Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Excellent choice of Star Wars music for the trailer. I've always enjoyed that section from ESB

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Lobok posted:

Were missiles added originally just because it's like a fighter jet game? I don't remember anything other than lasers in the main trilogy and for how the battles were supposed to be like old World War dogfights that makes sense.

Concussion missiles were introduced around the time of RotJ, I want to say in the novelization of the movie? They're what the Falcon used to blow up the reactor in the Death Star.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

This is... kind of a weird take? imo the space dogfights are the heart and soul of the franchise, and TLJ only had one, at the beginning. My brain is actually broken in exactly the right way to enjoy the space B-17s, but after that the film has nothing, and even goes out of its way to blow up all the Resistance Starfighters and kill their pilots to loudly signal "THERE WILL BE NO MORE SPACE DOGFIGHTS IN THIS FILM, HOPE YOU LIKED THE SPACE BOMBERS 'CAUSE THAT'S ALL YOU GET." Compare that to literally every other film in the franchise (With the sole exception of RoS, which gets negative points for bringing back Wedge and then sticking him in a turret instead of a cockpit), and it's pretty disappointing.

Remind me where the space dogfights in Empire are? I guess strafing the AT-ATs or the asteroid sequence?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

see, id watch a TOP GUN type movie/show with new republic/rebel pilots. or gently caress even imperial pilots.

That was basically the hook for Resistance, but I didn't much watch that past the first couple of episodes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Oh my god, they still make CH Flightsticks?? I thrashed the hell out of one of those in the original X-Wing.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Warad posted:

If there isn't a shady guy in a robe standing around in the furthest corner of the ship in the Empire campaign I'm going to be very disappointed.

:hmmyes:
Don't be cowards EA.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I've been playing X-Wing Alliance again with the fancy graphics mods to get myself hype for Squadrons and I've found that anything with a laser turret rips me in half. Apparently I am Bad At Games now. :corsair:

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

axeil posted:

FYI the fancy graphics mods for XWA make laser turrets far more accurate and deadly, to the point where if you need to do a bombing run you should turn off your targeting computer :v: and dumb fire your payload. If you don't the capital ship turrets will be able to target and shoot down your torpedoes.
I loving knew it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Dpulex posted:

Is there a ship in the sequel trilogy that is better than anything in the prequel trilogy? Lol of course not because the ST is bad. Some people might think the TIE silencer is neat, but they are wrong.

The U-Wing has a swing wing which is just inherently cool, but I guess Rogue One isn't technically a sequel film so there you go.