Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Zushio posted:

I will be hugely disappointed if the B-Wing does not show up in this game.

Also, Wedge is the only good Star Wars character. I read the X-Wing books so many times as a kid all my copies are falling apart. Both the Rogue and Wraith sequences.

Ewok pilot or bust. Yub yub commander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

George H.W. oval office posted:

I hope this turns out good.

*flashes arm tattoo*

Legit am waiting for UV tattoo ink to be...better so I can get an emperor's reach tattoo.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Jose Oquendo posted:

Have those been re-introduced into the CANON?

TIE Defenders have, but I doubt we'll see them.

Really hoping that the Defender and the B-Wing get added as post launch DLC. That'll let 5v5 multiplier have unique ships for all pilots

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
New article on Star Wars website says they haven't revealed all the ships yet, so my hope for the B-Wing lives on

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
One of the biggest scourges on gaming is this idea that if there isn't a patch or update on the horizon, a game no longer has value. Adding more stuff to the game into the future is great! But it shouldn't be expected for every single product.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Chillgamesh posted:

thinkin really hard about getting battlefront 2 because I want to star war

The game is "half off" on Steam right now but it's the bullshit version that's padded with a billion cosmetics, how often does the actual game go on sale? And is the playerbase currently a healthy size or nah?

ARCs and LAATs loving rock. I like V-Wings a lot too. The Droid fighters aren't super exciting though imo.

Prett sure the Celebration Edition is just how the game is sold now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

hemale in pain posted:

This looks cool but just please have a proper campaign pleaaaase.

Single player campaign already confirmed--it's not just a multiplayer game :)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Has anyone here tried the magnet mod trick for a saitek x52?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

fartknocker posted:

Having not played EA Battlefront II, what three different versions of the Falcon are there? I’m assuming different versions for OT, ST, and probably Solo?

Yep, Han/Chewie for the OT, Rey/Chewie for the ST, Lando/L3 for Solo. The ST version has the rectangular dish, and the Solo version has the capsule in the mandible gap and the sleek white paneling. Slightly different special abilities too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
my saitek's rubber grips have horrendously degraded :(

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Beans posted:

has this been announced anywhere?

there is a like an almost infinite number of examples where a game can run normally no matter what the framerate of all the collective players are. in fact the only game I can think of that locks the game speed to the lowest performing player is the Total War series multiplayer.

I think it was a joke reference back to the "mixed squadrons suck" debate

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lord Koth posted:

In complete fairness, for most of the EU the Remnant wasn't the actual threat, but rather random warlords popping up wherever - which could indeed get silly. And yet it STILL makes more sense than the "wraps up in a year" nonsense we've got now. The writers under Disney have made it pretty clear that they've got absolutely zero concept of the actual scale of a galactic conflict. Hell, even that would have been fine if they'd actually done something interesting with the future setting (so just quickly getting that period over with, even if it is silly, in order to move onto "30 years later").

But no, we got loving TLJ and ROS to utterly burn down every last ounce of goodwill. Note I don't consider TFA good either, and it was definitely a warning of just how badly mishandled the property was, but even with nonsense like Starkiller Base it could have been recoverable in the next one.

How did TLJ "burn down goodwill"? It's the only one of the ST willing to be anything beyond slavish nostalgia to the OT.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Nah, TLJ's space battles fuckin rule. That entire movie rules. Rian Johnson made the best Star Wars movie, and we're getting three more of them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Arcsquad12 posted:

Space having a gravitational pull strong enough to project a visible parabolic arc on laser weaponry strained my tolerance for silliness.

It's Star Wars. Fantasy. Not hard sci-fi. This is the franchise with laser swords and telepathic muppets. If you're here for realistic firing arcs and trajectories, you're in the wrong franchise

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

stopgap1 posted:

if you can do a hyperspace jump into a ship than there is no purpose to the death stars. that is all I have to say on that.

So....a one-in-a-million desperation move that requires massive expenditures of ships replaces all other forms of warfare? What?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

stopgap1 posted:

I more mean that if you can do that with a ship why not do it with a missile with a hyperdrive.

