Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

i meant andor :shrug:

quote:

Loosely based on the “X-wing” novel series, the film will usher in a new generation of X-wing pilots trying to earn their wings.

lol christ i can only imagine what parts of the x-wing series theyre gonna borrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Statutory Ape posted:

i meant andor :shrug:

lol christ i can only imagine what parts of the x-wing series theyre gonna borrow
Definitely the space otter sex

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Without the power management this would be a horrible game of just circle turning into each other's six. This is what happens in Battlefront 2 and it's horrible.

For space battles you don't have the traditional energy management of WW2 dogfighting (of literally using gravity boosts) so they replaced it with literal energy management. Great idea and props to 'em, this game rules.

To be fair the power management is straight out of the old 90s X-wing games.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Xenomrph posted:

To be fair the power management is straight out of the old 90s X-wing games.

The boost/drift fuckery is new, though. At least, it wasn't in TIE Fighter (never played X-Wing).

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
It was never in any X-wing series title. It couldn’t have been since boosting wasn’t i introduced until The Last Jedi.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The Missile Boat had the SLAM system but it's not close to the same thing as what's in Squadrons.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Some ships had jammers way back when, but the pro move was to take one then dump all the extra power you got for it right back into engines.

rockinsaki
Feb 6, 2004

Skinless Half-Asian Wonder

..The Rider of a white horse. This rider wears a crown and will deceive many with talks of peace, but he will wage war against the saints.

Ravenfood posted:

Definitely the space otter sex

Are we talking about the one kid's Bothan girlfriend?

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

rockinsaki posted:

Are we talking about the one kid's Bothan girlfriend?

No. When Gavin asks about dating a non-human, the story of the time Corran hooked up with a Selonian gets told as example that there could be unexpected reactions, which in the case of the otter boning was an allergic reaction for both parties after the fact.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

The pauses between every set of dialogue in this game really interfere with me actually listening to any of it. The voice actors are doing a great job it's just the gaps between each line are a reminder that each line was recorded separately or broken up into smaller clips for some reason.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

https://www.moddb.com/mods/tie-fighter-total-conversion-tftc

Tie Figther total conversion mod released today and boy does it look good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEVrdwZ9bEk

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

That looks fantastic.

Will never get people who say you weren't playing an evil character in TIE Fighter though. Does everyone forget how that civil war ended? The Empire kidnapped the children of both sides' leaders and the two sides of the civil war united to fight the Empire. You then crushed their rebellion.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Super Bunny Hop did two videos about Tie Fighter and Star Wars Squadrons and his takeway for why the games are so effective is because they're specifically written with that brainwashing propaganda in mind. It's all about the way way music, the writing and the gameplay come together to really convince you that you're the hero fighting for a peaceful, ordered galaxy. You're not fighting revolutionaries you're putting down terrorists. Admiral Harkov isn't a double agent aiding the Rebellion, he's a traitor.

There's enough missions where you're fighting craven opportunists like Admiral Zaarin and legitimate pirate criminals that it muddles the waters when you face the Alliance. After all, you've been putting down pirates and traitors, what difference is it if they're Rebels raiding civilian convoys?

It's kind of chilling how effective the game is at making you think you're the good guy.

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Super Bunny Hop did two videos about Tie Fighter and Star Wars Squadrons and his takeway for why the games are so effective is because they're specifically written with that brainwashing propaganda in mind. It's all about the way way music, the writing and the gameplay come together to really convince you that you're the hero fighting for a peaceful, ordered galaxy. You're not fighting revolutionaries you're putting down terrorists. Admiral Harkov isn't a double agent aiding the Rebellion, he's a traitor.
Harkov's just a mercenary, who only joins the Rebel Alliance because they're willing to pay him a lot of money, and then he sets up his most valuable pilot in the most cynical way imaginable. He can go to hell.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

TIE Fighter doesn’t cast you as the villain, but it does make you a cog in THE Imperialist authoritarian machine. The civil war is a fantastic example - you secure their scientists so they serve your own ends, escalate their war and then use that to justify kidnapping the kids to secure peace by any means. If you didn’t escalate it, have the player see the two sides fighting so hard, you may see through the bullshit.

It’s all framing. Compared to the corrupt dickheads you interact with frequently, you’re one of the Good Guys in the Empire. It’s no mistake that the last mission of the original campaign then subtly tears that down by having you fly with Literally Darth Vader to save the Emperor to disabuse you of even that notion.

Then you chuck in Harkov being a corrupt traitor who serves the Rebellion out of his best interests alone, and you even rob the Rebels their full moral integrity. TIE Fighter does such an outstanding job.

