Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

NtotheTC posted:

I really hate to go there because its :can: but another reason I liked Rogue One is because it finally had the balls to show a morally ambiguous (read: outright sociopath) in Cassian Andor. I don't think any side in a war should be portrayed as 100% good.

given that andor spends the whole film being a guilt-ridden mess over the actions he has to take 'for the cause' I'm not sure that fits the definition of a sociopath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
a bunch of those comments are precisely things you could level at tie fighter

'why is the rebellion attacking outpost d-34 with wings of imperial shuttles? :psyduck:'

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
hell yeah i can have an x-wing in green squadron colors goty

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
i wish everything wasn't so dang fast so there was more time to appreciate how nice everything looks

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Isometric Bacon posted:

Why do modern games never tell you your drat ping anymore? Is it some user retention thing? Do they think notifying players that their connection is poo poo will put them off the game?

As someone in Australia, a country with the triple trifecta of geographical distance, poo poo internet infastructure and small population, it'd be really nice to diagnose whether some of the issues I have are connection related or not. Some games the TTK is really short and I get 10+ kills. Others I will wail on enemies for a long time with overcharged lasers and their health will barely even blip, only for me to die without warning from surprise sudden fire.

It does a ok job of hiding the lag - ships don't bounce around but they don't appear to take much damage. I realised I was super lagging when I hit a asteroid, recovered, then the server decided to rubber band my collision to another point on the asteroid.

yeah, I just experienced this. generally the games are good, but maybe one in ten is some kind of weird hell where there's no visible lag - until I start firing on an enemy and I'll do zero damage whatsoever.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
the thing about squadrons is that it does so much right, and yet the small details are so bothersome. in advance, I'll admit that this is dumb poo poo to care about, and more a consequence of how games change than any design decision.

what people loved about the x-wing and tie fighter games was how much they expanded the world and featured ships that'd been mentioned in the EU. dreadnaughts, corellian gunships, z-95s, whatever. you had a wide range of craft that fulfilled a variety of roles. and the overall presentation of these craft was in something that resembled how real world militaries operated. some ships, like star destroyers, were monumental vessels that could change entire missions by merely appearing. every individual ship had 'weight' to it, in a sense, even if that was only a limitation of the hardware.

then in the very first mission of squadrons, the imperial blockade of fostar haven consists of, what, a dozen quasar fire-class carriers? it's so over the top. in the mission where you rescue the victarum, it's, again, quasar fires and three star destroyers and you annihilate most of them without fanfare. how many fighters is that? i just checked Wookieepedia, and a single quasar fire carries forty-eight starfighters. when you fly through the rebel fleet, it's composed entirely of corellian corvettes and nebulon-bs with a single mon cal cruiser.

it doesn't help that every single character talks like they're a zany superhero instead of a soldier in a war. again, it's just a consequence of how game design has changed. people don't buy po-faced military simulators, they buy games where you hang out with whacky best friends who blast through dozens of enemies without a problem. eventually, though, I just wanted all the characters to just shut up for five minutes. the characters have exactly one note and, boy, do they play them loud. does keo have a single conversation where they don't mention a racing circuit? no one talks about squadrons or tactics or orders or whatever.

it's a dumb thing to complain about - ship variety and verisimilitude - when the game does the key things right. the gameplay is wonderful, the graphics are amazing. i doubt the majority of people give a poo poo that there's only one sort of imperial carrier and so on. but when I see the updated bulk freighters, I wonder what might've been...

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Isometric Bacon posted:

I mean, as a die hard xwing game fan back in the day i'm with you guys in spirit but...

have you seen those new star wars films?

This game is practically DCS in comparison.

honest to god, i forgot that film existed. but yes, the sequel films were out of tone too, in their own way. from poe 'one hell of a pilot'ing out like a dozen ties in ten seconds or to, uh, poe again shooting off every turret on the dreadnaught.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
that TIE Fighter TC is awesome. the remastered campaign is interesting but suffers from having so much stuff going on that the missions feel like they come down to random chance or they're practically self-playing.