Becuase then you'd carve little tiny dimples out of things? Keep in mind that the Raddus jumping through the Supremacy just sheared a wing off. Didn't even knock out power or anything to the rest of the ship. It bought time for the resistance transports to escape, but it wasn't this insta-win-forever button

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Eastbound Spider posted:

Yeah, no, don't hold your breath for another rian johnson star war

He's got 3 more he's writing, directing at least the first.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Xenomrph posted:

Keep holding your breath

er; this isn't random speculation--his trilogy was announced back in 2017, and its one of the handful of projects that has it been cancelled or had a director change or anything. LFL has been incredibly consistent about letting us know when a project changes hands or gets cancelled, and this trilogy hasn't been

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

BoosterDuck posted:

Were the arching laser cannons when hux was knocking out the resistance escape pods?

There's an arcing effect on pretty much all the cannon fire from the supremacy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ringo Star Get posted:

For you X-Wing nerds, I have a classic X-52 HOTAS that I’m thinking of selling if anyone wants it. It’s the silver and black one, and I’m pretty sure I got it more than ten years ago. The rubber grips degraded so I removed them, it’s just plastic that remains now. Still works but I’m just trying to get rid of clutter and also condense down to just a single joystick. I was going to put it up for sale on the buy/sell portion of SA but figured you cool pilots would want a shot at it.

I’m thinking $50+ shipping - I’ve used it for IL-2: 1946, IL: BoS, Elite, even Euro Truck Sim as a quick joke.

What's the technique for removing the grips? Cause I have the same one, with nasty sticky rubber

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I found the online tutorials for using magnets to fix saitek x52 drift--has anyone performed that procedure? Does it work as well as YouTube tells me it does?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks for all the tips on Saitek stick cleaning. Looks like we're back in action.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

NtotheTC posted:

Wedge will speak to me directly in VR and we will fly missions together :3:. I literally cannot imagine a bigger teen fantasy being fulfilled

Same same same same. If I get to fly a mission alongside wedge I will replay it 100 times.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
My name is close enough to "Janson" that I always imagined I was his gunner in ESB as a kid

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
There was a post launch epilogue to BF2's campaign with 3 additional missions, but it's pretty clear that that was made at the same time and just released later.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Trevor Hale posted:

It ends with two people going on the run with one of them being pregnant.

Which sets up a connection to Rey.....how?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SolarFire2 posted:

It's sad to me that because the Sequel Trilogy kinda turbo-hosed the lore, the story of this game is an inevitable dead end. Or at least a hopeless cause for the republic.

"No matter how hard you fight and how many sacrifices you make, the republic you're fighting for is gonna be exterminated in about twenty years. So have fun with that!"

On the other hand, the entire ST only spans a year, and hosnian prime was the only major New Republic loss...so there's some degree of hope that things get better shortly after TRoS (though that movie's insistence that everything is futile and the war will continue forever casts some doubt on that)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Drone posted:

Or just ignore that the sequel trilogy exists and be blissfully happy :shrug:

I'm not gonna throw the baby out with the bath water--TRoS failing to stick the landing doesn't take away the fact that The Last Jedi is the single best Star Wars film of the entire franchise and overall just one of the best stories set in that universe.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

TK-42-1 posted:

The other day I learned that starkiller base is Ilum where the jedi got their lightsaber crystals but it was mined too much and the big trench was a natural formation.

why this had to be explained i still don’t know

If you play Jedi Fallen Order - to bring this back around to video game chat - you find out that the trench isn't actually natural, its the empire having stripmined it for kyber to use in the Death Stars, and the First Order just came along and mounted a big fuckoff gun into the trench.

Trevor Hale posted:

Pretty much where I’m at

A sensible correction to my original statement - yub yub

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Much to my chagrin, I'm just now getting back into playing this (restarted on console, since the VR rig belongs to my roommate) and I've encountered some manner of bug on mission 1--I died after taking out the two jammers and when I hit Retry from Checkpoint, the imperial light cruiser seems to be.....missing. Cant find it on radar, my allies don't seem to be attacking anything...and the mission isn't ending.

Any fix for this or do I just need to restart mission entirely?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Anyone have a good recommendation for a simple joystick? I have a fancy (if old) HOTAS setup, but I'm thinking of getting a more lowkey joystick I can use for stuff like X-Wing and TIE Fighter that was designed for a 2 button stick+keyboard

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Frisk and Gunny talking about stealing a Star Destroyer and jawing about commandeering a listening post to make money is giving me hard Wraith Squadron flashbacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I really hope Squadrons gets a full sized sequel. Multi-era, full campaign, followup with the lovely friends from Vanguard squadron...and let me fly more missions alongside Wedge