The XWA port’s reimagined campaign isn’t that good though. I don’t like how they tend to add more stuff to each mission.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sombrerotron posted:

Harkov's just a mercenary, who only joins the Rebel Alliance because they're willing to pay him a lot of money, and then he sets up his most valuable pilot in the most cynical way imaginable. He can go to hell.

Considering how desperate the Alliance was in the old canon and still in the new it's no wonder they took Harkov's offer. That's part of how insidious the framing is in Tie Fighter. Harkov and Zaarin are assholes in it for themselves and taking them down is a net good. It puts you in the mindset that you're a hero bringing bad men to justice and helps normalize that behavior so you also gun down the Alliance without hesitation, because the Rebels were so desperate for help they would take the aid of traitors and war criminals to further their cause. And if Rebels had to get their hands dirty to get what they wanted then in the eyes of a Good Guy Imperial Pilot they can also go to hell.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 4, 2021

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

That looks fantastic.

Will never get people who say you weren't playing an evil character in TIE Fighter though. Does everyone forget how that civil war ended? The Empire kidnapped the children of both sides' leaders and the two sides of the civil war united to fight the Empire. You then crushed their rebellion.

See my comment to their trailer on YouTube, had the exact same thought.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

That looks fantastic.

peace, at last

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Should give us a Cavern Angels game and make us perform morally questionable acts in the name of liberating the galaxy instead.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I gotta try out this tie fighter mod. Curious, does it have the voice comms and briefings etc?

As mentioned before, so much of Tie Fighter was the in-between missions and story building that came from talking to your commander, mission briefings and secret order tattoos and what not. It took an excellent flight sim that was x-wing and laid ontop the (then) lucasarts storytelling magic.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Anyone still playing Squadrons? What’s the current meta? Dipping my toe back into this a bit but don’t care to get rolled every game. Is it just full of skylords now, like Ace Combat games get?

Playing on Xbox if anyone still is.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Midniter posted:

Anyone still playing Squadrons? What’s the current meta? Dipping my toe back into this a bit but don’t care to get rolled every game. Is it just full of skylords now, like Ace Combat games get?

Playing on Xbox if anyone still is.

The current meta is that if you like flying with cool people, you go to https://www.renegadewing.com and join the discord. Flying with us means you won’t get curbstomped by sweaty tryhards, but we’re also real casual and just want to have fun and blow up spaceships.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.
I still see a lot of new players all the time for the game, probably because of Game Pass and PS Now. I think they're actually the majority over the sweaty tryhards (like myself).

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Should give us a Cavern Angels game and make us perform morally questionable acts in the name of liberating the galaxy instead.

I'm hoping the Andor series will give us the impetus to get an ethically-dodgy Squadrons 2 someday.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
that TIE Fighter TC is awesome. the remastered campaign is interesting but suffers from having so much stuff going on that the missions feel like they come down to random chance or they're practically self-playing.

rockinsaki
Feb 6, 2004

Skinless Half-Asian Wonder

..The Rider of a white horse. This rider wears a crown and will deceive many with talks of peace, but he will wage war against the saints.

Madurai posted:

I'm hoping the Andor series will give us the impetus to get an ethically-dodgy Squadrons 2 someday.

Bring me closer to the One True Game with sabotage and starships

ShortThug
Dec 26, 2004

Yay!
I have a code for a PS4 copy of Squadrons if anyone wants it. Just PM me.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

So who else nabbed this from Amazon Gaming?
https://gaming.amazon.com/loot/starwars

It's an Origin game key btw, so if you already have it you can give it to friends or goons.

Looks like I still have the rando prime gaming cosmetics I claimed before I had this game.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I tried to play last night and I still had a leave penalty from like practically a year ago at this point

That was real fun to wait 9 minutes because I disconnected who knows when

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Can I still go on and go 20/1 in my A-Wing with rockets, or did they patch that poo poo out?

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Probably not? I still see A-Wings with rockets in my limited play.

Varkas
Apr 16, 2003

If I post before 5pm PST, PM my boss and tell him I'm fired.

jarlywarly posted:

Can I still go on and go 20/1 in my A-Wing with rockets, or did they patch that poo poo out?

You definitely still can if you get matched up against seals who don't know to not joust your rockets.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah to be clear my "probably not" was in response to "did it get patched out?"

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I haven’t played in months but they did nerf the rockets a while back, yes.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

fartknocker posted:

they did nerf the rockets a while back, yes.

More or less simultaneously with me not playing this anymore

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

Does everyone's mic just suck or does Squadrons apply some sort of weird filter for immersion purposes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

BeAuMaN posted:

Does everyone's mic just suck or does Squadrons apply some sort of weird filter for immersion purposes?

If they actually did some kind of sound mask to mimic the throat-mic sound of the movie intership radios, that would almost be cool enough for me to unmute it.