and they have know operational plan, but as a filmgoing experience it felt more like a rapid succession of scenes that needed a better editor to stitch them together in a more coherent manner.

Plus, you're putting the best half hour of Disney Wars up against the best half hour of Star Wars period. The whole finale of Jedi is the best.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 9, 2020

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f38a6pYL_jE

Vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A5TCZ7wvmE

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Both are good but the first is better.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

In terms of sheer camera work and model making several of the vfx shots in Return of the Jedi are downright insane. Having to invent new filming techniques and then still getting shots that look as good as they do for Jedi is a testament to the skill and talent that went into making that space battle.

It also helps that it doesn't have its big moments ruined by a rushed Michael Giacchino musical score (he had two months to make it after Desplat dropped out) that sounds like a bad fanfilm "legally distinct" soundtrack. The ramming scene is great up until the Rogue One title music starts blasting over it and it pulled me out.

It's still a decent space battle and definitely the best one of the Disney films, but I feel that Rogue One's final act, while better than the first two hours of boring slog, could have used some better storyboarding to get a more coherent "flow" of the battle. As it is in the film, I think it looks nice, but it's more a jumbled collection of setpieces that don't transition well from one to the next. So it sort of mirrors the Battle of Scarif itself: a badly planned mission that succeeded thanks to the merits of the people who made it happen, rather than because of any smart planning. Because Rogue One had absolutely no plan going down to Scarif beyond "find death star plans and blow poo poo up as a distraction." Their whole evac plan was nonexistent and only worked because the fleet jumped in, without knowing what the hell they were going to do.

The whole battle is one big "gently caress it, we're doing it live" boondoggle. Thematically it works well to show the Rebellion finally working together when the odds are against them and they have know operational plan, but as a filmgoing experience it felt more like a rapid succession of scenes that needed a better editor to stitch them together in a more coherent manner.

Plus, you're putting the best half hour of Disney Wars up against the best half hour of Star Wars period. The whole finale of Jedi is the best.

I'd say that your main point is exactly the main fault with ROTJ--an inability to follow a coherent chain of events as it's hobbled by cutting back and forth between three very different scenes. Endor would be a much better battle if it could be liberated from having to break the flow of action and keep checking in with the lame ground battle and Luke's daddy issues.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A5TCZ7wvmE&t=158s
Holy poo poo, I forgot how stupid this movie is. I mean good, this movie's good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Madurai posted:

Yeah, this is like exactly what i mean, it had that spirit of not just cargo cult starwars but that "what if like, the cool stuff in a heist film and spy thrillers, but also like, all the huey drops from all those vietnam war films and jungle fightin and stuff, and they're the dirty dozen" sort of attitude of just wanting to jumble together things the filmakers thought were cool.

You know, watching these back to back, as much as i loved rogue one, I do think RotJ is better. Like obviously the tech is so much better by rogue one, but the way the ballte of endor looks with all the sweeping shots flying around capital ships, the cuts between external and first person views in the ships and just... yeah i think its still a better choreographed space battle scene.